Florida State University Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
lrw05d

New

Re: Florida State University Class of 2012

Post by lrw05d » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:23 am

ame05d wrote:i think so too! i facebook searched your lrw05d a while ago and saw that we were friends! our mutual friends list of girls whose last names all start with "w" confirmed it lol
lol thats so funny! yeah, my lack on a unique username makes me easy to find! see you sunday then!

lrw05d

New

Post by lrw05d » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:28 am

meh wrote:What time did we end up going with?
Im not sure if we ever nailed down an exact time, I think a lot of people were cool with 9 pm. I realized I have something to do earlier in the evening, so I might be a little late (10 ish).

ame05d

New

Post by ame05d » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:25 pm

lrw05d wrote:
meh wrote:What time did we end up going with?
Im not sure if we ever nailed down an exact time, I think a lot of people were cool with 9 pm. I realized I have something to do earlier in the evening, so I might be a little late (10 ish).
i will probably be scared to get there too early in case i am the first.... so i might be fashionably late (930ish) :)

TKM

New

Post by TKM » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:50 pm

So I just spent $856 on books. It was painful.

green918

New

Post by green918 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:20 pm

TKM wrote:So I just spent $856 on books. It was painful.
+1.
I felt robbed and violated by bill's bookstore.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lrw05d

New

Post by lrw05d » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:11 am

TKM wrote:So I just spent $856 on books. It was painful.
holy shit. ive already spent $200 on 4 commercial outlines, the required orientation book, and "getting to maybe". this is going to be a swift kick in the wallet.

edit: which is cheaper for law books, bills or fsu bookstore?

Quagmire316

New

Post by Quagmire316 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:50 am

Couple questions on hornbooks and E&E's. Do we buy the student versions of a particular subjects hornbook, or the hardcover version?? Can someone possibly link the hornbooks they have purchased already? thanks.

green918

New

Post by green918 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:25 pm

Would anyone be up for some sort of carpool to Finnegan's tomorrow to alleviate "first person there" anxieties?

lobos

New

Post by lobos » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:37 pm

Quagmire316 wrote:Couple questions on hornbooks and E&E's. Do we buy the student versions of a particular subjects hornbook, or the hardcover version?? Can someone possibly link the hornbooks they have purchased already? thanks.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =3&t=26949

List of threads with more info than you could ever want on the subject of hornbooks and supplements.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lrw05d

New

Post by lrw05d » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:43 am

green918 wrote:Would anyone be up for some sort of carpool to Finnegan's tomorrow to alleviate "first person there" anxieties?
i definitely think it would be a good idea to at least exchange numbers with a few other people that are going that way we can have text communication...dont want to walk in and ask a random person "hey, you aren't a stranger i met on an internet forum about law school, are you?" lol

jackrabbitjones

New

Post by jackrabbitjones » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:49 am

I will be up for carpooling or exchanging numbers. I actually thought about getting there earlier because there is a baseball game I want to watch that starts at 8 (I'm assuming this place has tvs) (and, no, I'm not past watching baseball and drinking by myself so long as my defense is "my internet friends are coming").

PM for cell numbers? I creepily facebook friended some of you the other day. You might be able to pick me out.

Mortalnato

New

Post by Mortalnato » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:49 pm

Just finished moving all my stuff in so I should be good to go tonight. My name is Ben Eisenberg in case anyone wants to facebook friend me.

Lily

New

Post by Lily » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:33 pm

Well, it appears I will not be at Finnegan's tonight. I am sick. Lame.

Have fun, y'all. I am going to sleep until orientation. (;

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ame05d

New

Post by ame05d » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:43 pm

Last edited by ame05d on Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mortalnato

New

Post by Mortalnato » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:48 pm

I'm getting ready to go. Anyone else heading out yet?

gottaloveJAG

New

Post by gottaloveJAG » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:13 pm

I'm heading over to Finnegan's Wake now...hope I find you guys!
Can't wait : )

gottaloveJAG

New

Post by gottaloveJAG » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:32 am

ShadowRabbit: Thanks for the info! I must have completely missed that when I was reading through the Orientation info. I'll definitely bring my laptop!!

BTW: I had a blast meeting most of you at Finnegan's Wake tonight! I can't believe we had around 20 people show up! So great. See you all on Tuesday : )

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tbone101

New

Post by tbone101 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:54 pm

i never post, so what better time to write a brief treatise on FSU life than with 12 hours to go until orientation! first thing, the rain cooled it off some so it looks like it will be 88 instead of 98 degrees the rest of this week. Also, the main semester for undergrad hasn't started yet so keep that on mind on day 1 when parking is everywhere and things seem deserted. No matter how many garages they build, parking is always a huge hassle at FSU. It's just nice knowing you don't have to leave an hour early or rush to get a spot if you pay for the Civic Center parking (they still had some spots open as of today, but 87 people had already bought one apparently :shock:, likely experienced 2 and 3L's or over anxious 1L's buying them early).

Might want to check your email too, because they sent out a changed orientation schedule at the last minute, it seems the same as the other one, just tells you what section you in, divided by last name. 2 for me. Oh, and this version also includes notes under certain lectures along the lines of: "Be prepared to discuss pages 1-89 from What you REALLY need to Know book". I'm sure that will be delightfully awkward seeing as how no one has apparently gotten past chapter 2.

Do all your Suntrust and FSUcard stuff ASAP, its a week away from classes starting and already the wait was almost an hour. Same thing for buying books, in the past i have stood in line for nearly an hour, it gets ridiculously busy (both at bills and the main bookstore) this time of year, especially next week. Go EARLY in the morning and the place will be deserted though. I also go with the FSU bookstore over Bill's. FSU's store always seems to have everything in stock, where as bill's always seemed to be missing a few things, granted that was for undergraduate stuff.

and for those worried about taking their laptops, if it is anything like the main campus's network, if you have any computer skills at all you can figure it out. it is essentially "Here download this program, run it, amd youre good to go", BUT if you want it to be a SECURE connection (who wouldn't?) there are a few more steps required. The computer/tech people were always efficient and helpful so I wouldn't sweat it.

Uhh... other advice to those new to the campus...

parking police actually take their crappy jobs seriously here, to the extent of towing your vehicle, so if you are in a situation where you aren't sure if you're in student parking lot, err on the side of caution. Also, a lot of frats and sororities have their own private lots, which are easy to confuse with a gravel FSU lot. For like 5 months my sophmore year I thought I had discovered a hidden, secret parking lot that always had spots and was in a great location. Then one day as i was driving off some broseph frat clone jumped in front of my car raging about "WHERE IS YOUR %*^&ING STICKER BRO! WHERE IS IT!", and i was like "ohhh.... this must be your guys' lot, my bad" and you could tell he wanted to keep arguing over it, but i just never parked there again. The next year they tore down that frat house and put up new dorms :mrgreen:

the campus is really big, and we aren't even on the campus proper, in theory you could go the whole year without ever seeing the real mass of humanity that makes up FSU's student body, but where is the fun in that? There's restaurants all over campus, especially around the student union (across the street from the bookstore). there is also club down under which offers a bunch of free concerts for students. it's really good for seeing indie bands before they get big, i saw Girl Talk there before he even started doing "real" shows, and to see him you have to go to something like Bonaroo! They also have guest speakers there, that vary greatly, from people who were on "The Real World" to people who have actually done something interesting with their lives. There is also an open air market going on in union every Wednesday, mostly people just selling music, movies, posters, and incense... there is also usually some sort of amateur rap performance going on on the main stage thing. hard to explain, but just go by there one Wednesday. its also where all the crazy ultra right or left wing people go, including this preacher who tells every girl that walks by that they are a whore. it's fun to see him almost get punched out by a pissed off crowd member any time he shows up.

in case you didnt notice, its really hot and humid here and will be like this until the end of October, then we have decent "winter" weather than can last through mid-April. So get used to carrying an umbrella as a torrential downpour can come out of nowhere.

your FSUcard also gives you access to the gym, its directly across from the stadium near the Clown College. It's three stories tall and loaded with all sorts of equipment, courts, and tracks. It is also full of girls who put on make up as if they were going to a bar, and just sort of walk half-assedly on the treadmills for hours. :idea:

some good restaurants near campus: Gordo's (Cuban food), Jim and Milt's (BBQ), Gumby's Pizza, and this Greek resturant (forget the name) right next door to Gumby's which is good. There are good places all over town you just have to know where to look. Everything north of the interstate seems like it's a completely different city, the section of town is called Kilearn, and its where a lot of the richer people tend to live so if you are looking for a Fresh Market or something, head there. These is also this awesome sushi place, well two, one is near campus Jasmine's, and another called... something i forget, it starts with an N i think. Both those places are great and a step above places like Chili's, Abblebee's, et. al.

oh and finally, locate Thagard Health Center, they are very quick and efficient and won't hesitate to write you a prescription. It always seems like 90% of the people in there are getting tested for STD's or something though judging by their sullen faces. The two "real" hospital's in town are ALWAYS packed, waiting in their ER's surrounded by what are apparently homeless people for 3 hours is not fun, just go to Thagard.

I would say I will be the guy wearing a Richard Pryor or "The Big Lebowski" t-shirt tomorrow, but after I ran the idea past my mom I think she literally wanted to strangle me - and i know she is obsessed with this thread and reads it at work - so mom don't read this, and if you do, yes i am actually going to wear a collared shirt now leave me alone :lol:

My name is Ryan and I will be in group 2 sporting a beard and a blue polo. If you guys have any questions about the area feel free to ask, i've lived here for over 5 years now and have lived in most sections of town and know shortcuts (there are tons) around town.

One last warning: never go to the section of town called french town, its a square mile or two in size located directly to the East of campus and it's the "bad" part of town where it would seem prostitutes and crack dealers have the right of way.

Oh yeah, and buy some flip flops, 99% of the student population wears nothing but them, even during winter months. You'll see a guy with a heavy jacket, jeans, and... flip flops :lol:

ame05d

New

Post by ame05d » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:33 pm

to add: Jasmine's is nothing special, but Sakura, Masa, and Mr. Roboto's (soo good and super cheap) are all awesome sushi places with their own unique vibes. Avoid Sumo Sabi. Another great restaurant is Monk's on Tharpe & High, across from wachovia and brewster's...

If you have a dog there are two different dog parks in town, one is really pretty and much closer to campus and other is much nicer but further away (although after talking to people it seems like most people live east of monroe as opposed to the campus side of town).

Be creative in your parking search. I never had a problem parking, but I also looked on side streets and obscure areas on campus. As long as the curb is not painted red or yellow and there is no sign explicitly prohibiting you from parking there, the spot is good. But as the poster before me said, in Tallahassee "tow away zone" really means tow away zone. If you think you can park at blockbuster or pizza hut and walk to AJ's, you will soon discover it was an $88 mistake!

Also, if anyone is interested in playing coed flag football, let me know! I've done it twice before and it was really fun and not too time consuming. It could be something to do besides studying :)

I'm on page 89! 61 to go.......

tbone101

New

Post by tbone101 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Masa's is what i was thinking of! And yes, i prefer them over Jasmine's, but some people think the opposite, and Jasmines is a lot closer to campus. Parking at both places sucks though. Come to think of it, parking sucks pretty much everywhere here, especially in apartments. They will have about 500 parking spots for residents, and maybe 10 or less visitor parking spots. You can imagine the chaos this creates when going to a party at some place with limited parking. Packing 20 people into cars and such, good times.

and you are right ame05d, eventually parking wasn't an issue for me because i would get there right before the mad rush for spots in between classes and there are tons of parking lots that are kind of off the map and overlook. for instance, right past that knew parking garage by the law school, there are 3 gravel parking lots on pensacola that almost know one parks in.

another thing, i notice that is an FSU account. Did they give you a new email address that ended with @law.fsu.edu or just reactivate your old account? They just re-activated my account i got when i started in '03 here. for some reason that bummed me out because I for some reason wanted a new @law email address :|

I hope you guys like fried chicken, Guthrie's is great and MIGHT NOT be a franchise, however there's also all the franchise places like KFC, Popeyes, Zaxby's... I prefer Asian cuisine, they just opened a knew Japanese place which looks promising out near Kilearn. The Rice Bowl seems to be everyone's favorite, they server 3 different cuisines, Vietnamese, Thai, and Japanese, but imo it's nothing exceptional. Their are a couple of thai places, and apparently a new Indian restaurant that I want to check out...

I guess I should be finishing off the book (almost done) but now all i can think about is finding a new Thai place to eat. In reality I will probably be living off canned sardines and tuna after taking a look at those book prices :shock: At least, you can defer the payment of the books by filling out some paperwork and they will take the cost out of any student aid you have coming, along with tuition, so you can get your books before finaid is actually dispersed (2nd week of classes).

Can't wait for the first football game, campus transforms, RV's everywhere, lots of tailgating. Oh and your first Friday/Saturday night in town, don't be surprised to see an entire fleet of cop cars lining Tennessee street. When all the clubs close they sometimes turn off traffic lights and direct everything by hand, pretty chaotic if you dont know what's actually going on.

See you all tomorrow :mrgreen:

tbone101

New

Post by tbone101 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:08 am

wow getting up early sucks. nothing strikes fear into the heart of a person that hasn't gone to school in around a year like a buzzing alarm clock :shock:

at least i know the clock works :|

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tbone101

New

Post by tbone101 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:58 pm

Welp, that was a long 9 hours.

I didn't know a professors pet peeves could be "not enough class participation" and "students raising their hands too much". :?:

Lily

New

Post by Lily » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:54 pm

I am Jasmine lover. Another amazing thing about Jasmine is that they have rad "happy hour" beer specials on their draft beers that go from, like, noon til 8 or something insane like that.

The place tbone was referring to that is by Gumby's is called Pitaria. It is YUMMY. I also recommend Sahara (their sign says "Greek and Lebanese" Cuisine) and Cabo's. Both of those are located on Lafayette. Cabos has some serious burritos and always has some sort of healthy options. They also have a great brunch on Sundays from 9-2. In the other side of the plaza that Cabos is in, there's an Indian restaurant called "Essence of India" that has VERY CHEAP lunches. You pay 6.99 and you get an entree (with naan and rice), a small salad, and a cup of soup (usually lentil or vegetable). They have a more varied menu for dinner, but lunch is the real bargain.

Does anyone care to know where the cool thrift/vintage stores are? I like that kind of stuff, so let me know if you want to know the skinny.

green918

New

Post by green918 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:12 pm

Lily wrote:I am Jasmine lover. Another amazing thing about Jasmine is that they have rad "happy hour" beer specials on their draft beers that go from, like, noon til 8 or something insane like that.

The place tbone was referring to that is by Gumby's is called Pitaria. It is YUMMY. I also recommend Sahara (their sign says "Greek and Lebanese" Cuisine) and Cabo's. Both of those are located on Lafayette. Cabos has some serious burritos and always has some sort of healthy options. They also have a great brunch on Sundays from 9-2. In the other side of the plaza that Cabos is in, there's an Indian restaurant called "Essence of India" that has VERY CHEAP lunches. You pay 6.99 and you get an entree (with naan and rice), a small salad, and a cup of soup (usually lentil or vegetable). They have a more varied menu for dinner, but lunch is the real bargain.

Does anyone care to know where the cool thrift/vintage stores are? I like that kind of stuff, so let me know if you want to know the skinny.
+1 on Pitaria. It's the reason I don't like pita pit.

I really like the other side vintage and several of the other galleries and such in railroad square. Are there any others around town besides the couple on Gaines?

tbone101

New

Post by tbone101 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:11 pm

Lily wrote: Does anyone care to know where the cool thrift/vintage stores are? I like that kind of stuff, so let me know if you want to know the skinny.
There are 5-6 Goodwills around town, my favorite is the one near applegate and pensacola. Sort of a shady area, but always has great stuff. There is a non-Goodwill thrift store somewhere around town, but i havent been there in years, im sure I could relocate it.

Also, right by our campus there is a sort of vintage/hipster store on the right (if you are heading towards Monroe) on Gaines street. There is also an awesome club down there if you like indie music, i saw Iron and Wine there, amazing stuff, the name just escapes me (i am horrible with names if you couldnt tell).

Also, VINAL FEVER off of pensacola on the corner of white. best record store in town. lots of used CD's, DVD's, posters, etc... but if your like me, the main attraction there is the Vinyl, they are one of the only places in town to carry a relatively well aranged assortment of old school vinyl records, which is an essential for me as i sample some stuff for songs I produce. you can waste hours flipping through their records in search of the perfect album, my most recent finds: Instrumental Chronic 2001, and the Dolomite soundtrack.

Has anyone else joined the Student Bar Association yet? It seems like some events could be fun and they give you free bumper stickers (after you pay $100 to join) :roll: It would be cool to be a member of whatever board they have and add some diversity to the events, they even let 1L's in as representatives. I should probably run out of boredom, as they are elected by fellow 1L's. VOTE TABOR '09! I PROMISE FOUNTAINS OF NACHOS AND BEER AT ANY EVENT. (disclaimer: promises are likely to go unfulfilled but I will try!)

I think a lot of their events will and can be fun, but some stuff like the "law school prom" will likely be awkward as hell judging by how little social interaction there is at orientation.

Highlight of the day: "Break out" student panel girl suggesting we only study with members of the same sex because if we dont we could end up marrying our study partner like she did. oh my! :lol:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”