SMU Dedman Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
neskerdoo

Silver

Re: SMU Dedman Class of 2012

Post by neskerdoo » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:56 am

you know, usually I would report this kind of stuff, but I am enjoying the jokes!

dt15

New

Post by dt15 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:30 pm

Just sent in my tuition deposit today! Anyone looking for a roommate for next fall?...I haven't really thought that far ahead yet, so PM me...

bcb1986

New

Post by bcb1986 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:34 pm

i'm in

jadedV

New

Post by jadedV » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:14 am

Sending in the deposit tomorrow...!

bcb1986

New

Post by bcb1986 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:55 am

Do we have a facebook group yet? This is a necessity!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bcb1986

New

Post by bcb1986 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:53 am

sapereaude2012

New

Post by sapereaude2012 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:18 am

Congrats everyone!!!

When did you all go complete/receive decisions?

nontradintexas

Bronze

Post by nontradintexas » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:02 pm

betasteve wrote:Seat deposit paid. Not yet sure if that is where I will end up.
+1

jadedV

New

Post by jadedV » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:24 pm

Anyone have any good apartment suggestions? I'm starting my search now!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

argentinabrends

New

Post by argentinabrends » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:26 pm

Hey y'all. I'm not going to SMU this fall, but I do go there now for undergrad. If anybody has questions on where to live, the campus, questions about Dallas, anything, feel free to PM me! Congrats! It's a great school!

jadedV

New

Post by jadedV » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:08 pm

argentinabrends wrote:Hey y'all. I'm not going to SMU this fall, but I do go there now for undergrad. If anybody has questions on where to live, the campus, questions about Dallas, anything, feel free to PM me! Congrats! It's a great school!

Like I said before, any good apartment suggestions?? :D

Preferably in the Uptown area? Where do most law students live?

dt15

New

Post by dt15 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:14 pm

jadedV wrote:
argentinabrends wrote:Hey y'all. I'm not going to SMU this fall, but I do go there now for undergrad. If anybody has questions on where to live, the campus, questions about Dallas, anything, feel free to PM me! Congrats! It's a great school!

Like I said before, any good apartment suggestions?? :D

Preferably in the Uptown area? Where do most law students live?
+1

Alison585

New

Post by Alison585 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:51 pm

Hi,
I currently live in Uptown in Dallas.
You can look at apartments off of Knox-Henderson which is one exit away from the SMU campus. Knox-Henderson apts will be a little cheaper than apts directly in the center of uptown.

Here are few links to apartments in the area. If you go to a site like apartments.com they have most of them listed, anywhere in the 75204-75206 is in the uptown area.

There are some apts that are not listed on line becuase they are the type of apartments that are not managed by a commerical management company or are old reverted apts like this: http://www.apartments.com/summary.aspx? ... &srt3=0.27

You should prob start to look earlier than you normally would, uptown apts fill up pretty quickly or ppl renew their leases.

http://www.amli.com/Community/Community ... e=Overview

There are several apts that are owned by Post, so if you go to the Post website you can search the avb of all their apts

There is also an area across the highway from SMU called The Village, they have tons of apartments. Im not sure about their pricing. Here one of the listings for an apt in the Village: http://www.apartments.com/summary.aspx? ... &srt3=0.27

If you have any more questions feel free to message me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jadedV

New

Post by jadedV » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:29 pm

Alison585 wrote:Hi,
You can look at apartments off of Knox-Henderson which is one exit away from the SMU campus. Knox-Henderson apts will be a little cheaper than apts directly in the center of uptown.

Here are few links to apartments in the area. If you go to a site like apartments.com they have most of them listed, anywhere in the 75204-75206 is in the uptown area.

There are some apts that are not listed on line becuase they are the type of apartments that are not managed by a commerical management company or are old reverted apts like this: http://www.apartments.com/summary.aspx? ... &srt3=0.27

You should prob start to look earlier than you normally would, uptown apts fill up pretty quickly or ppl renew their leases.

There are several apts that are owned by Post, so if you go to the Post website you can search the avb of all their apts

There is also an area across the highway from SMU called The Village, they have tons of apartments. Im not sure about their pricing. Here one of the listings for an apt in the Village: http://www.apartments.com/summary.aspx? ... &srt3=0.27

Thanks so much Alison!
I've been looking (online) at Gables Knoxbridge and Amli Knox... also State Thomas Manchester. Good or bad?
I wish they were cheaper :(

bonnieblue

Bronze

Post by bonnieblue » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:22 pm

jadedV wrote:

Thanks so much Alison!
I've been looking (online) at Gables Knoxbridge and Amli Knox... also State Thomas Manchester. Good or bad?
not sure about those specific ones, but Gables and Amli tend to be very nice complexes in general

jtw1386

New

Post by jtw1386 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:14 pm

Uptown rent is a lot more expensive than nearly anywhere else in Dallas. If you want to find something close, but don't to pay too much, look in Plano or Richardson. I'll be going to SMU this year, and I just bought a house, a 2500 sq. ft house, in Plano that will cost me probably about $1,000 less per month, than renting an apartment in Uptown would be. Well $1,000 is a little over exaggerated, its probably closer to $600. If you want to save a little extra money, and don't mind driving too far, I'm talking 20 minutes at the most, then Plano and Richardson are a better bet.

bcb1986

New

Post by bcb1986 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:48 am

bonnieblue wrote:
jadedV wrote:

Thanks so much Alison!
not sure about those specific ones, but Gables and Amli tend to be very nice complexes in general
Gables Knoxbridge has good reviews in SMU's housing guide, but I met a girl who lived there for a year and had her car and apartment broken into. That has kind of scared me away. I'm kind of into the Vue at Fitzhugh right now and need to go check it out.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jadedV

New

Post by jadedV » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:46 am

bcb1986 wrote:
Gables Knoxbridge has good reviews in SMU's housing guide, but I met a girl who lived there for a year and had her car and apartment broken into. That has kind of scared me away. I'm kind of into the Vue at Fitzhugh right now and need to go check it out.
Ouch, exactly what I didn't want to hear.

How much is rent at Vue at Fitzhugh? I don't see listed on their website (probably a bad sign).

Alison585

New

Post by Alison585 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:16 am

bonnieblue wrote:
jadedV wrote:

Thanks so much Alison!
Gables Knoxbridge are nice. I have looked at them previously. They are by a group of restaurants/bars and Katy Trail (which is a running/walking/biking trail) built into uptown Dallas.

Amli Knox-I have never looked at them, I have only seen the outside of them. The area around them is nice. Same situation as Gables Knoxbridge, they are by a group of restaurants/bars and Katy Trail.

St Thomas Manchester is really nice. It is more in the heart of uptown. It is by a historic cemetery. The area around the complex (its a big complex) is really nice.

The comment somone made about a car being broken into...Uptown is really nice, but there is some level of crime that comes over from downtown (which is a few miles away) When looking for an apartment the best ones are the ones that have either covered parking or parking w/in a gated area.

Concerning Plano or Richardson, either of those options would prob have cheaper apts. Richardson is north of SMU on highway 75, and Plano is north of Richardson. They are both nice communities.

When I moved to uptown I drove around the area and just looked at apts I liked (which is hard for some since you dont live here), but then I got lazy, since there are so many apts in the uptown area, and called an apartment locater company and he did all the work and it saved me alot of time. If anyone wants the apartment locater company I used PM me and Ill send you their number.

argentinabrends

New

Post by argentinabrends » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:18 am

I live at Vue Fitzhugh now (i am not going to SMU for law school but i am graduating this year). I really like it. My roommate and I split a 2br/2ba around 1,1080 sq feet and it is about $700 in rent plus utilities. It is in uptown and just one exit up from the West Village and about 5 minutes driving from school. I really like it. The apartment has been great, the management is OK. I've never had any security issues either. There is a guard at the gate every night. If anyone else has questions on Vue, feel free to pm me!

jadedV

New

Post by jadedV » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:33 am

argentinabrends wrote:I live at Vue Fitzhugh now (i am not going to SMU for law school but i am graduating this year). I really like it. My roommate and I split a 2br/2ba around 1,1080 sq feet and it is about $700 in rent plus utilities. It is in uptown and just one exit up from the West Village and about 5 minutes driving from school. I really like it. The apartment has been great, the management is OK. I've never had any security issues either. There is a guard at the gate every night. If anyone else has questions on Vue, feel free to pm me!
$700 a piece, right?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

argentinabrends

New

Post by argentinabrends » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:50 am

yeah...$700 each that's rent + water/trash. also, it is 1,080 sq feet, not 1,1080. With utilities it comes to about $820 a month and that is including, TV/Internet through Time Warner (i think it's the only service provided to the building for TV), Spark for electricity and my roommate and I rent a washer/dryer for $35 a month. The buildings (there are 2 in Vue Fitzhugh) also have washer/dryer that you can use with coins so that is always an option if you dont want to rent a washer/dryer.

Also, we did a deal with the office that we got $200 off the first month because we signed within 24 hours of visiting...but i think they have much better deals now because of the economy where they are offering the first month free or something. Also, a lot of the apartments have been remodeled with granite countertops and hardwood floors. Ours has formica on the countertops and fake tile flooring. Also, because we have the biggest 2br/2ba available (it's perfect for roommates) we have a nice big door and two big windows leading out to a balcony facing to the street. We also have a huge island with tons of storage space!

Any other questions on Vue or other places, feel free to ask! I've pretty much seen all of the apartments in uptown since I looked into them when I moved a year ago. There are also a lot of new places being built that look really nice. Also, I can post pictures if anyone wants!

sk8erb0imike

New

Post by sk8erb0imike » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:48 pm

Hey there everyone! fellow SMUers

Deposit in. So whose going to SMU Dedman? =D

ag12

New

Post by ag12 » Tue May 05, 2009 6:21 pm

Count me in! Anyone know how to join the facebook group without it showing up on my profile? I want to join but my work doesn't know I am leaving yet (and I don't want them to find out through facebook).

jadedV

New

Post by jadedV » Tue May 05, 2009 8:34 pm

ag12 wrote:Count me in! Anyone know how to join the facebook group without it showing up on my profile? I want to join but my work doesn't know I am leaving yet (and I don't want them to find out through facebook).
Haha, interesting dilemma! I'm not sure these days, because facebook puts everything (and then some) out there on people's homepages...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”