Vanderbilt 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
observationalist

Bronze

Re: Vanderbilt 2012

Post by observationalist » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:19 pm

Jojo wrote:1) Rezipsa, how do you know this? Is there a list somewhere? I was wondering who is with us.

2) Looking forward to it. Should be a chance to learn a lot even if you do work us hard, Observationalist.

Also, do we need to be around before school for this? I need to know when to come back from Cali. And obviously I am too lazy to email you.
As of now I will be somewhere between Dubai and NY when classes are actually starting... aiming to get back to Nashville in time for my first class on Wednesday morning. So, now, as far as I know there's no work before the first class. But after that, nose to the grind all the way.

rezipsa

Bronze

Post by rezipsa » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:13 pm

--LinkRemoved--

Vanderbilt graduates to serve as judicial clerks

Thirty-three Vanderbilt Law graduates secured judicial clerkships this year with judges on the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, Eighth, Tenth and D.C. Circuits; with U.S. District Court judges in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Mississippi, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia; with state Supreme Court Justices in Idaho and Tennessee; and with a number of other federal and state courts.

Overall, Vanderbilt Law graduates secured clerkships in 17 different states and the District of Columbia. Twenty-three clerks are 2009 graduates and 10 are alumni.

“Once again, Vanderbilt has had an extremely successful year placing clerks throughout the country,” said Michael Bressman, Assistant Professor of the Practice of Law, who directs Vanderbilt’s clerkship program. “Each year an impressive number of judges throughout the federal and state judicial systems are looking to Vanderbilt to hire their law clerks.”

“The judicial clerkship market is incredibly competitive,” Dean Chris Guthrie said. “This performance is a testament to the talents of our student body and the tireless efforts of Professor Bressman.”

vapula

New

Post by vapula » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:15 pm

rezipsa wrote:http://vulsinbrief.com/2009/07/13/2009-10-clerks

Vanderbilt graduates to serve as judicial clerks

Thirty-three Vanderbilt Law graduates secured judicial clerkships this year with judges on the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, Eighth, Tenth and D.C. Circuits; with U.S. District Court judges in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Mississippi, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia; with state Supreme Court Justices in Idaho and Tennessee; and with a number of other federal and state courts.

Overall, Vanderbilt Law graduates secured clerkships in 17 different states and the District of Columbia. Twenty-three clerks are 2009 graduates and 10 are alumni.

“Once again, Vanderbilt has had an extremely successful year placing clerks throughout the country,” said Michael Bressman, Assistant Professor of the Practice of Law, who directs Vanderbilt’s clerkship program. “Each year an impressive number of judges throughout the federal and state judicial systems are looking to Vanderbilt to hire their law clerks.”

“The judicial clerkship market is incredibly competitive,” Dean Chris Guthrie said. “This performance is a testament to the talents of our student body and the tireless efforts of Professor Bressman.”
That's roughly 10% of the graduating class? I am interested in the whole employment data of class 2009...

vhalcyon

New

Post by vhalcyon » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:51 pm

rez, why am i not surprised in any way that you saved that gchat status?

and whats with the hate towards st. louis as a city? its awesome. and my home.

wustl just pales in comparison to vandy. our social lives are better. our people are friendlier. and we have people like rez, observationalist, jojo, etc. what more could you want?

steindle

Bronze

Post by steindle » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:59 pm

All right folks, the fiance is on board and we're going full-speed ahead to Nashville this August!

Now I just need to...find a place to live. In two weeks. Not impossible by any stretch, but maybe a little hard to do in an economically prudent fashion.

If anyone has any leads for housing in/around the Hillsboro Village/12South area, I'm all ears. We are looking for a 2-bedroom (one bedroom will be a "study") or even large 1-bedroom (1,000+ sq ft) for less than $1,200. This seems like a pretty tall order in that area, but not impossible. We only have one car between us and I would prefer using it as little as possible.

Thanks, folks. Very excited for this coming year!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

observationalist

Bronze

Post by observationalist » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:50 pm

I think these are new: http://www.housesforrent.ws/details.asp ... 517707&s=r

It's about 6 blocks walk to the funky part of 12th south (great wine shop with free tastings every saturday, mafioza's restaurant, hip new cycle shop, one of the city's indie art galleries, improv theater). You'll pay more as you get closer to the street, and same goes for Hillsboro Village, but remember Nashville's small and you're no further than 2 miles from the law school so long as you stay within the I-610 loop. Actually, that apt is closer to 8th ave. s., which has Grimey's Records/The Basement (easily one of my favorite music venues, and not just because one of the co-owners grew up two towns over from me up in Mass). the neighborhood right by Belmont U is also pretty chill... houses on Belmont Ave are very nice. I would just look up apts and then streetview them on Google.

If you can find something between Belmont and 12 South that's north of, say, Kirkwood, you're looking at a 10 minute walk or less in either direction to both neighborhoods. It puts Hillsboro out at maybe a 15 minute walk and probably gives you a half-hr walk to the law school. I think you can definitely stay under budget... we pay 2,000 for a 3BR/2Bath house with a huge fenced in backyard in between Hillsboro and Belmont. I very much enjoy my Saturday afternoon strolls to the wine tastings and walking up the hill whenever my nights end up at the Villager in Hillsboro.

[edit: sorry, didn't see that one's unavailable.]

Jojo

New

Post by Jojo » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:30 pm

these are up on craigslist now:

--LinkRemoved-- - in your price range. A little far away - near the grove, maybe a 45 minute walk. but very much in a neighborhood.

--LinkRemoved-- - not sure what the square footage is, but this is a great deal for the area - i know another law student in this complex paying 900. It is a little far to walk to school (about the same as the above apartment) but close to a grocery store and on the route 7 bus - very convenient.

--LinkRemoved-- - the neighborhood isn't very pretty but it seems like an ok deal. i live 4 blocks closer to school from here and find it safe, but some other people might have more of an opinion, because it is closer to downtown than I am.

--LinkRemoved-- - you would definitely need to drive to school (prob a 10 minute drive with traffic, 5 without) but it is cheap, and pretty. And near the Belmont and green hills areas where there are restaurants and stores. Says it might be available around the 15th or so.

--LinkRemoved-- - same deal as the previous - available earlier.

unfortunately most of these are further away that you would prob like, but considering the late timing, they aren't bad. Also - some of the ads on craigslist are for management companies - you may want to try that, as there are many places in the area that go through these agencies and are not listed online.

steindle

Bronze

Post by steindle » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:59 pm

Thanks for the help, folks! Everyone at Vanderbilt has been incredibly helpful and accommodating thus far...getting a very good feeling from this choice :).

Timmybb13

New

Post by Timmybb13 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:00 pm

steindle wrote:All right folks, the fiance is on board and we're going full-speed ahead to Nashville this August!

Now I just need to...find a place to live. In two weeks. Not impossible by any stretch, but maybe a little hard to do in an economically prudent fashion.

If anyone has any leads for housing in/around the Hillsboro Village/12South area, I'm all ears. We are looking for a 2-bedroom (one bedroom will be a "study") or even large 1-bedroom (1,000+ sq ft) for less than $1,200. This seems like a pretty tall order in that area, but not impossible. We only have one car between us and I would prefer using it as little as possible.

Thanks, folks. Very excited for this coming year!

Congratulations! See you this fall.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vapula

New

Post by vapula » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:08 pm

Any one's experience on setting up your apts/houses,i.e. furnitures, tv, internet, and any paperwork before school starts? I will be there pretty late...So I am trying to do some research before I get down there since I won't have much time hanging around before 8.17.

I am also thinking of taking the short GOLF class or a dancing class next semester...Please tell me whether that's practical, haha.

rezipsa

Bronze

Post by rezipsa » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:17 pm

vapula wrote:Any one's experience on setting up your apts/houses,i.e. furnitures, tv, internet, and any paperwork before school starts? I will be there pretty late...So I am trying to do some research before I get down there since I won't have much time hanging around before 8.17.

I am also thinking of taking the short GOLF class or a dancing class next semester...Please tell me whether that's practical, haha.
http://www.asfurniture.com has really good deals. I hear Cort occassionally has really good furniture deals when clearing out old stuff from its rental collection. Check out JCPenney too.

Don't forget to get a VU parking pass.

A lot of kids in my class golf. I know kevinl (similar name on LSD) took dance lessons one of the semesters; you should PM him.

vapula

New

Post by vapula » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:38 pm

rezipsa wrote:
vapula wrote:Any one's experience on setting up your apts/houses,i.e. furnitures, tv, internet, and any paperwork before school starts? I will be there pretty late...So I am trying to do some research before I get down there since I won't have much time hanging around before 8.17.

http://www.asfurniture.com has really good deals. I hear Cort occassionally has really good furniture deals when clearing out old stuff from its rental collection. Check out JCPenney too.

Don't forget to get a VU parking pass.

A lot of kids in my class golf. I know kevinl (similar name on LSD) took dance lessons one of the semesters; you should PM him.
Thank you! That's really helpful. I won't have a car in my first semester, so a parking pass may not be necessary. Cannot wait to be in town!

Jojo

New

Post by Jojo » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:15 pm

I know kevinl (similar name on LSD) took dance lessons one of the semesters; you should PM him.
wtf? Kevinl is on here? Why did I not know this? We should tempt him back by telling him that we are talking about him :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Philly8008

New

Post by Philly8008 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:46 pm

This may be a stupid question. But how does the Living Expenses part of Tuition work at Vanderbilt? By that I mean, Books, Housing, etc. The value that's built into Cost of Education...

Looking forward to meeting everyone soon!

hov!

New

Post by hov! » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:27 am

Last year the tv / internet was about a week - week and a half wait to set up. If you already have your address I'd recommend calling ahead of time to schedule so the hook up will occur as soon as you get there.

I don't know what you are moving or not, but I had to wait 4 days for my mattress to be delivered which sucked, so I'd recommend taking care of that also.

Other than that, if you haven't got your student ID yet, just remember to do that.

Rusty McGuns

New

Post by Rusty McGuns » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:33 am

Earlier this week, my old college buddies gave me a call and told me that our fantasy football league was being set up for the year. (We always haggle over the scoring system beforehand.) Yesterday, while perusing the news, I stumbled across an article detailing a law suit between Yahoo and the NFL Players Association disputing who owns the rights to real-time player information during games.

To me, it was a sign: it's time to think about setting up a league for Vandy 2012. Work hard, play hard -- it's more than just studying and drinking, right?

So, to the upperclassmen, I ask you: who normally takes the lead in setting up such a league? Because I'm more than willing to be that guy.

steindle

Bronze

Post by steindle » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:03 am

A question: How far do you think is too far to live from the law school? Many people seem to say that it's key to live within a short distance of the school -- i.e. walking distance or at least about 2 miles, for easy access.

Do current students agree?

I ask because I am finding some drastically lower rental prices in what appear to be decent parts of East Nashville (i.e. the Five Points area)...This is appealing to me on many levels (the neighborhood seems interesting, I kind of like the idea of decompressing fairly far from the school, etc), but it's 5 miles from the school. That's "far" in some senses, but I can easily bike five miles in 20 minutes or less, which seems like less time than some students commuting via car from the suburbs would be taking anyway. And if worse comes to worse, the bus commute looks like it would be about 30-35 min.

Would it be crazy to entertain this option at a savings of $300/mo?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chipmunk

New

Post by chipmunk » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:25 pm

steindle wrote:A question: How far do you think is too far to live from the law school? Many people seem to say that it's key to live within a short distance of the school -- i.e. walking distance or at least about 2 miles, for easy access.

Do current students agree?

I ask because I am finding some drastically lower rental prices in what appear to be decent parts of East Nashville (i.e. the Five Points area)...This is appealing to me on many levels (the neighborhood seems interesting, I kind of like the idea of decompressing fairly far from the school, etc), but it's 5 miles from the school. That's "far" in some senses, but I can easily bike five miles in 20 minutes or less, which seems like less time than some students commuting via car from the suburbs would be taking anyway. And if worse comes to worse, the bus commute looks like it would be about 30-35 min.

Would it be crazy to entertain this option at a savings of $300/mo?
NOT crazy.I live about 6 miles west of the law school in a nice little neighboorhood with big trees and sidewalks. I pay 990/month for more than 1500 sq. feet (2 br. 1 office 2.5 baths). Albeit, I'm married and wanted something more 'homey,' but my husband and I could not be happier. I can take the bus to class if I want to (it's free and takes about 15 minutes at 8:00am), and I stay in the library 'till quitting time and leave my books at school most days. I have very good grades and don't feel far from the action. $300/mo. is a LOT of money over 3 years. Entertain it. ( =

steindle

Bronze

Post by steindle » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:32 pm

chipmunk wrote:NOT crazy.I live about 6 miles west of the law school in a nice little neighboorhood with big trees and sidewalks. I pay 990/month for more than 1500 sq. feet (2 br. 1 office 2.5 baths). Albeit, I'm married and wanted something more 'homey,' but my husband and I could not be happier. I can take the bus to class if I want to (it's free and takes about 15 minutes at 8:00am), and I stay in the library 'till quitting time and leave my books at school most days. I have very good grades and don't feel far from the action. $300/mo. is a LOT of money over 3 years. Entertain it. ( =
Thanks very much, chipmunk. This is encouraging.

My fiance and I are a bit spoiled in terms of being able to walk anywhere we want to go where we live now...I'm told that East Nashville has some "hip" little areas that are arguably walkable as well, but this will be a substantial change for us. I am thinking that the (literal) payoff of saving $300-400/mo will be worth it though.

vapula

New

Post by vapula » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:58 pm

steindle wrote:
chipmunk wrote:NOT crazy.I live about 6 miles west of the law school in a nice little neighboorhood with big trees and sidewalks. I pay 990/month for more than 1500 sq. feet (2 br. 1 office 2.5 baths). Albeit, I'm married and wanted something more 'homey,' but my husband and I could not be happier. I can take the bus to class if I want to (it's free and takes about 15 minutes at 8:00am), and I stay in the library 'till quitting time and leave my books at school most days. I have very good grades and don't feel far from the action. $300/mo. is a LOT of money over 3 years. Entertain it. ( =
Thanks very much, chipmunk. This is encouraging.

My fiance and I are a bit spoiled in terms of being able to walk anywhere we want to go where we live now...I'm told that East Nashville has some "hip" little areas that are arguably walkable as well, but this will be a substantial change for us. I am thinking that the (literal) payoff of saving $300-400/mo will be worth it though.
I am thinking of moving further away from law school after my first year to save some rent money every month, at that time I will be able to know what works best for me, and know the city quite well. That's just me though.

Jojo

New

Post by Jojo » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:09 pm

It really depends what you want out of school. For instance, I am single and my social life revolves around school, so I moved from 2 miles out last year to right across the street from school. I am paying 200 more a month to do that. (Granted, before I had roomies and now I have my own place, so the 200 isn’t only for location – plus I am saving money on a car pass).
However, if your social life revolves mainly around staying in with a significant other, or hanging out with native Nashvillians in some of the outer neighborhoods, then it makes perfect sense to live farther out and save money.
It is just a huge pain in the butt to drive 15 minutes to the law school to meet up with people to cab downtown to drink to cab back to the law school to sleep in your car until you are sober. I know some people who do that, but I personally would hate it. So because I am so tied to the law school in every aspect of my life, I decided to live close. I may regret it when I am paying off loans but it is only about 4000k difference in the long run.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

vapula

New

Post by vapula » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:12 pm

Jojo wrote:It really depends what you want out of school. For instance, I am single and my social life revolves around school, so I moved from 2 miles out last year to right across the street from school. I am paying 200 more a month to do that. (Granted, before I had roomies and now I have my own place, so the 200 isn’t only for location – plus I am saving money on a car pass).
However, if your social life revolves mainly around staying in with a significant other, or hanging out with native Nashvillians in some of the outer neighborhoods, then it makes perfect sense to live farther out and save money.
It is just a huge pain in the butt to drive 15 minutes to the law school to meet up with people to cab downtown to drink to cab back to the law school to sleep in your car until you are sober. I know some people who do that, but I personally would hate it. So because I am so tied to the law school in every aspect of my life, I decided to live close. I may regret it when I am paying off loans but it is only about 4000k difference in the long run.
I guess I am in the somewhat same situation as you are since I probably will have to do long distance with my bf. That's also why I am living really close to law school this year: I guess I will spend most of my time in law school and library, and hang out with most of my classmates.

steindle

Bronze

Post by steindle » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:20 pm

My fiance and I certainly enjoy staying in periodically, but in generally we like to stay very socially active and would ultimately like to live in the middle of the action...That's why the Hillsboro Village area is so appealing to me -- and even if we moved far away, we would want to live in an equally active area (which seems rare in Nashville but Five Points seems to fit the bill).

Thankfully I think I just found a pretty stunning deal about a mile from the law school literally 10 minutes ago. After a week of intense searching I sort of feel like I'm walking on air right now...I knew that persistence would pay off.

So excited to meet everyone this August!

vapula

New

Post by vapula » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:55 pm

I just bought my life of the law textbook online today...cannot wait to get there and meet everyone.

mike8153

New

Post by mike8153 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:19 am

Rusty McGuns wrote:Earlier this week, my old college buddies gave me a call and told me that our fantasy football league was being set up for the year. (We always haggle over the scoring system beforehand.) Yesterday, while perusing the news, I stumbled across an article detailing a law suit between Yahoo and the NFL Players Association disputing who owns the rights to real-time player information during games.

To me, it was a sign: it's time to think about setting up a league for Vandy 2012. Work hard, play hard -- it's more than just studying and drinking, right?

So, to the upperclassmen, I ask you: who normally takes the lead in setting up such a league? Because I'm more than willing to be that guy.
I'm definitely down to join a league if you wanted to start one. I haven't been a part of one for a couple years and I've missed it. I'm sure there will be enough people interested.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”