USF Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
JPeavy44

New

USF Class of 2012

Post by JPeavy44 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:04 pm

Anyone set on University of San Francisco?

fakedoctor3

New

Re: USF Class of 2012

Post by fakedoctor3 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:03 am

51% :roll:
still waiting on 8 decisions to be rendered and i'm currently riding two WL's
U? did u go to ASD? i thoroughly enjoyed it
check out this thread for more info on usf http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =8&t=70016
btw what other schools were u considering?
what made you choose USF?

deadatheist

Bronze

Post by deadatheist » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:01 pm

anyone else get a recent scholarship increase?

deadatheist

Bronze

Post by deadatheist » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:02 pm

wtf happened to a normal usf thread? where'd it gooo, this out of control debt thread is ruining the search

njc

New

Post by njc » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:26 pm

deadatheist wrote:anyone else get a recent scholarship increase?
I got one earlier this month (right before the seat deposit deadline). Went from 0 to 18.5k. Wonder if I can try and swing more (yes I am greedy).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fakedoctor3

New

Post by fakedoctor3 » Fri May 01, 2009 11:29 pm

after a disappointing week of rejections and WL's
i am now 95% sure that i will be at USF this fall
trying to get enthused about this
we shall see what happens i plan on riding out
4 of my WL till the end (top-60 schools)
but i dont have much confidence

iono i enjoyed the ASD at USF and liked the campus and enjoyed
speaking to the other potential students

i know for sure that i will be choosing USF over SCU and McG
sent in my seat deposit already so we shall see what happens

this was a very tough week, i hope i can get excited about USF
and just appreciate the fact that i will be going to law school next year
but its hard to be happy b/c USF was a safety school for me...
whatevers

JPeavy44

New

Post by JPeavy44 » Sat May 02, 2009 2:44 am

USF was a safety for me too, but I am really excited to be attending in the fall. I think my mind is made up.

jr0008

New

Post by jr0008 » Sun May 03, 2009 3:50 pm

njc wrote:
deadatheist wrote:anyone else get a recent scholarship increase?
I got one earlier this month (right before the seat deposit deadline). Went from 0 to 18.5k. Wonder if I can try and swing more (yes I am greedy).

go for it! did you initially write to request an increase btw?

jr0008

New

Post by jr0008 » Sun May 03, 2009 3:54 pm

i'm about 70% sure i'll be there unless i get off one of the 3 WLs i've been on. everyone planning on moving into the city or commuting? (wish there was a bart stop by USF)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

njc

New

Post by njc » Mon May 04, 2009 12:01 pm

Did not write anything. They sent me a financial aid packet with no reward, but shortly after they sent me an email + a regular mail letter stating I was awarded a scholarship.

lwinkler

New

Post by lwinkler » Tue May 05, 2009 10:53 am

I'm set on USF and looking for roommates. Anyone?

jr0008

New

Post by jr0008 » Tue May 05, 2009 2:17 pm

well, guess it's USF for me! if only i could convince them to offer me a scholarship! has anyone had any luck with this?

i'll be living with my SO but wouldnt mind living with roommates. i have a few friends that did UG here and rented a house a few blocks away from campus...parking sucked but it seems like a good idea. i havent decided whether or not i will be commuting from the east bay or moving into the city yet. if anyone has any advice on this please let me know. thanks!

njc

New

Post by njc » Tue May 05, 2009 4:01 pm

jr0008 wrote:well, guess it's USF for me! if only i could convince them to offer me a scholarship! has anyone had any luck with this?

i'll be living with my SO but wouldnt mind living with roommates. i have a few friends that did UG here and rented a house a few blocks away from campus...parking sucked but it seems like a good idea. i havent decided whether or not i will be commuting from the east bay or moving into the city yet. if anyone has any advice on this please let me know. thanks!
I currently live in SF. I've been working in the city since 2006. I've lived in Outer Richmond, Noe Valley/Mission, SOMA, and now Financial District. I know the neighborhoods pretty well. The thing about USF and commuting from the east bay is that it is not anywhere close to a Bart station; rather you will have to bus it over there. Given that, know that USF is on the route (or at least very very close, mainly speaking about the 38s) to a LOT and I mean a LOT of different buses. This will help you get to the school fairly quickly.

Given all this, my opinion is to live in the city. If you are willing to live in the east bay (since it is cheaper) I think you will find outer richmond comparable in price when you consider that you don't ever have to ride Bart and you can use a muni pass at $45 a month (possibly rising soon though).

I do not know your situation though, maybe your SO needs to be on the east bay for some reason, but I do know it would be a great benefit for you to live in the city because of ease.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to shoot them out or PM me. I’ve lived all over the city so I can give you an idea if you have any places in mind.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jr0008

New

Post by jr0008 » Tue May 05, 2009 4:40 pm

njc wrote:
jr0008 wrote:well, guess it's USF for me! if only i could convince them to offer me a scholarship! has anyone had any luck with this?

I currently live in SF. I've been working in the city since 2006. I've lived in Outer Richmond, Noe Valley/Mission, SOMA, and now Financial District. I know the neighborhoods pretty well. The thing about USF and commuting from the east bay is that it is not anywhere close to a Bart station; rather you will have to bus it over there. Given that, know that USF is on the route (or at least very very close, mainly speaking about the 38s) to a LOT and I mean a LOT of different buses. This will help you get to the school fairly quickly.

Given all this, my opinion is to live in the city. If you are willing to live in the east bay (since it is cheaper) I think you will find outer richmond comparable in price when you consider that you don't ever have to ride Bart and you can use a muni pass at $45 a month (possibly rising soon though).

I do not know your situation though, maybe your SO needs to be on the east bay for some reason, but I do know it would be a great benefit for you to live in the city because of ease.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to shoot them out or PM me. I’ve lived all over the city so I can give you an idea if you have any places in mind.

thanks for the advice njc! i think it would be easier for me if i lived in the city but my SO works in the east bay. I tried looking for places in the city with parking but the prices and/or facilities are pretty bad. do you know the general range of prices for a studio/1bedroom with parking?

i was thinking of commuting ...taking casual carpool/bart into the city then the fulton 5 over to USF. do you think that sounds reasonable or am i crazy for considering such a commute during 1L? How long would it take to get to USF in general from the outer Richmond area?

njc

New

Post by njc » Tue May 05, 2009 5:22 pm

jr0008 wrote: thanks for the advice njc! i think it would be easier for me if i lived in the city but my SO works in the east bay. I tried looking for places in the city with parking but the prices and/or facilities are pretty bad. do you know the general range of prices for a studio/1bedroom with parking?

i was thinking of commuting ...taking casual carpool/bart into the city then the fulton 5 over to USF. do you think that sounds reasonable or am i crazy for considering such a commute during 1L? How long would it take to get to USF in general from the outer Richmond area?
Well in the outer richmond a lot of places do not have parking; however, when I lived in the outer richmond (granted I lived waay out there almost to the water) I never had an issue of finding a spot to park my car. If you live next to Golden gate park there is ALMOST always parking, BUT there is always shattered glass along Fulton on the Golden Gate park side (i.e. homeless or crackhead or both broke someone's car window) so I would advise not to park on Fulton next to the park. It is odd, but the other side of the street almost never had shattered glass (maybe they were afraid to cross the street?). Essentially the farther out you go the easier it is to find parking, and the less likely you need to pay for it.

With regards to commuting by bart and or casual carpool and then taking the Fulton 5 to USF, that isn't horrible, but it will definitely take between 1hr-1.5hrs. Which in all honesty is not that bad, but definitely not ideal when you consider round trip you are spending 2-3 hours of your day commuting. Living in the outer richmond your trip to USF will be at longest 30 mins. and like I said, there are a TON of buses. I feel like every 5 mins one comes along that is going through richmond. While I did have a car when I lived in outer richmond, I almost never drove to work (I worked in financial district) since the plethora of buses. If you actually wanted to drive to USF from outer richmond you can speed on Fulton and get there in 5-10 mins easy :twisted: .

Studio and 1 Bedrooms with parking in outer richmond are sorta rare because most people don't need them. Unlike some parts of SF most to all of the outer richmond is very safe so you don't have to worry about parking and walking a little bit. The prices of Studios/1BRs range from 600-1700. Big price differences, but if you are lucky you can find an inlaw with windows (some of them don't have one). When I lived there I paid $1200 with utils and laundry included and it was about 600sf for an inlaw. Granted my landlords did not speak English, but they were a super nice family that even gave me food on occasion and were more than happy to help if anything went wrong. I consider myself fortunate with regards to my stay in the outer richmond though. Not to mention Golden Gate Park and the Ocean is beautiful. Another good thing about the outer richmond is "New Chinatown" on Clement street. Super cheap groceries and significantly cleaner than china town. Now you are making me miss my time in the good ole outer richmond.

Good luck let me know if you have more questions.

jr0008

New

Post by jr0008 » Tue May 05, 2009 6:49 pm

njc wrote:
jr0008 wrote: thanks for the advice njc! i think it would be easier for me if i lived in the city but my SO works in the east bay. I tried looking for places in the city with parking but the prices and/or facilities are pretty bad. do you know the general range of prices for a studio/1bedroom with parking?

Well in the outer richmond a lot of places do not have parking; however, when I lived in the outer richmond (granted I lived waay out there almost to the water) I never had an issue of finding a spot to park my car. If you live next to Golden gate park there is ALMOST always parking, BUT there is always shattered glass along Fulton on the Golden Gate park side (i.e. homeless or crackhead or both broke someone's car window) so I would advise not to park on Fulton next to the park. It is odd, but the other side of the street almost never had shattered glass (maybe they were afraid to cross the street?). Essentially the farther out you go the easier it is to find parking, and the less likely you need to pay for it.

With regards to commuting by bart and or casual carpool and then taking the Fulton 5 to USF, that isn't horrible, but it will definitely take between 1hr-1.5hrs. Which in all honesty is not that bad, but definitely not ideal when you consider round trip you are spending 2-3 hours of your day commuting. Living in the outer richmond your trip to USF will be at longest 30 mins. and like I said, there are a TON of buses. I feel like every 5 mins one comes along that is going through richmond. While I did have a car when I lived in outer richmond, I almost never drove to work (I worked in financial district) since the plethora of buses. If you actually wanted to drive to USF from outer richmond you can speed on Fulton and get there in 5-10 mins easy :twisted: .

Studio and 1 Bedrooms with parking in outer richmond are sorta rare because most people don't need them. Unlike some parts of SF most to all of the outer richmond is very safe so you don't have to worry about parking and walking a little bit. The prices of Studios/1BRs range from 600-1700. Big price differences, but if you are lucky you can find an inlaw with windows (some of them don't have one). When I lived there I paid $1200 with utils and laundry included and it was about 600sf for an inlaw. Granted my landlords did not speak English, but they were a super nice family that even gave me food on occasion and were more than happy to help if anything went wrong. I consider myself fortunate with regards to my stay in the outer richmond though. Not to mention Golden Gate Park and the Ocean is beautiful. Another good thing about the outer richmond is "New Chinatown" on Clement street. Super cheap groceries and significantly cleaner than china town. Now you are making me miss my time in the good ole outer richmond.

Good luck let me know if you have more questions.

thanks njc! really appreciate the advice. i think i'll start looking for a place in the outer richmond...if it fails i guess i'll have to live with the east bay commute. my SO will be dropping me off at WOAK station and from there off @ powell and onto fulton 5....i guess it wont be so bad if i study during the commute. anyway, im off to search craigslist for some places in SF. thanks again. :D

lwinkler

New

Post by lwinkler » Fri May 08, 2009 1:59 pm

Hey guys. I set up a facebook group for USF class of 2012 if you are interested in further networking.

Here's the link: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/grou ... 9986174236

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JPeavy44

New

Post by JPeavy44 » Mon May 11, 2009 9:28 pm

where is everyone living?

fakedoctor3

New

Post by fakedoctor3 » Tue May 12, 2009 1:44 am

No se...somewhere in SF preferably in a decent neighborhood close to campus

i got an email last week about a housing forum being held in June

i believe i mentioned it before but i wouldnt mind connecting
with potential roomies through TLS assuming we have
compatible expectations and habits...

btw what's up with fin-aid and financing law school
please share your plans if you have any

i have 10 days to accept my loan according to my paperwork
and still do not know what i should do

justlove16

New

Post by justlove16 » Tue May 12, 2009 2:22 am

did you get the housing email in your standard email or in your usf email account? i never received one

fakedoctor3

New

Post by fakedoctor3 » Tue May 12, 2009 2:41 am

my standard email
the one i entered when submitting my app

you should of received it in your inbox
for the email that you have been receiving all communications
from USF from

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

justlove16

New

Post by justlove16 » Tue May 12, 2009 2:56 am

did you register for the forum before you received the email. and btw, there isnt very much info on what this forum is all about on the site. was there more info in the email?

fakedoctor3

New

Post by fakedoctor3 » Tue May 12, 2009 3:14 am

negative, the email
has a link to register for the forum
and i have yet to register, i believe the reg deadline is 6/1
the email was informative...and is an absolute must read
for any potential USF law student

perhaps call the school tomorrow and say a "friend" received
an email about the housing forum on 6/12 and you have yet to
receive yours

i did this prior to the ASD, b/c i did not receive an email after i RSVP'd
some low level office worker had misspelled the email address i had written on my RSVP

mistakes happen

justlove16

New

Post by justlove16 » Tue May 12, 2009 3:34 am

thanks

JPeavy44

New

Post by JPeavy44 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:10 pm

How's everyone doing on housing?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?