W&M 1L Housing Decision Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
PiTTrower27

New

W&M 1L Housing Decision

Post by PiTTrower27 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:19 pm

As a future W&M 1L this August, I'm starting to think about where to live in the Williamsburg area. After two years of being off-campus in undergrad, I don't think the Gradplex is for me. Ideally, I'd like to room with another 1L (misery loves company) off-campus. Anyone else heading toward the same decision? The admitted student apartment guide is pretty helpful, but I'm wondering what the popular places are for law students, and any thoughts about finding a roommate.

soxfan08

New

Re: W&M 1L Housing Decision

Post by soxfan08 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:32 pm

Looks like I'll be heading there in the fall as well. I also have lived off-campus my last 2 years of UG and can't imagine being back in a dorm. I am not sure about a roommate, but I do like the idea of it making me be more social and for sharing the cost. I am not sure what I will do.

As for apts, I have been speaking with a grad from UG who is a 1L at W&M this year about housing. She lives in Oxford at New Town. I visited the school a few weeks ago and checked it out. Its very nice, new, lots of services, pool, gym, clean, and a good size (it even has a car wash for some reason). However, it is expensive for a 1BR (around $1000-1050 w/o utilities). For a 2BR its about about $1250 if I recall, so with a roommate that is more reasonable. When I was visiting, I spoke with a person at the desk and she said they had around 30 WM grad students living there this year and are expecting more next year. The other place she suggested where a lot of law students live is called Powhatan at Monticello. I drove by and didn't look as nice as the other place, not as nice of an area (the New Town area looks pretty cool to live in and apparently law students hang out there a lot), and roughly the same price. Those are the only two I was told about, but I am sure there are much cheaper options for students besides the gradplex.

As for finding a roommate, there is a roommate survey on the admitted students website I believe, however I am not sure if the whole process is up and running this early. That would be my best bet to find someone blind. The thought of living with a stranger reminds me of being placed in a dorm as a freshman, so I have to figure that out.

Also, you should ask this question to fly over on the WM 1L taking questions thread. He's been very helpful and probably can speak about cheaper places if those two seem a bit costly.

Fly

New

Post by Fly » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:46 pm

Soxfan, thanks for the rave review. :D

Here's a list of some available apartments/houses for rent in W-Burg:

http://sin.wm.edu/modules/housingcenter ... owseOffers

There are a lot of listings added daily, so keep checking back. I live in the gradplex, but this is a good way to find a good deal in town. Hope this helps.

PiTTrower27

New

Post by PiTTrower27 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:54 pm

Thanks Fly, that link is a huge help.

I guess I'll just send out some emails and see what the options are. Hopefully I can get down to Williamsburg in the next week or two and look at a couple options so I can make a decision.

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:07 pm

If I had stayed in Williamsburg any longer, I was going to move into Oxford New Town. It was just opening up as I was about to leave. I checked it out and it is very nice and it is in a decent area. It's very convenient to shopping (Target, Trader Joe's, some retail shops) and it is also fairly convenient to school (approximately 5-8 minutes).

I would recommend you stay away from Spotswood Commons. I had several very bad experiences there, including another resident of my building vandalizing my door stoop with eggs presumably because I called the cops on them when they were having several parties on their balcony at 3 and 4 in the morning. The complex was very nice when I moved in but after 1.5 years when I moved out it had gone way downhill. It used to be the "premiere" apartment complex in Williamsburg but I would say that Oxford Newtown is now the best one.

If you want to avoid the undergrad scene, don't live in King & Queen and there's a few others I can't remember.

I have plenty of more info on a lot of the apartment complexes there so if you have any questions about a specific one feel free to ask.

FWIW, there aren't too many "bad" areas in Williamsburg, but some are definitely better than others. I can't tell you where all the law students live, but I don't think there's one place where they overwhelmingly congregate. As you can probably tell from the housing guide, there are not that many options.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

High LSAT / Low uGPA

New

Post by High LSAT / Low uGPA » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:11 pm

limegreen wrote:If I had stayed in Williamsburg any longer, I was going to move into Oxford New Town. It was just opening up as I was about to leave. I checked it out and it is very nice and it is in a decent area. It's very convenient to shopping (Target, Trader Joe's, some retail shops) and it is also fairly convenient to school (approximately 5-8 minutes).

I would recommend you stay away from Spotswood Commons. I had several very bad experiences there, including another resident of my building vandalizing my door stoop with eggs presumably because I called the cops on them when they were having several parties on their balcony at 3 and 4 in the morning. The complex was very nice when I moved in but after 1.5 years when I moved out it had gone way downhill. It used to be the "premiere" apartment complex in Williamsburg but I would say that Oxford Newtown is now the best one.

If you want to avoid the undergrad scene, don't live in King & Queen and there's a few others I can't remember.

I have plenty of more info on a lot of the apartment complexes there so if you have any questions about a specific one feel free to ask.

FWIW, there aren't too many "bad" areas in Williamsburg, but some are definitely better than others. I can't tell you where all the law students live, but I don't think there's one place where they overwhelmingly congregate. As you can probably tell from the housing guide, there are not that many options.
Is your last name Scrooge?

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:16 pm

Spotswood was at the time the highest priced apartment complex in Williamsburg and I moved there because they said it was extremely quiet. If I wanted to live somewhere people were having parties every night keeping me up I would have lived down the street for half price.

I am not "scrooge" but I do value my peace and quiet when I am at my place of residence. It was also during the end of the semester and I was trying to graduate and prep for the LSAT simultaneously. Regardless, it was completely ridiculous. They literally just stood on their balcony and screamed and sang karaoke at 3 in the morning. I tried complaining to the complex but it just got worse so I decided the cops would be better.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”