Michigan State Law Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
hopper

New

Re: Michigan State Law Class of 2012

Post by hopper » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:39 am

THe 4L means he did the JD/LLB 2 years at Michigan 2 years in Ottawa. For those who attended any of the big welcome days, how long was it, was it worth while, should I bother making a trek for this day or should just get a one on one visit.

Thanks

AverageGuy

New

Post by AverageGuy » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:01 am

tbullet7 wrote:I'm having a hard time making a decision about MSU law school. I'm relatively attached to the state and was offered a full ride as part of the King Scholars program (which includes some pretty cool stuff outside of just the tuition). However, I was also offered half tuition at U of Illinois. What do people think? I've heard a lot about MSU's poor ranking and how this could seriously cripple job prospects elsewhere, but does anyone know how this is affected if you graduate near the top of your class?
Hasn't anyone figured out yet that every single law student plans on graduating near the top of their class? We're all smart, we're all driven, and we're all competitive.

Go to the school with the lowest GPA requirements to keep your scholarship, the highest employment and bar passage rates in the state in which you want to practice, or the school where you feel most comfortable -- not the school where you plan on being near the top of your class.

Lawguru

Bronze

Post by Lawguru » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:09 am

AverageGuy wrote:
Go to the school with the lowest GPA requirements to keep your scholarship, the highest employment and bar passage rates in the state in which you want to practice, or the school where you feel most comfortable -- not the school where you plan on being near the top of your class.

Or go to the clearly better school.

fightin illini 25

New

Post by fightin illini 25 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:56 am

Yeah UIUC is definitely the better school, plus the only requirement to keep your scholarship is to stay in school, which allows for a more laid back atmosphere I would figure.

fordtheriver

New

Post by fordtheriver » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:55 am

What is the king's scholars program? Requirements/ benefits?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tbullet7

New

Post by tbullet7 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:37 am

...of course I've figured out that everyone plans on graduating near the top of their class, and that all of us are pretty intelligent people. I'm not so arrogant to assume that I'll be there, I just wanted to know some information about how big of a difference that will make.

The Kings Scholar program is full tuition so long as you have above a 3.0. There are also some specific classes that Kings Scholars take together, a paper that is written, extra benefits with counseling, extra networking opportunities and things like that. It's also noted on the transcript (not sure exactly what difference this makes, but they seem to note it in a lot of the literature).

Anyway, I'm still leaning toward MSU.

I know UIUC is a better school, but it still seems like MSU would be the better choice. They're on the rise. Also, I'd really rather not graduate with 60k in debt from tuition alone. That's the amount left over after UIUC's half-tuition. (It's 20k a year. I'm approximating). I don't think I'm necessarily going after BIG LAW, so I don't think the amount I'll make afterward would be a big enough difference to offset the debt from UIUC. I enjoyed my visit to MSU.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something drastic in my considerations.

Now that I've looked at these forums more (last post was my first), this doesn't seem like the right place for this kind've post.

Thanks to anyone who is being helpful!

prophecybysnakes

New

Post by prophecybysnakes » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:31 pm

I'm pretty sure this is where I will be come September! I'm also seriously considering grad housing...I can barely tolerate winter as it is...let alone having to shovel my car out everyday for five months...walking to class is starting to sound pretty good.

jne381

Platinum

Post by jne381 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:05 pm

I sent off my $300 dollar seat deposit today. I guess I am really going to law school.

jne381

Platinum

Post by jne381 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:00 pm

Now I can officially root for MSU in the Final Four. :)
Last edited by jne381 on Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:11 pm

jne381 wrote:Now I can officially root for MSU in the Final Four now. :)
I'm not going but I still will.

jne381

Platinum

Post by jne381 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:04 pm

GO STATE!!!!

Can they pull out the upset?

stunguncoyote

New

Post by stunguncoyote » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:35 pm

This was the first school I was admitted to. I was offered a 25% scholarship and I was all set to go. BUT UW-Madison offered me a sweet deal and so I withdrew from MSU. I am happy about what happened but still wonder what I will miss out on at MSU.

prophecybysnakes

New

Post by prophecybysnakes » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:00 pm

Well, at least our basketball team is rad...

As a former wolverine it feels really weird to say "our" in conjunction with MSU...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wahlx062

New

Post by wahlx062 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:34 am

Planning on withdrawing from MSU tomorrow. I was really impressed with the school, however, decided UST was a better choice for me. Hope that helps someone out on the WL. *karma*

jne381

Platinum

Post by jne381 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:36 pm

SO, is anyone coming to MSU except me.

I know they lost the NCAA tourney, but come on people.

prophecybysnakes

New

Post by prophecybysnakes » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:00 pm

Me! Well, actually I am still waiting on one more school that I really really love...but I'm pretty sure I'm getting rejected. Soooo. Yes. I am 90% confident I will be at MSU in the fall.

Does anyone know if MSU has a loan repayment assistance plan???

jne381

Platinum

Post by jne381 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:46 pm

That makes two. We need a few more to represent.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pdubs217

New

Post by pdubs217 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:56 pm

Admitted to MSU on 2/16! (My birthday, no less!)

I'm currently about to graduate from MSU with my BA in Psychology, and really considering going here.

Pros: Already familiar with the area, networked already, connections with both campus and Lansing politics, potential to get my masters in English
Cons: Maybe too many friends (as in, potential distractions), hesitant to stay at the same place for a few more years.

My suggestion, however: do not live in Owen Hall (the graduate housing). It's terrible and not worth the price. It's a bit more expensive, but there are some nice apartments along Grand River. I currently know a few 2Ls that just hike the few minutes to the school.

My sister is a 3L at MSU. Her friend on law review is graduating at the top of his class and is moving to DC next month, and has a six figure job lined up. So the potential for greatness is there... provided you don't hit up Harper's every 1/2 off Wednesday.

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:58 pm

prophecybysnakes wrote:Well, at least our basketball team is rad...

As a former wolverine it feels really weird to say "our" in conjunction with MSU...

former?

:cry:

prophecybysnakes

New

Post by prophecybysnakes » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:09 pm

awesomepossum wrote:
prophecybysnakes wrote:Well, at least our basketball team is rad...

former?

:cry:
I did undergrad there. But I will always root for Michigan over MSU, even though Michigan had no love for a 3.3 gpa slacker like me. I'm pretty sure Dean Z laughed her ass off while reading my application!! :D

Globetrekker

New

Post by Globetrekker » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:30 pm

Count me in!

I was set between two other schools, but with my scholarship upped to a full-ride this morning, I'm not turning it down. The J.D/LL.B. thing is really getting to me too, so I think I'm headed to MSU.

I'm also originally a Wolverine, but UM's not feeling the love for me for law - so whatever. Close enough to my old friends without the debt or constant distraction.

Any recs on where to live?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:58 pm

Globetrekker wrote:Count me in!

I was set between two other schools, but with my scholarship upped to a full-ride this morning, I'm not turning it down. The J.D/LL.B. thing is really getting to me too, so I think I'm headed to MSU.

I'm also originally a Wolverine, but UM's not feeling the love for me for law - so whatever. Close enough to my old friends without the debt or constant distraction.

Any recs on where to live?
Yeah, you're full of crap. T14, McGill, UConn, now MSU? You were SO set on McGill. I call FLAME!

FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME

Flames don't respond to posts, either.

dieselandcoco

New

Post by dieselandcoco » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:37 am

edit
Last edited by dieselandcoco on Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jne381

Platinum

Post by jne381 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:23 am

That is a tough choice. UCLA is a great school, and Souther California is really awesome. I guess you have to make the decision based on what kind of law you want to practice and where you would like to practice. If you want to practice big firm law in California, I would recommend UCLA. I would also look at debt repayment plans UCLA has, if you want to do public interest type of stuff. If it isn't all that great, MSU may be a good choice depending on what you want to do.

Globetrekker

New

Post by Globetrekker » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:06 pm

Cool
coolkatz321 wrote:Yeah, you're full of crap. T14, McGill, UConn, now MSU? You were SO set on McGill. I call FLAME!

FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME

Flames don't respond to posts, either.
Haha, Coolkatz, that was amusing, but only because it's dead wrong. Except yeah, I feel like this cycle had turned me into a flake. This time - thanks to deadlines passing, I think I'm settled.

It's actually really logical.

T14 - $180,000 debt. (and Iowa, a great school, was $120,000+)
McGill - $100,000+ debt, not near the US portability I wanted. Throw in a 35% tuition hike, and so long Canada.
UConn - I got in...hoped to get money...didn't...withdrew.
MSU - Free. I don't want big law. I want the JD/LLB from Ottawa (not McGill but as close as you can get), and this is how I can do it.

So..I guess I'm a Spartan. But I'll always be a Wolverine.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”