THE Boston College class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
belligerentfuture

New

Re: THE Boston College class of 2012

Post by belligerentfuture » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:26 am

Informative wrote:Anyone still on here? Curious if some of you could give me the reasons you chose BC. I am leaning towards BC and would like to hear other student's reasons for choosing to attend.

Thanks!

Stats: 166/3.8
Acceptances: BC, BU, GW, Fordham, UCLA, UConn
WL: GULC
Denied: Cornell, Chicago
First off, congrats on your acceptances! Looking at your list, the only school I *might* pick over BC would be UCLA, but that depends on a lot of factors. Two things reign supreme--where you want to practice/live and how much financial aid you get from a school.
I turned down a full ride at Iowa for 50% at BC, and am *very* happy with that decision. It really can't be explained exactly how much it matters to have local connections for jobs these days, and I feel confident I will find a job after graduation in Boston, which is where I want to stay long term. Imagining what it would have been like trying to come from Iowa is speculative, but to me it would seem almost impossible, despite the PR schools give you. At minimum I would have been working 2-3 times as hard.
Things I like about BC:
--yes, the professors really are *that* nice! (one of mine threw us an end of semester party where his wife baked like 30 kinds of cookies, he brought his kids, and he screened 'Its a Wonderful Life' (it was almost Xmas)).
--yes, the students are *that* nice, and mostly pretty un-gunner-like. people will give you notes if you are out. people will bail you out when you get called on and haven't done the reading. it really *is* the disneyland of law schools.
--the reputation in the boston area is VERY strong. i got an internship at the U.S.A.O. Boston office, and the guy interviewing me said he picked me because I went to BC (I know a couple of other 1Ls who got the same program). The perception in Boston (rightly or wrongly) is that Harvard kids are all snotty and leaving as soon as they graduate and that BU kids all want to go to new york. BC is seen as a hometown school and has an excellent academic reputation, so we actually have a better shot inside of Boston than even Harvard (i'm not kidding, the USAO was almost literally refusing to hire Harvard kids for the summer).
--campus is nice, there's parking, not a lot of traffic, which generally makes life livable.

I guess I'm out of reasons, and Civ Pro is ending :)

The take home is I couldn't be happier with my choice, and have had a great time in law school so far (I do consistently describe 1L year as "fun"). COME TO BC!!

Informative

Bronze

Post by Informative » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:47 pm

Thanks. Pretty sure I'll end up at BC unless I get off the Georgetown waitlist (seems to be the same with all the other applicants I speak with). Still go up and down regarding UCLA. Are there other BC law students who post on these boards?

belligerentfuture

New

Post by belligerentfuture » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:25 pm

Informative wrote:Thanks. Pretty sure I'll end up at BC unless I get off the Georgetown waitlist (seems to be the same with all the other applicants I speak with). Still go up and down regarding UCLA. Are there other BC law students who post on these boards?

Um, not at this point. there were a bunch of us on here last year, but once school started we all switched to section listservs and facebook. Actually, i forgot i was still subscribed to this thread until it sent me a "new posting" email, and i figured you deserved a response ;) good luck with your cycle and ultimate decision, and maybe i will see you around next year (or not--i'm terrible at actually showing up at school, although it hasn't seem to effect the gpa--yet another bonus of BC ;)).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”