Florida State University Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
lrw05d

New

Re: Florida State University Class of 2012

Post by lrw05d » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:34 pm

fischgat wrote:Is it true that UF Law > FSU Law?
...so who likes pie? apple is my favorite kind.

AJaKe

Bronze

Post by AJaKe » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:43 pm

Last edited by AJaKe on Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lily

New

Post by Lily » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:24 pm

According to USNWR, yes. According to me, not necessarily. Location is key for FSU Law. Networking opportunities abound. In addition, FSU has a highly ranked Environmental Law program, which is quite attractive to me.

Generally, though, I would say that law students at U of F and law students at FSU are all going to get an excellent education. Both schools are highly respected throughout the state. :)

fischgat

New

Post by fischgat » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:05 pm

AJaKe wrote:
Hey, fellow 1L, stop being a jerk, get back to our thread, no need to start shite.
Lol, it was just a friendly reminder of who FSU's main rival is. It used to be a fun football rivalry, but now that the games are so one-sided lately, at least we can have a rivalry between the law schools, right?

I miss the good ol' days when UF vs FSU really meant something. But lately it seems that we should just all just be friends. No.

I've been brought up to hate FSU. They used to kill our football team in the 90's. But now that their football team sucks, I should just feel sorry for them and leave them be? No.

I miss you FSU. Get over your inferiority complex and bring back those competitive juices!

I think I'm getting football and law school confused. Whatever. You guys are alright, and your law school is on par with UF. Good luck this semester with your studies, but don't expect much from Bowden's team this season.

Lily

New

Post by Lily » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:21 pm

I miss you FSU. Get over your inferiority complex and bring back those competitive juices!
I concur. (: It's time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ame05d

New

Post by ame05d » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:43 pm

fischgat wrote:
AJaKe wrote:
Hey, fellow 1L, stop being a jerk, get back to our thread, no need to start shite.
Lol, it was just a friendly reminder of who FSU's main rival is. It used to be a fun football rivalry, but now that the games are so one-sided lately, at least we can have a rivalry between the law schools, right?

I miss the good ol' days when UF vs FSU really meant something. But lately it seems that we should just all just be friends. No.

I've been brought up to hate FSU. They used to kill our football team in the 90's. But now that their football team sucks, I should just feel sorry for them and leave them be? No.

I think I'm getting football and law school confused. Whatever. You guys are alright, and your law school is on par with UF. Good luck this semester with your studies, but don't expect much from Bowden's team this season.
You are such a good representation of how I view UF students.

fischgat

New

Post by fischgat » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:23 pm

ame05d wrote:
fischgat wrote:
AJaKe wrote:

You're right, this whole UF vs FSU thing was kind of douchey on my part. My bad.

What is your view of UF students? I really don't want to fit into your UF student stereotype.

lrw05d

New

Post by lrw05d » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:25 pm

fischgat wrote:
ame05d wrote:
fischgat wrote:

You're right, this whole UF vs FSU thing was kind of douchey on my part. My bad.

What is your view of UF students? I really don't want to fit into your UF student stereotype.
--ImageRemoved--

:lol: no hard feelings, fischgat, with an invitation like that i just couldn't resist. here's hoping for an exciting game this year!

green918

New

Post by green918 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:22 am

lrw05d wrote:
fischgat wrote:
ame05d wrote:
fischgat wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

:lol: no hard feelings, fischgat, with an invitation like that i just couldn't resist. here's hoping for an exciting game this year!
As an fsu bound gator, I would like to note my personal hatred for those infamous jorts pictured above. Yikes.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gottaloveJAG

New

Post by gottaloveJAG » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:44 pm

lrw05d wrote:is it just me, or is that orientation book really hard to get through? dont get me wrong, i know casebooks arent exactly going to be juicy romance novels or anything, but I find myself reading this book and realizing I dont remember the last few pages because I zoned out. normally i love to read, but this is just making me nervous. ill blame it on summer.

edit to say classes are up on blackboard! hooray!
+1 (to both!)

Also...what do you guys mean about "deferring" your books?

toolshed

Bronze

Post by toolshed » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:50 pm

From an outsider's perspective:

FSU will surpass UF in the next ten years in the rankings (if that matters to you). UF has rested on law school laurels for a while now, and though their alumni network is tough to beat...the FSU ties to government and clerking opportunities will start to play a big role in the post-Big Law economy of the coming years.

From Leiter's interview: "Florida State is clearly one of the very top ‘regional’ law schools these days—graduates practice regionally, but the faculty is of national distinction. "

green918

New

Post by green918 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:47 pm

gottaloveJAG wrote:
lrw05d wrote:is it just me, or is that orientation book really hard to get through? dont get me wrong, i know casebooks arent exactly going to be juicy romance novels or anything, but I find myself reading this book and realizing I dont remember the last few pages because I zoned out. normally i love to read, but this is just making me nervous. ill blame it on summer.

edit to say classes are up on blackboard! hooray!
+1 (to both!)

Also...what do you guys mean about "deferring" your books?
You can get your books now and pay for them later when your financial aid disperses. You give the book store a check or credit card and they wait until
a certain date to cash the check or charge your card.

fischgat

New

Post by fischgat » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:45 pm

--ImageRemoved--

As an fsu bound gator, I would like to note my personal hatred for those infamous jorts pictured above. Yikes.
Lmao! What is with the whole Gainesville and jorts myth? The only people I see wearing jorts around here are emo-hippies peddling down University Ave on their Huffies. I'm too classy for jorts. I prefer lime-green khacki short-shorts with my Guy Harvey shirt and boat shoes.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

meh

New

Post by meh » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:51 pm

ame05d wrote:I bought my books today! I know it's really early, but I'm going out of town until the 16th and I wanted to make sure I could get them all without a problem and try to grab all the used books I could. Also I was just excited and didn't see a reason why I should wait (I deferred the cost so that wasn't an issue). I bought all but one book used (from Bill's) and the total was $785! Kind of crazy considering fsu estimated our costs for books/supplies at $1200 for the year, and I didn't even look at things like commercial guides/outlines or any school supplies I might need.
Where did you find the book list for each course? Is it on blackboard?

ShadowRabbit

New

Post by ShadowRabbit » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:20 pm

meh wrote:
ame05d wrote:I bought my books today! I know it's really early, but I'm going out of town until the 16th and I wanted to make sure I could get them all without a problem and try to grab all the used books I could. Also I was just excited and didn't see a reason why I should wait (I deferred the cost so that wasn't an issue). I bought all but one book used (from Bill's) and the total was $785! Kind of crazy considering fsu estimated our costs for books/supplies at $1200 for the year, and I didn't even look at things like commercial guides/outlines or any school supplies I might need.
http://www.law.fsu.edu/academic_program ... oklist.pdf

With that orientation email today, in it, it says:

To check your financial aid award and status, visit Blackboard. Under “View Your Status,” click on “Prospective Student.” You will then be prompted to enter your last name, Social Security number and date-of-birth.

Does anyone know wtf they are talking about? I scoured Blackboard and find nothing that said view your status. I know about the student tool kit and viewing for fancial aid profile, but none of that has anything to do with inputing last name, ss numbers and dob.

ame05d

New

Post by ame05d » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:02 pm

fischgat wrote:
--ImageRemoved--

Lmao! What is with the whole Gainesville and jorts myth? The only people I see wearing jorts around here are emo-hippies peddling down University Ave on their Huffies. I'm too classy for jorts. I prefer lime-green khacki short-shorts with my Guy Harvey shirt and boat shoes.
:)
Last edited by ame05d on Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ame05d

New

Post by ame05d » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:19 pm

ShadowRabbit wrote:
meh wrote:
http://www.law.fsu.edu/academic_program ... oklist.pdf

With that orientation email today, in it, it says:

To check your financial aid award and status, visit Blackboard. Under “View Your Status,” click on “Prospective Student.” You will then be prompted to enter your last name, Social Security number and date-of-birth.

Does anyone know wtf they are talking about? I scoured Blackboard and find nothing that said view your status. I know about the student tool kit and viewing for fancial aid profile, but none of that has anything to do with inputing last name, ss numbers and dob.
I'm not sure, but I think that may be for people who have not set up their fsu id accounts. That way they can look at their financial aid award w/o having to log in the regular way with a username and password.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fischgat

New

Post by fischgat » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:52 pm

ame05d wrote:
fischgat wrote:
--ImageRemoved--

do you mean pedaling as in riding bicycles? Or peddling as in selling things on their bikes? It's a good thing you got into uf...... I'm not sure fsu would take you in with that 158.
Sorry about that "peddle" mistake. The grammar and word usage police are so strict over here.

And you're right about the 158 LSAT. It's pretty terrible, but somehow with that measly score I still had a 85 to 95 percent chance of getting accepted into fsu law (http://officialguide.lsac.org/UGPASearch/Search3.aspx).

I have nothing against FSU students. Most of the them are really humble. I guess UF rejection letters have that effect on people.

Is it "effect" or "affect" ame05? I always get those two confused, just like "peddle" and "pedal."

meh

New

Post by meh » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:46 pm

fischgat wrote: Sorry about that "peddle" mistake. The grammar and word usage police are so strict over here.

And you're right about the 158 LSAT. It's pretty terrible, but somehow with that measly score I still had a 85 to 95 percent chance of getting accepted into fsu law (http://officialguide.lsac.org/UGPASearch/Search3.aspx).

I have nothing against FSU students. Most of the them are really humble. I guess UF rejection letters have that effect on people.

Is it "effect" or "affect" ame05? I always get those two confused, just like "peddle" and "pedal."
You're an average fish in a small pond. Get over yourself.

fischgat

New

Post by fischgat » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:57 pm

meh wrote:
fischgat wrote: Sorry about that "peddle" mistake. The grammar and word usage police are so strict over here.

You're an average fish in a small pond. Get over yourself.
You're wrong! I'm a below average fish in a small pond.

kevinm

New

Post by kevinm » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:58 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lrw05d

New

Post by lrw05d » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:57 pm

ouch, the punches are flying. ame, that was a little harsh, grammar mistakes dont warrant a personal attack. fischgat was just talking about jorts, no biggie. and fischgat, lets be honest, most of us who got accepted to fsu were also accepted to uf.

playful competition is one thing, but all this silly pretending that the law schools are that different is nonsense and we all know it.

so lets just get along and save the smack talk for the football field. :wink:

fischgat

New

Post by fischgat » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:29 pm

lrw05d wrote:ouch, the punches are flying. ame, that was a little harsh, grammar mistakes dont warrant a personal attack. fischgat was just talking about jorts, no biggie. and fischgat, lets be honest, most of us who got accepted to fsu were also accepted to uf.

playful competition is one thing, but all this silly pretending that the law schools are that different is nonsense and we all know it.

I agree with everything you said. I just felt embarrassed when ame brought up my tragic lsat score, so I resorted to personal attacks to compensate for my low self esteem. Surprisingly it worked!

But then ame took it too far. Nothing gets my blood boiling like someone pointing out my righting flaws. :x

ame05d

New

Post by ame05d » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:43 pm

fischgat wrote:
lrw05d wrote:ouch, the punches are flying. ame, that was a little harsh, grammar mistakes dont warrant a personal attack. fischgat was just talking about jorts, no biggie. and fischgat, lets be honest, most of us who got accepted to fsu were also accepted to uf.

I agree with everything you said. I just felt embarrassed when ame brought up my tragic lsat score, so I resorted to personal attacks to compensate for my low self esteem. Surprisingly it worked!

But then ame took it too far. Nothing gets my blood boiling like someone pointing out my righting flaws. :x
you're right that I should have resisted the temptation to say something (I was kidding btw), but honestly, what are you doing on this thread anyway?

fischgat

New

Post by fischgat » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:19 am

you're right that I should have resisted the temptation to say something (I was kidding btw), but honestly, what are you doing on this thread anyway?
Honestly, I came on here because the UF Class of '12 page is lame. There are only three people on it. I wanted some TLS entertainment, so I hopped on the FSU page to stir it up.

I have a rooted respect/fear for FSU that stems from a childhood of watching the 'Noles beat down the Gators. It's more than just a football rivalry. FSU and UF have been sworn rivals for decades, so I just wanted to let the rivalry continue with my totally untrue comments about the inferiority of everything FSU.

Sorry if I offended anyone. I guess people just don't enjoy friendly in-state rivalries anymore. I respect your college very much, and deep down I fear that FSU Law will surpass UF Law in the near future. As a life-long Gator fan, losing to FSU is something I have trouble accepting.

Honestly, I came on here to post comments like "UF > FSU" to make myself feel better about the eventual drop that UF Law will experience in the rankings. I dream of a utopia where FSU is always behind UF (except literally).

I wish everyone a successful and enjoyable law school experience, and I look forward to continuing our never ending rivalry.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”