Duke Law Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
aer

New

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Post by aer » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:11 pm

dmnshm wrote:Has anyone gotten any information from Duke post-deposit? I haven't yet :( (although they confirmed receipt of my deposit, so no worries there)

If so, how long did it take to get to you and what did it include?

Thanks in advance!
They received my deposit on the 31st and today I got a piece of paper with my new email address, but that is all that I have heard.

dmnshm

New

Post by dmnshm » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:42 pm

aer wrote:
dmnshm wrote:Has anyone gotten any information from Duke post-deposit? I haven't yet :( (although they confirmed receipt of my deposit, so no worries there)

Thanks in advance!
They received my deposit on the 31st and today I got a piece of paper with my new email address, but that is all that I have heard.
out of curiosity, what format do they use? i.e. John Doe = jdoe@law.duke.edu

Edit: Please don't try to send an email to poor John ;)

wahoo831

New

Post by wahoo831 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:09 am

We no longer get law.duke.edu emails because they're phasing those out; you'll just get duke.edu. You'll get an email that is your initials and a random number, but you'll also get john.doe@duke.edu as an alias.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:40 pm

aer wrote:

Thanks in advance!
Have you tried signing on to the new email? I am going to guess that is where they will start sending most of their correspondence.

aer

New

Post by aer » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:49 pm

I already had a couple of emails on the account when I logged in. They make it really easy to forward the emails to another email account which is helpful. They also make you immediately come up with a new password. There are directions on the paper that comes with the information.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

aholmes87

New

Post by aholmes87 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:12 am

Giving this a bump. I don't want it falling off the first page.

beachcomber

New

Post by beachcomber » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:16 am

wahoo831 wrote:We no longer get law.duke.edu emails because they're phasing those out; you'll just get duke.edu. You'll get an email that is your initials and a random number, but you'll also get john.doe@duke.edu as an alias.
will you have the option of using doe@duke.edu, if it's available?

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:28 pm

wahoo831 wrote:We no longer get law.duke.edu emails because they're phasing those out; you'll just get duke.edu. You'll get an email that is your initials and a random number, but you'll also get john.doe@duke.edu as an alias.
If no one has ever had your initials before, you don't have to have a random number. My brother is there for undergrad right now, and his email is just _ _ _ @duke.edu. He is thinking of paying to keep it after graduation just because of how unique he feels.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:29 pm

beachcomber wrote:
will you have the option of using doe@duke.edu, if it's available?
And I have no clue. Probably...? I have never really thought about it because there is no way my last name will be available. Way too common.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dresq

Bronze

Post by dresq » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:49 pm

aholmes87

New

Post by aholmes87 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:59 pm

Anyone who has committed to Duke should post here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 20&t=47141

Its a list of where TLS'ers are going next year.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:35 pm

He doesn't seem to be updating it anymore...

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:00 am

Hey, is/has anyone been trying to get more money out of Duke? If so, how long did it take for them to get back to you with a decision?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chadstew55

Bronze

Post by chadstew55 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:48 pm

Bosque wrote:Hey, is/has anyone been trying to get more money out of Duke? If so, how long did it take for them to get back to you with a decision?
I am trying to appeal a scholarship right now, (sent March 27th and confirmed), but they haven't gotten back to me yet. The word on the street is that they are just now starting on regular scholarship appeals after finishing up with all the initial offers and the scholarship appeals for those with close deadlines. So, hopefully I (we) will hear soon. I will probably send them an email Monday telling them about my deposit deadline on April 15th at UT because I would like to get my final scholarship offer before I turn down UT. I will definitely post here when they get back to me. Can anybody else who hears anything back about a scholarship appeal without an impending deadline post so we can get a timeline on this?

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:36 pm

I think at this point no news is good news. I think that means they want to give me more money, but have to wait to figure out how much they can.

ObviouslyMasochistic

New

Post by ObviouslyMasochistic » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:09 pm

Well, I just withdrew from all my acceptances today, so I'll be a summer starter at Duke! Woo!

sherlock

New

Post by sherlock » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:17 pm

ObviouslyMasochistic wrote:Well, I just withdrew from all my acceptances today, so I'll be a summer starter at Duke! Woo!
Right there with you. I'll see you this summer (now to figure out housing...)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Pogopop

New

Post by Pogopop » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:56 pm

I just heard from Duke that the result of my scholarship appeal will sent to me via US mail. Considering that someone on TLS wrote that they heard back via email within 6 hours, I'm thinking that this is a bad sign...

Anyone else hear anything?

chadstew55

Bronze

Post by chadstew55 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:17 pm

Pogopop wrote:I just heard from Duke that the result of my scholarship appeal will sent to me via US mail. Considering that someone on TLS wrote that they heard back via email within 6 hours, I'm thinking that this is a bad sign...

You're good. They sent me that email too, but then they sent me another email later with my scholarship info (because I have another deposit deadline on the 15th). They gave me some more!!

On another note. I'm definitely attending so you can add me to the list! I guess that I'll have to learn to forgive Bosque for going to Tech. :)

aer

New

Post by aer » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:27 pm

Pogopop wrote:I just heard from Duke that the result of my scholarship appeal will sent to me via US mail. Considering that someone on TLS wrote that they heard back via email within 6 hours, I'm thinking that this is a bad sign...

I think they only email the results if they know that you have a deadline approaching.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:15 pm

people also mentioned there was a mail merge error today so they are probably snail-mailing just so people know its the real deal.

I received my appeal result by snail-mail within 2 days of the email anyway.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

aholmes87

New

Post by aholmes87 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:17 pm

This groups getting pretty big. Good to see Duke getting a good showing from TLS this year.

How is everyone's search for housing going?

chadstew55

Bronze

Post by chadstew55 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:41 pm

aholmes87 wrote:This groups getting pretty big. Good to see Duke getting a good showing from TLS this year.

How is everyone's search for housing going?
I sent in all my stuff to get on a waitlist for a 1bedroom at pinnacle ridge.

If anybody is thinking about rooming, they told me I could switch to a 2 bedroom pretty easily, so send me a PM so we can talk about it. That would seriously cut costs, and I'm trying to live on the cheap (but still comfortably, of course, because I need my vaulted ceilings :D ).

EDIT: I'm not moving there until the fall, just to clear that up.
Last edited by chadstew55 on Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TrampsLikeU$

New

Post by TrampsLikeU$ » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:56 pm

I think I've got a 2 bedroom in Alexan Place locked in beginning in May for summer start!

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:57 am

chadstew55 wrote:

You're good. They sent me that email too, but then they sent me another email later with my scholarship info (because I have another deposit deadline on the 15th). They gave me some more!!

On another note. I'm definitely attending so you can add me to the list! I guess that I'll have to learn to forgive Bosque for going to Tech. :)
I also got this email. I certainly hope it is not a bad sign. I technically have two deadlines on the 15th, so I should probably let them know that. Although it really does not matter-I already decided that I am attending Duke over those two schools not matter what the results.

Still, it would be nice to hear sooner rather than latter.

Chad, if you can forgive me for going to Tech, I can try and forgive you for being a UT alum. I cannot promise anything around football season though. :P

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”