Vanderbilt 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
rezipsa

Bronze

Re: Vanderbilt Class of 2012

Post by rezipsa » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:21 pm

p.s. Photos from the Legal Aid Auction...

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 0#p1455919

c/o the Legal Aid Society

drylo

Bronze

Re: Vanderbilt 2012

Post by drylo » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:30 pm

I'm Class of 2012. There have to be a few more.

jdn012

Bronze

Post by jdn012 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:33 pm

drylo wrote:I'm Class of 2012. There have to be a few more.
I have to ask, can you explain how you decided on Vanderbilt over all of your other amazing acceptances? Just really curious...not questioning it.

jayhawkai

New

Post by jayhawkai » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:50 pm

I'll be at the ASD this week and there's a very very good chance I'll end up at Vandy.

kbigs

New

Post by kbigs » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:54 pm

Waitlisted, but visiting sometime soon to get a feel for the school. Congrats to all you already accepted!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

INDjones1985

New

Post by INDjones1985 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:41 pm

I sent in my seat deposit last week and I'm already sick with anticipation. Anybody else?

DSTned4Law

New

Post by DSTned4Law » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:32 am

INDjones1985 wrote:I sent in my seat deposit last week and I'm already sick with anticipation. Anybody else?

lol. I'm saving up the money for the seat deposit [via family donations, lol], still waiting on finaid info, and heading to ASD.....I'm SO in love with Vandy, though.

ben1185

New

Post by ben1185 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:28 pm

jayhawkai wrote:I'll be at the ASD this week and there's a very very good chance I'll end up at Vandy.
Question Deleted... It was a dumb one.

tudo ben

New

Post by tudo ben » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:50 pm

Really good chance I'm going to deposit. Have 3 days to make a decision. I'm surprised this thread is so bare, Vandy seems pretty badass.

I visited and honestly what I liked most was how legit the academic environment seemed. Compared with BC and Emory (and to a small extent BU), Vandy seemed like a more "legit" place to study. Like the students seemed to be very serious academics.

What I liked about Nashville: kickass music, barbeque, cheap PBR at every bar, couldn't find any of those trendy dance club $15 drink wait in line an hour to get in places if I tried.

What I didn't love: Nashville's small. Makes Boston look like a behemoth. Definitely would need a car. And Vandy (from my amateur perspective) didn't seem to be in the most going on part of town. West End Ave wasn't gorgeous. And there's no MLB team.

All and all though, I really dug it and I'm excited to have it top my list.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jojo

New

Post by Jojo » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:33 am

I'm surprised this thread is so bare, Vandy seems pretty badass.
I think many Vandy kids are on LSN instead of here. I know that only about 5 or 6 of this year's 1Ls were ever on TLS in a substantial enough way to post in a class thread. So don't get discouraged, there are more of you out there.

drylo

Bronze

Post by drylo » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:21 am

tudo ben wrote:What I didn't love: Nashville's small. Makes Boston look like a behemoth. Definitely would need a car. And Vandy (from my amateur perspective) didn't seem to be in the most going on part of town. West End Ave wasn't gorgeous. And there's no MLB team.
Some of that is true, but I would say that you probably don't need a car if you live near the law school. It's a lot easier to have a car in Nashville than Boston, for instance, but you could probably do without one. More importantly, though, I think you might have misjudged Vandy's location within Nashville a little bit. You would need to drive/cab/etc. to get to 2nd Ave/Broadway, but Hillsboro Village is kind of a cool place and Demonbreun has a number of pretty hip bars about a five minute (or so) walk from the law school. Also, Centennial Park is a short walk across campus, and West End (whether you find it gorgeous or not) does have more than enough restaurant selection.
Last edited by drylo on Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

rezipsa

Bronze

Post by rezipsa » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:22 am

Jojo wrote:
I think many Vandy kids are on LSN instead of here. I know that only about 5 or 6 of this year's 1Ls were ever on TLS in a substantial enough way to post in a class thread. So don't get discouraged, there are more of you out there.
You're up awfully late...Bruce exam?

observationalist

Bronze

Post by observationalist » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:38 pm

drylo wrote:
tudo ben wrote:What I didn't love: Nashville's small. Makes Boston look like a behemoth. Definitely would need a car. And Vandy (from my amateur perspective) didn't seem to be in the most going on part of town. West End Ave wasn't gorgeous. And there's no MLB team.
Some of that is true, but I would say that you probably don't need a car if you live near the law school. It's a lot easier to have a car in Nashville than Boston, for instance, but you could probably do without one. More importantly, though, I think you might have misjudged Vandy's location within Nashville a little bit. You would need to drive/cab/etc. to get to 2nd Ave/Broadway, but Hillsboro Village is kind of a cool place and Demonbreun has a number of pretty hip bars about a five minute (or so) walk from the law school. Also, Centennial Park is a short walk across campus, and West End (whether you find it gorgeous or not) does have more than enough restaurant selection.
I only use my car when picking up friends from the airport and showing them around town. I take the No. 7 down hillsboro to school or to my internship downtown for free every day, and I can walk to two grocery stores (Teeter and Osbornes) or take the No. 7 the other way down to Whole Foods and Trader Joes in Green Hills. I didn't buy the $250 parking pass this year (you need Zone 2 for the law school), and I've probably saved myself another couple of hundred in gas... if you live on West End, Belmont, or Hillsboro going down as far as the mall you have bus routes going by your house and dropping you off right by school. I was in DC this past ASW but the Environmental Law Society table should've had route maps available for people looking at housing Saturday. I really encourage people to look at the routes when finding housing... 3 and 7 are more frequent than 2, with 7 dropping you off right in front of the law school.

But I can understand the comments about needing a car when comparing Nashville to Boston. I've gotten used to not having the T if I'm going more than a few miles walking/biking distance away, but it took awhile. The good thing is that the buses actually work, are clean/AC, and the drivers are friendly (contrary to the common belief of what I like to call the native Nashville driving culture, which is probably responsible for why public transportation has taken so long to get good here.)

Drylo, did you happen to go to Rosario's when you were at the first ASW? We were talking with a prospective deciding to get their degree in Nashville or Cambridge... if that's you, then glad to have you on board for next year. And if that's someone else, glad to see there are multiple people considering us over HLS this cycle. We're certainly better at karaoke :wink:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Jojo

New

Post by Jojo » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:46 pm

rezipsa wrote:
Jojo wrote:
You're up awfully late...Bruce exam?
Surprisingly, no. I was watching movies and playing Taboo with friends :P
probably should have been studying though..

drylo

Bronze

Post by drylo » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:25 pm

observationalist wrote:Drylo, did you happen to go to Rosario's when you were at the first ASW? We were talking with a prospective deciding to get their degree in Nashville or Cambridge... if that's you, then glad to have you on board for next year. And if that's someone else, glad to see there are multiple people considering us over HLS this cycle. We're certainly better at karaoke :wink:
That would be me. But I also know of at least one other person choosing Vandy over HLS.
Last edited by drylo on Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

observationalist

Bronze

Post by observationalist » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:01 pm

drylo wrote:
observationalist wrote:Drylo, did you happen to go to Rosario's when you were at the first ASW? We were talking with a prospective deciding to get their degree in Nashville or Cambridge... if that's you, then glad to have you on board for next year. And if that's someone else, glad to see there are multiple people considering us over HLS this cycle. We're certainly better at karaoke :wink:
That would be me.
Cool. Welcome aboard! Glad you went with your gut... school will not disappoint.

observationalist

Bronze

Post by observationalist » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:06 pm

Posted this on another thread, but Rez could you add this to your arsenal of links for the trigger-happy out there? Class of 2008 Offers at Graduation: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?3wzi2ygntyr

It's missing all the bells and whistles the Class of '07 has, but at it accounts for what 97% of the class started out doing after they graduated last year.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tudo ben

New

Post by tudo ben » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:44 am

I'm in. All I wanna know is, who's coming with me?

jayhawkai

New

Post by jayhawkai » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:15 am

add me to the list!

rezipsa

Bronze

Post by rezipsa » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:13 pm

fyi
Hey everybody,

Legal Aid Executive Director Georgia Sims and I are proud to announce the creation of the new VULS Pro Bono Pledge. The program will begin next fall and will be available for all incoming and current students. We have worked together this semester to craft this special new program with inspiration from other law schools’ pledge programs and with a sincere hope that a program at VULS might entice more folks to get involved with the work that is absolutely essential to our profession: public interest and community service. We are excited to present this new opportunity and we hope it will go a long way towards making public interest work more prominent here at VULS.

The rules are simple:

Any incoming 1L can pledge to perform 75 total hours of service during their career at VULS
At least 25 hours must come from law-related activity for which you do NOT receive credit or financial compensation
Up to 25 hours can come from law-related activity for which you also receive academic or extracurricular credit
Up to 25 hours can come from community service activities that are not necessarily law related
Transfers and LLMs can also participate by pledging fewer hours
During the transition period, the Class of 2010 may pledge 25 service hours to satisfy the requirements and the Class of 2011 may pledge 50 service hours.

The Pledge program will be administered by the Legal Aid Society and specifically the new Pro Bono Pledge Director, Renée Erickson. If you would like to get involved, please contact Renée at renee.l.erickson@vanderbilt.edu.

Students who serve the public interest deserve recognition before all of their peers. Therefore, students who fulfill or exceed their pledge will receive school-wide recognition and in the future may even receive a special notation on their transcripts.

This Pledge is the ‘crown jewel’ of a joint VBA and Legal Aid Society initiative this semester: The Public Interest Project. Members of both organizations, along with some interested colleagues, came together to identify and address various public interest issues facing VULS. Five focus groups addressed the following issues:

1. Admissions and Orientation: Tyler Hagenbuch led a group of students to work with Admissions to think of new ways to attract students interested in public interest work and to integrate new students into a culture of service during orientation.

2. The Pro Bono Pledge: A group of students researched similar programs at law schools around the country and drafted the new VULS Pro Bono Pledge described above.

3. Institutional Coordination: Georgia and I worked with leaders from VBA, Legal Aid, and Law Students for Social Justice to identify ways that the three groups could work better together. This effort resulted in an amendment to the VBA Constitution calling for greater coordinating influence from the Community Service Chair and revised LAS by-laws that eliminated the organizations Community Service Director while creating the new Pro Bono Program Director.

4. The Loan Repayment Assistance Program: James Bowden led extensive research to construct a comparative report of other schools’ programs and a Student Loan Repayment Calculator.

5. Cal Turner and Project Pyramid: Rebecca Stubbs coordinated efforts to identify opportunities for greater connections with these two excellent programs.

Thank you for taking the time to learn more about the Pro Bono Pledge and the work of the Public Interest Project. Best of luck on exams and in your various endeavors this summer!

Georgia L. Sims

Executive Director, Legal Aid Society

Charles M. Gearing

President, Vanderbilt Bar Association

observationalist

Bronze

Post by observationalist » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:31 pm

rezipsa wrote:fyi
3. Institutional Coordination: Georgia and I worked with leaders from VBA, Legal Aid, and Law Students for Social Justice to identify ways that the three groups could work better together.
Look who got a shout-out :wink:

Among other great things that were begun this year, LSSJ will be expanding the Pub Crawl for Social Justice next fall... I hope some incoming 1Ls will be getting involved in the group [Not to downplay the fine work VBA and Legal Aid Society have done on getting this together or anything.]
4. The Loan Repayment Assistance Program: James Bowden led extensive research to construct a comparative report of other schools’ programs and a Student Loan Repayment Calculator.
I'm surprised they didn't credit doyleoil for his unknowing work in breaking down the other programs we're trying to match here http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 15&t=62094 . Doyle, if you're reading this... thanks. TLS is now becoming a resource for current students to improve our schools. LRAP is going to be the next step in revamping the school's commitment to students wishing to pursue PI careers... as our esteemed outgoing VBA Pres pointed out, there's a lot more to be done before we can really start touting all this. But the Pledge is a great start... I'm pumped.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rezipsa

Bronze

Post by rezipsa » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:45 pm

Four things I want to see out of any lurking VBA officers:

(1) More Vandy Law gear in the student store. Maybe a zip-up hoodie with a crest or something. And more authoritative looking car stickers. Hoodies with a larger logo. The current VANDERBILT LAW thing w/ the thin font? Not my style. I'd prefer something more robusto, perhaps w/ outlining. Maybe a cap too---like one of those brown/tan Silicon-Valley-CEO style ones, with a soft, worn, brim? Multiple color tees. Black = cool, but not good for the summer.

(2) A Law Revue, like the comedy troupes at GW, UVA, NYU, and BU (the latest, so great: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbThUukchws). After last Friday's BLSA talent show, I know we're more than capable. I even know of some 1L's who have written parody rap songs attuned to our school. You know who you are.

(3) Some softball teams to field for the UVA Invitational. It should be 2 and 3L's only, so there's an air of selectivity, and something for the 1L's to aspire to. And we should be sponsored by a V10 or (at max V20) firm. A firm like Sidley Austin. Perhaps observationalist could bring this up at tomorrow's Sidley-sponsored Blackacre. And also the Nashville Public Defender's office, because that name sounds badassmofo.

(4) A SCOTUS judge presiding over our moot court competition finals. We had O'Scannalain though this year, which was pretty awesome (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RumvwaidN_Y), but SCOTUS or at least Posner or Easterbrook or Calabresi or Kozinski would be cool.

Fin. 8)

rezipsa

Bronze

Post by rezipsa » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:00 pm

DSTned4Law

New

Post by DSTned4Law » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:05 pm

ahhhhh! I love it. lol.

observationalist

Bronze

Post by observationalist » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:23 pm

rezipsa wrote:Vanderbilt Law's talent show:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byLWKEL3VgI

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD9QzxmMdGQ
Hmm, something's missing from that intro Headnotes performance...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”