Seattle University Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Rsrcht

Bronze

Re: Seattle University Class of 2012

Post by Rsrcht » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:39 pm

macattaq wrote:Meh...Apple has really good customer service. I've heard of them replacing screens, hard drives, and essentially rebuilding computers for very simple, unrelated issues.

On a side note: this housing search is much more difficult than I anticipated. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Go foreclosure trawling. Craigslist can be helpful for apts.

TheRyanocerous

Bronze

Post by TheRyanocerous » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:43 pm

Look up the different rental agencies in the area and call them up and see what they have available. Most of them have web sites to that tell you when all of their houses will be available for rent. Also craigslist.

MllwGold

New

Post by MllwGold » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:52 pm

macattaq wrote:Meh...Apple has really good customer service. I've heard of them replacing screens, hard drives, and essentially rebuilding computers for very simple, unrelated issues.

On a side note: this housing search is much more difficult than I anticipated. Does anyone have any suggestions?

My hubby just found this website: http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/WA-Seattle.html

Craiglist is of course the other way to go. I've read that to find a place in Capitol Hill you have to drive around and find "for rent" signs. I'll be there in June trying to find a place.

Katy Louise

New

Post by Katy Louise » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:13 pm

cmaho9qy wrote:
MllwGold wrote:
cmaho9qy wrote:Finally got my snail mail acceptance (3 weeks later) and scholarship (woo hoo!) in the mail yesterday. Sending in my seat deposit on Monday!

Living within walking distance is definitely an attractive prospect... I live in Boston now, and I love that I can walk/bike/take the T pretty much anywhere I need to go. On the other hand, my boyfriend lives in the Greenlake area, and I really love it up there. I'm not sure that it would be worth the stress/time of the commute in the mornings (assuming I have morning classes) though. I guess we'll see! I'll be arriving in early July and staying with him while I apartment hunt, so that will give me a better idea.

Is anybody taking advantage of the Dell comp. purchase program through the school? I don't have a laptop currently, and it seems like that is a pretty good deal... not being much of a computer person I like the idea of getting something that comes equipped with everything I'll need for Law School.
I was just at SU and I asked the student rep about a Mac. She admitted she didn't know very much about computers, but she said that she had heard of multiple Macs crashing due to incompatable testing software used by professors. This sounds improbable, but I thought I would let people know.

I want a Mac. :-)

I wouldn't mind having a Mac myself, but I like the idea of having a Dell at a school with a Tech Center that is a Dell certified repair center. I recognize that this whole thing is just one more Microsoft driven marketing scheme, but as a non-tech person (as non-tech as you can be as a member of our generation, anyway), I'm attracted to the idea of having a built in computer fixing department, haha.

emilyadi

New

Post by emilyadi » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:13 pm

I decided not to go for the dell, but rather a lenovo t400. It seems to be a very well built computer and I was able to use a teaching discount which really reduced the price. Gotta use my discount while I still can!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Marmot

Bronze

Post by Marmot » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:07 pm

emilyadi wrote:I decided not to go for the dell, but rather a lenovo t400. It seems to be a very well built computer and I was able to use a teaching discount which really reduced the price. Gotta use my discount while I still can!
Yeah, I got a T500 for similar reasons when they had a pretty huge discount over Easter weekend. Hopefully it ships before I move, for cryin' out loud.

cdube85

New

Post by cdube85 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:54 am

I'm thinking about getting a netbook. I do everything on the internet anyways. Maybe the Asus EPC

Rsrcht

Bronze

Post by Rsrcht » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:10 pm

I'm going to wait on a netbook. I read a few reviews that said it can be jerky and startup of programs is slow, especially on Win Vista.

Rsrcht

Bronze

Post by Rsrcht » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:59 pm

I received a solicitation today from SU. Seattle wants me to buy a Dell.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cmaho9qy

New

Post by cmaho9qy » Fri May 01, 2009 11:58 am

Rsrcht wrote:I received a solicitation today from SU. Seattle wants me to buy a Dell.
haha, ditto.

And I did, but not one of the ones in their purchase program. You can build your own essentially the same with all necessary components, plus a 1 TB external hard drive, extra car chargers, and extended waranty, and... etc. for the same price as their mid level option in the purchase program. What a rip off.

Also, got my financial aid package in the mail yesterday... time to start crunching numbers. Sigh.

macattaq

Bronze

Post by macattaq » Fri May 01, 2009 12:50 pm

Rsrcht wrote:I'm going to wait on a netbook. I read a few reviews that said it can be jerky and startup of programs is slow, especially on Win Vista.
Friends don't let friends run Vista.

cdViking

New

Post by cdViking » Fri May 01, 2009 4:01 pm

I'll be there in the fall. I already work in the area (across the street from the front entrance to Virginia Mason), so I thankfully don't have to geographically adjust. My boss wants me to see if I can use my work study here; any idea if there are any limitations as to where I can use work study (ie we already have a work study program set up, but its a biotech firm, not really legal-related).

CHriscatcher14

New

Post by CHriscatcher14 » Sat May 02, 2009 11:28 pm

I am starting this Summer and was down at S.U. using the law library for one of my last undergrad classes today. I cannot wait to get started. I see many of you are moving to Seattle and fortunately for me I already live in Seattle. I will be in South Seattle in the White Center area, so I will commute everyday. I am going to start in the night program for the first year and continue working with my Dad who runs his own business and needs my help occasionally.

Even though I am starting in the night program I am hoping to be around during the days using my work study then and getting to know those of you who are day students because I am looking at after my first year starting in the day program, because my circumstances are due to change then.

I look forward to being apart of this forum and most importantly being apart of the class of 2012 at Seattle University School of Law!!!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

macattaq

Bronze

Post by macattaq » Sun May 03, 2009 10:35 am

--

cdube85

New

Post by cdube85 » Mon May 04, 2009 10:13 pm

Got a folder with alumni information, a couple of maps, and sba information in the mail today. Anyone know how to get your computer ID?

cmaho9qy

New

Post by cmaho9qy » Wed May 06, 2009 11:42 am

cdube85 wrote:Got a folder with alumni information, a couple of maps, and sba information in the mail today. Anyone know how to get your computer ID?
Computer ID?

MllwGold

New

Post by MllwGold » Wed May 06, 2009 11:53 am

cmaho9qy wrote:
cdube85 wrote:Got a folder with alumni information, a couple of maps, and sba information in the mail today. Anyone know how to get your computer ID?
Computer ID?
I think they will send our IDs this summer for those starting in the Fall. I'm unsure for those of you starting in a month.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

macattaq

Bronze

Post by macattaq » Wed May 06, 2009 1:04 pm

I called the school on Monday and asked about student IDs and whatnot. They said that info will be distributed on Spring Visit Day, or mailed the following day if you don't attend. I would assume computer IDs, or the ability to register and create one, will be included with this.

ichiro

New

Post by ichiro » Wed May 06, 2009 1:35 pm

So who's planning to attend the Spring Visit Day? It seems like a great opportunity to check out the school. What do you plan to bring? Wear?

jjones78

New

Post by jjones78 » Thu May 07, 2009 3:07 pm

has anyone heard about job prospects at seattle u? i've heard only top 25% have good job prospects. and that was in a good economy. anyone else heard anything/considered this in attending seattle u?

Marmot

Bronze

Post by Marmot » Fri May 08, 2009 1:18 am

jjones78 wrote:has anyone heard about job prospects at seattle u? i've heard only top 25% have good job prospects. and that was in a good economy. anyone else heard anything/considered this in attending seattle u?
Yup. The long and the short of it is this: I want to live in Seattle for the rest of my life, and I didn't get into elite schools or UW. Seattle U is the best choice available for what I want to do. I'm also lucky enough to have some pretty good networks in place already, both locally and nationally.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

stuffnuff

New

Post by stuffnuff » Fri May 08, 2009 1:35 am

Marmot wrote:
jjones78 wrote:has anyone heard about job prospects at seattle u? i've heard only top 25% have good job prospects. and that was in a good economy. anyone else heard anything/considered this in attending seattle u?
Yup. The long and the short of it is this: I want to live in Seattle for the rest of my life, and I didn't get into elite schools or UW. Seattle U is the best choice available for what I want to do. I'm also lucky enough to have some pretty good networks in place already, both locally and nationally.
Makes sense to me.

jjones78

New

Post by jjones78 » Fri May 08, 2009 1:21 pm

stuffnuff wrote:
Marmot wrote:
Makes sense to me.
It doesn't make sense to me. I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from going to Seattle U, obviously you've made up your mind, but just because you want to do something doesn't mean you'll actually get a job doing it. Maybe if you can't get into UW or the elite schools, you shouldn't be in law school? It's not like there is a massive lawyer shortage giving you the chance to single-handedly save the day.

150K is a lot to pay for a 25% chance at a job paying 50K.

The thing I heard from Seattle U that puzzled me was the emphasis on "Social Justice". If you want to do social justice, join the Peace Corps or Americorps, it's a lot cheaper. Or volunteer after work.

macattaq

Bronze

Post by macattaq » Fri May 08, 2009 2:27 pm

jjones78 wrote:
stuffnuff wrote:
Marmot wrote:
Makes sense to me.
It doesn't make sense to me. I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from going to Seattle U, obviously you've made up your mind, but just because you want to do something doesn't mean you'll actually get a job doing it. Maybe if you can't get into UW or the elite schools, you shouldn't be in law school? It's not like there is a massive lawyer shortage giving you the chance to single-handedly save the day.

150K is a lot to pay for a 25% chance at a job paying 50K.

The thing I heard from Seattle U that puzzled me was the emphasis on "Social Justice". If you want to do social justice, join the Peace Corps or Americorps, it's a lot cheaper. Or volunteer after work.
Wow. You're an elitist asshole who can't see outside their own narrow view of the world, aren't you? Why don't you fuck off? Kthx, bye.

PhantaManta

Bronze

Post by PhantaManta » Fri May 08, 2009 2:33 pm

So you 'heard' you only have a 25% chance to make 50k? So where did you 'hear' this?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”