Marquette University Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
chitown825

Bronze

Marquette University Class of 2012

Post by chitown825 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:46 pm

Anybody going to Milwaukee next year? I think I'm going to take my scholarship.

Some thoughts:
- Great school (great undergraduate institution as well, which really helps the reputation)
- Brand new, incredible law building for 2L and 3L years (the current one isn't bad either)
- Job prospects good*
- Bar privilege
- Great basketball
- Great city, low cost of living (I don't plan to live near campus)
- Catholic

*Milwaukee has the home office of FIVE firms from the NLJ 250. Not a huge number, until you consider that there are only two law schools in Wisconsin. While UW-Madison is first pick, Marquette is actually IN downtown Milwaukee and places pretty well if you can graduate near the top of the class. It's downtown Milwaukee location also provides the opportunity to work part-time during the school year. If law firms aren't your thing, Milwaukee is a large city with many big companies to work for as an in-house attorney (Miller, Harley Davidson, Kohl's to name a few...). If you are looking for government work, Madison is only an hour away.

I grew up in Chicago and have always enjoyed visiting Milwaukee. Everyone in Chicago knows Marquette is a great school, and I've had a really good experience with everyone who works in the admissions office and teaches. The faculty all have JD's from HYS just like at any top school. I think Marquette is underrated, and it has a lot of potential if you do well in class.

TolentinoCifar

New

Re: Marquette University Class of 2012

Post by TolentinoCifar » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:36 pm

Hello,

I am a white male, 164, 3.33

Recently accepted at Marquette.

Any opinions on what my expectations should be regarding money?

Thanks

zonkadonk

New

Post by zonkadonk » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:45 pm

hey guys,

i'm actually at MU right now and would love to answer questions about the city/school/housing/whatever. I actually came to MU as an undergrad sight unseen to follow my SO, so I didn't have a great idea of what the school was about, but I have had an incredible experience here. they've been the best four years of my life and i'm going to miss this place like crazy. the only problem now is our garbage six seed in the tourney. how in the hell does illinois get a five seed and we get a six? ridiculous.

chitown825

Bronze

Post by chitown825 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:44 pm

Visited the school again today. Love the city. Love the school. Very, very seriously considering.

zonkadonk

New

Post by zonkadonk » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:48 pm

can't hurt how nice it was today. milwaukee is basically like throughout the year :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vealoscar

New

Post by vealoscar » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:51 pm

I'm an UG at MU too. I love Milwaukee and would love to answer any questions. I'm moving to Chicago next year.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:23 pm

I was in Milwaukee for UG too. Loved the city. I've missed it like crazy since I left. I never could say what it was about it that I loved but I just did.

That said, I definitely don't miss the weather.

chitown825

Bronze

Post by chitown825 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:20 am

Meh, I'm from north side Chicago, the weather isn't really going to be any different.

chitown825

Bronze

Post by chitown825 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:23 am

TolentinoCifar wrote:Hello,

I am a white male, 164, 3.33

Recently accepted at Marquette.

Any opinions on what my expectations should be regarding money?

Thanks
160/3.4 - they gave me $8,000/year (stingy considering SLU gave me $17,000). I've been trying to get them to increase but sounds like they are out of money. I wouldn't expect much this late in the game, even though your numbers are great.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zonkadonk

New

Post by zonkadonk » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:26 am

vealoscar, lovin the tar. although he has been AHEM flaky on defense lately. i think he's been psyching himself out now since dom went down. my own personal tournament prediction: lazar hayward leads the golden eagles to the elite eight.

vealoscar

New

Post by vealoscar » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:02 am

zonkadonk wrote:vealoscar, lovin the tar. although he has been AHEM flaky on defense lately. i think he's been psyching himself out now since dom went down. my own personal tournament prediction: lazar hayward leads the golden eagles to the elite eight.
I dunno; Lazar was playing some equally uninspired ball in that Villanova game. Jerel's clearly the leader-by-example on this team and some good ball from him will go farther than anything. Since we lost DJ, I can't say we lost much in production because of how Jimmy Butler and MoAck have stepped up (lost a little defense). It can really all be blamed on the psychological fart that Jerel has laid down and which has been really difficult for me to watch. Like a lot of people, 22's been my man since day one and the things I admire him for are his psychological toughness, hard work, and self-reflection. I think Marquette's only hope is that Jerel emerges from this crucible-of-sorts--between the 'nova game and the tournament--after thinking long and hard about his legacy at Marquette, ready and prepared to loosen up and put on a show.

vealoscar

New

Post by vealoscar » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:04 am

dresden doll wrote:I was in Milwaukee for UG too. Loved the city. I've missed it like crazy since I left. I never could say what it was about it that I loved but I just did.

That said, I definitely don't miss the weather.
The weather is awful, but that should always be qualified by the fact that Milwaukee is beautiful and really fun in the summer. The breeze from lake goes wonderfully with the incredible amounts of beer that are consumed.

belladona

New

Post by belladona » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:36 am

Anyone going to the admitted students thing on April 4th?

Where is everyone staying? I am out of state and have no clue about the area. :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

goblue84

New

Post by goblue84 » Fri May 01, 2009 2:44 pm

Has anyone heard where to live in Milwaukee? I heard around Marquette is pretty rough but the east-side is cool.

blackacre

New

Post by blackacre » Sat May 02, 2009 3:38 am

bump

vealoscar

New

Post by vealoscar » Sat May 02, 2009 4:34 am

Feel free to shoot questions my way. Almost all MU students live around campus. It's very easy to get to the east side, but most find that MU and downtown provide the best bars. East Side is very much a "hipster" crowd. It's a cool area, but I would just never live there.

chitown825

Bronze

Post by chitown825 » Sat May 02, 2009 12:27 pm

Probably sad to hear since I'm the thread starter, but I'm not going to MU any longer.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Teapot

New

Post by Teapot » Sat May 02, 2009 12:35 pm

chitown825 wrote:Probably sad to hear since I'm the thread starter, but I'm not going to MU any longer.
where did you choose?

yeahlawschool

New

Post by yeahlawschool » Sat May 02, 2009 12:48 pm

Could those that aren't going to be attending please withdraw, I really would like to go andim currently waitlisted. Thanks and best of luck to everyone!!

QW3R7Y

New

Post by QW3R7Y » Wed May 06, 2009 11:56 pm

I'll be attending Marquette as of right now. Finally made up my mind between here and another school offering a lot more money but of fairly lower rank. Only way I see my attendance status changing is if I get into one of my two remaining schools... and as late as it is, that's doubtful. Congrats to anyone else who has received an acceptance thus far and good luck to all wait-list candidates!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”