Michigan State Law Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Luis Gomez

Bronze

Re: Michigan State Law Class of 2012

Post by Luis Gomez » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:40 pm

!In as a King Scholar!

hameeds2

New

Post by hameeds2 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:48 pm

I know a lot of people on this topic have said they got full rides, do you guys mind saying your numbers so I have an idea of what to aim for if I want a full ride here or a half-ride at u of i? Thanks

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:23 pm

hameeds2 wrote:I know a lot of people on this topic have said they got full rides, do you guys mind saying your numbers so I have an idea of what to aim for if I want a full ride here or a half-ride at u of i? Thanks
they list it on their website. minimum: 3.6/160 for consideration. That is flexible to a degree for splitting (e.g. 162/3.5 would still get an offer)

Luis Gomez

Bronze

Post by Luis Gomez » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:27 pm

hameeds2 wrote:I know a lot of people on this topic have said they got full rides, do you guys mind saying your numbers so I have an idea of what to aim for if I want a full ride here or a half-ride at u of i? Thanks

166 and around a 4.0 UGPA, (I am an international applicant), I first received an full merit faculty scholarship and was later told I could also be included in their King Scholars Program which really interests me.

I know applicants who claim they have good $ offers and boast lsat scores in the low 160s or a UGPA under 2.8.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

plex

New

Post by plex » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:18 am

"Go state", my jaw dropped when I read your horrible advice to "Smart Guy," about his chances of employment in "IP law".

The fact you were following along with what Smart Guy said about what he wanted to practice, "IP law," and did not automatically assume that he was actually thinking of patent law, when Smart guy was an electrical engineer, was pretty ridiculous. It is pretty obvious you know nothing about "IP law" or the market for patent attorneys.

Go look up what the highest median/mean pay type of law is, and also the type of background that is best suited for it. It isn't corporate law.

The short of it is though: Smart guy actually did have a good shot at making 100k+, at least if you was going into patent law, which he definitely had the background to go into. Law students who end up doing patent law only make up 2% of the law school, at best, so that is why the 100k+ doesn't stand out from the general law student numbers. And by 100k+, I mean you make 100K out in the middle of nowhere as a patent attorney, and most of the larger patent firms in Michigan are in the 125-135k range. Did you even look at the OCI packet? It should have jumped out at you.

Whether this sort of path would have suited Smart Guy is a different story, but, the point is, you missed the boat entirely, and posted random statistical information that didn't really apply to Smart Guy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Go State

New

Post by Go State » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:37 am

plex wrote: The short of it is though: Smart guy actually did have a good shot at making 100k+, at least if you was going into patent law, which he definitely had the background to go into. Law students who end up doing patent law only make up 2% of the law school, at best, so that is why the 100k+ doesn't stand out from the general law student numbers. And by 100k+, I mean you make 100K out in the middle of nowhere as a patent attorney, and most of the larger patent firms in Michigan are in the 125-135k range. Did you even look at the OCI packet? It should have jumped out at you.
I got a final tomorrow so I don't have the time to look this up right now, but there was a total of 20 firms that were suppose come to MSU this year for OCI, and 1 of those was in IP (I have no idea if they even do patent work). However, as I recall they dropped out of OCI and did a resume pick-up. Not coming to OCI is pretty much like saying that they don't want to hire people at that school (or simply don't have enough space for them), and many firms were limiting their interviews just to OCI for the most part since they were planning such a small class size as it was. The economy right now isn't exactly great for attorneys, and it is even worse in Michigan. Firms that specialize in patents/IP are typically smaller and don't have very large class sizes (and probably even smaller class sizes this year) so I don't see why one of those very limited number of spots for patent law in a Michigan firm would go to Smart Guy after leaving MSU when they could easily pick up students here at UM (which is even more true if smart guy were to have fall at the median at MSU -- i.e. why would they hire him over someone that has decent grades here at UM (firms weren't even hiring down to the median for the most part here at UM this year)).

murielg

New

Post by murielg » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:47 am

though this is really for c/o 2013- my hubs just got in w/a 50% scholly. due to reading this thread, i'm waiting up to tell him to forget it! :?

jne381

Platinum

Post by jne381 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:10 pm

Luis Gomez wrote:!In as a King Scholar!
Frick dude. You have a 166, a 3.9, and you're Mexican. Where don't you want to go for free? That should be the appropriate question.
Last edited by jne381 on Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Go State

New

Post by Go State » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:39 pm

jne381 wrote:
Frick dude. You have a 166, a 3.9, and your Mexican. Where don't you want to go for free? That should be the appropriate question.
I'd be surprised if t20s didn't throw decent money at him to attend. I think he'd be in at t10s (not sure about how much $, if any).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Luis Gomez

Bronze

Post by Luis Gomez » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:23 pm

Well thanks, if it turns to be right, you guys will instantly become my favorite prophets.

Sadly I only applied to one T20 (Illinois and doubt I will be able to afford it), and two T10 (Chicago and Michigan, where I can almost in-vision the rejection letter).

I am still seriously considering MSU because of the King Scholars Program and the affiliation with MSU. If only it were higher in the rankings it would be completely appealing.

Cheers, fellow TLS users.

Tuukie11

New

Post by Tuukie11 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:31 pm

Just curious if anyone knows how they deal with splitters. My GPA (3.95 according to LSAC) is way above what is needed for $$$, but LSAT (154) is lower. Ideas?

P.S. I am applying for a dual degree (MHRLR/JD) with the school of industrial and labor relations, so maybe that would help?

mikeddaqb

New

Post by mikeddaqb » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:47 am

Hey Go State,

What did you finish in your class in order to transfer to UM?

Luis Gomez

Bronze

Post by Luis Gomez » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:00 pm

Go State wrote:
jne381 wrote:
Frick dude. You have a 166, a 3.9, and your Mexican. Where don't you want to go for free? That should be the appropriate question.
I'd be surprised if t20s didn't throw decent money at him to attend. I think he'd be in at t10s (not sure about how much $, if any).
Not to brag, but Go State's predictions are pretty accurate. Just got 35,000 a year from UIUC.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Go State

New

Post by Go State » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:54 pm

mikeddaqb wrote:Hey Go State,

Top 2%.

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:42 am

Go State wrote:

Top 2%.
Sufficient but not necessary probably ;)

Go State

New

Post by Go State » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:55 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:
Go State wrote:

Top 2%.
Sufficient but not necessary probably ;)
I think you probably have a top anywhere in the top 4-5% for a shot. It looks like everyone at the top of the class applies to transfer to UM from MSU. There are a lot of other factors at work with UM. If you are a Michigan resident that seems to be a plus, and if you are a UM undergrad that seems to be a plus (out of the MSU/WSU transfers pretty much everyone, except myself, was at least one of those, many were both).

lostjake

Bronze

Post by lostjake » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:03 pm

Trolling at its best here.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

spartanlaw877

New

Post by spartanlaw877 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:30 pm

So, what are the jobs looking like after graduation??

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”