Seattle University Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Marmot

Bronze

Seattle University Class of 2012

Post by Marmot » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:45 pm

There are a few of us kicking around. Who else?

The Facebook group (join by request) is here if you'd like to join. Anyone moving to Seattle who has questions about neighborhoods and logistics might want to ask here.

TheRyanocerous

Bronze

Re: Seattle University Class of 2012

Post by TheRyanocerous » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:24 am

Ill be there... and I'm in the facebook group...

Rsrcht

Bronze

Post by Rsrcht » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:12 pm

I'll be there. Good times on Capitol Hill.

Katy Louise

New

Post by Katy Louise » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:51 pm

Is anybody thinking of going in the Summer, instead of the Fall?

Marmot

Bronze

Post by Marmot » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:01 pm

Yup, I'm taking the June criminal law class. I've been out of school about 4 years now, so I figure that's a good way to ease back into it. On top of that, I can't think of a better city to spend the summer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheRyanocerous

Bronze

Post by TheRyanocerous » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:33 pm

I'm starting in the fall. I need a break LOL.

cmaho9qy

New

Post by cmaho9qy » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:27 am

I will be there in the fall! I'm using the summer for finishing up my job, road tripping from Boston to Seattle and... relaxing. Can't wait to be living in Seattle! How many of you are planning to live in the Cap Hill area?

Rsrcht

Bronze

Post by Rsrcht » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:03 am

Will drive x-country from MI, visit in-laws in Portland, then head north. I'll probably get a place in Cap Hill area.

TheRyanocerous

Bronze

Post by TheRyanocerous » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:51 am

USNEWS- Seattle University- 77

Moved up 5 spots in the rankings, and number 1 for legal writing. Pretty cool.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cmaho9qy

New

Post by cmaho9qy » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:40 am

I have noticed that their administration seems less accomodating than some other places I had considered. Hopefully this won't have much of a negative effect on our time there. My alma mater had a terrible admin. system which wasn't noticable very often, but was an enormous pain in the ass when you had to deal with it. Anybody else had this experience or has that just been me? I'm referring specifically to my interactions with the Office of Admissions. I always feel like I've been an annoyance when they respond to my emails (and it isn't as if I've sent 100 of them... maybe 3).

On the plus side, this has been my only negative observation thus far. I love the location of the campus, the student body seems very dynamic, and hooray for +5 from USNews! Also, I've been told time and again by practicing attorneys that the ability to communicate effectively in writing is the key component to being successful as a lawyer. It seems like it bodes very well for us that SU's writing program is now being referred to as #1.

What is everyone's plan in terms of living arrangements in Seattle? Are you guys mostly from the area, or are you planning on living on your own or with roommates? I'm considering living on my own... fewer distractions. On the other hand that tends to be more expensive... anywho, just curious what others are doing :)

MllwGold

New

Post by MllwGold » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:46 am

I am also in the Class of 2012 and will be moving at some point in the summer. I just requested the Facebook group! I'm coming from the South and am still a little shaky on my plans. I'd love to live in Cap Hill area!

Katy Louise

New

Post by Katy Louise » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:51 am

cmaho9qy wrote:I have noticed that their administration seems less accomodating than some other places I had considered. Hopefully this won't have much of a negative effect on our time there. My alma mater had a terrible admin. system which wasn't noticable very often, but was an enormous pain in the ass when you had to deal with it. Anybody else had this experience or has that just been me? I'm referring specifically to my interactions with the Office of Admissions. I always feel like I've been an annoyance when they respond to my emails (and it isn't as if I've sent 100 of them... maybe 3).

On the plus side, this has been my only negative observation thus far. I love the location of the campus, the student body seems very dynamic, and hooray for +5 from USNews! Also, I've been told time and again by practicing attorneys that the ability to communicate effectively in writing is the key component to being successful as a lawyer. It seems like it bodes very well for us that SU's writing program is now being referred to as #1.

What is everyone's plan in terms of living arrangements in Seattle? Are you guys mostly from the area, or are you planning on living on your own or with roommates? I'm considering living on my own... fewer distractions. On the other hand that tends to be more expensive... anywho, just curious what others are doing :)
My undergrad had a pretty terrible admin as well. I have not had a negative experience with SU admin, but they are not as outgoing and friendly as other admission offices have been.

I plan on finding an apartment in Capital Hill and will be living with my husband. I am really looking forward to moving out to the area (we are from Omaha, NE). I am going there this weekend to visit and try to get a feel for the area.

Rsrcht

Bronze

Post by Rsrcht » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:55 am

I think their administration is small so they will run into bottlenecks from time to time. A few weeks ago for example, one of their staff was away for an emergency, I believe, and the office slowed down a bit. Their career office has also been said to be unresponsive to certain needs, but I haven't personally confirmed this.

They have a good reputation in the Seattle area. Legal writing skills are probably one of the more useful set of skills to have as a lawyer along with knowledge of building/running a practice, which they don't teach at any law school.

I'll be living with my wife somewhere close by. I'm looking for a decent sized one bedroom apt for a reasonable price.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

emilyadi

New

Post by emilyadi » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:43 pm

I'll be living with my boyfriend up in First Hill. Gotta love the 5 minute walk with piroshkis on the way...

Marmot

Bronze

Post by Marmot » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:02 am

cmaho9qy wrote:I have noticed that their administration seems less accomodating than some other places I had considered. Hopefully this won't have much of a negative effect on our time there. My alma mater had a terrible admin. system which wasn't noticable very often, but was an enormous pain in the ass when you had to deal with it. Anybody else had this experience or has that just been me? I'm referring specifically to my interactions with the Office of Admissions. I always feel like I've been an annoyance when they respond to my emails (and it isn't as if I've sent 100 of them... maybe 3).

My UG was pretty awful for administrative red tape, and thus far my dealings with the admissions and financial aid offices at SU have been pretty positive -- they generally get back to me within 24 hours or so. I also didn't realize my eligibility for the Community Service Stipend AFTER my initial application, but they were willing to hold off until I could get my materials in.

During the summer I'll be living with some friends in the Greenwood neighborhood, which is a bit of a ways north of campus (but a lovely neighborhood). I'll probably look for a place in Capitol Hill, First Hill or Eastlake for the fall. If anyone's wondering, I definitely recommend those three neighborhoods unless you're willing to commute by bike, car or bus.

J Mack

New

Post by J Mack » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:52 am

I'm in, living two blocks south of campus.

J Mack

New

Post by J Mack » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:05 pm

p.s. starting this summer, hoping to get on the existing law school intramural soccer team, living in capital hill, from atlanta, undergrad at U of Memphis, moving to seattle may 16

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

macattaq

Bronze

Post by macattaq » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:51 pm

Just sent in my seat deposit. I'll be starting in the summer, but my job doesn't end until June 15, so I'll likely be coming up the next day.

I am going to stay with my gf's sister a few miles away from the school while I apartment hunt, and we'll most likely be staying in the Capitol Hill area.

cmaho9qy

New

Post by cmaho9qy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:24 am

Finally got my snail mail acceptance (3 weeks later) and scholarship (woo hoo!) in the mail yesterday. Sending in my seat deposit on Monday!

Living within walking distance is definitely an attractive prospect... I live in Boston now, and I love that I can walk/bike/take the T pretty much anywhere I need to go. On the other hand, my boyfriend lives in the Greenlake area, and I really love it up there. I'm not sure that it would be worth the stress/time of the commute in the mornings (assuming I have morning classes) though. I guess we'll see! I'll be arriving in early July and staying with him while I apartment hunt, so that will give me a better idea.

Is anybody taking advantage of the Dell comp. purchase program through the school? I don't have a laptop currently, and it seems like that is a pretty good deal... not being much of a computer person I like the idea of getting something that comes equipped with everything I'll need for Law School.

TheRyanocerous

Bronze

Post by TheRyanocerous » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:45 am

cmaho9qy wrote:Finally got my snail mail acceptance (3 weeks later) and scholarship (woo hoo!) in the mail yesterday. Sending in my seat deposit on Monday!

Living within walking distance is definitely an attractive prospect... I live in Boston now, and I love that I can walk/bike/take the T pretty much anywhere I need to go. On the other hand, my boyfriend lives in the Greenlake area, and I really love it up there. I'm not sure that it would be worth the stress/time of the commute in the mornings (assuming I have morning classes) though. I guess we'll see! I'll be arriving in early July and staying with him while I apartment hunt, so that will give me a better idea.

Is anybody taking advantage of the Dell comp. purchase program through the school? I don't have a laptop currently, and it seems like that is a pretty good deal... not being much of a computer person I like the idea of getting something that comes equipped with everything I'll need for Law School.
I'm going to order a dell through them to get the education discount, but I'm not getting their recommended system. It seems kind of overpriced and bulky for what it is. You can build a nicer computer on dells website for cheaper, so I’m going to do that.

MllwGold

New

Post by MllwGold » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:53 am

cmaho9qy wrote:Finally got my snail mail acceptance (3 weeks later) and scholarship (woo hoo!) in the mail yesterday. Sending in my seat deposit on Monday!

I want a Mac. :-)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ria29

New

Post by ria29 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:45 pm

I'm sorry, 3 weeks after what? after status checker?
I just went complete this past week and I applied all the way back in early Feb!

Congrats on the acceptance and scholly!!!

cmaho9qy

New

Post by cmaho9qy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:28 pm

Yes, after status checker. Sorry, I think I mentioned that in another thread before... too many threads.

Thanks for the congrats, and good luck to you! Is SU your first choice?

cmaho9qy

New

Post by cmaho9qy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:33 pm

MllwGold wrote:

I want a Mac. :-)

I wouldn't mind having a Mac myself, but I like the idea of having a Dell at a school with a Tech Center that is a Dell certified repair center. I recognize that this whole thing is just one more Microsoft driven marketing scheme, but as a non-tech person (as non-tech as you can be as a member of our generation, anyway), I'm attracted to the idea of having a built in computer fixing department, haha.

macattaq

Bronze

Post by macattaq » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:37 pm

Meh...Apple has really good customer service. I've heard of them replacing screens, hard drives, and essentially rebuilding computers for very simple, unrelated issues.

On a side note: this housing search is much more difficult than I anticipated. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”