American Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
smiley26

New

American Class of 2012

Post by smiley26 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:00 pm

As of now, that's what I am leaning towards...

who else is with me?

thoughts about...housing? tuition? schollies? etc etc.

mardimar

New

Re: American Class of 2012

Post by mardimar » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:14 pm

Last edited by mardimar on Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

cfishy305

New

Post by cfishy305 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:16 pm

yeah i think im gonna end up there... even though i'm still waiting on some t14s and a few others... are u guys going to the admitted students day?

smiley26

New

Post by smiley26 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:31 pm

not going to make it to admitted students day and haven't visited...I am also waiting on 6 schools but I am expecting mostly rejections

interesting that no one seems all that excited about AU

Marmot

Bronze

Post by Marmot » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:38 pm

I'm waiting to hear about the MA portion of my application. You have to love the government and public interest opportunities, but it's expensive as all get-out and I'm becoming tired of D.C.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

argentinabrends

New

Post by argentinabrends » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:02 am

I am going!! I am really excited about it! I really wanted to be in DC and after getting dinged from Gtown and WLed at GWU...this is the next closest thing.

I'm going to admitted students weekend on March 27! Also looking at townhomes/condos in the Adams Morgan area!

byu85

New

Post by byu85 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:12 am

If you are all in at American you can probably get into George Mason as well. You should all apply, deadline isn't until April 1 I believe. Cheaper tuition, closer to downtown DC via the GMU Law metro stop (even though it's across the river in VA), higher ranking, etc. Honestly I haven't looked much into American because of the price, but I don't know why you would go there over George Mason if you got accepted to both.

PubIntLawyer

New

Post by PubIntLawyer » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:18 am

byu85 wrote:If you are all in at American you can probably get into George Mason as well. You should all apply, deadline isn't until April 1 I believe. Cheaper tuition, closer to downtown DC via the GMU Law metro stop (even though it's across the river in VA), higher ranking, etc. Honestly I haven't looked much into American because of the price, but I don't know why you would go there over George Mason if you got accepted to both.
+1

cfishy305

New

Post by cfishy305 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:12 am

byu85 wrote:If you are all in at American you can probably get into George Mason as well. You should all apply, deadline isn't until April 1 I believe. Cheaper tuition, closer to downtown DC via the GMU Law metro stop (even though it's across the river in VA), higher ranking, etc. Honestly I haven't looked much into American because of the price, but I don't know why you would go there over George Mason if you got accepted to both.
Well American has a great international law program. That's a reason. My reason. Got into both.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jetlagz28

Bronze

Post by jetlagz28 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:21 am

Dinged from Mason, Accepted at American.

I am very excited and coming from the San Francisco housing market, D.C housing isn't THAT expensive. I'm actually going to visit the school this weekend and take a little tour of D.C. I am REALLY looking forward to the fall and hope to meet some of you folks face to face.

Not attending admitted students day because I'll be out of the country!

AbsolutLax

New

Post by AbsolutLax » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:38 am

If you are all in at American you can probably get into George Mason as well. You should all apply, deadline isn't until April 1 I believe. Cheaper tuition, closer to downtown DC via the GMU Law metro stop (even though it's across the river in VA), higher ranking, etc. Honestly I haven't looked much into American because of the price, but I don't know why you would go there over George Mason if you got accepted to both.
+1

Not worth the money, even if it's international law program is good.

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:41 am

If I get in... (still on i guess an unofficial "hold")... then I will see you all there. Congrats on your acceptances!

radical4peace

New

Post by radical4peace » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:08 pm

Good luck to folks who are still waiting on American! I'm waiting to hear back on CU, huge reaches and money from some of the schools who have already accepted me. I don't think I have the best shot at the PIPS scholarship at American, but if I get it I am definitely there. American - huge cost = Great school

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lsatismybitchlover

New

Post by lsatismybitchlover » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:14 pm

Because George Mason is not liberal, that's the real reason that nobody wants to admit...

2009 Prospective

Bronze

Post by 2009 Prospective » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:19 pm

lsatismybitchlover wrote:

Because George Mason is not liberal, that's the real reason that nobody wants to admit...
GMU is actually much harder to get into than American right now. GMU is my easy top choice (despite its conservative rep) but I'm just probably not going to cut it to get in there. I probably wont be going to American either (too expensive) but to say that one can get into Mason because he/she got into American is just plain wrong.

*EDIT*- Congrats to all those that are going and excited to attend. Don't mean to hijack the thread any further.
Last edited by 2009 Prospective on Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lsatismybitchlover

New

Post by lsatismybitchlover » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:21 pm

2009 Prospective wrote:
lsatismybitchlover wrote:

GMU is actually much harder to get into than American right now. GMU is my easy top choice (despite its conservative rep) but I'm just probably not going to cut it to get in there. I probably wont be going to American either but to say that one can easily get into Mason because he/she got into American is just plain wrong.

*EDIT*- Congrats to all those that are going and excited to attend. Don't mean to hijack the thread any further.

+1, based on some of the numbers I have seen get rejected at GMU this cycle, it seems more difficult to get into than American.

"*EDIT*- Congrats to all those that are going and excited to attend. Don't mean to hijack the thread any further."

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:23 pm

Maybe you're super interested in International Law, American has a Top 5 Program. That's why it's on the top of my list over other higher ranked schools ...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lsatismybitchlover

New

Post by lsatismybitchlover » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:44 pm

missvik218 wrote:
byu85 wrote:Maybe you're super interested in International Law, American has a Top 5 Program. That's why it's on the top of my list over other higher ranked schools ...
And now let the REAL thread jacking begin...

jetlagz28

Bronze

Post by jetlagz28 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:44 pm

The class will over 400 entering students, funny to see how little we represent on TLS.

BTW. It sucks searching for "American" in the forum search. You have to dig through hundreds of "American Idol, African American" threads to find a few WCL threads.

radical4peace

New

Post by radical4peace » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:14 pm

jetlagz28 wrote:The class will over 400 entering students, funny to see how little we represent on TLS.

BTW. It sucks searching for "American" in the forum search. You have to dig through hundreds of "American Idol, African American" threads to find a few WCL threads.
Yes, it is so hard to search for American! It's almost like we should call it "WCL" or something to make searches easier...

smiley26

New

Post by smiley26 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:28 pm

I have been looking at housing, and paying tuition and everything its really not going to work for me unless I have a roommate or two and I know NO ONE in the area. Anyone else having this problem?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jetlagz28

Bronze

Post by jetlagz28 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:28 pm

smiley26 wrote:I have been looking at housing, and paying tuition and everything its really not going to work for me unless I have a roommate or two and I know NO ONE in the area. Anyone else having this problem?
Same, I'm out in California and have no connections in the DC. When I go visit the school this weekend I plan to scope out neighborhoods and housing options for the fall as well. I'm sure once you are there and start making connections housing opportunities will open up for 2L and 3L years.....but for 1L?....... Craigslist? TLS?

Lets keep this thread open and bump every now and then.

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:07 pm

I live in DC (and am hoping to be at AU in the fall?), so if people need help with neighborhood recommendations or questions about various areas, feel free to ask me!

flores

New

Post by flores » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:17 pm

jetlagz28 wrote:
smiley26 wrote:I have been looking at housing, and paying tuition and everything its really not going to work for me unless I have a roommate or two and I know NO ONE in the area. Anyone else having this problem?
Same, I'm out in California and have no connections in the DC. When I go visit the school this weekend I plan to scope out neighborhoods and housing options for the fall as well. I'm sure once you are there and start making connections housing opportunities will open up for 2L and 3L years.....but for 1L?....... Craigslist? TLS?

Lets keep this thread open and bump every now and then.

I have a few friends in DC and they all say finding an apartment isn't too difficult. The problem is deciding what neighborhood to live in. Craigslist seems to be a good but the school also holds a Housing Conference every year. This year it's June 25, 26, 29, 30, and July 1 (from accepted students website). The conference is supposed to familiarize students with WCL and give us housing info. WCL is in a nice residential neighborhood, but if you want to live closer to downtown you can always live in Woodley Park.

The price tag is hard to swallow, but maybe I'll see you guys in the fall!
Viva California :lol:

cfishy305

New

Post by cfishy305 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:21 pm

im very used to living with random roommates... so I think i could definitely see myself rooming with randoms again... lol...

WHO WANTS TO BE MY ROOMMATE!?!?! lol
hahaha

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”