University of Oregon Law Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
JGKVista

New

Re: University of Oregon Law Class of 2012

Post by JGKVista » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:44 pm

Hey everyone,
I will be headed down to Eugene this fall. I am super nervous, but I think it will be a great experience! I will also be at the ASD, hope to see you all there!

snaps

New

Post by snaps » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:15 pm

welcome! i am still getting used to the idea too! (just got in yesterday).

you should join us after the ASD event. and join the facebook group too! never too soon to network. 8)

animalJD

New

Post by animalJD » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:37 pm

My fiance and I recently got accepted. We are unsure of what to do. We really like Oregon, but we aren't in the financial situation right now to go visit schools and put down deposits.Oregon seems like a great fit for us, but it's difficult to know for sure without going there first (we live all the way over in Florida!). We had expected to be in a better financial situation by now. We'll definitely be good to go for the next cycle.

If it was 100% up to my fiance, he'd say screw it and go put down his deposit now to join Oregon 2012 LOL

ShelleyVA

New

Post by ShelleyVA » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:39 pm

kimber1028 wrote:Suggestion: don't book the Hilton; you'll hear the train all night! The Phoenix Inn near campus is great, and there are a couple of more affordable options, too. I'd be up for hanging out after the ASD. There's a bar nearby (Villard St. Pub) that has good food and decent drinks, if you wanted to get a group together. I think my fiance and I are heading back to Portland that evening, so we won't stay too late, but we'd like to meet everyone!
I'm in for drinks/dinner as long as you don't make me go to Taylor's on a Saturday night. :wink:

kimber1028

Bronze

Post by kimber1028 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:48 pm

ShelleyVA wrote:
kimber1028 wrote:Suggestion: don't book the Hilton; you'll hear the train all night! The Phoenix Inn near campus is great, and there are a couple of more affordable options, too. I'd be up for hanging out after the ASD. There's a bar nearby (Villard St. Pub) that has good food and decent drinks, if you wanted to get a group together. I think my fiance and I are heading back to Portland that evening, so we won't stay too late, but we'd like to meet everyone!
I'm in for drinks/dinner as long as you don't make me go to Taylor's on a Saturday night. :wink:
That's exactly why I suggested Villard. :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ShelleyVA

New

Post by ShelleyVA » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:54 pm

Glad we're on the same page there. I considered suggesting that we show the newbies* the campus bars, but then I realized that it's likely none of the newbies are barely 21 year old frat boys. Oddly enough, I haven't been to Villard Street since it was Neighbor's.

*New to Eugene, that is.

kimber1028

Bronze

Post by kimber1028 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:54 pm

animalJD wrote:My fiance and I recently got accepted. We are unsure of what to do. We really like Oregon, but we aren't in the financial situation right now to go visit schools and put down deposits.Oregon seems like a great fit for us, but it's difficult to know for sure without going there first (we live all the way over in Florida!). We had expected to be in a better financial situation by now. We'll definitely be good to go for the next cycle.

If it was 100% up to my fiance, he'd say screw it and go put down his deposit now to join Oregon 2012 LOL
Have you tried talking to UO? The admissions staff might have an alternative available for students in need, or they may be able to provide you with suggestions to resolve the situation. I hope you can make it work; we'd love to have you two join us at school! If you have questions about Oregon, or if you want pictures or anything, let me know, and I'd be happy to help!

snaps

New

Post by snaps » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:57 pm

oooo do you have pictures? post some pictures!!! i'd love to see more of the city and the school!

ShelleyVA

New

Post by ShelleyVA » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:58 pm

I should dig through my pictures when I get home tonight... I'm sure I've got some somewhere.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kimber1028

Bronze

Post by kimber1028 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:18 pm

ShelleyVA wrote:Glad we're on the same page there. I considered suggesting that we show the newbies* the campus bars, but then I realized that it's likely none of the newbies are barely 21 year old frat boys. Oddly enough, I haven't been to Villard Street since it was Neighbor's.

*New to Eugene, that is.
I considered the same thing. I didn't want everyone coming to think that Eugene is just a haven for Greek life (which it really isn't, though a few bars make it seem that way). Neighbors was fun! One of my best friends in college lived on 15th and Villard my junior year, so we used to walk across the street and hang out there all the time. Villard actually has amazing food (for a bar, of course); I was really impressed when I came down to Eugene and ate there a month or two ago.

kimber1028

Bronze

Post by kimber1028 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:21 pm

snaps wrote:oooo do you have pictures? post some pictures!!! i'd love to see more of the city and the school!
I don't have any Eugene pics on my laptop, but I'll check out my other pictures when I get home this evening. I can make my fiance the unofficial photographer for the ASD, too, so that we can post pictures for those of you who aren't able to attend. He loves taking pictures, so I'm sure he'd happily shoot away during the tour and afterwards.

ShelleyVA

New

Post by ShelleyVA » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:04 pm

That's cool that your fiance is coming. My boyfriend has to work for most of the day, but I might run home and grab him before we head out for drinks :)

kimber1028

Bronze

Post by kimber1028 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:29 pm

ShelleyVA wrote:That's cool that your fiance is coming. My boyfriend has to work for most of the day, but I might run home and grab him before we head out for drinks :)
You should! It would probably be fun for him to meet everyone before we obsessively start discussing our classes in legal terminology, too. :lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JGKVista

New

Post by JGKVista » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:22 pm

Hey Snaps, I am already on the Facebook group. I am the one with the curly red hair with Penn. I would love to meet up after the ASD, but it is my birthday weekend and I can't imagine that going over very well with friends/family. I am just driving down to Eugene for the day, I am from Washington, so it will only take me a couple of hours to get there.

snaps

New

Post by snaps » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:25 am

i feel awesome about choosing oregon over syracuse and pacific now. i'm not a rankings whore by any means, but i'm super excited that oregon has a top-ranked writing program (i knew they did, but they went up!). and they went up in the general rankings, too...whereas the other two i was considering completely dropped to another tier!

however, what is up with their employment rates at and after graduation? and their bar passage rate? they have good judge/lawyer assessment scores...better than anyone else on the page (unless my eyes went sideways and i missed something...it is almost 3:30 a.m.)...but i hope our employment prospects aren't as completely dismal as what those numbers are telling me. ack!

kimber1028

Bronze

Post by kimber1028 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:05 pm

The other great thing I noticed for those who picked UO over Willamette is that Willamette slipped to T4--ouch! I can't say I'm thrilled that L&C went up to #61--is that going to influence the Oregon competition at all? The two have been historically pretty equal in employment opportunities for graduates. Thoughts? I'm still thrilled about UO, but I can't ignore the possible repercussions of the new rankings.
Last edited by kimber1028 on Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cal4future

New

Post by Cal4future » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:15 pm

repercussions of the new rankings.
They still went up! It's not like Oregon dropped off the map here :). I seriously doubt firms care at all about rankings. They are probably more concerned with quality of education and they have graduates in their offices who represent the schools' education better than rankings ever could.

Just my two cents.

edit: I just noticed UO's bar passage rate. :( Over a 10% drop?! This makes me pretty nervous. Anyone else?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kimber1028

Bronze

Post by kimber1028 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:25 pm

Cal4future wrote:
repercussions of the new rankings.
They still went up! It's not like Oregon dropped off the map here :). I seriously doubt firms care at all about rankings. They are probably more concerned with quality of education and they have graduates in their offices who represent the schools' education better than rankings ever could.

Just my two cents.

edit: I just noticed UO's bar passage rate. :( Over a 10% drop?! This makes me pretty nervous. Anyone else?
Don't get me wrong... I'm still thrilled about UO and their climb! I was just thinking in terms of the Oregon legal market, since L&C seems to have a little bit of a leg up now. However, I've been told by a few attorney friends here in Portland that the firms don't care too much about the rankings, like you said, so it probably isn't a big deal.

As far as the bar passage rate goes, that is very surprising. My guess would be that Oregon is diving into more theoretical law, which, while increasing the rankings, would cause graduates to have less knowledge about the BLL itself. I'm sure we'll be able to pass after graduation, though, so no worries on my part.

platicus

New

Post by platicus » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:25 pm

Hey everybody. I'll be attending UO Law in the Fall and going to ASD on Saturday. GO DUCKS!!!!!

kimber1028

Bronze

Post by kimber1028 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:30 pm

platicus wrote:Hey everybody. I'll be attending UO Law in the Fall and going to ASD on Saturday. GO DUCKS!!!!!
Yea! Welcome! You're from Portland, right?

kimber1028

Bronze

Post by kimber1028 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:41 pm

So, roll call--who is coming to the ASD? Also, out of those who are coming on Saturday, who is planning on going out with the TLS group afterwards? We've also added a few Facebookers. We're planning on hitting up Villard St. Pub for dinner and drinks... and I guess we may head out to other bars afterwards, depending on what people want to do.

So far I have:

Shelley + BF
Snaps
JB-Facebooker
CS-Facebooker
AH-Facebooker

Anyone else? We should also figure out a way to recognize those who aren't already outed through FB.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

snaps

New

Post by snaps » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:42 pm

hey platicus. i've always liked your avatar. come hang out with us on saturday night. 8)

ijkl564

New

hair straighteners

Post by ijkl564 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:47 am

I like to spam.

kimber1028

Bronze

Post by kimber1028 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:07 am

FWIW, Helmholtz has Oregon at #52 in his rankings, and the TaxProf blog shows Oregon at #49 in his reputation rankings. Go Oregon! :D

kimber1028

Bronze

Re: hair straighteners

Post by kimber1028 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:12 am

ijkl564 wrote:I like to spam.
Thanks for fixing this, mods! :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”