Baylor 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
chadwick218

Silver

Re: Baylor 2012

Post by chadwick218 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:36 pm

southernroots wrote:Chadwick, I'll be in Waco this Friday also, care to meet up for a drink?

Where is the facebook group? I've been accepted since December and haven't heard anything about it...guess I'm that guy.
Southernroots, I would love to, but I will be unable to attend tomorrow due a client related issue that has just come up (these always seem to happen only when I have something planned that I am really looking forward to attending). I cannot tell you how much I am looking forward to classes in the fall!

Also, I will not be able to join the facebook page until August as I pretty much I have to keep my employer completely out of the loop. I need these last couple months salary before I go completely broke for 3 years. As such, ya'll will have to keep me in the loop.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:54 pm

Did anyone attend the Baylor Open House today? How did the day go? Thoughts?

smiley87

New

Post by smiley87 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:01 am

is it bad that i'm slightly concerned that everyone in this forum seems to have gotten the Baylor full ride? while i'm not that big of a slacker, i can't imagine holding onto my books all day every day for the next three yeras

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:16 am

Smiley87, if you check out LSN, most of the folks in this forum receiving a full-ride are truly the minority. Furthermore, LSN provides that less than 10% of enrolled students actually receive full-scholarships. I do not believe that this forum is representative of the typical law student.

smiley87

New

Post by smiley87 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:22 am

i am VERY concerned about baylor falling 10 ranks. i'm contemplating taking a year off since i already withdrew from other offers... this stinks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:44 am

smiley87 wrote:i am VERY concerned about baylor falling 10 ranks. i'm contemplating taking a year off since i already withdrew from other offers... this stinks!
I agree ... I expected a very slight fall, but not 10 ranks. I just sent an email withdrawing from Iowa immediately before the rankings were released leaving Baylor as the only school that I accepted me from which I have not withdrawn. Ihad previously signed up for the June LSAT so I will study b/w now and then and hope for a higher score and quite possibly re-applying next year ...

smiley87

New

Post by smiley87 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:54 am

do you think it's worth reapplying though chadwick? after all, we are going to school for free... i mean i'm sure i could call back other schools that have accepted me and beg them to take me back (smu! call me!) or get off some waitlists (usc, ucla, wustl, nyu, harvard i'm looking at you).

is the free money worth it?! and aren't you tired of reapplying? this is my first cycle and i'm exhausted, i don't know how you can keep doing it. im thinking just go for a free year and transfer out...

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:03 am

I think that right now there is a lot of over-reaction ... there are still a lot of things about Baylor that I like.

BigA (over in the SMU thread) posted an interesting employment statistic showing that per USNWR, only 61% were employed 6-months or so after graduation ... I find this statistic shockingly low and believe if true, Baylor can turn this around rather quickly. I've got to believe that this led considerably to the fall in rankings ...

At the end of the day, chances are that I'll be attending Baylor (80%) ... I am still holding out for a couple of waitlists (Duke, NW, UCLA, and WUSTL) despite my chances being relatively slim. Even if admitted to any of these schools, I am just not certain that I can pass up Baylor coming out debt-free ...

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:10 am

As a note; those were employment numbers upon graduation, FWIW. I couldn't/didn't see the 9 month employment numbers from OperaSinger's scan.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

southernroots

New

Post by southernroots » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:33 pm

I am now thoroughly torn. Going to Baylor feels like the right decision but this drop has left some serious doubts. It is between Minnesota (who jumped a few spots to T-20) and Baylor, but I do want to practice here in Tx.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:39 pm

southernroots wrote:I am now thoroughly torn. Going to Baylor feels like the right decision but this drop has left some serious doubts. It is between Minnesota (who jumped a few spots to T-20) and Baylor, but I do want to practice here in Tx.
I think that if you are dead set on practicing in Texas, than Baylor is still your best bet despite the recent slide. As much as I like Minnesota, I believe that Baylor will place better in both Dallas and Houston. I'll searching for the stats to back this up ...

southernroots

New

Post by southernroots » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:22 am

Baylor's salary range for private practice has been released:
25- 60k
75- 125k

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:07 am

southernroots wrote:Baylor's salary range for private practice has been released:
25- 60k
75- 125k
The $125k makes me very optimistic ... the $60k not so much ... I remember seeing the median around $85k.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Tave

New

Post by Tave » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:09 pm

chadwick218 wrote:Did anyone attend the Baylor Open House today? How did the day go? Thoughts?
The school was beautiful. I guess I wasn't really surprised or otherwise stricken by anything in particular: pretty much what I expected. I appreciated the chance to talk with the professors at lunch.

It was a little too formal for my taste. I think I would have prefered to visit the school by myself and talk to the students/teachers/admin one-on-one, but I say that offhandedly--it wasn't a big deal.

austin2waco09

New

Post by austin2waco09 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:57 pm

I just stumbled across the forums and thought I'd add my 2 cents. I'm headed to Waco in the fall for sure as well. I've visited several times and know a number of people who have graduated/are currently there.

I came across this looking for roommate resources primarily because while the Grove and University Parks seem like hands down the best deal, I didn't really want to commit to having a roommate unless it was a grad/law student. If people who mentioned it are still looking or others end up committing for fall of 09, I'd be interested in discussing housing options, just send me a pm.

Tave

New

Post by Tave » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:50 pm

The Grove does seem like a steal.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:57 pm

Welcome austin2waco09 ...

I am also feeling the Groove. I'll begin a more serious housing search on June 1 or so ...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

southernroots

New

Post by southernroots » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:19 pm

chadwick218 wrote:Welcome austin2waco09 ...

I am also feeling the Groove. I'll begin a more serious housing search on June 1 or so ...
I am not sure about the Grove but I've talked to several complexes and apts seem to be going pretty quickly. You may want to talk to them a bit sooner.

On another note, I just received my shirt today and I'm gonna have to say I like it. Reminds me of a bunch of my fraternity shirts from ug but it is classy nonetheless.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:14 pm

I am still looking to try to secure a single in one of the newer dorms ... there are 2 dorms that are very close to the law school. I own a home in Dallas so I want as little to take care of in Waco as possible. Unfortunately, today was the first day that I was able to apply for housing as I could never get my Bear ID to properly work.

I also received the t-shirt ... i was kinda hoping for green, but I'll take a free ...

southernroots

New

Post by southernroots » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:29 pm

chadwick218 wrote:I am still looking to try to secure a single in one of the newer dorms ... there are 2 dorms that are very close to the law school. I own a home in Dallas so I want as little to take care of in Waco as possible. Unfortunately, today was the first day that I was able to apply for housing as I could never get my Bear ID to properly work.

I also received the t-shirt ... i was kinda hoping for green, but I'll take a free ...
I have heard the dorms are nice but have also heard Baylor has major restrictions on what you are allowed to do in the dorms (well only that you can't have alcohol). This is all hearsay so I am not sure how credible this is. If it is true, I would be quite upset with possibly getting bitched about having a beer after a long day of studying.

I was hoping for green too, but I'm glad it wasn't gold...

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Thu May 07, 2009 10:10 pm

southernroots wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:I am still looking to try to secure a single in one of the newer dorms ... there are 2 dorms that are very close to the law school. I own a home in Dallas so I want as little to take care of in Waco as possible. Unfortunately, today was the first day that I was able to apply for housing as I could never get my Bear ID to properly work.

I have heard the dorms are nice but have also heard Baylor has major restrictions on what you are allowed to do in the dorms (well only that you can't have alcohol). This is all hearsay so I am not sure how credible this is. If it is true, I would be quite upset with possibly getting bitched about having a beer after a long day of studying.

I found out today that I am basically not allowed to live in the undergraduate dorm rooms ... just the graduate apartments on the other side of campus. I think that they are concerned about the age/alcohol issues. Looks like I'll be seaching for something off campus.

At this point, I am 95% set on Baylor. As of today, I am officially on 9 wait lists so I'll just have to see how the summer plays out!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

southernroots

New

Post by southernroots » Mon May 11, 2009 8:36 am

chadwick218 wrote:
southernroots wrote:

I found out today that I am basically not allowed to live in the undergraduate dorm rooms ... just the graduate apartments on the other side of campus. I think that they are concerned about the age/alcohol issues. Looks like I'll be seaching for something off campus.

At this point, I am 95% set on Baylor. As of today, I am officially on 9 wait lists so I'll just have to see how the summer plays out!
I'm assuming your #1 choice is one of those waitlists, so good luck!

fhl3l

New

Post by fhl3l » Wed May 13, 2009 3:07 pm

Hello Everyone,

I was a Baylor undergrad, but I am going to a different law school. My parents own a house less than a mile from the law school that is in a great area and very safe. My sister is in charge of the property management so if you have any questions you can contact her below. Good luck at Baylor!

-RENT ONLY $595 ($2380 Total)

-On the Corner of 7th and Daughtry Built in 2004

-Short walk to Campus! (2 Blocks)

-4 Bedrooms/4.5 Baths/2400 SF: Large Bedrooms with private bathrooms. Additional 1/2 Bathroom Downstairs.

-Large Walk-In Closets in Each Room

-Covered Parking! 2 Car Garage and 2 Car Carport

-Security Camera System Installed: Free monitoring system

-Alarm System Installed: Free monitoring System

-Automated Gate in Backyard

-Full Appliance Package: Full Size W/D, Dishwasher, Refridgerator, Microwave, Range, etc.

-Nice Covered Patio

-Granite Countertops, Tile in Kitchen & Living, Carpet in Bedrooms

-Built to Energy Star Standards

-No smoking on Premises
-No Pets

· No Application or Administration Fee

· Water, Sewer & Trash are FREE! (paid by landlord)

· $400 deposit per tenant ($100 nonrefundable)

· Rent: Only $595 per tenant ($2380 total)

· Call Wendy at 512.814.9494 or email at wendyvia07@gmail.com for more information!

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Thu May 14, 2009 6:03 pm

So I get all of this in Waco, TX for a mere $595 + utilities / month and still have to split the house amongst 3 other roommates in a house that is appraised for less than 2,400 square feet? Remarkable!

I am in the process of pulling the county tax records to show what a bogus deal this really is ... unless, of course, your sister is included!

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Sat May 16, 2009 8:29 pm

Last edited by chadwick218 on Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”