UNC 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
tarheels19

New

Re: UNC 2012

Post by tarheels19 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:20 pm

wasn't allowed to play any IM sports due to NCAA rules but from my understanding all of them were played on the two sportsturf fields across from the cemetary on south road and all IM basketball was played at either ramshead or woolen.. theres another sportsturf field behind ramshead that alot of the Club sports teams used for practice

so i think youre sort of shit out of luck.. however one of my friends who graduated carolina law in 07 played in a couple of softball leagues that he found out through the law school that were played at high schools and middle schools throughout orange county
FSUSpot wrote:So this is a little off topic, but a huge deal to me. Does anyone (tarheels19) know if ALL the intramural sports are played on those two artificial turf fields? I just saw a picture of a softball game being played on those fields, and now I am extremely worried lol.

Epicarrion

New

Post by Epicarrion » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:46 pm

So how does everyone feel about getting together for a UNC 2012 meetup at a local bar/restaurant? It would be fun to get to know people in a smaller setting prior to school starting. Anyone interested?

UNC2009

New

Post by UNC2009 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:39 pm

Epicarrion wrote:So how does everyone feel about getting together for a UNC 2012 meetup at a local bar/restaurant? It would be fun to get to know people in a smaller setting prior to school starting. Anyone interested?
I'm in. However, the Carolina Law Ambassadors have some events planned throughout the summer. They are sponsoring going to a Durham Bulls game on Thursday. They have a Facebook group that has all the info. Do a search for "Carolina Law 2012" on Facebook and you'll find the group.

Epicarrion

New

Post by Epicarrion » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:45 pm

UNC2009 wrote:
Epicarrion wrote:So how does everyone feel about getting together for a UNC 2012 meetup at a local bar/restaurant? It would be fun to get to know people in a smaller setting prior to school starting. Anyone interested?
I'm in. However, the Carolina Law Ambassadors have some events planned throughout the summer. They are sponsoring going to a Durham Bulls game on Thursday. They have a Facebook group that has all the info. Do a search for "Carolina Law 2012" on Facebook and you'll find the group.
Thanks. I've been wanting to participate on Facebook but unfortunately I have a full-time job now and I'm friends with folks from work on there. They won't find out I'm leaving for another 2-3 weeks.

UNC2009

New

Post by UNC2009 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:34 am

Epicarrion wrote:
UNC2009 wrote:
Thanks. I've been wanting to participate on Facebook but unfortunately I have a full-time job now and I'm friends with folks from work on there. They won't find out I'm leaving for another 2-3 weeks.
I think you can view the Group without joining. I understand not wanting co-workers to know. I kept my whole "LSAT Study and Administration" a secret from most at work. However, I ended up quitting in the fall, so I didn't have to keep my plans a secret after that!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Epicarrion

New

Post by Epicarrion » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:34 pm

Nice! So after keeping my secrets to myself for all this time, today one of my friends on Facebook blew up my spot. haha I guess that's how it goes. At least my boss isn't my friend on there.

sweetcharade20

New

Post by sweetcharade20 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:00 pm

I will be living at the Villages this year. Saw a bunch of other places but this looked like the best for the money (although compared to Boston everything felt affordable). Also seems relatively quiet and relaxing, out of the way. I only had a day and a half in the area to see things, but I think (hope!?) we made a good choice.

I applied to LEAP - my tour guide at the law school told me a little about it and said it cuts the summer a little but is great for people who have been out of school and who are new to the area. I think it would be worth a few extra days of work to have the added support, especially later in the semester.

Anyone seen a textbook list yet? And I'd LOVE to know what MAGIC day is if there any UNC undergrads around ... so strange!

kpillai

New

Post by kpillai » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:31 pm

sweetcharade20 wrote:I will be living at the Villages this year. Saw a bunch of other places but this looked like the best for the money (although compared to Boston everything felt affordable). Also seems relatively quiet and relaxing, out of the way. I only had a day and a half in the area to see things, but I think (hope!?) we made a good choice.

I applied to LEAP - my tour guide at the law school told me a little about it and said it cuts the summer a little but is great for people who have been out of school and who are new to the area. I think it would be worth a few extra days of work to have the added support, especially later in the semester.

Anyone seen a textbook list yet? And I'd LOVE to know what MAGIC day is if there any UNC undergrads around ... so strange!
Well I graduated from UNC in 2007 and have NEVER heard of MAGIC day. So either it's really new or a law school thing. But with a name like that it had better be something fun!

UNC2009

New

Post by UNC2009 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:09 am

sweetcharade20 wrote:I will be living at the Villages this year. Saw a bunch of other places but this looked like the best for the money (although compared to Boston everything felt affordable). Also seems relatively quiet and relaxing, out of the way. I only had a day and a half in the area to see things, but I think (hope!?) we made a good choice.

I spoke to some rising 2Ls at one of the Carolina Law Ambassadors' summer events and they said 1Ls won't get a textbook list until orientation, right after which they have all the textbooks on display for you to purchase them on the spot. Since classes start a mere 3-5 days after graduation, probably not enough time to purchase through Amazon. They said for 1L it's best just to buy them from the law school since the expedited shipping on Amazon will probably eat up most savings you get.

And I too don't know what MAGIC day is.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

stab master arson

Bronze

Post by stab master arson » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:52 pm

Special guest lecturer for MAGIC day:

sweetcharade20

New

Post by sweetcharade20 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:17 pm

UNC2009 wrote:

I spoke to some rising 2Ls at one of the Carolina Law Ambassadors' summer events and they said 1Ls won't get a textbook list until orientation, right after which they have all the textbooks on display for you to purchase them on the spot. Since classes start a mere 3-5 days after graduation, probably not enough time to purchase through Amazon. They said for 1L it's best just to buy them from the law school since the expedited shipping on Amazon will probably eat up most savings you get.

And I too don't know what MAGIC day is.
Hey thanks for the info!

Mr. Guppy

New

Post by Mr. Guppy » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:56 am

Sadly, I think Magic Day is just when you "magically" have your Thursday classes on a Tuesday or your Friday classes on a Wednesday to make up for holidays and such.

stab master arson

Bronze

Post by stab master arson » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:08 pm

In a non-MAGIC DAY-related matter, has anyone looked into signing up for UNC's Blue Cross plan? Specifically, has anyone looked at the ridiculous premiums for Chapel Hill students, versus those for NC State and for App State students? I know health insurance is ass-rapery in this country, but I was stunned by the differences in rate schedules between the schools. It's obvious we're getting completely reamed on this. What I'd like to know is, why?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

UNC2009

New

Post by UNC2009 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:48 pm

stab master arson wrote:In a non-MAGIC DAY-related matter, has anyone looked into signing up for UNC's Blue Cross plan? Specifically, has anyone looked at the ridiculous premiums for Chapel Hill students, versus those for NC State and for App State students? I know health insurance is ass-rapery in this country, but I was stunned by the differences in rate schedules between the schools. It's obvious we're getting completely reamed on this. What I'd like to know is, why?
Great question... That's why I'm staying with my existing private carrier, Wellpath.

UNC2009

New

Post by UNC2009 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:20 pm

I just got into LEAP via email. Anybody else?

Mr. Guppy

New

Post by Mr. Guppy » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:50 pm

Leap Express.

UNC2009

New

Post by UNC2009 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:48 pm

Mr. Guppy wrote:Leap Express.
I guess they are giving the full version and the Express version because my email didn't say Express. That's news to me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

el_jugador

New

Post by el_jugador » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:32 pm

LEAP starting the 24th. Mine didnt say Express.

UNC2009

New

Post by UNC2009 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:56 pm

el_jugador wrote:LEAP starting the 24th. Mine didnt say Express.
Mine too.

Also on the UNC Law Facebook group, there is some info on a free two day law school preview seminar by Kaplan. Regularly $299, but with the the promo code found on that page, it's free. I just signed up. Here's the link:

--LinkRemoved--

Enjoy.

Mr. Guppy

New

Post by Mr. Guppy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:27 am

They had too many people to have everyone do the full Leap thing, so some of us got Leap Express, the one day thing on the 22nd.

I might consider the Kaplan thing, but I'll be out of town.

DeseoQueSea

New

Post by DeseoQueSea » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:25 pm

I got into LEAP, too.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

stab master arson

Bronze

Post by stab master arson » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:30 pm

All right, I talked to someone at Blue Cross re: health insurance. The lady I talked to said that NC State and App State don't get vision benefits and that App State has a higher deductible. She also said Chapel Hill has more females, who tend to be more expensive to insure, what with all the abortions they're constantly getting.

OK, I made that very last bit up, but I still think it's a load of crap. Vision insurance is not that expensive, and does Chapel Hill really have that many more uteruses than State and App? Looks like I'll be borrowing another $1900 this year.

sweetcharade20

New

Post by sweetcharade20 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:45 pm

Yeah given the number of people they are insuring, vision is likely between 4 and 7 bucks a month per person ... may be less (just did some research for my company, albeit in Boston but still).

Got into LEAP express! Do you think we can park on campus that day since it is Saturday!?

Also, did anyone else get an invite to apply for a Public Interest Peer Mentor Program??

carlylepark

New

Post by carlylepark » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:49 pm

I did, sounds interesting.

TheDreamKeeper

New

Post by TheDreamKeeper » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:03 pm

Anyone just move in? I just moved into the Carrboro area, and I'm getting a feel for the area.

From first glance, I notice that public transit around here doesn't run very late, and it's even earlier on weekends. Anyone know a good way of getting around this, like shuttles or good 'park and rides' that run late in the Carrboro area?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”