University of Arizona Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
ClemsonGrad

New

University of Arizona Class of 2012

Post by ClemsonGrad » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:02 pm

Well, this is where I will be - anyone else?

CamilleElise

New

Re: University of Arizona Class of 2012

Post by CamilleElise » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:16 am

well...i am accepted to U of AZ, but i don't know for sure where i will be going.

it's between there and pepperdine for me.
i'm visiting on the ASD next saturday.

AZisHOTgetmeout

New

Post by AZisHOTgetmeout » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:59 pm

CamilleElise wrote:well...i am accepted to U of AZ, but i don't know for sure where i will be going.

it's between there and pepperdine for me.
i'm visiting on the ASD next saturday.
i'll be there too, on saturday.

ubermensch

New

Post by ubermensch » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:41 pm

I visited last week, and I was a little underwhelmed. The price is right, and U of A places really well in AZ, but I just wasn't impressed. Tucson is sorta dumpy in general (not trying to offend) and the school seemed small and unattractive.

I know aesthetics aren't THAT important, but I was trying to decide between U of A with $$ and a higher ranked school, and the visit pretty much made up my mind. :?

moonpie

New

Post by moonpie » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:44 pm

just got the acceptance package today! i'll be there saturday too :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

People's Eyebrow

New

Post by People's Eyebrow » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:33 pm

I'll be there on Sat too. Anyone down to hang out?

ClemsonGrad

New

Post by ClemsonGrad » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:57 am

Yea I am for sure. What hotel are you staying in?

EDIT: I am going to be in the four points sheraton.

CamilleElise

New

Post by CamilleElise » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:37 pm

I am down for hanging out too. I fly in Friday fly back out Saturday. I'm staying with a family friend though.

AZisHOTgetmeout

New

Post by AZisHOTgetmeout » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:59 pm

i agree that tucson is kind of dumpy. i live in phoenix and it is a lot newer. the area around the university is lame and old and looks crappy. it is very underwhelming. but north and east of there (in the foothills area) it is nicer and that is probably where i will live. the law school itself is smaller (it is a smaller class so it makes sense) but it is brand new. all in all i can see myself enjoying 3 years down in tucson enough and then moving to phoenix when i'm done.

hope to meet some of you there Saturday!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zonawildcat

New

Post by zonawildcat » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:35 pm

I sent in my seat deposit this week, so I will be joining everyone.

ClemsonGrad

New

Post by ClemsonGrad » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:41 pm

Anyone else staying at the 4 points sheraton? I will be getting in Friday afternoon so will have a lot of free time. If anyone wants to check out campus or get some dinner/drinks, let me know.

zonawildcat

New

Post by zonawildcat » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:17 pm

I would, but I have a club event on Friday. If you want some good mexican food I would suggest Guadaljara Grill. Its pretty close to campus. http://www.ggrill.com/. They have good happy hour from 4-6, cheap margaritas. You could also do Frog and Firken on University, which has pretty good pizza and a lot of stuff on tap. Also, for drinks I would suggest Champs (more upscale) on Campbell and 6th, Old Dubliner on University, or if you are looking for more of the college bar type place, you can try 4th avenue. O'malleys is the popular bar on Fourth, but a lot of people like Bison Wich or the Shanty on 4th. The Shanty has a nice patio and you can play pool in a place thats not that crowded. Its really small enough where you can walk up and down and pick your place. Gentle Ben's on University is a brewery and has decent food, it can have a big crowd on Saturdays and sometimes Thursdays/Fridays. There is also hotel congress, which is a really old hotel, that still operates, but has a club, bar, and outdoor stage. It probably won't be that busy on Friday, most people go out on Thursdays. Let me know if you have any questions.

Saturday downtown should be packed, because it is club crawl, which takes over Congress and has a bunch of live music. --LinkRemoved--

AZisHOTgetmeout

New

Post by AZisHOTgetmeout » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:55 pm

so where are most of you planning on living down there for school? renting? buying? suggestions?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ClemsonGrad

New

Post by ClemsonGrad » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:04 pm

AZisHOTgetmeout wrote:so where are most of you planning on living down there for school? renting? buying? suggestions?
I'll be buying a house (and looking for 1-2 roommates most likely).

ClemsonGrad

New

Post by ClemsonGrad » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:12 am

Well, I will see you guys on Saturday. Hit me up on here if you want to do something Friday night.

azlawlady

New

Post by azlawlady » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:33 am

ClemsonGrad wrote:
AZisHOTgetmeout wrote:so where are most of you planning on living down there for school? renting? buying? suggestions?
Man, this is definitely the time to do it! Have you started looking yet? If you'll have a car, you may want to think about areas outside of Tucson (but close enough to have a fairly short commute) like Sahuarita.

AZisHOTgetmeout

New

Post by AZisHOTgetmeout » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:47 am

azlawlady wrote:
ClemsonGrad wrote:
Man, this is definitely the time to do it! Have you started looking yet? If you'll have a car, you may want to think about areas outside of Tucson (but close enough to have a fairly short commute) like Sahuarita.
I am dealing with a great realtor down there if anyone needs one. PM me and I'll give you his info. The market is pretty decent, though not as depressed as areas around maricopa county in phx. I'm looking at getting a townhouse near enough to school to be convenient. I really don't want to have to drive 30 minutes to and from campus all the time.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ClemsonGrad

New

Post by ClemsonGrad » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:20 pm

azlawlady wrote:
ClemsonGrad wrote:
I have done some looking online and have found some really good deals. My parents do real estate for a living so they will be flying out to find something to buy or build on. I will definitely check out Sahuarita. Any more info. you can give would be greatly appreciated!

AZisHOTgetmeout

New

Post by AZisHOTgetmeout » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:19 pm

ClemsonGrad wrote:
azlawlady wrote:
ClemsonGrad wrote:
I have done some looking online and have found some really good deals. My parents do real estate for a living so they will be flying out to find something to buy or build on. I will definitely check out Sahuarita. Any more info. you can give would be greatly appreciated!
I don't know why you'd want to live in Sahuarita while going to law school. It certainly wouldn't be convenient, for a number of reasons. It's far away, it's in south Tucson (not the best area re: crime statistics) most of your classmates will be nowhere near there, the Tucson social scene is nowhere near there, etc. I would look north and east of campus.

azlawlady

New

Post by azlawlady » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:40 pm

AZisHOTgetmeout wrote: I don't know why you'd want to live in Sahuarita while going to law school. It certainly wouldn't be convenient, for a number of reasons. It's far away, it's in south Tucson (not the best area re: crime statistics) most of your classmates will be nowhere near there, the Tucson social scene is nowhere near there, etc. I would look north and east of campus.
I agree, Sahuarita is not the most convenient if you want to be right near campus (or near the majority of the "social scene") all the time, but it is not anymore inconvenient than your suggestion of looking north or east of campus. Also, Sahuarita is it's own area/"city" and is NOT considered "South Tucson" in the sense that AZisHOT is referring to (i.e. crime, etc.), so please disregard that.

Anyway, Clemson, sounds like you (and your parents) are definitely going into the house hunting with lots of knowledge and experience, and I think you'll find some great deals no matter where you decide to buy.

ClemsonGrad

New

Post by ClemsonGrad » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:56 pm

azlawlady wrote:
AZisHOTgetmeout wrote: I don't know why you'd want to live in Sahuarita while going to law school. It certainly wouldn't be convenient, for a number of reasons. It's far away, it's in south Tucson (not the best area re: crime statistics) most of your classmates will be nowhere near there, the Tucson social scene is nowhere near there, etc. I would look north and east of campus.
I agree, Sahuarita is not the most convenient if you want to be right near campus (or near the majority of the "social scene") all the time, but it is not anymore inconvenient than your suggestion of looking north or east of campus. Also, Sahuarita is it's own area/"city" and is NOT considered "South Tucson" in the sense that AZisHOT is referring to (i.e. crime, etc.), so please disregard that.

Anyway, Clemson, sounds like you (and your parents) are definitely going into the house hunting with lots of knowledge and experience, and I think you'll find some great deals no matter where you decide to buy.
Haha I wouldn't say I have the knowledge, but they are geniuses when it comes to this stuff. I am probably just going to sit back and watch them do the picking.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bbvk05

New

Post by bbvk05 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:18 pm

Just got my acceptance in the mail. I had applied an hour before the February 15 deadline :-0.

I am a native of Phoenix and an undergrad from UA. If anybody from out of town has anything to ask a local fire away and I will see you guys saturday.

zonawildcat

New

Post by zonawildcat » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:37 am

Best site to use is http://www.tarmls.com, for looking for homes in Tucson. It depends on your price range, but you can find houses north and east of Tucson, for very good prices right now. I personally have family in Sahaurita, and while it is nice, I wouldn't live there and commute to class every day. Just getting from the law school to the highway could take you a long time during rush hour. Not to mention you cant get onto the freeway from speedway(still under construction), so you will have to take the frontage for some time before getting on. You are looking at a long drive. I would definitely stay in Tucson, as you can find good deals and there is much more to do. Just be aware that rush hour traffic sucks in Tucson and it adds a lot of time to your commute.

ClemsonGrad

New

Post by ClemsonGrad » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:18 am

The weekend was great. I can't wait to be here in August.

zonawildcat

New

Post by zonawildcat » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:34 pm

Glad you liked Tucson. A lot of people don't like it at first, but it kind of grows on you. I was really excited about the school. Being from UA, I wasn't really looking forward to going, but I am really glad I went. I think the mock class was really fun and he was a really nice guy. Also, all the administration was very friendly. The students sitting at our lunch table were also really informative, and seemed like "real" students, unlike some of the schools I visited. They were not afraid to be realistic with you.

What did you end up doing while you were here?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”