Duke Law Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
missvik218

Silver

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Post by missvik218 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:24 pm

wiseowl wrote:
buckley wrote:hey guys I am a future duke hopeful. Any advice on how you got into Duke? Did you address "why duke" in your personal statement? Thanks!
There is an option to write "Why Duke" as a separate supplemental essay. Definitely write this, and be specific! I did my homework and wrote about specific classes, professors, and clinics I was interested in.

I used my generic personal statement as the required essay and did not tailor it to Duke.
Another Duke hopeful here ... on their application they specify that you may either write a "Why Duke" essay OR a diversity statement, is this worded funny or do they really mean they only want/would accept one?! If you submitted or plan on submitting the essay, do you definitely think sending "Why Duke" is the better route?! Or should you tie "Why Duke" into your personal statement and submit a diversity statement as your optional essay?

On their websites FAQ page they state that what they're looking for in a personal statement is:
"The Personal Statement is your opportunity to introduce yourself to the admissions decision maker and should include (1) what you think have been your significant personal experiences beyond what may be reflected in your academic transcripts and on your resume, and (2) your personal and career ambitions. From your personal statement, we should be able to understand why you want to go to law school and why you have decided to apply to Duke."

... this makes me lean toward sending the diversity statement and incorporating "Why Duke" with my PS. Any admitted students care to share how they addressed this with their essays?!

frissle

New

Post by frissle » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:25 pm

New dean's lecture series course?

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:49 pm

frissle wrote:New dean's lecture series course?
yea, that was a bit of a headscratcher. oh well, doesn't sound like we have a choice.

Back2School

New

Post by Back2School » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:26 pm

missvik218 wrote:
wiseowl wrote:
buckley wrote:hey guys I am a future duke hopeful. Any advice on how you got into Duke? Did you address "why duke" in your personal statement? Thanks!
There is an option to write "Why Duke" as a separate supplemental essay. Definitely write this, and be specific! I did my homework and wrote about specific classes, professors, and clinics I was interested in.

I used my generic personal statement as the required essay and did not tailor it to Duke.
Another Duke hopeful here ... on their application they specify that you may either write a "Why Duke" essay OR a diversity statement, is this worded funny or do they really mean they only want/would accept one?! If you submitted or plan on submitting the essay, do you definitely think sending "Why Duke" is the better route?! Or should you tie "Why Duke" into your personal statement and submit a diversity statement as your optional essay?

On their websites FAQ page they state that what they're looking for in a personal statement is:
"The Personal Statement is your opportunity to introduce yourself to the admissions decision maker and should include (1) what you think have been your significant personal experiences beyond what may be reflected in your academic transcripts and on your resume, and (2) your personal and career ambitions. From your personal statement, we should be able to understand why you want to go to law school and why you have decided to apply to Duke."

... this makes me lean toward sending the diversity statement and incorporating "Why Duke" with my PS. Any admitted students care to share how they addressed this with their essays?!
I wrote a standard 2 page personal statement detailing self-discoveries I uncovered over the past 4 years in business, which has led me in a new professional direction (one which requires a law degree). The final paragraph was why Duke specifically, but I altered this paragraph for every school to which I applied. I did not submit a "Why Duke" or "Diversity Statement".

Good luck!

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:58 pm

wiseowl wrote:
yea, that was a bit of a headscratcher. oh well, doesn't sound like we have a choice.
It is pass/fail and only worth half a credit too, so it is not like it is going to be a huge extra burden.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

skiridedrive

New

Post by skiridedrive » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:42 pm

So I would be interested in joining you guys tomorrow at James Joyce at 10 as well. How would I go about finding you, any specific clothing?

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:57 pm

Bosque wrote:
wiseowl wrote:
It is pass/fail and only worth half a credit too, so it is not like it is going to be a huge extra burden.
Unsure why, but these little extra classes tend to bug me if they're BS-y, even when they're easy, so I hope hope hope this is not both required and bad.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:03 am

prezidentv8 wrote:
Bosque wrote:
wiseowl wrote:
Unsure why, but these little extra classes tend to bug me if they're BS-y, even when they're easy, so I hope hope hope this is not both required and bad.
It could end up being very interesting. My point was just that if it is not, it is not going to be a huge timesink. So no use fretting about it too much.

dresq

Bronze

Post by dresq » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:11 pm

skiridedrive wrote:So I would be interested in joining you guys tomorrow at James Joyce at 10 as well. How would I go about finding you, any specific clothing?
good question.

i'll be wearing black vans, blue jeans, and a gray t-shirt. i've got sideburns, and i'll have tattoos on each arm poking out slightly below my t-shirt.

we should probably just wait about 10 minutes or so and get together right outside of the bar before going in.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

skiridedrive

New

Post by skiridedrive » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:19 pm

I'm gonna try to make it. I have a blue duke law shirt on today and a black fox hat.

pgrigg

New

Post by pgrigg » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:35 pm

Just got into town. See you guys tonight at james joyce. 10pm right? I'm on bb so I can't see half this thread.

Simile

New

Post by Simile » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:18 am

Anyone have any clue if there will be special parking accommodations available on Monday and what are they? I just checked the Duke Law Orientation Email from July 10 again and noticed this tidbit:

"As an incoming 1L, your parking lot selection is the Green Zone. If you have questions about parking, please contact the Parking Office at (919) 684-PARK. Special parking for the first two days of LEAD Week will be arranged for you – we will be in touch soon with that information."

I haven't seen this information in any of my emails. :?

Anyway, I just moved in to Durham a couple days ago and am a bit out of the loop. May be ID-less Monday unfortunately :x

rose25

New

Post by rose25 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:42 pm

I talked to the Parking Office the other day. Park in the green zone even if you don't have your permit yet. You may get a ticket, but they will take care of it.

Anyone bringing computers to orientation this week?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fromsun2blue

New

Post by fromsun2blue » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:10 pm

Back2School wrote:
missvik218 wrote:
wiseowl wrote:

I wrote a standard 2 page personal statement detailing self-discoveries I uncovered over the past 4 years in business, which has led me in a new professional direction (one which requires a law degree). The final paragraph was why Duke specifically, but I altered this paragraph for every school to which I applied. I did not submit a "Why Duke" or "Diversity Statement".

Good luck!
Same here.. I discussed some of the reasons I took off school for 6 years before going back to get my undergrad. I mentioned Duke in the final paragraph.

Good luck! (x2)

fromsun2blue

New

Post by fromsun2blue » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:15 pm

kbtl wrote:
Bosque wrote:
frissle wrote:
I know this has been discussed before, but did we ever figure out the verdict on the Mac compatibility? I got a new MacBook in december and am wondering if I need to go out and buy windows like the email we got a few weeks ago suggests

I don't really feel like going and finding the relevant post to quote, but yes Duke is. The testing software Duke uses can be put on a Mac, and the contracts professor who uses a CD with an exe file on it aint teaching the class in the fall (I think). So you should be set.

If not, Windows 7 is in open trial beta until May or so of next year. Just grab a copy of that.

Thanks bosque, I thought I remember reading that I would be fine, but I wanted to be sure. I'll check when I get there but it looks promising.

I know we came to this conclusion as well, but I started doing computer configuration yesterday and I'm not sure that was really the right conclusion. I'm going to wait a little bit, but it seems like we need Novell Client and some other windows programs to be able to access certain information on the Duke server. I'm not entirely confident in my conclusion, but this seems like the case and the tech people have been pretty direct about needing compatibility. I would have to buy Leopard before I could install bootcamp and be at the compatibility level they want, so I'm not going to take this step yet, but I'm still not completely convinced.
You really, really, really don't. You certainly don't need Novell Client, you don't need Windows. I spent the last year at Duke with a Mac with absolutely no problems. I suppose you could buy Windows if you are not convinced, but it would be a monumental waste of money.
You can actually grab Windows7/Vista/XP all free of charge through the Duke software website. You get the .iso and just burn it to a DVD. Windows 7 is the full enterprise release... I'm using it now.. but it has some quirks on mac and isn't fully supported by parallels or bootcamp yet :(

fromsun2blue

New

Post by fromsun2blue » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:20 pm

wiseowl wrote:
Back2School wrote:So I just logged onto ACES and checked my schedule for the first time and it appears I'm in different sections for different courses. Does this sound right? Anyone else in the same boat? (Section 2 for Civ Pro and Contracts, Sec. 3 for Legal Analysis and Writing, and Sec. 1 for Property).
yea, those .01 .02 .03 numbers are just suffixes really and don't apply to your Duke Law Section. Go to the Class schedule link on the webpage and it says in italics which section you are. You are either 2,3,4 or 5.
Hmm.. I'm getting sections 1, 2 and 4 too.. (under Class Schedule) ??

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:13 pm

Anybody know what we swipe to get into the gated Green lots? I went by last week and tried both my permit and my DukeCard and neither would get the gate to open.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dresq

Bronze

Post by dresq » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:18 pm

wiseowl wrote:Anybody know what we swipe to get into the gated Green lots? I went by last week and tried both my permit and my DukeCard and neither would get the gate to open.
no idea. how did you get your duke card already? they didn't send mine, and i submitted my photo/application ages ago.

philo-sophia

Bronze

Post by philo-sophia » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:25 pm

dresq wrote:
wiseowl wrote:Anybody know what we swipe to get into the gated Green lots? I went by last week and tried both my permit and my DukeCard and neither would get the gate to open.
no idea. how did you get your duke card already? they didn't send mine, and i submitted my photo/application ages ago.
You swipe the actual permit. Maybe yours didn't activate? I'd check on that.

Your student ID card will get you into the law lot after 5 and on weekends.

dmnshm

New

Post by dmnshm » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:27 pm

philo-sophia wrote:
dresq wrote:
You swipe the actual permit. Maybe yours didn't activate? I'd check on that.

Your student ID card will get you into the law lot after 5 and on weekends.
Really? I used my DukeCard to get into the Chem lot all summer...Don't see why it would be any different for the Green Zone...

barefootmanner

New

Post by barefootmanner » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:29 pm

Could someone please post the orientation schedule for tomorrow and what we're supposed to wear/bring? I'm having problems with my webmail, so I'm unable to open any of the e-mails that they've sent out...
Thanks.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:32 pm

dresq wrote:
i didn't submit the application in time so i just went to the office on campus and did it last week.

fromsun2blue

New

Post by fromsun2blue » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:33 pm

barefootmanner wrote:Could someone please post the orientation schedule for tomorrow and what we're supposed to wear/bring? I'm having problems with my webmail, so I'm unable to open any of the e-mails that they've sent out...
Thanks.
Here's a copy of the initial email.

You can also see the schedule online at: http://www.law.duke.edu/students/orientation

Dress is Business Casual

July 10, 2009

Dear Incoming Duke Law Student:

Greetings from the Office of Student Affairs, and congratulations on your decision to attend Duke Law School! We look forward to your arrival on Monday, August 17 for orientation, “LEAD Week 2009,” and to getting to know you during the course of your education. We have an exciting line-up planned for LEAD Week, which is based on the Duke Blueprint and features nationally acclaimed speakers, dynamic alumni and professors, and other activities planned by our cadre of student LEAD Fellows and facilitators. All activities during LEAD Week are mandatory unless otherwise noted, and we promise that you will not be disappointed!

This year, LEAD Week has gone “green,” in that we are now posting all materials related to orientation on the LEAD Week website:

http://www.law.duke.edu/students/orientation

The LEAD Week website is your primary source for everything you need to know about orientation. It includes the LEAD Week schedule, pre-LEAD Week assignments, information about parking, Duke Cards, and disability accommodation requests, and a campus map. Below, we would like to highlight some information you might find most pertinent:

LEAD Week Schedule and Assignments: The LEAD Week schedule is posted online at: http://www.law.duke.edu/students/orientation. As the schedule reflects, orientation programming spans the entire week. However, time has been designated to allow you to purchase your books and explore Durham. You have two LEAD Week assignments that you should complete before your arrival. You should read the hypotheticals for the “Where Do You Draw the Line?” which are posted at http://www.law.duke.edu/students/pdf/le ... e-line.pdf for the exercise planned for the first day of orientation. In addition, you will need to read Professor Doriane Coleman’s primer on “How to Read a Case” before her session on Thursday, August 20 of LEAD Week. Look for an e-mail from us in the coming weeks containing a link to that assignment.

LEAD Groups: You will be placed in a LEAD group and assigned an upper-class LEAD Fellow during orientation. You will participate in activities with this group throughout LEAD Week, and your LEAD Fellow will continue to act as an advisor and plan social programming for your group throughout your first year. To read about the interesting backgrounds of your 25 LEAD Fellows, see http://www.law.duke.edu/students/lead/bios.

Computers: We strongly recommend that you own a laptop computer that satisfies Duke Law School’s technical specifications-namely, a computer that runs an appropriate version of Windows and has a DVD player. Equally important, students who wish to take their exams on computers must use exam software that operates only on Windows-based PCs-either a native Windows PC or a MacBook with Leopard and Windows installed through BootCamp. Students without such computers will be required to handwrite their exams. For more information about our specifications and pre-LEAD Week online laptop configuration, please see the memo from Assistant Dean for Academic Technologies Wayne Miller, at http://www.law.duke.edu/students/pdf/lead/actech.pdf, which addresses all pre-arrival computer questions.

DukeCard: This card is your primary form of campus identification and will provide access to University facilities and function as a debit card for on-campus purchases and off-campus food delivery. Please complete the Duke Card form, which can be found at http://www.law.duke.edu/students/pdf/lead/duke-card.pdf, and submit the required passport photograph to the DukeCard office before August 1; cards will be delivered to the Law School and available on Monday, August 17. Please be advised that this photograph will be used for Duke Law School’s online student directory.

Health Insurance: All Duke students are required to have medical insurance, either through the Duke-sponsored plan or a comparable U.S. medical insurance plan. For more information, please visit: http://healthydevil.studentaffairs.duke.edu/insurance/.

Tuition Refund Insurance: Duke Law School offers an elective tuition refund plan through A.W.G. Dewar, Inc. If you enroll in the plan, you will be covered for tuition losses due to illness or injury (documented by a physician) that results in your withdrawal from law school. Without tuition insurance, if you are forced to withdraw from law school due to illness or injury after the sixth week of the semester you would receive zero refund of the tuition you paid for that term, even if you plan to reenroll at a later date. (Students who withdraw prior to the sixth week may be eligible for partial refunds of tuition.) This plan offers 100% refund of tuition, except for withdrawal due to a psychological condition which is refunded at a 60% rate. The cost for the insurance is $100 per semester. Since the cost of tuition is substantial - and because it is impossible to predict an unexpected illness or injury - we strongly encourage you to consider protecting your investment by purchasing this insurance. Please note that you must purchase the insurance for the fall semester before August 24, 2009. For detailed information on coverage and enrollment instructions, please visit the Dewar Tuition Refund Plan website at http://www.collegerefund.com.

Mentors: You soon will receive an e-mail from the Duke Bar Association with a link to a web form that will allow the DBA to match you with an upper-class mentor. We encourage you to participate in this worthwhile program and are confident your mentor will make your transition to Duke Law School a smooth one.

Attire for Orientation: Attire is generally casual, except for Monday’s daytime programming which is business casual. On Tuesday, be prepared to roll up your sleeves as you get out into the Durham community and participate in various community service projects as part of “Dedicated to Durham.”

Fall Courses: This fall you will be assigned to one of several “small sections” and will take three of the six required first-year courses, plus Legal Analysis, Research and Writing (LARW). You will have two LARW classes during LEAD Week, but your other classes begin on Monday, August 24. You can find your schedule on ACES in early August; booklists will be available at http://www.law.duke.edu/curriculum/booklist.

Parking: Parking passes should be purchased online no later than July 31. If you purchase your permit before this date, it will be mailed to you before your arrival on campus. In order to purchase your permit, please visit the following website:

--LinkRemoved--

As an incoming 1L, your parking lot selection is the Green Zone. If you have questions about parking, please contact the Parking Office at (919) 684-PARK. Special parking for the first two days of LEAD Week will be arranged for you – we will be in touch soon with that information.

Be prepared for an action-packed LEAD Week! We look forward to introducing you to the Duke Law School community, and wish you a safe journey to Durham.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:36 pm

barefootmanner wrote:Could someone please post the orientation schedule for tomorrow and what we're supposed to wear/bring? I'm having problems with my webmail, so I'm unable to open any of the e-mails that they've sent out...
Thanks.
Here you go. Dress tomorrow is business casual (and ugh, it's going to be 94)

Monday August 17: EMBODY integrity, PRACTICE professionalism
•Registration & Breakfast
8:00 - 9:00 a.m.
3rd Floor Loggia
Meet your LEAD Fellows and new classmates over coffee and pastries.
NOTE: it was noted in an email last week that you MUST arrive by 9 AM, no exceptions. They actually said in the email that if you did not report your spot may be given to someone on the waitlist. Set an alarm tonight!

•Dean's Welcome
9:00 - 9:30 a.m.
Star Commons
Dean David Levi and Associate Dean for Admissions and Financial Aid Bill Hoye offer their greetings as the official start to LEAD Week.

•Lawyers as Leaders Lecture
9:30 - 10:30 a.m.
Star Commons
Attorney Ben Heineman, Jr. and Dean Levi discuss law and leadership, particularly how to maintain stellar performance in the practice of law without compromising integrity. Mr. Heineman is senior counsel at WilmerHale and former Senior Vice President-General Counsel for General Electric. Please download the three required readings:
Reading 1, http://www.law.duke.edu/students/pdf/le ... rticle.pdf
Reading 2, http://www.law.duke.edu/students/pdf/le ... _Final.pdf
Reading 3, http://www.law.duke.edu/students/pdf/le ... Lawyer.pdf

•Where Do You Draw The Line?
10:30 - 12 p.m.
Locations throughout law school (see orientation packet)
We challenge you to explore the ethical dilemmas you may face while studying and practicing law. Faculty and alumni lead intriguing small group discussions.
Assignment: http://www.law.duke.edu/students/pdf/le ... e-line.pdf

•Professionalism Alumni Luncheon
12:15 - 2:15 p.m.
Washington Duke Inn & Golf Club, President’s Ballroom
Dine with members of the Law School community and local alumni, including featured speaker Board of Visitors Chair David Ichel ’75.

•Transfer Student Orientation
12:30 - 3:00 p.m.
Room 4055
This orientation is for second-year students who are transferring in from another institution.

•Duke Blueprint and Honor Code
2:30 or 3:30 p.m.*
Room 3041/3043
Assistant Dean for Student Affairs Jason Belk T'99 introduces the Law School community’s expectations and opportunities for professional and personal development.

•Free Time
2:15 or 3:15 p.m.
Take this time to go buy your books, pick up your parking permit or get your Duke Card if you have not already done so.

•LEAD Fellow Reception
5:00 p.m.
Star Commons
Gather with your classmates and LEAD Fellows for a casual reception to mark the end of the first day of orientation.

barefootmanner

New

Post by barefootmanner » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:38 pm

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”