Michigan State Law Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Hockey Master

New

Re: Michigan State Law Class of 2012

Post by Hockey Master » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:36 pm

AverageGuy wrote:I like MSU's program and facilities, although I'm worried about Michigan's economy (and MSU didn't give me any money, which would have made all the difference).
As a current MSU undergrad, and resident of the state for the last 14 years, I can attest that the economy sucks. The lawyer I work for says he hasn't really been affected by the slowdown, so that's good, especially because hopefully in 3-4 years, things will be better.
crystalhawkeye wrote:Meh, cheerleaders will be at almost every school.

I'm not for sure going to MSU yet, but I am debating it more seriously now. I visited on Thursday and I must say, what an awesome campus. They have a forest randomly in the middle of campus, right next to the river. It doesn't get much better. The law building is spiffy, too, for those who haven't visited.

The one big deterrant for most is the liklihood of having to practice in Michigan. First of all, it isn't a certainty. MSU doesn't place terrifically OOS, but they are not all-inclusive for Michigan. Plenty go to Chicago, New Jersey, even Florida, oddly enough. And second, staying here wouldn't kill me. Living in Dexter, White Lake, or some such area and commuting to Ann Arbor, Troy, Birmingham, maybe even Detroit, to work would not be too bad a life. I wouldn't be making the big money, but with only ~$50K in debt toal, including UG and living costs, I wouldn't have to. I could live happily working 50-60hrs/wk. and live in an area very underappreciated.
Two things, first: MSU has some fine trim. Also, dance team in the first picture, cheerleaders in the second.

Second, the campus is wonderful. A nice modern/old dynamic, with the river area too. Plus, Grand River (the street...the river through campus is the Red Cedar) is a wonderful strip right on the edge of campus, creating a feeling of enclosure for the campus, but a vibrant life waiting on the edge.

It's my understanding that Chicago is too bloated. Think about the number of people that want to go there, and the number of law schools in the area that pull people in, like NW, UC, UI, etc. The metro-Detroit area is great, just the city itself has a number of problems. There is a certain character of the area that just makes it seem familial.
AverageGuy wrote:Anyone get any info about the grad student dorm at the ASD? I can't get away from school to go to an ASD, which is frustrating.

I read in one of the law school books that the singles in the grad student dorm are really small. What exactly does that mean? A big closet? Positives: rolling out of bed and getting to class in five minutes, not worrying about shoveling out a car and driving to school in MI snow, and having a year to check out apartments and find a compatible roommate.

On the other hand, I'm not sure about being surrounded by other law students 24-7. I also can't imagine inviting someone over to my "dorm room" at my age, made even worse if it's a closet.
Owen is awful. They're not worth it. Those dorms are being redone (somewhat) this summer, but from what I understand, it's not much better than the other dorms (like the ones I live in now). There are some good apartment deals anyway.

Plus, you wouldn't necessarily be surrounded by law students. Owen is the general graduate dorm. Most of the people who live there are either people who didn't get a chance to look for other options and international students.

As for driving, something to note is the bus system, CATA (rated #1 in the nation, by some poll last year). The MSU/CATA station is right next to the Law Building, and the buses go everywhere, by all the major apartments. And plus, the campus is always pretty if you're walking.
Globetrekker wrote:Count me in!

Any recs on where to live?
There is an apartment complex just north of the river, less than 5-minutes walking from the Law Building, called Cedar Village. It's right on the edge of campus, and there are a number of other complexes in there, like Waters Edge. More expensive than some other things, and keep in mind that that is Ground Zero for the riots. Still, probably the most convenient place to live that's not a dorm.

There are a few other options on the edge of campus, that aren't really that far away either, but keep in mind that the campus is two-miles wide. To the east and south is Glenwood, and east is Capitol Villa. North of campus down quite a bit is Chandler Crossings and Abbot Place. They're bigger apartments and cheaper, but not walking-close at all. That's a drive or take the bus. Far away south and west are the cheapest options, but even further away.

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:42 pm

Globetrekker wrote:Cool
coolkatz321 wrote:Yeah, you're full of crap. T14, McGill, UConn, now MSU? You were SO set on McGill. I call FLAME!

FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME

Flames don't respond to posts, either.
Haha, Coolkatz, that was amusing, but only because it's dead wrong. Except yeah, I feel like this cycle had turned me into a flake. This time - thanks to deadlines passing, I think I'm settled.

It's actually really logical.

T14 - $180,000 debt. (and Iowa, a great school, was $120,000+)
McGill - $100,000+ debt, not near the US portability I wanted. Throw in a 35% tuition hike, and so long Canada.
UConn - I got in...hoped to get money...didn't...withdrew.
MSU - Free. I don't want big law. I want the JD/LLB from Ottawa (not McGill but as close as you can get), and this is how I can do it.
So..I guess I'm a Spartan. But I'll always be a Wolverine.
Yeah, riiiiiight. And just out of curiosity, what T14 school was that? I still don't buy it.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:52 pm

Globetrekker wrote:So..I guess I'm a Spartan. But I'll always be a Wolverine.
Just don't let others at MSU hear you say that.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:49 pm

So they've thrown me a curveball - I withdrew about 2 weeks ago to make my decision final. And today I got a call from MSU saying, "Yes, we know you withdrew. Yes, we know you had a decision.. or so you thought. Here's a full-ride. Still want to withdraw?"

I never thought I'd be unhappy to receive money. God dammit.

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:05 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:So they've thrown me a curveball - I withdrew about 2 weeks ago to make my decision final. And today I got a call from MSU saying, "Yes, we know you withdrew. Yes, we know you had a decision.. or so you thought. Here's a full-ride. Still want to withdraw?"

CRYSTAL! I think you should attend given your circumstances...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jne381

Platinum

Post by jne381 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:15 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:So they've thrown me a curveball - I withdrew about 2 weeks ago to make my decision final. And today I got a call from MSU saying, "Yes, we know you withdrew. Yes, we know you had a decision.. or so you thought. Here's a full-ride. Still want to withdraw?"

You should come to MSU and help me bump up their numbers. We will rock that place.

AverageGuy

New

Post by AverageGuy » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:19 pm

Wow, offering a lot more money after a withdrawal sounds like MSU has rejection issues.

I'd be happy with $10,000. I'd be happy with $5,000. I showed MSU the love when I sent my seat deposit several weeks ago. I even had to go buy my own MSU Law t-shirt. My numbers don't do anything for their statistics, so I didn't get any money at all. Not surprising, but I hope doesn't indicate how I'll be treated as a student there. Whine, whine, whine.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:42 pm

jne381 wrote:You should come to MSU and help me bump up their numbers. We will rock that place.
Ha, I feel I'd have to or they'r really be pissed at offering me anything.
AverageGuy wrote:Wow, offering a lot more money after a withdrawal sounds like MSU has rejection issues.
Yeah, I had that same sort of thought go through my mind. When the other line said it was someone from MSU, I first thought they were calling to ask why I'd chosen a different school. They already had me do a "Why don't you want to go to MSU?" survey; I thought this could be a follow-up guilt-trip. That they would "pamper" me with this blanket of funds would probably make me feel more pressured than honored anyhow. And if I wasn't top 5%, LR editor, future name-on-the-door somewhere, I'd be letting them down and plauged by even more guilt.

Bother...

jne381

Platinum

Post by jne381 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:47 pm

AverageGuy wrote:Wow, offering a lot more money after a withdrawal sounds like MSU has rejection issues.

I'd be happy with $10,000. I'd be happy with $5,000. I showed MSU the love when I sent my seat deposit several weeks ago. I even had to go buy my own MSU Law t-shirt. My numbers don't do anything for their statistics, so I didn't get any money at all. Not surprising, but I hope doesn't indicate how I'll be treated as a student there. Whine, whine, whine.
It is too bad they didn't give you any cash, but they seem to be fairly generous in general. When I asked for cost of living on top of tuition, they told me that they don't give out more than tuition so they can give money out to more students. If this is true, it seems rather populist of them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Globetrekker

New

Post by Globetrekker » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:05 pm

I didn't think of that, crystal. Thanks for the pressure, haha. If I don't do well, they'll be so mad they gave me a full-ride.

At the same time, if we all go, and do well, the numbers go up, and maybe the rankings will too. I think MSU is doing better than most anyone at trying to get their numbers up, and thanks to the Big 10 and MSU reputation, they've got a decent case.

Lake-effect, here I come...

prophecybysnakes

New

Post by prophecybysnakes » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:43 am

I'm going! Party at MSU next fall...

I want some money too... :(

fordtheriver

New

Post by fordtheriver » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:55 am

To the people who got their schollys bumped up...did they just call Wednesday? Were you at 75% before? Congrats!!! I'm hoping for a bump up :D

Globetrekker

New

Post by Globetrekker » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:51 am

fordtheriver wrote:To the people who got their schollys bumped up...did they just call Wednesday? Were you at 75% before? Congrats!!! I'm hoping for a bump up :D
Yep - I had 75% from whenever I had been accepted a few months ago, and then they called Wednesday morning and bumped it up. Crazy what $8,000 more a year can do, huh? But sounds like not everyone is taking it, so I hope you're next!!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fordtheriver

New

Post by fordtheriver » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:47 pm

Globetrekker wrote:
fordtheriver wrote:To the people who got their schollys bumped up...did they just call Wednesday? Were you at 75% before? Congrats!!! I'm hoping for a bump up :D
Yep - I had 75% from whenever I had been accepted a few months ago, and then they called Wednesday morning and bumped it up. Crazy what $8,000 more a year can do, huh? But sounds like not everyone is taking it, so I hope you're next!!!
Ahhh I hope so...I'm probably a bit farther down the line but it would certainly make my decision easier.

msumike75

New

Post by msumike75 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:35 am

Congrats on becoming Spartans. I did my undergrad there and it was awesome. Anothe not so bad place to ive is Dover's Crossing off of Jolly and Dunkle. I lived there my senior year and it was pretty nice. It was less expensive than being close to campus and it was pretty quiet as well. The bus ran every 35 minutes or so and it took about 30 minutes to get to campus, so it is pretty far. There is always the option of getting a commuter lot pass and catching the bus from there as well.

fordtheriver

New

Post by fordtheriver » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:04 pm

To those that had their schollys bumped up to full rides, did they give you a day to accept by? My seat deposit extensions are up soon at my other choices so I have to get on with making a decision....ahhh

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:06 pm

fordtheriver wrote:To those that had their schollys bumped up to full rides, did they give you a day to accept by? My seat deposit extensions are up soon at my other choices so I have to get on with making a decision....ahhh
I think they said they'd extend my deposit deadline to May 1st.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

QW3R7Y

New

Post by QW3R7Y » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:09 pm

My deposit deadline is May 1st, but that is because of the scholarship offer. I'm currently still in debate about whether or not to attend MSU. My scholarship was raised to 75%.

prophecybysnakes

New

Post by prophecybysnakes » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:57 am

Thanks to everyone for the apartment suggestions...I can't decide where to live...What's everybodys opinion on roommates? Is it a bad idea? I don't think I can live alone :(

menlow

New

Post by menlow » Tue May 05, 2009 12:24 am

Apparently, I missed the email but my scholarship was increased. MSU is now a strong contender.

For those who went to a visit day, how was it and what impressions of the school did you get? Also, any good freebies?!

fordtheriver

New

Post by fordtheriver » Wed May 06, 2009 12:51 pm

menlow wrote:Apparently, I missed the email but my scholarship was increased. MSU is now a strong contender.

For those who went to a visit day, how was it and what impressions of the school did you get? Also, any good freebies?!
The visit day was quite nice. Everyone was friendly and the professors were engaging. They gave us pens with a flash drive which are quite nifty/a useful freebie.

To MSU students or those familiar with the area, are there any other apartment complexes within walking distance of the school other than the 2 mentioned? I would also be interested in a small house or something of that sort. Any suggestions of where to find to find that? Are most apartments filled already? I'm not very familiar with the area so I feel like walking distance would be best + my car is terrible in the snow. Thanks guys!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

khill

New

Post by khill » Wed May 06, 2009 10:38 pm

Well I'm 99% sure I'm going to MSU in the fall. I'm going to visit the campus the end of this week to check out the building and all that before paying the deposit.

We should meet up and have a drink before the semester starts and get to know each other a little.

menlow

New

Post by menlow » Thu May 07, 2009 1:12 am

khill wrote:Well I'm 99% sure I'm going to MSU in the fall. I'm going to visit the campus the end of this week to check out the building and all that before paying the deposit.

We should meet up and have a drink before the semester starts and get to know each other a little.
a/s/l?

:D

fordtheriver

New

Post by fordtheriver » Thu May 07, 2009 8:27 am

Haha

da142

New

Post by da142 » Thu May 07, 2009 8:34 am

Any recs on where to live?[/quote]

There is an apartment complex just north of the river, less than 5-minutes walking from the Law Building, called Cedar Village. It's right on the edge of campus, and there are a number of other complexes in there, like Waters Edge. More expensive than some other things, and keep in mind that that is Ground Zero for the riots. Still, probably the most convenient place to live that's not a dorm.

There are a few other options on the edge of campus, that aren't really that far away either, but keep in mind that the campus is two-miles wide. To the east and south is Glenwood, and east is Capitol Villa. North of campus down quite a bit is Chandler Crossings and Abbot Place. They're bigger apartments and cheaper, but not walking-close at all. That's a drive or take the bus. Far away south and west are the cheapest options, but even further away.[/quote]

As a graduating senior who lived within a few minutes of cedar village, i would NEVER recommend a grad student of any type to live there. The apartment complex was declared blighted years ago and every weekend some slop-show student is going to throw up in your hallway. If i had to guess i would say the overall grad student population of cedar village is less than 2%, if any. these apartments are NEVER quiet. The only bonus is the fact that they are near campus. I would recommend Chandlers Crossings although it is a hike.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”