DePaul class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
TheBoss

New

Re: DePaul class of 2012

Post by TheBoss » Sun May 10, 2009 4:24 pm

bns_77 wrote:
TheBoss wrote:
2) Of the few times I visited Kent, while I certainly was impressed by the facilities, I got the distinct impression that a large contingency of the student body was a) overly competitive in an ugly way and b) bitter, as though they didn't want to be there and still upset that they didn't get into UC or NU. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the DePaul hallways were filled with happy, excited law students. The Kent hallways seemed to be filled with paranoid sourpusses. No offense to anyone at Kent. That was just my impression. Maybe everyone there was having a bad day when I visited. heh.
This is classic.

What did those Kent students do to you!?
Not sure what you mean. Nobody "did anything" to me. I just couldn't help but notice a lot of the student body seemed really prickly.

bns_77

New

Post by bns_77 » Mon May 11, 2009 11:05 am

TheBoss wrote:
bns_77 wrote:
TheBoss wrote:
2) Of the few times I visited Kent, while I certainly was impressed by the facilities, I got the distinct impression that a large contingency of the student body was a) overly competitive in an ugly way and b) bitter, as though they didn't want to be there and still upset that they didn't get into UC or NU. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the DePaul hallways were filled with happy, excited law students. The Kent hallways seemed to be filled with paranoid sourpusses. No offense to anyone at Kent. That was just my impression. Maybe everyone there was having a bad day when I visited. heh.
This is classic.

Not sure what you mean. Nobody "did anything" to me. I just couldn't help but notice a lot of the student body seemed really prickly.
I just found the dichotomy between "happy, excited law students" and "paranoid sourpusses" to be funny... Talk about leaving a bad impression. I was just wondering if they peed in your cheerios or something.

Was this during an open house?

TheBoss

New

Post by TheBoss » Mon May 11, 2009 11:53 am

bns_77 wrote:
TheBoss wrote:
bns_77 wrote:
TheBoss wrote:
This is classic.

I just found the dichotomy between "happy, excited law students" and "paranoid sourpusses" to be funny... Talk about leaving a bad impression. I was just wondering if they peed in your cheerios or something.

Was this during an open house?
I took my own rather unofficial tours in February. At both DePaul and Kent. Just spend the afternoon lounging, walking the halls, sitting in the library, blending in. I noticed that the DePaul students seemed to be in higher spirits, things seemed more upbeat. Kent surroundings were pretty, but even in the bookstore I overheard students griping. It just seemed to be a big gripe fest. People seemed really ticked off. It was weird, felt really unnatural.

A lot of smiles at DePaul. A lot of frowns at Kent. I can't explain it much better than that. That wasn't the definitive REASON I chose DePaul over Kent but it must have had some influence on my decision.

bns_77

New

Post by bns_77 » Mon May 11, 2009 12:43 pm

TheBoss wrote:
I took my own rather unofficial tours in February. At both DePaul and Kent. Just spend the afternoon lounging, walking the halls, sitting in the library, blending in. I noticed that the DePaul students seemed to be in higher spirits, things seemed more upbeat. Kent surroundings were pretty, but even in the bookstore I overheard students griping. It just seemed to be a big gripe fest. People seemed really ticked off. It was weird, felt really unnatural.

A lot of smiles at DePaul. A lot of frowns at Kent. I can't explain it much better than that. That wasn't the definitive REASON I chose DePaul over Kent but it must have had some influence on my decision.
Interesting, to say the least... I can see where that might sway you a bit. Law school will be hard enough without finding yourself mired in a culture of misery and doom.

Although I'm guessing your experience was probably more an anomaly than anything else... But who knows...

MissMaroon

Bronze

Post by MissMaroon » Fri May 15, 2009 12:48 pm

Hey, does everyone know that we have a facebook group? Maybe I'm slow, but I just thought of searching for one today, and I found it :D

Join! I think we should all be friends 8)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheBoss

New

Post by TheBoss » Fri May 15, 2009 12:59 pm

MissMaroon wrote:Hey, does everyone know that we have a facebook group? Maybe I'm slow, but I just thought of searching for one today, and I found it :D

Join! I think we should all be friends 8)
What's the group called?

MissMaroon

Bronze

Post by MissMaroon » Fri May 15, 2009 2:02 pm

DePaul University Law Class of 2012

TheBoss

New

Post by TheBoss » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:01 pm

Anyone started their gradPlus loans yet? Assuming you're taking them...

Going through FinAid office or independantly?

MissMaroon

Bronze

Post by MissMaroon » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:21 pm

TheBoss wrote:Anyone started their gradPlus loans yet? Assuming you're taking them...

I went through DePaul. I did all the online stuff and mailed in DePaul's supplemental GradPlus form about a week ago. DePaul starts processing that stuff today.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheBoss

New

Post by TheBoss » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:35 pm

MissMaroon wrote:
TheBoss wrote:Anyone started their gradPlus loans yet? Assuming you're taking them...

I went through DePaul. I did all the online stuff and mailed in DePaul's supplemental GradPlus form about a week ago. DePaul starts processing that stuff today.
Where'd you find the supplemental gradplus form online? I accepted the Stafford money (they sent an email about it), but when I'd asked about gradplus, they advised me to hold off until now. Did they tell you when to expect the loan money? It goes to them first right? They take out what's missing and send you the rest, correct?

Sidenote, does this mean you're officially going to DePaul? Word back from UC? Planning on throwing a transfer app after 1L?

Sidenote 2, done any reading thus far? I'm running through E&E's Tort Law now. Don't want to waste my summer buried in books (there will be plenty of time for that) but excited to get started and can't help but enjoy reading up on the examples and explanations.

MissMaroon

Bronze

Post by MissMaroon » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:20 pm

TheBoss wrote:
MissMaroon wrote:

Where'd you find the supplemental gradplus form online? I accepted the Stafford money (they sent an email about it), but when I'd asked about gradplus, they advised me to hold off until now. Did they tell you when to expect the loan money? It goes to them first right? They take out what's missing and send you the rest, correct?

Sidenote, does this mean you're officially going to DePaul? Word back from UC? Planning on throwing a transfer app after 1L?

Sidenote 2, done any reading thus far? I'm running through E&E's Tort Law now. Don't want to waste my summer buried in books (there will be plenty of time for that) but excited to get started and can't help but enjoy reading up on the examples and explanations.
The loan money hits our student accounts the week classes start, and the we get what's left over in a check within a few days, as far as I know. They told me I could submit GradPlus and Stafford loan apps and do all the online forms and counseling but that it could not be processed until June 1st. Oh, the GradPlus form was hard to find and I wouldn't have known it was necessary if I had not have been obnoxious and made the lady on the phone go through the whole process with me haha.

http://www.depaul.edu/admission/Financi ... /Forms.asp

I am officially going to DePaul. I'm still on U of C's waitlist and Cornell's reserve, but I'm not expecting anything from either of them. I'm very happy with DePaul, and now I guess I just need to find an apartment. I want to live downtown and I found a place I like, but they want proof of loan approval, so hopefully DePaul will pick up the pace with that!

I have no intention of trying to transfer. My interviewer at U of C mentioned that they take plenty of transfers from UIUC, but she didn't say anything about DePaul/Kent/Loyola. I know I'm going to be happy at DePaul, so I'm not too concerned. I'll have to see what my grades are like. Top 1% and maybe I could pull it off?? :wink:

I haven't read anything yet. I'm probably going to order the books on that list that DePaul sent us a few weeks ago (particularly 1L of a Ride). I don't know if I want to read E&Es... what do you think of the torts one so far?

Oh, I do plan to read Getting to Maybe though (I don't think that one was on our list)

TheBoss

New

Post by TheBoss » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:05 pm

TheBoss wrote:I haven't read anything yet. I'm probably going to order the books on that list that DePaul sent us a few weeks ago (particularly 1L of a Ride). I don't know if I want to read E&Es... what do you think of the torts one so far?

Oh, I do plan to read Getting to Maybe though (I don't think that one was on our list)
Glannon's E&E on Torts is solid. It's definitely worth reading. Getting to Maybe is on my list as well.

Happy to hear you're DePaul bound. Hope to see you around campus. Although I'm an evening part-timer, so maybe not. I work for a law firm in the city, got the family, mortgage, all that jazz. Can't walk away from the job.

Thanks for the info on the gradPlus. I need to get started on that today. Cheers.

MissMaroon

Bronze

Post by MissMaroon » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:31 pm

Well a bunch of us in the Facebook group want to get together at least once before orientation, so maybe I'll see you over the summer! I'll keep you updated :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheBoss

New

Post by TheBoss » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:28 pm

MissMaroon wrote:Well a bunch of us in the Facebook group want to get together at least once before orientation, so maybe I'll see you over the summer! I'll keep you updated :D
Definitely let me know if/when there's an official get-together planned.

MissMaroon

Bronze

Post by MissMaroon » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:42 am

Hey, Boss and everyone else in this thread:

In the Facebook group, we are in talks about a July 3rd bar night as our first summer meet-up.

parkanian1984

New

Post by parkanian1984 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:53 pm

Hey, fellow 0Ls!

I'm thrilled to be joining the class of 2012! I've seen your posts about how you're preparing for fall...is anyone going to go to that Kaplan "Law School Edge" course?

I did my LSAT prep with Kaplan, so they are letting me go for free....it's supposed to show you how to outline, read and brief cases, all that stuff.

Any thoughts? (Also, I'm willing to share my promo code if anyone is interested...it gets you a 100% discount off the $299 price....)

MissMaroon

Bronze

Post by MissMaroon » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:29 pm

I'm also a Kaplan alum and could do the Law School Edge for free, but I work full-time Mon-Fri this summer, so I won't be able to.

By the way, for any of you who have not joined the Facebook group yet, do it!! Also, we're planning a July 3rd Bar Night that you'll find information about on our FB page :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

parkanian1984

New

Post by parkanian1984 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:01 pm

The Edge program is only held on weekends...you can still go!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”