Washington & Lee Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
DontKnowMe

New

Re: Washington & Lee Class of 2012

Post by DontKnowMe » Mon May 25, 2009 6:30 pm

presh wrote: 3) Can anyone with service from AT&T tell me if service is good in Lexington (and VA in general)? I can't seem to find anything helpful online. My contract is up, and I'm trying to decide whether to take the upgrade and go two more years or jump ship for another carrier.
AT&T works just fine in town. In more remote parts out in the country, any service can be a crapshoot.

presh

Platinum

Post by presh » Mon May 25, 2009 11:05 pm

Last edited by presh on Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

JR00576

New

Post by JR00576 » Tue May 26, 2009 4:38 pm

Hey Guys. I am going to Washington and Lee Law next year and will be living on campus. Since I don't have a car, I was wondering what I should do about dining. Does the meal plan sound like an option and which one do you think is most appropriate for someone who doesn't want to leave campus to food shop a lot. Also, are there grocery stores within walking distance from campus that I can buy food at? Thanks for your hep!

DontKnowMe

New

Post by DontKnowMe » Wed May 27, 2009 11:04 am

JR00576 wrote:Hey Guys. I am going to Washington and Lee Law next year and will be living on campus. Since I don't have a car, I was wondering what I should do about dining. Does the meal plan sound like an option and which one do you think is most appropriate for someone who doesn't want to leave campus to food shop a lot. Also, are there grocery stores within walking distance from campus that I can buy food at? Thanks for your hep!
I don't know about the meal plan but I can tell you that the nearest grocery store (Kroger) is a good 20 minute walk each way. However, at least one if not all of your suitemates will have a car and unless they're completely rude they'll probably be willing to take you when they go grocery shopping.

buslaw4302

New

Post by buslaw4302 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:17 pm

Just got an email today, looks like W&L for me! Is there really no fb group for the fall class yet? Is anyone else still looking around for room mates?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

emoticons777

Bronze

Post by emoticons777 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:26 pm

buslaw4302 wrote:Just got an email today, looks like W&L for me! Is there really no fb group for the fall class yet? Is anyone else still looking around for room mates?
There are actually two groups, I'd link you but I'm at work . . . (one is official, one is open)
I'm assuming there are still plenty of people looking for housing.

gregw8705

New

Post by gregw8705 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:14 pm

For those of you who have already secured an apartment or other rental for the year, how did you do it? Did you have the best luck with realtors or newspaper ads? Thanks for the help.

djis

New

Post by djis » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:29 pm

Hey everyone! I've got a house in Lexington and I'm looking for a few other 1Ls to live with me (I believe I already have one spot filled, pending the lease). The house is very spacious and is located about 3 blocks south of campus and a very short walk from downtown. If anyone is interested, send me a message or e-mail me at disaacssmith@yahoo.com. I've got plenty of pictures and information that I'd be glad to send to anyone who might still be looking for housing for next year.

Danny Isaacs-Smith
Fellow Incoming 1L

emoticons777

Bronze

Post by emoticons777 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:27 pm

So I was looking at the calendar online, and orientation starts on the 14th . . . a Friday. Does this seem odd to anyone else? It is completely ruining my plans :(

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

House Trained

New

Post by House Trained » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:35 pm

emoticons777 wrote:So I was looking at the calendar online, and orientation starts on the 14th . . . a Friday. Does this seem odd to anyone else? It is completely ruining my plans :(
It would make perfect sense to do it on Friday if classes started on Monday for a full 1st week.

But classes start the next Thursday.

Makes no sense, but whatever. I'm just glad it's pushed back to the latter part of the month so I'll have 2-3 weeks after moving in Aug. 1st to get unpacked, buy some additional furniture, get to know my way around the town and county, etc.

emoticons777

Bronze

Post by emoticons777 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:57 pm

I have some housing questions, if anyone would be so kind as to answer:
-It appears the only real way to find somewhere to live is to go through a realtor, correct? (I will be unable to go to Lexington until the time I would need to move in)
-Anyone had any luck with the classified ads?
-How does working with a realtor work, how are they paid/what does it cost?
-Suggestions for a realtor?

Thank you

djis

New

Post by djis » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:42 am

I used Cheryl Shaw with J.F. Brown Real Estate to purchase my home in Lexington and I would definitely recommend her. She was completely attentive throughout the entire process and really knows a lot about the town and the people. She put me in contact with a mortgage broker, insurance, contractors for various renovations - all of whom were top notch as well. Not sure if she handles rentals and how much it would cost, but she is fantastic.

gregw8705

New

Post by gregw8705 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:35 pm

I went through classifieds, realtors, and law school notices they distribute via e-mail to setup a weekend of visits. The realtors do not charge you for any help they give in searching for an apartment. You may need to pay 20 dollars for a credit check or something of the sort to establish how much deposit money you will owe, etc. The classifieds work very well, and is actually how I got my apartment. I like having direct contact with the landlord as we've worked out some specific arrangements for my specific circumstances that a property manager or realtor may not be willing or able to do. If you go through Emily Reel with James William Moore Realty, I can virtually gaurantee a good property. I saw all of her 1 bedrooms, and they were all clean, livable, comfortable, etc. Colonna and Associates was also great to work with and had good properties. Lexington Company's properties were much older and very hit or miss, so I'd suggest the first two options (James William Moore Real Estate and Colonna & Associates).

For classifieds, just check out any that appeal to you. If they want your money, they'll provide pictures and answer questions. Most folks are very friendly and pleasant.

If you have any questions or identify a property and would be interested in having someone check it out on your behalf, I'm sure some of us more local folks could help out (my hometown is only a 2-hour drive from Lexington and I'll be there virtually every weekend between now and orientation). On-campus housing may be of interest to you, as you can be relativel sure you won't be getting a run down, dirty, musty, or otherwise undesirable place.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

underwhere759

New

Post by underwhere759 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:30 pm

I also used Emily Reel with James Wm Moore Realty.

I found that the places she showed us were much nicer than the ones I found just by driving around looking for, for rent signs in yards, or through the classifieds.

She was really nice, and definitely honest about the homes we looked at.
We have a 2 bed room 2 bath bottom floor of a house, that house at least 1 remaining 1 bed room apt, remaining above.

Shes definitely someone to check with.

Anyone else bringing a significant other/spouse along who's having trouble finding a job.
My husband to be has applied for several and interviewed for one. But so far no luck.
He's not to thrilled with the idea of driving the whole way to Roanoke every day. But who knows.

gregw8705

New

Post by gregw8705 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:13 pm

That's funny you mention that apartment because I looked at that upstairs apartment when I was in town a few weekends ago.

underwhere759

New

Post by underwhere759 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:06 pm

haha that is pretty funny. Ive been passing the word around that its still available because I wanted to make sure that another 1L ended up there.

Just thought it would be more socially interesting.

gregw8705

New

Post by gregw8705 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:27 pm

Haha, I almost rented it, but the next place I saw (from a classified) was a complete steal. I had to take that one. It was the most space and best location for the money.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

underwhere759

New

Post by underwhere759 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:09 pm

Just saw on the facebook group that B. Twitty says Nice Casual dress encouraged for orientation.

Maybe I am just a little slow, but that doesn't really help me much....

Does this mean jeans, a nice top and nice shoes or something more. ?

Dont want to be the worst dressed on teh first day of class.....

gregw8705

New

Post by gregw8705 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:32 pm

I think the point is to look presentable. Don't come dressed like the guy below.

--ImageRemoved--

Seriously, it should be no big deal and probably like what you usually wear...unless you usually wear metallica t-shirts or grunge attire all the time.

underwhere759

New

Post by underwhere759 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:36 pm

haha no.

I think its just the way I am directing my anxiety, worrying about what to wear.
No one wants to make a bad first impression and be " that girl/guy who was the only one wearing jeans"

Nice casual is just ambiguous in my opinion.

emoticons777

Bronze

Post by emoticons777 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:04 pm

underwhere759 wrote:
Nice casual is just ambiguous in my opinion.
Seriously, I hadn't even given much (any) thought about what to wear-it kind of threw me for a loop. I was grateful for the info re Facebook photos.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

underwhere759

New

Post by underwhere759 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:24 pm

I just figured I would wear jeans and some kind of nice shirt and be fine.

But with the post about nice casual and the fact of the picture taking it probably makes more sense to dress up now.

I am so excited to meet everyone soon!

tarheel87

Bronze

Post by tarheel87 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:45 pm

Hey all,
I'm very, very interested in W&L and I was wondering what yalls stats were and how much more difficult you think admissions will be this year with the fee waiver and all.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”