University of Florida 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
lawschool7777

Bronze

Re: University of Florida 2012

Post by lawschool7777 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:09 pm

Is anyone buying supplements yet? Someone posted on the fb group about buying E&Es and hornbooks. Thoughts?

AJaKe

Bronze

Post by AJaKe » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:09 pm

Last edited by AJaKe on Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AJaKe

Bronze

Post by AJaKe » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:03 pm

Last edited by AJaKe on Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:05 pm

AJaKe wrote:I HAVE HOUSING! GLORY BE HALLELUJAH, I HAVE HOUSING!
Congrats!

AJaKe

Bronze

Post by AJaKe » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:55 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:02 pm

Two first day assignments posted for Section 2.

Contracts and Crim Law FTW.

And Thursdays don't look very promising...

ILSP in 12 days and counting.

AJaKe

Bronze

Post by AJaKe » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:12 pm

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:12 pm

AJaKe wrote:
mistergoft wrote:Two first day assignments posted for Section 2.

Contracts and Crim Law FTW.

And Thursdays don't look very promising...

ILSP in 12 days and counting.

I've got 3 up for Section 2... but I guess that depends on who you got for Legal Writing.
Yeah, as I interpret it, there are far more legal writing classes than there are sections, so, I think that they break sections down further into these courses. Also, I believe that the curves in said classes are a bit more relaxed, though, I don't have any UF specific evidence to back up that belief.

That being said... My legal writing course has five required texts; I am praying they aren't that expensive...

lawschool7777

Bronze

Post by lawschool7777 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:57 pm

As for Legal Writing, I think that I read somewhere on the UF website that they are pass/fail, so the curve shouldn't really be an issue

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fischgat

New

Post by fischgat » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:48 pm

What up peeps? If it weren't for this forum, I still wouldn't know what section I'm in. Thanks!

It's Section 1.

Now I'm buying the books online, but unfortunately there are only used Tort Law casebooks. WTF? I don't want someone's sloppy seconds. Is there another way to buy these books online through deferment?

AJaKe

Bronze

Post by AJaKe » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:40 pm

Last edited by AJaKe on Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:07 am

AJaKe wrote:
fischgat wrote:What up peeps? If it weren't for this forum, I still wouldn't know what section I'm in. Thanks!

It's Section 1.

Now I'm buying the books online, but unfortunately there are only used Tort Law casebooks. WTF? I don't want someone's sloppy seconds. Is there another way to buy these books online through deferment?
They have a sort of bookstore in the building (greer? idk the names yet) They might do it.

Edit: BTW Section 2, I bought an extra Contracts book (Concepts and Case Analysis .. Chirelstein ...9781599410272, because I'm awesome. Make me an offer if you need it still
You can buy your books through deferment from the UF Law bookstore.

lawschool7777

Bronze

Post by lawschool7777 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:38 am

PKSebben...I have heard that you can buy your books in a bundle at Wilbert's...would you recommend this?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:05 pm

Yes, you get 10% off or some other discount this way, but I don't think you can use deferment. Lots of students did this. Wilbert's is great. On the last day of class you can sell your books back and buy beer at the same place with the money. Good times.

fischgat

New

Post by fischgat » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:07 pm

PKSebben wrote:
AJaKe wrote:
fischgat wrote:What up peeps? If it weren't for this forum, I still wouldn't know what section I'm in. Thanks!

It's Section 1.

They have a sort of bookstore in the building (greer? idk the names yet) They might do it.

Edit: BTW Section 2, I bought an extra Contracts book (Concepts and Case Analysis .. Chirelstein ...9781599410272, because I'm awesome. Make me an offer if you need it still
Ok, cool. I think I'll go there tomorrow.

It's looking like an $800 bill for just one semester's textbooks. Awesome!

fischgat

New

Post by fischgat » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:33 pm

I just called Wilbert's, and they do deferment. I'm gonna check them out tomorrow and hopefully get my bundle of textbooks.

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:34 pm

fischgat wrote:I just called Wilbert's, and they do deferment. I'm gonna check them out tomorrow and hopefully get my bundle of textbooks.
Oh neat!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:44 pm

fischgat wrote:
PKSebben wrote:
AJaKe wrote:

It's Section 1.

Ok, cool. I think I'll go there tomorrow.

It's looking like an $800 bill for just one semester's textbooks. Awesome!
+1 unfortunately.

Edit: I actually have something substantive to say.

Although I don't want this post to seem redundant, I feel that if I disseminate some information about UF policies that struck me as odd,in the sense that they expect first year students to take the initiative with little administrative guidance or announcement.

Parking: At my undergrad institution, the administration usually sent various emails/letters reminding students to register for parking and issuing the proper forms to complete. Well, UF takes a more liberal approach: on the website, you'll note a section called New Student Requirements (the part I found confusing was that this section is not an option when one clicks the "current students" link on the main page, but only available when one enters the "ILSP" link under the "New Students" section). Anyhow, the link is: --LinkRemoved--. The "Parking Information" section notes that in order to obtain a parking decal, one must visit: http://www.parking.ufl.edu/. The cost of a decal is $136.00 and it is charged to your student account, which can be accessed at http://my.ufl.edu (if you have not made your Gatorlink user name, you will not be able to access this).

Gator 1 card (student id):
Once again, I guess my undergrad was paternalistic in the sense that they posted numerous reminders and issued various emails reminding students to obtain essential materials, but, I also found the way that UF issues student ids to be odd. Instead of issuing ids at orientation (which I was under the impression that UF did), the school actually requires students to take the initiative and go to the Gator 1 office located in the Welcome Center on campus (if you do not know where this is, just type "Welcome Center" into this map: http://campusmap.ufl.edu/). The Gator 1 card costs $15 and it is helpful to have the card when you are buying books.

Financial aid/books:
The Financial Aid disbursements from UF don't process until 2 weeks after classes start (why this is, I cannot speculate); however, you can still use your financial aid to purchase your books (and you'll probably have to, they run about $800 for your first semester). It is a relatively simple process (though the Financial Aid office made it seem as if it would not be): you only have to ask the clerk at the bookstore to defer your books, you buy the books and you're done.

ISLP: For whatever reason, the "ILSP" link under the "New Students" link is not comprehensive; it merely directs you to the registration site. The more comprehensive explanation of ILSP is located under the "Schedules and Curricular Info" link once you have clicked the "ILSP" link (the rationale for featuring two separate sets of options evades me). Anyways, for easy reference, it is right here: --LinkRemoved--

I HTH anyone who was relatively confused by the hands off approach that the UF administration seems to take.

missmissy

New

Post by missmissy » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:22 pm

Good Job,mistergoft !! Although i knew all this stuff, this is only after stalking the uf website. But it might save alot of others time/trouble... Great info. :)

fischgat

New

Post by fischgat » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:24 pm

+1 unfortunately.

Although I don't want this post to seem redundant, I feel that if I disseminate some information about UF policies that struck me as odd,in the sense that they expect first year students to take the initiative with little administrative guidance or announcement.

Parking: At my undergrad institution, the administration usually sent various emails/letters reminding students to register for parking and issuing the proper forms to complete. Well, UF takes a more liberal approach: on the website, you'll note a section called New Student Requirements (the part I found confusing was that this section is not an option when one clicks the "current students" link on the main page, but only available when one enters the "ILSP" link under the "New Students" section). Anyhow, the link is: --LinkRemoved--. The "Parking Information" section notes that in order to obtain a parking decal, one must visit: http://www.parking.ufl.edu/. The cost of a decal is $136.00 and it is charged to your student account, which can be accessed at http://my.ufl.edu (if you have not made your Gatorlink user name, you will not be able to access this).

Once again, I guess my undergrad was paternalistic in the sense that they posted numerous reminders and issued various emails reminding students to obtain essential materials, but, I also found the way that UF issues student ids to be odd. Instead of issuing ids at orientation (which I was under the impression that UF did), the school actually requires students to take the initiative and go to the Gator 1 office located in the Welcome Center on campus (if you do not know where this is, just type "Welcome Center" into this map: http://campusmap.ufl.edu/). The Gator 1 card costs $15 and it is helpful to have the card when you are buying books.

Financial aid/books:
The Financial Aid disbursements from UF don't process until 2 weeks after classes start (why this is, I cannot speculate); however, you can still use your financial aid to purchase your books (and you'll probably have to, they run about $800 for your first semester). It is a relatively simple process (though the Financial Aid office made it seem as if it would not be): you only have to ask the clerk at the bookstore to defer your books, you buy the books and you're done.

ISLP: For whatever reason, the "ILSP" link under the "New Students" link is not comprehensive; it merely directs you to the registration site. The more comprehensive explanation of ILSP is located under the "Schedules and Curricular Info" link once you have clicked the "ILSP" link (the rationale for featuring two separate sets of options evades me). Anyways, for easy reference, it is right here: --LinkRemoved--

I HTH anyone who was relatively confused by the hands off approach that the UF administration seems to take.
That was a helpful post mistergoft. I feel uninformed as to what steps we 1L's should be taking right now to prepare for Aug 24.

It feels like UF is letting us 1L's figure things out on our own. I have nothing against that, but I would prefer a little more communication between UF Law and this incoming class.

I guess I should get a new Gator 1 card soon. I hate going to Reitz.

Has anyone purchased their books yet? I'm going to check out Wilbur's tomorrow and hopefully get my bundle of books and defer the payment. What else should I be doing? Are there any required readings before orientation? What are you doing to prepare for the start of classes?

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:54 pm

fischgat wrote:
+1 unfortunately.

Financial aid/books:

That was a helpful post mistergoft. I feel uninformed as to what steps we 1L's should be taking right now to prepare for Aug 24.

It feels like UF is letting us 1L's figure things out on our own. I have nothing against that, but I would prefer a little more communication between UF Law and this incoming class.

I guess I should get a new Gator 1 card soon. I hate going to Reitz.

Has anyone purchased their books yet? I'm going to check out Wilbur's tomorrow and hopefully get my bundle of books and defer the payment. What else should I be doing? Are there any required readings before orientation? What are you doing to prepare for the start of classes?
First day assignments are up here: http://www.law.ufl.edu/students/announce/1stday/

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

fischgat

New

Post by fischgat » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:28 pm

First day assignments are up here: http://www.law.ufl.edu/students/announce/1stday/
I'm in section 1, and I don't think any of those are for section 1. I hope.

fischgat

New

Post by fischgat » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:22 pm

What are your plans for parking? I'm guessing the earliest sections have the best shot at finding a space. Any thoughts on carpooling?

loro-rojo

New

Post by loro-rojo » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:33 am

Out of curiosity.. are there any skydivers in the entering class of 2012?

kathy2op

New

Post by kathy2op » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:45 am

fischgat wrote:What are your plans for parking? I'm guessing the earliest sections have the best shot at finding a space. Any thoughts on carpooling?
I don't mind carpooling. I'll be living on 39th NW, in uptown village, anyone around that area who wants to do car pool, send me PM!
By the way, is anyone else live in uptown village? I'm moving in this Thursday, and I've never been in gainesville before, so would love to meet some people!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”