Duke Law Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Bosque

Gold

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Post by Bosque » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:36 pm

aholmes87 wrote:This morning I was rejected at Harvard, and really at this point in my cycle I don't think I am going to get a better offer than the one given to me by Duke. I will probably be sending my deposit in within the next few weeks.

I will also be looking for a roommate come next fall. If anyone is interested let me know.
I don't want to get your hopes up too much, but I am looking for a roommate for the fall as well. I am still waiting on a few decisions so I do not know for sure that I am going to Duke, but I thought I would throw that out there.

We will talk later. I don't want to find a roommate and then screw them over because I figure out in the eleventh hour that I am actually going to Stanford.

atlrochester

New

Post by atlrochester » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:27 pm

sent in my deposit! Also will be looking for a roomate (summer start) soon, feel free to PM to discuss

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:12 pm

I decided today that I'm in! Deposit will be sent in the next week.

aholmes87

New

Post by aholmes87 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:27 pm

Any of you guys who have sent in your deposit started looking for a place to live. Right now I'm considering Pinnacle Ridge, as it seems to be the place where all the law school students live, or Alexan Place. These two seem pretty affordable as well, especially if you get a two bedroom apartment.

I'm going to send my deposit early next week.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:30 pm

my wife and i are actually going to attempt to buy a house. there are a number of houses in the Woodcroft, Woodlake, and Ashley Forest neighborhoods of Durham to name a few that will end up having mortgage payments comparable to rent. these neighborhoods aren't directly contiguous to the school but it looks like I'm going to be driving or busing no matter where I'm coming from.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:08 pm

aholmes87 wrote:Any of you guys who have sent in your deposit started looking for a place to live. Right now I'm considering Pinnacle Ridge, as it seems to be the place where all the law school students live, or Alexan Place. These two seem pretty affordable as well, especially if you get a two bedroom apartment.

I was told not to go with Pinnacle Ridge by a current law student, and I am going to listen to that advice. I am looking at about 5 places right now. I think Alexan Place is one of them (or was it farms...).

EDIT: I just realized this was post number 1000. Think that might be a sign?
Last edited by Bosque on Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

iceboyd9

New

Post by iceboyd9 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:32 pm

also sent in my deposit and set to be a summer starter. i didn't make it to the admitted students weekend but i visited a few days later and toured the apartments they recommended. Bosque, is there a reason why someone told you to avoid pinnacle ridge?

aholmes87

New

Post by aholmes87 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:06 pm

Bosque wrote:
aholmes87 wrote:Any of you guys who have sent in your deposit started looking for a place to live. Right now I'm considering Pinnacle Ridge, as it seems to be the place where all the law school students live, or Alexan Place. These two seem pretty affordable as well, especially if you get a two bedroom apartment.

I was told not to go with Pinnacle Ridge by a current law student, and I am going to listen to that advice. I am looking at about 5 places right now. I think Alexan Place is one of them (or was it farms...).
I would also be interested in what you have heard about Pinnacle Ridge. These were just a few preliminary places. If you wouldn't mind would you also list the others you are considering. I have a little apartment book, but some of the places are definitely too expensive.

On a side note, how many people plan to live alone and how many plan to get a roommate? I know some people say that it is good to live alone the first year, but I think I would get bored alone. Plus a roommate would cut down costs. As long as I have my own bedroom I will be happy.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:45 pm

aholmes87 wrote:
Bosque wrote:

I would also be interested in what you have heard about Pinnacle Ridge. These were just a few preliminary places. If you wouldn't mind would you also list the others you are considering. I have a little apartment book, but some of the places are definitely too expensive.

I will do you one better, I will post the links to all the places I am currently looking at.

http://www.beechlakeapartments.com:80/a ... S&pid=1877
http://www.berkeleysouthpoint.com/
--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--
http://www.evergreensnc.com/ <--Don't know how much this one is, so I am not really sure if it is in the running or not.

I could very well add more to that list soon, but I have to start somewhere.

The person I talked to about Pinnacle Ridge did not like the apartments (the places where you live, not everything else on site). I think she thought they were a little run down and old, especially for the price. I don't really remember much else, but she was very persuasive when I talked to her.
aholmes87 wrote:On a side note, how many people plan to live alone and how many plan to get a roommate? I know some people say that it is good to live alone the first year, but I think I would get bored alone. Plus a roommate would cut down costs. As long as I have my own bedroom I will be happy.
If I cannot find a good roommate I guess I can live alone, but I would much rather have one. The main reason is (of course) price, but I may have my dog with me next year and it would be nice if someone else could watch him if I have to fly somewhere for an interview or something like that (more of a concern the following two years). Also, living by myself I get lonely. But I figure that is not as big a deal next year since what time I have to spend at home will probably be sleeping, eating, working, or playing with the pup.

But it really comes down to price. A two bedroom is sooooo much cheaper, and that way I don't have to furnish the whole thing myself

^^ Oh and my 1000th post is right up there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

aholmes87

New

Post by aholmes87 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:53 pm

Nice post Bosque. That is a lot of good information there. And out of curiosity what kind of dog do you have?

BarrelState

New

Post by BarrelState » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:46 am

Count me in for Duke Law '12!
My wife and I are looking to live at Colonial Village at Deerfield. It seems pretty dog-friendly and is right in Duke Forest.

ObviouslyMasochistic

New

Post by ObviouslyMasochistic » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:54 am

I just got the confirmation that my seat deposit has been received by Duke! I'm in the same boat as you though, Bosque, about Stanford. Assuming a ding from Stanford, I'll be a summer starter and will be looking for a roommate. I think I've met a few of you, but to everyone else, can't wait to meet y'all!

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:37 pm

aholmes87 wrote:Nice post Bosque. That is a lot of good information there. And out of curiosity what kind of dog do you have?
Lab mix named Fargo. My family are puppy raisers for CCI, and he was initially supposed to be a companion dog. He got rejected after we turned him in because he was too mellow (I think), so we got him back. Also, I do not think he liked clowns.

I normally go for herding dogs (My next dog is going to be a corgi, I have already decided), but I love the Fargster. Here are two pictures:

[img] Gonna try again...
Last edited by Bosque on Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

star111

New

Post by star111 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:51 pm

-
Last edited by star111 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aholmes87

New

Post by aholmes87 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:59 pm

Images aren't working, but that sounds like a nice dog. I love labs and retrievers. My past two dogs have been large golden retrievers. Both were relaxed and so friendly. After my dog passed away last year my parents completely switched gears and got a papillion. Although I love the new dog, I really miss having a big dog in the house.

As apartments go I am really liking Colonial Village at Deerfield. I have ran cross country and track for the past eight years and am not ready to give up my daily runs, so its close proximity to Duke forest is appealing. And the prices seem to be very affordable.

Bosque if you do end up deciding on Duke let me know and we can discuss living together. I definitely don't mind you having a dog or taking care of it when you are out of town.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:06 pm

Hopefully that works.

And I am with you on big dogs. The reason I want a Corgi is they act like a big dog but are medium to small in actually size, so they are a bit more manageable. I love Australian Shepherds too.

Good to hear aholmes. I will keep you in mind.

(Oh, and my Brother is at Duke for another month, so I am going to get him to check out a few of these places for me in person. I will let you know what he says.)

dresq

Bronze

Post by dresq » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:40 pm

BarrelState wrote:Count me in for Duke Law '12!
My wife and I are looking to live at Colonial Village at Deerfield. It seems pretty dog-friendly and is right in Duke Forest.
I really like that area. I may look there, too, if I end up at Duke.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BarrelState

New

Post by BarrelState » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:54 pm

We are currently on a waitlist, but they seemed pretty confident that we will get a unit. I thought once I chose a law school I would be done with waitlists, but I guess you never know . . .

sunshinesam

New

Post by sunshinesam » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:04 pm

My seat deposit is in as well!
I plan to get a single in Pinnacle Ridge. Pinnacle Ridge isn't brand new but I really like its proximity to the law school and the fact that about 90% of the people there are Duke grad students. It seemed like a really great environment when I visited, too. Everyone was really friendly... exactly what I'm looking for in neighbors.
I'm going for a single because I want to make sure I'll actually be able to work in my apartment. No TV when I'm trying to read. Stuff like that.
Can't wait to see all of you in August!

aholmes87

New

Post by aholmes87 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:15 pm

Welcome to the class sunshinesam. It looks like we are getting a good showing for next year.

And that is a nice looking dog Bosque.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:12 pm

Thanks, aholmes!

Oh, and I do not know how many people on here are summer starters looking for a place to stay for the summer, but I would check the facebook group. There are a number of 2Ls and 3Ls on there looking to find a sublet. Some seamed like good options.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FSUSpot

New

Post by FSUSpot » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:01 pm

First off congrats to all of you and your acceptance to Duke law! I will be attending UNC in fall, I am on this thread to try and find out my housing situation (thank you Bosque). Anyways I was looking at a couple of places in Carrboro and some closer to Durham. From what I understand Durham is a little cheaper in price than Chapel Hill so I might be closer to Duke than UNC. I have no stake in the rivalry yet =), I am just trying to find a good place to live so any help would be nice.

These are the apartments that I visited last week: Glen Lennox, Laurel Ridge, The Villages at Chapel Hill, and The Bridges at Chapel Hill.

I know these are closer to UNC but if anyone has information on any of them I would greatly appreciate it, and if anyone has any questions on these I will answer what I can.

aer

New

Post by aer » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:11 pm

Here are the rates from the complexes that we toured:

Evergreens at Mt. Moriah
1Bdr $750-795
2Bdr $850-925
3Bdr $1050

Addington (Alexan) Farms
1Bdr $785-860
2Bdr $925-1340
3Bdr $1150-1575

Pinnacle Ridge
1Bdr $625-825
2Bdr $835-890

I didn't keep the Colonial Village ones. The price ranges have to do with square footage and almost all are special prices for Duke students.

Bosque, Pinnacle Ridge allows one pet under 60 pounds or 2 that are less than 60 pound combined that are not aggressive. They charge a non-refundable $150 pet fee and $20 per month pet rent. Alexan Farms allows a pet under 50 pounds and charges a $300 pet fee. The Evergreens don't mention their pet policy on the flyer I have, but they do specifically mention that they have 2 dog parks, so I am assuming they are pretty pet friendly. Your dog is adorable by the way.

atlrochester

New

Post by atlrochester » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:24 pm

does anybody know how far is pinnacle ridge from campus (distance not time wise)? i'll probably have my car but i love to bust out my bike and pretend like i dont have one as often as possible

chadstew55

Bronze

Post by chadstew55 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:35 pm

atlrochester wrote:does anybody know how far is pinnacle ridge from campus (distance not time wise)? i'll probably have my car but i love to bust out my bike and pretend like i don't have one as often as possible
It's 3 miles away. I looked it up to see if I could ride my bike too. A lot of students said that you couldn't ride a bike because it wasn't bike friendly, but I think you can do it. I drove the route I would take from the apartment building to the law school when I was visiting, and it was definitely doable. If you have any experience riding a bike through traffic in a city, then you should be fine.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”