McGeorge 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
WhiteFeather

New

McGeorge 2012

Post by WhiteFeather » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:43 pm

Okay, I didn't see a thread with this title, so I guess I'll start it. If I missed it, flame on.

I was accepted at, among others, McGeorge and Pepperdine. I've never been in Malibu OR Sacramento. In any case, I didn't get any $$$ from Pepperdine, while McGeorge (University of the Pacific) has treated me very well financially. The cost of living would be less in Sacramento, I'm sure.

McGeorge has treated well - however, Pepperdine *IS* in Malibu.

Thoughts?

Teapot

New

Re: McGeorge 2012

Post by Teapot » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:44 pm

sacramento is pretty nice too.

rvill7

New

Post by rvill7 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:46 pm

Ken Starr? hehe

WhiteFeather

New

Post by WhiteFeather » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:55 pm

Disclaimer: There is a "University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law" thread going, but it's 45 pages long and started in 2006.

So this is a new thing for those starting Fall 09.
-----------------------------------------------------------

I am concerned about the Sacramento area because I've read that there are innumerable "ghetto" areas and they are closely intertwined with the "good" neighborhoods.

I'm not real sure how worried I am, though. I grew in in Indianapolis and Chicago, and lived a good portion of my life in Tucson. To me, Tucson sounds the most like the way I've envisioned Sacramento, neighborhood-wise. Does that sound about right?

In any case, I've noticed that Pepperdine ranks more highly in US News than McGeorge. Does that matter as much as the name recogntion? I believe Pepperdine has greater name recognition, but I could be wrong. Come to think of it, does it matter?

raimorris

New

Post by raimorris » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:54 am

It is true that Pepperdine ranks higher, but there are more than 4 law schools in the LA area. So you will have more competition when looking for a job. Also, the cost of living in LA is much higher than Sacramento's. McGeorge places very well in Sacramento, and since Sacramento is the capital, it does have a good legal market. The only other school you will compete with is UC Davis, but according to the Cal Bar only 15% of UC Davis grads stay in Sacramento. So, if you see yourself living in Sacramento for 10 years then you should definitely go to McGeorge.

I have been to Sacramento a couple times, and I will be there again tomorrow to go to McGeorge's Legal Scholar day. My family currently lives there and they love the area. Like most places, Sacramento has its good and bad neighborhoods. I know the law school is located in a "shady area", but I also know that the area has been improving and it will continue to improve. You don't have to live in the area of the law school. I am looking for places in the "pocket area" zip code 95831, because I have heard that it’s a really nice neighborhood, close to the Sac River, alot of jogging trails, shopping centers, etc. There is also alot of gated apartments in that area starting of around 800 for a 1 bedroom.

I hope this helps! And you should definitely visit Sacramento before you make your decision. If you have been accepted to McGeorge they will reimburse for your airline tickets if you attend the legal scholars day.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chiajuiteng

New

Post by chiajuiteng » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:35 am

Please help me out, McGeorge fellows.
I just got accepted by McGeorge and 10,000+books/yr was offered. But the deadline is 4/1 or I'll lose my scholarship. However, I'm still waiting on Santa Clara, UC Davis and Loyola, which I heard have better job prospects than McGeorge. Any suggestion???

The number 1 thing to consider is big-mid law opportunities. I'll be seriouly in debt after graduation so I do need a good job. How's McGeorge's job prospect? Any big law chances in Sacramento or bay area???

Thank you guys

bobothecat

New

Post by bobothecat » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:40 am

chiajuiteng wrote:Please help me out, McGeorge fellows.
I just got accepted by McGeorge and 10,000+books/yr was offered. But the deadline is 4/1 or I'll lose my scholarship. However, I'm still waiting on Santa Clara, UC Davis and Loyola, which I heard have better job prospects than McGeorge. Any suggestion???

The number 1 thing to consider is big-mid law opportunities. I'll be seriouly in debt after graduation so I do need a good job. How's McGeorge's job prospect? Any big law chances in Sacramento or bay area???

Thank you guys
multiple seat deposits if you can afford it. Hopefully the others will get back to you before then...

chiajuiteng

New

Post by chiajuiteng » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:54 am

bobothecat wrote:
chiajuiteng wrote:Please help me out, McGeorge fellows.

Thank you guys
multiple seat deposits if you can afford it. Hopefully the others will get back to you before then...
Yes, I'll send them my deposit. But the problem is that the scholarship is binding. If I dont take the scholarship (means I have to go there) by 4/1, then I'll lose the money. It is very hard to make a choice at this point....

mnkittel

New

Post by mnkittel » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:00 pm

Yes, there are some ghetto areas of Sacramento. There's ghetto areas in pretty much any large city and especially capital cities, and frequently in any town that has a university or large college. Ghettos go along with growing population and semi-affordable cost of living.

Basically, you just need to spend some time finding a decent area to live. Apartments in Sacramento and the surrounding areas are not hard to find, and you can find affordable places in decent areas. Just use some common sense. Avoid the bad parts of town, especially at night, don't go out alone, etc. Like any other city.

(And for what it's worth, the ghetto areas of Sacramento aren't as bad as those in other big cities in the same region, like Stockton or Oakland or even San Francisco. You just need to spend some time getting to know your location.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

seatown12

Silver

Post by seatown12 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:48 pm

chiajuiteng wrote:I just got accepted by McGeorge and 10,000+books/yr was offered. But the deadline is 4/1 or I'll lose my scholarship. However, I'm still waiting on Santa Clara, UC Davis and Loyola, which I heard have better job prospects than McGeorge. Any suggestion???
The number 1 thing to consider is big-mid law opportunities.
Santa Clara and Loyola have only marginally better job prospects than McGeorge, so I wouldn't worry too much about them. Davis, on the other hand, will give you a significantly better shot at the type of position you are looking for. Also, assuming you are a CA resident, tuition at Davis is $28.5k/year while at McGeorge it is $36.5, so even with the scholarship you aren't saving much. Basically if you think you have a good shot at being accepted to Davis I would go for that. If Davis is more of a reach I think taking the money at McGeorge makes a lot of sense.

aquitaine

New

Post by aquitaine » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:52 pm

chiajuiteng are you sure you have to guarantee you will attend by April 1st, and just don't have to put down the deposit in order to keep your scholarship. I went and looked at my info and there was nothing that said I had to attend to keep my scholarship, I just needed to send in 1st deposit of 100 dollars by April 1st

WhiteFeather

New

Post by WhiteFeather » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:56 pm

My scholarship ALSO said I had to accept by the first. It DOES appear to be a binding acceptance!

I emailed them Friday telling them the truth... which is that I won't have even seen the campus by then (I'm going to the Legal Scholar Days on April 24th). I asked them to extend the deadline.

They hadn't answered by the end of the day Friday, so I'll definitely post here again when they do. PLEASE post any updates you get on this!

dancingnomious

New

Post by dancingnomious » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:15 pm

Does anyone know when orientation/class starts at McGeorge for coming fall 2009? Couldnt find anything off the school's website.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

homebrewer

New

Post by homebrewer » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:04 pm

Is anyone going to their "Law Day" on April 18th?

snaps

New

Post by snaps » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:08 pm

they granted me an extension on the seat deposit deadline. if they haven't gotten back to you, maybe they're out of the office or something. they're very flexible and friendly, so i'm sure you'll be fine. good luck!

edit: registration is august 11-12, and orientation classes begin on august 13th. it was included on the piece of paper they sent in the acceptance folder.

Tehpokerstar

New

Post by Tehpokerstar » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:32 pm

ill be going to law day on the 18th. I'm not sure what to expect. I visited campus last week and loved it!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:59 pm

Hey guys, I was granted an extension as well so it is possible. Does anyone know if the "top 33.33%" requirement is negotiable? That is the biggest thing worrying me right now about this school. I've been offered the same scholly at a tier 3 in an area I would like to live in where tuition is 10,000 cheaper AND it is a top half requirement instead of a top 1/3. Not to mention, the entry stats are much lower for the tier 3 so I can pretty much bank on the top 1/2 IMO. I don't think that McGeorge is that much better than a local tier 3 and it is very regional so I have a lot of thinking to do. McGeorge is more convenient as I'm living in the area and have a free place to stay so I can chop off some of the money I'd save at the tier 3. Hmmmm......decisions, decisions...........McGeorge has the nicest staff by far of all the schools I've heard from, they are very accomodating, and they really make you feel special. Corny maybe, but it still matters.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Tehpokerstar

New

Post by Tehpokerstar » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:19 pm

Why don't you negotiate the terms? I mean, I'm sure if you really want to be there, they will work something out with you!

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:44 am

dancingnomious wrote:Does anyone know when orientation/class starts at McGeorge for coming fall 2009? Couldnt find anything off the school's website.
--LinkRemoved--

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:53 am

Tehpokerstar wrote:Why don't you negotiate the terms? I mean, I'm sure if you really want to be there, they will work something out with you!

I've heard (I think) that this is non-negotiable......anyone know about this?

annapavlova

Bronze

Post by annapavlova » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:57 am

A'nold wrote:
Tehpokerstar wrote:Why don't you negotiate the terms? I mean, I'm sure if you really want to be there, they will work something out with you!

I've heard (I think) that this is non-negotiable......anyone know about this?
While the amount may be negotiable if they like you enough, the terms really aren't. HOWEVER, you could just force yourself to perform really well so you don't lose your scholarship.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Tehpokerstar

New

Post by Tehpokerstar » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:51 pm

If you think its not negotiable then don't even bother asking. ;) Law schools are just like any other business, just disguised under the illusion of non-profit. I wouldn't shy away from asking. The worst that can happen is they say no. And then you can ask again! =)

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:34 pm

Whenever I hear McGeorge, I get a mental image of Ronald McDonald as the king of England.

snaps

New

Post by snaps » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:42 pm

Bosque wrote:Whenever I hear McGeorge, I get a mental image of Ronald McDonald as the king of England.
which is funny, because you should be thinking about beautiful trees...

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:46 pm

snaps wrote:
Bosque wrote:Whenever I hear McGeorge, I get a mental image of Ronald McDonald as the king of England.
which is funny, because you should be thinking about beautiful trees...
Probably. I just cannot help it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”