St. John's Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Zeph

Bronze

Re: St. John's Class of 2012

Post by Zeph » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:37 am

DURS wrote:
bex wrote:
I'm also in section B. Haven't had a chance to look up the profs. Bad ratings?
One of them had some pretty bad reviews. The others seem to be good though.

Yeah its pretty much a mixed bag....I'm looking forward to meeting you guys/gals =)

Dark Prince

New

Post by Dark Prince » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:35 am

Looks like I'm the only one in Section A so far. My professors are also a mixed bag. Great reviews for intro to law and civil procedure and the rest are mediocre or horrid.

Anyone else from Section A?

Zeph

Bronze

Post by Zeph » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:23 pm

Couple of Q's for you people:

1) What do you guys think of only one semester of torts? (they recently changed it and now its only one semester). Do you feel we are at a disadvantage to other schools who get to spread the material out and maybe cover more? Also if we happen to get good enough grades to transfer, do you think that will hurt us? I think they did the same for property... Contracts is still two semesters.

2) Are any of you going to keep some sort of job/money maker during your first year?

DURS

New

Post by DURS » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:42 pm

Zeph wrote:Couple of Q's for you people:

1) What do you guys think of only one semester of torts? (they recently changed it and now its only one semester). Do you feel we are at a disadvantage to other schools who get to spread the material out and maybe cover more? Also if we happen to get good enough grades to transfer, do you think that will hurt us? I think they did the same for property... Contracts is still two semesters.

2) Are any of you going to keep some sort of job/money maker during your first year?
1. I think having torts and property for 1 semester each is actually a good thing. From what I've read, taking a class for the entire year is pretty miserable. If you have good enough grades to transfer I doubt any school will not let you in because of this.

2. I am going to attempt to keep my job as a waiter for the first year. It is really important to me to keep my loans to a minimum. I did tell my employer that I might have to take a leave of absence if I didn't have enough time to get my work done. Basically, I'm taking the first week of school off, then working 1-2 shifts a week.

dreday3223

New

Post by dreday3223 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:57 pm

What professors do you have for next semester. I just completed my first year at STJ and maybe I can be of some assistance. It wasnt the best semester for me but I can at least give yall advice on the professors (if I had any of them).

As for my first year. I dont think my comments on the school would be very helpful to you all. Nothing against the school it is just that I was a part time evening student and you all are full time day so the experience is different. But if you all have any questions, please let me know and I will try to be as helpful as I can.

Good luck and congrats.

P.S. - I figured I would post to this forum being I am in the Class of 2012 as a part time student

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bex

New

Post by bex » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:59 pm

dreday3223 wrote:What professors do you have for next semester. I just completed my first year at STJ and maybe I can be of some assistance. It wasnt the best semester for me but I can at least give yall advice on the professors (if I had any of them).

As for my first year. I dont think my comments on the school would be very helpful to you all. Nothing against the school it is just that I was a part time evening student and you all are full time day so the experience is different. But if you all have any questions, please let me know and I will try to be as helpful as I can.

Good luck and congrats.

P.S. - I figured I would post to this forum being I am in the Class of 2012 as a part time student
Do you know what parking is like on campus? Is there a separate lot for the law students, and do you have to get there really early to get a spot? Just wondering what you may know on the subject, since you're already a student. I went to Queens College for undergrad and parking was a nightmare...I hope it's not like that...

DURS

New

Post by DURS » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:24 am

bex wrote: Do you know what parking is like on campus? Is there a separate lot for the law students, and do you have to get there really early to get a spot? Just wondering what you may know on the subject, since you're already a student. I went to Queens College for undergrad and parking was a nightmare...I hope it's not like that...
I'm interested in this as well.

Dark Prince

New

Post by Dark Prince » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:38 pm

I looked at my schedule and saw that the first class (Intro to Law) starts on the week of August 24. However, on the academic calendar it says that classes for incoming full time students start on August 17. Do you guys know what will be going on during the week of the 17th? Orientation?

DURS

New

Post by DURS » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:04 am

Dark Prince wrote:I looked at my schedule and saw that the first class (Intro to Law) starts on the week of August 24. However, on the academic calendar it says that classes for incoming full time students start on August 17. Do you guys know what will be going on during the week of the 17th? Orientation?
My schedule shows that Intro to Law begins on August 20th.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dark Prince

New

Post by Dark Prince » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:57 pm

I emailed admissions today and they said that all incoming students start on the week of August 17. Orientation and classes.

sbalterman

New

Post by sbalterman » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:10 pm

Am I reading this right? Every class has a C at the end, leading me to believe I am in section C--Thought there was only A&B- Anyone have any ideas?

DURS

New

Post by DURS » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:45 pm

sbalterman wrote:Am I reading this right? Every class has a C at the end, leading me to believe I am in section C--Thought there was only A&B- Anyone have any ideas?
People in the facebook group are in section C, so I guess it exists.

Dark Prince

New

Post by Dark Prince » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:08 am

I am organizing a meetup for our class. It's going to be on Tuesday August 11 @ 6pm. The bar is called Wicked Willy's: 149 Bleecker Street (between Thompson Street and Laguardia Place). The F and 6 trains go there.

Let me know if you can attend, it will be a great opportunity to meet your future classmates and colleagues. :-)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Zeph

Bronze

Post by Zeph » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:00 am

Dark Prince wrote:I am organizing a meetup for our class. It's going to be on Tuesday August 11 @ 6pm. The bar is called Wicked Willy's: 149 Bleecker Street (between Thompson Street and Laguardia Place). The F and 6 trains go there.

Let me know if you can attend, it will be a great opportunity to meet your future classmates and colleagues. :-)
This sounds pretty awesome, but I have a test on the 13th and prob will be doing some last minute studying >_<

bex

New

Post by bex » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:46 pm

I got my orientation packet in the mail, with the Westlaw password to log onto TWEN for the reading assignments, etc.

I can't believe it's only a few weeks away...

DURS

New

Post by DURS » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:53 am

bex wrote:I got my orientation packet in the mail, with the Westlaw password to log onto TWEN for the reading assignments, etc.

I got this too. When I added the orientation to my classes it seemed to have a lot of the 2008 information instead of the 2009 information. Is anyone else having the same problem?

Monaco

New

Post by Monaco » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:54 am

DURS wrote:
bex wrote:I got my orientation packet in the mail, with the Westlaw password to log onto TWEN for the reading assignments, etc.

I got this too. When I added the orientation to my classes it seemed to have a lot of the 2008 information instead of the 2009 information. Is anyone else having the same problem?

Had same problem even the class section lists were from 2008....also where is this orientation ticket that we have to bring (couldnt find it). Also did anyone randomly reserve a space for an orientation cruise? I did but there was no other information about it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bex

New

Post by bex » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:23 pm

Monaco wrote:
DURS wrote:

Had same problem even the class section lists were from 2008....also where is this orientation ticket that we have to bring (couldnt find it). Also did anyone randomly reserve a space for an orientation cruise? I did but there was no other information about it.
Yeah, I saw the class section list was from 2008, but what else? The Intro to Law memo looks like it's for this semester, and so did the schedules and assignments. I didn't see anything for an orientation ticket, either. And I have no clue what the cruise is, but I didn't reserve a space.

Zeph

Bronze

Post by Zeph » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:52 pm

bex wrote:
Monaco wrote:
DURS wrote:

Yeah, I saw the class section list was from 2008, but what else? The Intro to Law memo looks like it's for this semester, and so did the schedules and assignments. I didn't see anything for an orientation ticket, either. And I have no clue what the cruise is, but I didn't reserve a space.

I just registered for westlaw and this stuff is confusing. So I added the orientation course, but what is expected of us our first day or our intro to law class and the other required courses? I guess what ever is listed is due the first day? Am I the only one confused? =)

Dark Prince

New

Post by Dark Prince » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:52 pm

I'm sure they'll add more info as time goes by we still have almost 3 weeks. I registered for the cruise just in case and I'm sure the sections and orientation ticket will be up soon.

jewtangclan03

New

Post by jewtangclan03 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:54 pm

cruise? what cruise?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Zeph

Bronze

Post by Zeph » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:01 pm

jewtangclan03 wrote:cruise? what cruise?
Ditto, didnt see anything mentioning that.
Dark Prince wrote:I'm sure they'll add more info as time goes by we still have almost 3 weeks. I registered for the cruise just in case and I'm sure the sections and orientation ticket will be up soon.
As for info, three weeks can go by fast especially if we should be doing assignments =/

DURS

New

Post by DURS » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:20 pm

Zeph wrote:
Dark Prince wrote:I'm sure they'll add more info as time goes by we still have almost 3 weeks. I registered for the cruise just in case and I'm sure the sections and orientation ticket will be up soon.
As for info, three weeks can go by fast especially if we should be doing assignments =/
Agreed. It looks like those of us in Section B have the most to read. :shock:

bex

New

Post by bex » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:44 pm

DURS wrote:
Zeph wrote:
When you're signed into TWEN, if you navigate through the various Orientation documents, the last one says "Sign-up Sheets." If you click it, it says "Orientation Cruise Sign-up Sheet" and allows you to reserve a space, but there's no other info. I haven't heard anything else about it.

On the Introduction to Law Memo it says:

"As you may already know, the Law School is assigning all students for Orientation the book Asylum Denied: A Refugee’s Struggle for Safety in America by David Ngaruri Kenney and Philip G. Schrag."

Am I missing something? When did this happen? In terms of the other assignments, The end of the Intro to Law memo has assignments for 8/18, and I guess we'll get our other assignments during that first class. The Book List and First Assignment memo says what we need for the regular classes, but I guess we have until August 31 to do them. It looks like a lot of reading, and I'm still working for another week! :shock:

Zeph

Bronze

Post by Zeph » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:28 pm

bex wrote:
DURS wrote:
Zeph wrote:
When you're signed into TWEN, if you navigate through the various Orientation documents, the last one says "Sign-up Sheets." If you click it, it says "Orientation Cruise Sign-up Sheet" and allows you to reserve a space, but there's no other info. I haven't heard anything else about it.

On the Introduction to Law Memo it says:

"As you may already know, the Law School is assigning all students for Orientation the book Asylum Denied: A Refugee’s Struggle for Safety in America by David Ngaruri Kenney and Philip G. Schrag."

Am I missing something? When did this happen? In terms of the other assignments, The end of the Intro to Law memo has assignments for 8/18, and I guess we'll get our other assignments during that first class. The Book List and First Assignment memo says what we need for the regular classes, but I guess we have until August 31 to do them. It looks like a lot of reading, and I'm still working for another week! :shock:
Yeah so im assuming the main courses do not need to be done till the 31st. Am I wrong?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”