Penn State Dickinson School of Law 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
mari

New

Re: Penn State Dickinson School of Law 2012

Post by mari » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:52 am

Clever username wrote:
Jones, Dow wrote:
SoxyPirate wrote: Damn that's a big incoming class.
yeah, this might hurt us next year in the rankings. THey hired a bunch of professors which got the student teacher ratio to 10.? : 1 and it probably contributed quite a bit to the rankings jump. When all of us scrubs get there it might water that number down and it will hurt the ranking.
I was told by Elena DeLuca at the scholarship dinner that they expected the class to still be in the range of 200-250, as it has been for at least the past few years. She said they have the capacity to expand if they want to or get an unexpectedly high number of attendees, for lack of a better word, but she said she still sees the class as being in that range. It could just be that the sections could accomodate that many people, not necessarily that they will.
+1. Sections are just seat space, flexibility. When I visited I also was told that class size will remain as is. I seem to recall 150 for UP, 100 for Carlisle, for the incoming class. They are hiring new faculty, very selectively, according to their website. Faculty would oppose a large increase in class size.

Anyway, the USNWR rank just rose from 77 to 65. Temple is now also at 65, down from 59 last year.

dsl2011

New

Post by dsl2011 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:00 am

SoxyPirate wrote:
mari wrote:Today they posted the class schedules for next fall. I can see them because I am already in the system, as a part-time employee at another campus. Other new admits probably cannot see them yet. We all get registered automatically, anyway. Here is the link to the first-year curriculum: http://www.law.psu.edu/academics/required.cfm

The schedule shows "available seats," which usually indicates the capacity of the classroom assigned. From that info, it looks like there will be two sections at Carlisle of up to 80 people each, and three sections at University Park of up to 73 people each. At University Park, it looks like one of the sections will not have to come to campus on Fridays at all. I could be wrong.

The Writing sections are capped at 35. There are three of those sections in the schedule for Carlisle and six for University Park. All the writing sections are either MW or TTh; no Friday meetings. It looks like all Carlisle students and some UP students will have writing at 8 a.m. on MW.
Damn that's a big incoming class.

Please don't let it be me.
As a current 1L in Carlisle, I thought I might be able to provide a little bit of perspective on what to expect class size to be like for your incoming class.

Someone mentioned above that there are a total of 9 Legal Writing Sections capped at 35 students each. (6 in UP, 3 in Carlisle.) While they have a cap at 35, (as they did for my last two semesters) a more realistic estimate is about 20-25 students per Legal Writing section, give or take. (My section this semester has 17 or 18 people.)

With 20-25 per section as a rough guide, you are looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of 180-225 total for the incoming class, and I would lean towards the higher of the two judging by this year's 1L class of about 200.

While I hate to play into the USN rankings game too much, I wouldn't worry about the student/faculty ratio negatively impacting the numbers for next year. With all the new faculty hires over the course of this year, I would be very surprised if the ratio changed much, if at all.

Also, selectivity with the incoming class went through the roof this year, which will certainly help in the rankings game. The law school received something like 2700 applicants last year, and this year received somewhere in the area of 4200 applications to fill a class that I think should be roughly the same size.

mari

New

Post by mari » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:20 pm

Woah. Thanks!

arich24

New

Post by arich24 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:29 pm

Congrats on your acceptance, and decision! And HEY OH Dickinson's new ranking:) I'm a 1L at Carlisle, and look forward to meeting you all. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns!

dkelch317

New

Post by dkelch317 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:55 am

Anybody know where I can find the computer requirements for Dickinson? I can't find it on the website, and I don't think we have received anything yet that told us what the required specs are.

Thanks in advance.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Clever username

New

Post by Clever username » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:37 am

dkelch317 wrote:Anybody know where I can find the computer requirements for Dickinson? I can't find it on the website, and I don't think we have received anything yet that told us what the required specs are.

Thanks in advance.
There aren't any. Mac or PC, it doesn't matter. Your choice.

dkelch317

New

Post by dkelch317 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:20 pm

Clever username wrote:
dkelch317 wrote:Anybody know where I can find the computer requirements for Dickinson? I can't find it on the website, and I don't think we have received anything yet that told us what the required specs are.

Thanks in advance.
There aren't any. Mac or PC, it doesn't matter. Your choice.
OK, but what about spec requirements? processor? hard drive size? RAM? Does anyone know what they require?

mari

New

Post by mari » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:16 pm

On computer requirements, here is the page that lists contacts. Scroll down for the IT people. http://www.law.psu.edu/site/listing.cfm

You could also try sending a query to help@dsl.psu.edu, or phoning them at (814) 867-1526.

I just got a Dell mini running a Linux system, "ubuntu." I am already in the Penn State network since I teach UG part-time at another campus. With the help of a friend, I was able to load the VPS software into my new Linux system. I tested it in State College, and it connects seamlessly with the network at the law school. If you have a Windows or Mac system, it's very easy to download and use the VPN. The Dell mini is very cheap, and featherweight. You can get it loaded with Windows, though mine is Linux. I can easily get into Angel with it. "Angel" is the Penn State course management system, comparable to Blackboard. As a UG instructor, I use it a lot. Law school profs will use it to give us assignments, etc.

The only further question, for me, is whether the mini with Linux can run the specialized software that the law school gives you for taking exams. If it cannot, then I will bring my older laptop, which runs Windows.
Last edited by mari on Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mari

New

Post by mari » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:18 pm

Anybody else going to the dedication of the Katz Building tomorrow in State College? I'll be there, soaking up the ambiance. Also, possible free cookies.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Simsational77

New

fsd

Post by Simsational77 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:16 pm

fvd
Last edited by Simsational77 on Mon May 10, 2010 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mari

New

Post by mari » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:31 pm

They do the registration for us. Don't worry about it.
I don't know for sure about White Course apts but I think you'll be fine without a car. There is a nice bike rack outside the Katz Building. I saw it again today at the dedication. I shot some video, including the bike rack, and if I get time this weekend I'll edit it and post it.
By coincidence, I sat next to someone in the student government. She told me that there was a good response to the suggestion of parking spaces dedicated to car-pool cars, so they are working on the details on that.

dkelch317

New

Post by dkelch317 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:19 am

mari wrote:On computer requirements, here is the page that lists contacts. Scroll down for the IT people. http://www.law.psu.edu/site/listing.cfm

You could also try sending a query to help@dsl.psu.edu, or phoning them at (814) 867-1526.

I just got a Dell mini running a Linux system, "ubuntu." I am already in the Penn State network since I teach UG part-time at another campus. With the help of a friend, I was able to load the VPS software into my new Linux system. I tested it in State College, and it connects seamlessly with the network at the law school. If you have a Windows or Mac system, it's very easy to download and use the VPN. The Dell mini is very cheap, and featherweight. You can get it loaded with Windows, though mine is Linux. I can easily get into Angel with it. "Angel" is the Penn State course management system, comparable to Blackboard. As a UG instructor, I use it a lot. Law school profs will use it to give us assignments, etc.

The only further question, for me, is whether the mini with Linux can run the specialized software that the law school gives you for taking exams. If it cannot, then I will bring my older laptop, which runs Windows.
thanks!

mari

New

Post by mari » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:54 pm

Here are photos of the bike racks at the Katz Building in UP. Little one in front, big one in back.

The white tent in the background was for the dedication ceremony last Friday.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Clever username

New

Post by Clever username » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:25 pm

So when is everybody moving to State College? I can get into my apartment Aug. 14 and plan on moving in over the course of that weekend.

Edit: Or Carlisle for that matter. Kind of forgot about that.

jrabich

New

Post by jrabich » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:24 am

dkelch317 wrote:
mari wrote:On computer requirements, here is the page that lists contacts. Scroll down for the IT people. http://www.law.psu.edu/site/listing.cfm

thanks!
I called PSU's computer store, asking for the requirements, and I was told that there pretty much aren't any specific requirements. Also, the store will be receiving a bunch of new laptops soon, and according to the guy I spoke with, the prices on the website will drop significantly within the next few weeks... if anyone is thinking of purchasing from there: http://computerstore.psu.edu/

orange

New

Post by orange » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:28 am

I'll probably be among the Carlisle crowd, unless, by some miracle, Maryland decides to let me in.

SoxyPirate

Bronze

Post by SoxyPirate » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:52 am

Clever username wrote:So when is everybody moving to State College? I can get into my apartment Aug. 14 and plan on moving in over the course of that weekend.

I imagine my wife and I will be up there sometime in mid-August. We'll be going up in the next few weeks to look for housing.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

allegheny

New

Post by allegheny » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:02 am

Do you think Penn State will accept from their waitlist? Any suggestions?

dkelch317

New

Post by dkelch317 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:20 pm

SoxyPirate wrote:
Clever username wrote:So when is everybody moving to State College? I can get into my apartment Aug. 14 and plan on moving in over the course of that weekend.

I imagine my wife and I will be up there sometime in mid-August. We'll be going up in the next few weeks to look for housing.
my wife and I have already begun our search as well, and will be going up to UP sometime in the next few weeks

dkelch317

New

Post by dkelch317 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:22 pm

jrabich wrote:
dkelch317 wrote:

thanks!
I called PSU's computer store, asking for the requirements, and I was told that there pretty much aren't any specific requirements. Also, the store will be receiving a bunch of new laptops soon, and according to the guy I spoke with, the prices on the website will drop significantly within the next few weeks... if anyone is thinking of purchasing from there: http://computerstore.psu.edu/
really? there are no specific requirements for the law school software? Westlaw, Lexus? Exam software?

hmmm

jrabich

New

Post by jrabich » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:31 pm

dkelch317 wrote:
jrabich wrote:
dkelch317 wrote:

thanks!
really? there are no specific requirements for the law school software? Westlaw, Lexus? Exam software?

hmmm
According to the computer store-- nope. However, I'd check out a few other sources before purchasing anything. I'm going to call ITS people sometime this week or next & will let you guys know. If you find out before though, share the news :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mari

New

Post by mari » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm

The law school IT staff are different from the university IT staff, I think. The computer store is something else altogether.

dkelch317

New

Post by dkelch317 » Sun May 03, 2009 8:56 am

mari wrote:The law school IT staff are different from the university IT staff, I think. The computer store is something else altogether.

exactly, that's the impression I got

arich24

New

Post by arich24 » Sun May 03, 2009 7:12 pm

No specific requirements. I have a Mac here and everything words just fine (exam software all the legal research sites). Many of my friends have PCs, they work great too although, be careful with 64 bit, you have to download a different VPN & some people have problems.

mari

New

Post by mari » Sun May 03, 2009 7:33 pm

Arich, does the exam software work through the VPN, or is it a program that we download and use on our own machines?

I ask because my new machine runs Linux, but I got the VPN to work on it anyway, and now I have no trouble with Angel or any other program that I access through VPN. However, I can't download other goodies from Penn State like the mail programs, the virus protection, or the word processors. (I get web mail just fine, though. Same with library stuff including Westlaw.)

If the exam software needs Windows to run, then I will plan to bring my old machine on exam days. Actually, I guess I don't even need to know this now. Just eager to get going.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”