Cardozo Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
kow613

New

Re: Cardozo Class of 2012

Post by kow613 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:47 pm

Did anyone try to negotiate for more scholarship using a Brooklyn acceptance? Think it will still work considering the new rankings?

Comrade 72

New

Post by Comrade 72 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:37 pm

kow613 wrote:Did anyone try to negotiate for more scholarship using a Brooklyn acceptance? Think it will still work considering the new rankings?
1. Yes. 2. No.

deadatheist

Bronze

Post by deadatheist » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:27 pm

i can't seem to find the balls to ask if i could possibly be considered from may to fall, seing as how i'm 97% certain this request would be met with an :evil:face or laughter and then promptly dinged. BUT i'm like, 101% certain trying to make all these may deadlines will be the death of me (omg then i really would be a deadatheist! oh no)

anyone have any thoughts on this? or balls i could borrow?

fluffy

New

Post by fluffy » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:41 pm

deadatheist wrote:i can't seem to find the balls to ask if i could possibly be considered from may to fall, seing as how i'm 97% certain this request would be met with an :evil:face or laughter and then promptly dinged. BUT i'm like, 101% certain trying to make all these may deadlines will be the death of me (omg then i really would be a deadatheist! oh no)

There is nothing to fear-- YOU have power, they've already accepted you! Call the admissions office and ask the person who answers what the feasibility would be.. I thought about doing that until I decided May was a better choice for me. From there, decide if you want to take it to the adcomms... I'd try to be prepared with a reason why you want to go in fall versus May, though, like you have a killer job, need to save a few dollars, etc.

good luck!!!

BonjourSunshine

New

Post by BonjourSunshine » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:56 am

I sent my deposit in to start in Fall 2009, but I want to defer a year to continue my position working in a Congressional office.

Any thoughts on the deferral policy at Cardozo? How do I make this request? Is this a realistic option?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:01 am

fluffy wrote:
deadatheist wrote:i can't seem to find the balls to ask if i could possibly be considered from may to fall, seing as how i'm 97% certain this request would be met with an :evil:face or laughter and then promptly dinged. BUT i'm like, 101% certain trying to make all these may deadlines will be the death of me (omg then i really would be a deadatheist! oh no)

There is nothing to fear-- YOU have power, they've already accepted you! Call the admissions office and ask the person who answers what the feasibility would be.. I thought about doing that until I decided May was a better choice for me. From there, decide if you want to take it to the adcomms... I'd try to be prepared with a reason why you want to go in fall versus May, though, like you have a killer job, need to save a few dollars, etc.

good luck!!!
I second this advice; it's not like they would rescind your acceptance for asking! Before my admission, I asked to be switched from May to Fall, because I knew I would have a conflict this summer, and that I needed the scholarship aid. It took a little longer, but I got in, and I got my scholarship. You will only regret it if you don't try.

BSwan

New

Post by BSwan » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:00 pm

kow613 wrote:Did anyone try to negotiate for more scholarship using a Brooklyn acceptance? Think it will still work considering the new rankings?

May seem like a naive question, but how do you negotiate your scholarship? By letter? Phone? Can you negotiate and leverage schools for wait lists acceptances as well?

deadatheist

Bronze

Post by deadatheist » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:11 pm

fluffy wrote:

good luck!!!
yes! i like that method, will DO IT. i so like may for so many reasons, but :sigh: it's just this big logistical nightmare overhere that i wish it wasn't.

thanks thanks thanks!

fluffy

New

Post by fluffy » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:43 pm

deadatheist wrote:
fluffy wrote:

good luck!!!
yes! i like that method, will DO IT. i so like may for so many reasons, but :sigh: it's just this big logistical nightmare overhere that i wish it wasn't.

thanks thanks thanks!
Yup. I know what you mean. I have to get them all these medical records and all kinds of crap by May 11, and I still don't have a place to live, or any money, or anything, etc etc. :(

Any of you guys on the facebook group? It's a little scary. There are like 800 kids from UF in the May program.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:46 pm

fluffy wrote:
deadatheist wrote:
fluffy wrote:

good luck!!!

thanks thanks thanks!
Yup. I know what you mean. I have to get them all these medical records and all kinds of crap by May 11, and I still don't have a place to live, or any money, or anything, etc etc. :(

Any of you guys on the facebook group? It's a little scary. There are like 800 kids from UF in the May program.
Fluffy, if you need help with anything, remember, I already live here. That goes for anyone who needs relocation help, since I know you already know the city seriously well.

deadatheist

Bronze

Post by deadatheist » Fri May 01, 2009 12:39 pm

i asked about the switch. ftr you just get put back on the wl for fall.

i don't want to dooo it, i am happy i've been accepted! wls are hard. deciding is hard. $1,000 deposits are really hard. aaah my life is SO hard.

i seriously really like all the people i've talked to from cardozo, admissions, students, everyone. aren't they awfully nice?

so, say i somehow end up with <week to move from CA to NY. What's the fast and easy way to land a non-sketchy affordable apartment with other real humans? i know people manage to do this, but how? i think most just end up staying with a friend and looking. this will probably have to be my plan of action if cardozo ends up being my fate.

edit: ^ i'm sorry. when i stress, i get rambly. i have been directing all my ramblings the last couple days to tls.

fluffy

New

Post by fluffy » Fri May 01, 2009 2:15 pm

deadatheist wrote:i asked about the switch. ftr you just get put back on the wl for fall.

i don't want to dooo it, i am happy i've been accepted! wls are hard. deciding is hard. $1,000 deposits are really hard. aaah my life is SO hard.

i seriously really like all the people i've talked to from cardozo, admissions, students, everyone. aren't they awfully nice?

so, say i somehow end up with <week to move from CA to NY. What's the fast and easy way to land a non-sketchy affordable apartment with other real humans? i know people manage to do this, but how? i think most just end up staying with a friend and looking. this will probably have to be my plan of action if cardozo ends up being my fate.

edit: ^ i'm sorry. when i stress, i get rambly. i have been directing all my ramblings the last couple days to tls.
You can PM me if you want to talk about last minute moving more.. I did it the first time i moved to nyc and will have to do it again. I may even need a roommate.

thea77

New

Post by thea77 » Fri May 01, 2009 6:28 pm

The senior partner at the firm where I work just asked me if noon is 12pm or 12am.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

deadatheist

Bronze

Post by deadatheist » Fri May 01, 2009 6:45 pm

thea77 wrote:The senior partner at the firm where I work just asked me if noon is 12pm or 12am.
omg is she a cardozo grad in a 1/4 of a million dollars worth of debt? are you sending us a sign??
jk... i just dont get the relevance

meganr

New

Post by meganr » Sun May 03, 2009 3:53 am

Why is that scary? And I'm on the facebook group and only see 3 UF people.

Comrade 72

New

Post by Comrade 72 » Sun May 03, 2009 11:34 am

What is "UF," U of Florida? Why is it cause for distress?

fluffy

New

Post by fluffy » Sun May 03, 2009 1:10 pm

No distress.. facebook always "scares" me. Too much information, I think. I'm too judgmental.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Comrade 72

New

Post by Comrade 72 » Sun May 03, 2009 2:07 pm

fluffy wrote:No distress.. facebook always "scares" me. Too much information, I think. I'm too judgmental.
It scares me too, albeit for a completely different reason, i.e., the critical mass of poorly composed baby pictures which are uploaded every single day by people who you barely tolerated in high school and who by no means should be having children in the first place.

fluffy

New

Post by fluffy » Sun May 03, 2009 2:23 pm

Comrade 72 wrote:
fluffy wrote:No distress.. facebook always "scares" me. Too much information, I think. I'm too judgmental.
It scares me too, albeit for a completely different reason, i.e., the critical mass of poorly composed baby pictures which are uploaded every single day by people who you barely tolerated in high school and who by no means should be having children in the first place.
:)
AND that my parents are on it now
AND that it compels me to add my frenemies, just so I can keep tabs on them.

Comrade 72

New

Post by Comrade 72 » Sun May 03, 2009 2:33 pm

fluffy wrote:
Comrade 72 wrote:
:)
AND that my parents are on it now
AND that it compels me to add my frenemies, just so I can keep tabs on them.
Right. I sort of want a social networking site on which, in lieu of adding one another as "friends," people have the option of merely acknowledging each other's existence. Because that's certainly as far as I'd like to go with some of my alleged FB "friends."

That having been said, I invite and by all means encourage all the y'all to "friend" me; just look for the dude with the really Russian name in the Cardozo 2012 (fall entry) group, and we will be acknowledging each others' existence in no time at all.

thea77

New

Post by thea77 » Mon May 04, 2009 4:26 pm

deadatheist wrote:
thea77 wrote:The senior partner at the firm where I work just asked me if noon is 12pm or 12am.
omg is she a cardozo grad in a 1/4 of a million dollars worth of debt? are you sending us a sign??
jk... i just dont get the relevance

It's not relevant at all, I just thought it was hilarious..

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jilibean

New

Post by jilibean » Tue May 05, 2009 1:34 pm

So I have just decided to accept my place in the May start program at Cardozo. Is anyone else in the same situation of finding housing in NY in the next two weeks? Any advice from anyone that knows the city really well on how to find a reasonable studio that isn't tiny???

fluffy

New

Post by fluffy » Tue May 05, 2009 6:04 pm

jilibean wrote:So I have just decided to accept my place in the May start program at Cardozo. Is anyone else in the same situation of finding housing in NY in the next two weeks? Any advice from anyone that knows the city really well on how to find a reasonable studio that isn't tiny???
Congrats jilibean! See you there...
What I would honestly do is look on Craigslist and sublet for the summer... then you'll move into an already furnished room in an apt. that's already equipped. Then you can move your things at a later date, and have time to find a place you want to stay in long term. That said, I've received several leads from my nyc friends and actually know of a few great sublets/shares in Manhattan and BK, at least one with no roommates attached. If you're interested, PM me, I would love to pass on this info, as I've already secured a place.

I don't think signing a lease on such short notice would be a good idea, unless you are headed to the area this weekend. So, I say sublet is the way to go. A friend of mine at NYU Law said they have an internal website with sublets and such since everyone goes away for the summer. You might be able to tap into something like that at Cardozo, too, I would ask the admissions office to hook you up.

meganr

New

Post by meganr » Tue May 05, 2009 8:56 pm

jilibean wrote:So I have just decided to accept my place in the May start program at Cardozo. Is anyone else in the same situation of finding housing in NY in the next two weeks? Any advice from anyone that knows the city really well on how to find a reasonable studio that isn't tiny???

I don't know if it's too late now but last summer I stayed in the NYU dorms for the Summer. It was extremely convenient and as long as you're a student of some kind you are able to apply for their housing. Maybe they will have some last minute cancellations and can get you in. I got lucky that a friend of mine in Brooklyn has a spare bedroom so I'm able to stay with her. Good luck and I'll see you in May!

jrod

New

Post by jrod » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:23 pm

1 - 2 - 3 - Clear!!!!

We've got a pulse!

Cardozo Class of 2012 thread... this is your second chance at life. Don't waste it.

Any other TLSers who will be attending the rising star of New York legal education?

I for one am getting more and more psyched...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”