Arizona State 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Mr. Costello

New

Re: Arizona State 2012

Post by Mr. Costello » Wed May 20, 2009 7:58 pm

So one should essentially make moves toward residency immediately and then, after 12 months, one submits his petition - is this correct?

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Wed May 20, 2009 8:16 pm

thefalls wrote:
sanpiero wrote:Has anyone else talked to admissions regarding obtaining AZ residency for 2L as a 1L non-resident? The Director of Admissions explained to me that the university's financial aid/residency staff is very good in this regard and many 1Ls end-up obtaining residency for their final two years. Those who fail to do so are usually those who aren't meticulous in following the university's instruction, she affirmed.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has an explanation for why this is the case at ASU, while at U of A most out-of-staters don't obtain residency until 3L, if at all. I have heard from at least two current UA law students that it is nearly impossible to obtain residency for 2L without owning property in AZ.

If anyone can shed some light on the truth behind this apparent paradox, it would be much appreciated. Being from wayyyyy out of state, I have no real way of knowing which school, if either, is painting a more accurate picture.
Here's a tip: find out whether these two UA students had been supported by their parents in the year before they entered law school. AZ residency rules clearly state you cannot rely on your parents for financial support for two years before you re-classify.

Here are the in-state classification requirements, from ASU's residency page:

1. I am financially independent and:

I established a domicile in Arizona and have been physically present continuously for twelve months prior to the start of the semester for which I am requesting residency, and
I have not been claimed as a tax dependent by any other individual in the last two tax years, and
I have demonstrated the intent to be an Arizona resident for twelve months, and
I have been completely self-supporting during the last two years, including paying my own tuition and living expenses from self-generated funds.

(http://students.asu.edu/residencyreclassificationsurvey)
Thanks, falls. The part I bolded is a really good point. I'd venture to guess that this is exactly why the folks I talked to at UA spoke of 2L residency as a near impossibility. Luckily, I took a year off between UG and LS, have been financially independent for the last twelve months and wasn't claimed on my parents 2008 tax return. Hopefully this means I won't have any trouble as long as I do all the little things to prove intent.

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Wed May 20, 2009 8:33 pm

Mr. Costello wrote:So one should essentially make moves toward residency immediately and then, after 12 months, one submits his petition - is this correct?
Yes, this is correct. This ASU site has a lot of useful info: http://students.asu.edu/residency

Here is the 2009 version of the reclassification petition you'll want to submit in 2010: http://students.asu.edu/node/2060

Mr. Costello

New

Post by Mr. Costello » Thu May 21, 2009 12:48 am

Thanks!

Jordan77

Bronze

Post by Jordan77 » Wed May 27, 2009 1:59 am

Congrats to everyone attending ASU... it really is a great law school. I am going to be a 3L at ASU next year, but thought I could shed some light on the Scottsdale thing. I live in North Scottsdale, right next to the 101... the good thing is that in the mornings going to Tempe from Scottsdale is pretty much traffic free (most of the traffic goes the opposite direction in the morning). I leave at 7:45 for an 8:30 class and normally get there with about 20-25 minutes to spare. The closest parking structure to the law school is called the "Rural Road Structure" which is like a 1-2 minute walk. The parking in that structure is expensive for the year something like $720? Can't remember the specifics, but it is up there. There are cheaper options available that will require a little more walking.

There are a lot of options as far as apartments available to you in Tempe. Keep in mind that some of the apartments closer to campus might be full of undergrads who like to party... so you might want to get a feel for them before signing the lease... the farther you get away from campus the more quiet the apartments should be.

Scottsdale is a very very nice area, but more expensive. There is also the lightrail that stops just north of campus and goes into downtown Phoenix.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Thu May 28, 2009 1:15 pm

Jordan77 wrote:Congrats to everyone attending ASU... it really is a great law school. I am going to be a 3L at ASU next year, but thought I could shed some light on the Scottsdale thing. I live in North Scottsdale, right next to the 101... the good thing is that in the mornings going to Tempe from Scottsdale is pretty much traffic free (most of the traffic goes the opposite direction in the morning). I leave at 7:45 for an 8:30 class and normally get there with about 20-25 minutes to spare. The closest parking structure to the law school is called the "Rural Road Structure" which is like a 1-2 minute walk. The parking in that structure is expensive for the year something like $720? Can't remember the specifics, but it is up there. There are cheaper options available that will require a little more walking.

There are a lot of options as far as apartments available to you in Tempe. Keep in mind that some of the apartments closer to campus might be full of undergrads who like to party... so you might want to get a feel for them before signing the lease... the farther you get away from campus the more quiet the apartments should be.

Scottsdale is a very very nice area, but more expensive. There is also the lightrail that stops just north of campus and goes into downtown Phoenix.
Thanks for the info, Jordan. How is ASU's placement in mid and large-sized firms in Phoenix? Would you say you have to be in the top 20% of the class to have a shot at the larger firms in Phoenix? Are there many job opportunities in Southern CA? How bad was Fall and Spring OCI this past school year? More than anything, I'd just like to know how well ASU places in larger firms within its region.

Thanks in advance for your help.

wildcatsss

New

Post by wildcatsss » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:38 am

sanpiero wrote:
Jordan77 wrote:Congrats to everyone attending ASU... it really is a great law school. I am going to be a 3L at ASU next year, but thought I could shed some light on the Scottsdale thing. I live in North Scottsdale, right next to the 101... the good thing is that in the mornings going to Tempe from Scottsdale is pretty much traffic free (most of the traffic goes the opposite direction in the morning). I leave at 7:45 for an 8:30 class and normally get there with about 20-25 minutes to spare. The closest parking structure to the law school is called the "Rural Road Structure" which is like a 1-2 minute walk. The parking in that structure is expensive for the year something like $720? Can't remember the specifics, but it is up there. There are cheaper options available that will require a little more walking.

Thanks for the info, Jordan. How is ASU's placement in mid and large-sized firms in Phoenix? Would you say you have to be in the top 20% of the class to have a shot at the larger firms in Phoenix? Are there many job opportunities in Southern CA? How bad was Fall and Spring OCI this past school year? More than anything, I'd just like to know how well ASU places in larger firms within its region.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Hey Sanpiero - I visited ASU a couple of weeks ago and talked to Ms. Soto about that very topic. Because ASU is pretty much the only law school in Phoenix, it has first dibs on the legal market there - which is as "biglaw" as you're going to get in Arizona. There are a lot of U of A grads that come up to Phoenix to practice, but generally ASU has the most presence in that area. She also said that behind Phoenix, Southern California is where the most grads practice (I had actually never heard this about ASU before, only U of A, so I was somewhat skeptical, but the stats back it up).

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:19 am

EBrown1 wrote:Anyone know where you're living yet? Apartment recs would be really helpful.
I'm from NY, so I really have to clue where to live either, but this place looks really nice and is within walking distance of the law school (~15 min. walk):

http://www.pinnacleholdingsinc.com/apar ... partments/

2BR/2BA from $790-840/mo. sounds really reasonable. Are any future 1Ls looking for a roommate this Fall?
Last edited by sanpiero on Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:21 am

This place looks less nice and only offers 2BR/1.5BA, but it's a little bit closer to the law school than Las Palmas:

--LinkRemoved--

The 2BRs are $850/mo.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:23 am

I saw that we have a facebook group. Does anyone know who the admin is? i'm still waiting to be approved.

readysetgo

New

Post by readysetgo » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:23 pm

I think the admin for the facebook group is also an admitted student in our class...

crapcycle

New

Post by crapcycle » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:13 pm

anyone get any information on the "june" letter of intent?

Mr. Costello

New

Post by Mr. Costello » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:59 pm

crapcycle wrote:anyone get any information on the "june" letter of intent?

Just spoke with admissions... They'll e-mail you the "letter of intent" which will contain a link to a webpage document that you will have to fill out.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bbvk05

New

Post by bbvk05 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:48 pm

readysetgo wrote:I'm thinking about living downtown
Downtown Phoenix? you might want to rethink that.

crapcycle

New

Post by crapcycle » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:21 am

bbvk05 wrote:

wow, that response was just crammed with useful facts!

downtown wouldn't be too terrible, just look for easy access to light rail and in the morning everyone else is going the opposite direction

there are some sweet old buildings that turned into condos there

ubermensch

New

Post by ubermensch » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:17 am

bbvk05 wrote: Downtown Phoenix? you might want to rethink that.
+1
crapcycle wrote: downtown wouldn't be too terrible...
Yes, yes it would. Unless of course you like prostitutes, drug dealers, homeless people, and a long commute.

paprbck2

New

Post by paprbck2 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:35 pm

Has anyone actually gotten their Letter of Intent e-mail yet? Anyone know when this month to expect this?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mr. Costello

New

Post by Mr. Costello » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:15 pm

paprbck2 wrote:Has anyone actually gotten their Letter of Intent e-mail yet? Anyone know when this month to expect this?
I received it today... it's due by June 30th.

readysetgo

New

Post by readysetgo » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:25 pm

bbvk05 wrote:

Thanks for the advice...but I do live in Phoenix and know the downtown area well. I think it has way more character than Tempe, which is why I'm choosing to live there. Obviously, I'm going to be smart and not live in a sketchy neighborhood, but like someone else stated, there are a lot of cool buildings/houses to live in. And also the commute on the light rail is not horrible, and could even give me some time to do some reading.

Plus, I went to USC...so I'm pretty used to the homeless people :)

crapcycle

New

Post by crapcycle » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:21 pm

yeah I was gonna say...phoenix's "inner city" could only really be scary if you spent your whole life in suburbia... anyone with relevant city living experience would find phoenix to be pretty decent in comparison

what large city DOESN'T have hookers and drug dealers roaming around? it sure beats Baltimore, Detroit, Houston, etc

ubermensch

New

Post by ubermensch » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:39 pm

crapcycle wrote: what large city DOESN'T have hookers and drug dealers roaming around? it sure beats Baltimore, Detroit, Houston, etc
Whether other cities have these sketchy parts of town is irrelevant. There are seemingly infinite housing options within convenient distance from campus, and most of them don't require constantly looking over your shoulder.
Why anyone would choose to live in a shitty part of town boggles my mind. It's not like these areas have some great cultural aspect that can't be had elsewhere. They're just shitty.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

crapcycle

New

Post by crapcycle » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:10 pm

ubermensch wrote:
crapcycle wrote: what large city DOESN'T have hookers and drug dealers roaming around? it sure beats Baltimore, Detroit, Houston, etc
Whether other cities have these sketchy parts of town is irrelevant. There are seemingly infinite housing options within convenient distance from campus, and most of them don't require constantly looking over your shoulder.
Why anyone would choose to live in a shitty part of town boggles my mind. It's not like these areas have some great cultural aspect that can't be had elsewhere. They're just shitty.

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, your opinion, man..." -The Dude

constantly looking over your shoulder? sounds a little paranoid, not everyone living in lesser conditions than what you're used to is a thief or murderer... unless you have some kind of gang affiliations you're not revealing, it sounds like you're from Stepford

just playing dude, it is kinda shitty compared to some of the burbs, but moms in minivans and old rich white people are scary too...

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:43 pm

Last edited by RVP11 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SparkyLives

Bronze

Post by SparkyLives » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:54 am

JSUVA2012 wrote:Downtown Phoenix is by no means as safe or clean as some other major city downtowns (Dallas's comes to mind), but you are acting like it's a pit. A lot of Tempe is shitty, too, and it's not exactly crime-free.

Stay north of Jefferson and east of about 7th Avenue and you'll be fine. With the lightrail and restaurant developments, downtown is rapidly becoming a more fashionable and popular place to live.

And west of 12th street. The Garfield neighborhood is historically designated, but is also scary as hell.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:57 am

Last edited by RVP11 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”