University of Denver 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
mrcourt123

New

Re: University of Denver 2012

Post by mrcourt123 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:08 pm

BWOD wrote:
mrcourt123 wrote:
annapavlova wrote:I'm curious about the student health insurance. That shit is expensive - but, so is private health insurance. Does the student health insurance provide good coverage? Does it include dental? Is the deductible high?
Good question. I noticed it was mosre costly than other schools. Anyone know the answer?
I actually never had to really use it while in undergrad so I can't get a good answer. Whenever I had an issue I just went to see a doctor at the health center and that took care of it. I didn't have to pay for those visits.

That said I had no hospitalizations or scrips so I don't know about how those are handled.

But yeah it's expensive. I am actually looking for outside coverage that is hopefully cheaper. However, here are links I found to DU provided information about the health insurance:

http://www.du.edu/duhealth/general/insurance/

http://www.du.edu/duhealth/pdfs/08-09_H ... ochure.pdf

Hope that helps.
Good find - Thanks.

BWOD

New

Post by BWOD » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:15 pm

Tehpokerstar wrote:My status updater said decision processed. Does anyone have any experience if this changes to decision accepted or denied on the website? Anyone know any ways of finding out the decision without calling them over the phone since they aren't allowed to give decisions that way?
From my experience the only way you can tell is in the correspondence section that has a list of the fin aid related emails they sent you. Other than that, no.

Someone else this year had their entire email wiped out so they called and were told over the phone. So since you'd probably need to get in your admissions deposit quickly they will waive their no phone rule.
Last edited by BWOD on Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tehpokerstar

New

Post by Tehpokerstar » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:16 pm

Is it tacky to call them and ask?

BWOD

New

Post by BWOD » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:21 pm

Tehpokerstar wrote:Is it tacky to call them and ask?
I'd call. But then again I've never been accused of being suave. In reality though, they need your decision quickly so they may give you an answer over the phone.

I would call the admissions officer direct though and not go through the receptionists.

uhoh

New

Post by uhoh » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:46 pm

Tehpokerstar wrote:Is it tacky to call them and ask?
Purely anecdotally, I've heard that they'll tell you 'yes' over the phone, but they'll tell you to wait for the letter if it's a 'no.'

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tehpokerstar

New

Post by Tehpokerstar » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:13 pm

ya. they just told me to wait over the phone. I told them I was making a seat deposit at another school and would like not to, if accepted at DU. She proceeded to tell me that they can't tell me over the phone. She said I'd have to wait. So I guess i'm not in. =(

uhoh

New

Post by uhoh » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:22 pm

Tehpokerstar wrote:ya. they just told me to wait over the phone. I told them I was making a seat deposit at another school and would like not to, if accepted at DU. She proceeded to tell me that they can't tell me over the phone. She said I'd have to wait. So I guess i'm not in. =(
Or you're going to prove that theory wrong! Sending good thoughts your way.

Tehpokerstar

New

Post by Tehpokerstar » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:44 am

i appreciate your good thoughts. I could really go for ice cream and a chick flick.

annapavlova

Bronze

Post by annapavlova » Mon May 11, 2009 12:33 pm

:)
Last edited by annapavlova on Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BWOD

New

Post by BWOD » Mon May 11, 2009 1:01 pm

Last edited by BWOD on Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

annapavlova

Bronze

Post by annapavlova » Mon May 11, 2009 1:10 pm

Last edited by annapavlova on Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BWOD

New

Post by BWOD » Mon May 11, 2009 1:41 pm

Last edited by BWOD on Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrcourt123

New

Post by mrcourt123 » Tue May 19, 2009 9:41 am

Well, my cycle is officially complete and I'm 100% committed to DU. Although I was 95% sure this is where I'd be, I was waiting out one more school. Very excited about moving and starting. Haven't seen much movement on this thread in a while. Anyone find a place to live yet? This is toward the top of my priority list, along with helping my fiance find a j-o-b to support my broke ass. Anyone have an "in" at a hospital? She's a physical therapist...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BWOD

New

Post by BWOD » Tue May 19, 2009 10:47 am

mrcourt123 wrote:Well, my cycle is officially complete and I'm 100% committed to DU. Although I was 95% sure this is where I'd be, I was waiting out one more school. Very excited about moving and starting. Haven't seen much movement on this thread in a while. Anyone find a place to live yet? This is toward the top of my priority list, along with helping my fiance find a j-o-b to support my broke ass. Anyone have an "in" at a hospital? She's a physical therapist...
Congrats on the 5%. It certainly takes a load off.

I found a place about a mile away from school which is nice. If you need any helps or tips for places to live nearby school, let me know and I will be happy to help you out.

As for hospitals I have no ins, but there are quite a few between school and downtown on Colorado Blvd. Also, check out smaller clinics and sports physical therapy which I hear is big (this is secondhand from someone going to school for phys theraphy right now). But I think she can find something. We Coloradoans like to get outside and exercise and we always play hard.

As they say on the slopes, "No falls, no balls".

uhoh

New

Post by uhoh » Wed May 20, 2009 12:19 am

Congratulations, mrcourt!

Unfortunately, I don't have any hospital ins either. But you might want to check out Porter Adventist. It's quite close to campus, and there are LOADS of rentals in this neighborhood right now.

Speaking of, if anyone wants to know more about a cheap cheap cheap 1 BR + office basement apartment within walking distance of campus, in a quiet house (I live upstairs), in a great neighborhood, also within walking distance of bars and restaurants and consignment shops and lightrail and buses, pets OK -- let me know quickly! It's going fast to some people who seem perfectly nice, but are home 24/7 and strike me as potentially noisy. Could turn into neighbor strife after I morph into a crazed 1L. Then again, I'm seriously considering just moving into the law school anyway, so maybe it won't matter. ;)

annapavlova

Bronze

Post by annapavlova » Wed May 20, 2009 11:17 am

BWOD

New

Post by BWOD » Fri May 22, 2009 1:10 pm

Just got this in an email. Figured everyone else did too, but if you didn't thought it may help with info about DU in general.

http://law.du.edu/documents/admissions/ ... r-2009.pdf

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mrcourt123

New

Post by mrcourt123 » Fri May 22, 2009 2:18 pm

BWOD wrote:Just got this in an email. Figured everyone else did too, but if you didn't thought it may help with info about DU in general.

I got it too. 12 days of work left before I'm done for good. This is starting to become very real...

BWOD

New

Post by BWOD » Fri May 22, 2009 2:31 pm

mrcourt123 wrote:
BWOD wrote:Just got this in an email. Figured everyone else did too, but if you didn't thought it may help with info about DU in general.

I got it too. 12 days of work left before I'm done for good. This is starting to become very real...
Lucky bastard, I have 50. But the senioritis has already set in.

mrcourt123

New

Post by mrcourt123 » Sat May 23, 2009 12:40 pm

BWOD wrote:
mrcourt123 wrote:

Lucky bastard, I have 50. But the senioritis has already set in.
Oooohhh yessss. Senioritis like no other. 12 days left of my "real" job. I'll still be waiting tables this summer though.

Jams10

New

Post by Jams10 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:20 pm

What does everyone think of the PT evening program?? Also, what is everyone thinking of going into? I am interested in Environmental Law and I think Denver has a pretty good program...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Tehpokerstar

New

Post by Tehpokerstar » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:29 pm

what are you thinking you'll do with environmental law ?

Jams10

New

Post by Jams10 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:39 pm

I'm not exactly sure. I am just interested in water rights and things along that line. I am also passionate about working with nonprofit groups to protect the environment, as well as animal rights.

mrcourt123

New

Post by mrcourt123 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:56 pm

Well, I am in full apartment hunting mode now and it is pretty difficult to do based on photos and reviews on the internet. I'm wondering if anyone that is in the Denver area or has looked at apartments in the area know anything about the following places: Grand Quincy Commons, Legend Oaks, and Village at Loretto Heights. They all seem to have reasonable rent and are not too far from campus. However, the reviews I've read on apartmentratings.com are very mixed. I really just want a place that's clean, well maintained, safe, and pet friendly. Anyone know anything about these places or have recommendations of places I should check out?

BWOD

New

Post by BWOD » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:14 pm

mrcourt123 wrote:Well, I am in full apartment hunting mode now and it is pretty difficult to do based on photos and reviews on the internet. I'm wondering if anyone that is in the Denver area or has looked at apartments in the area know anything about the following places: Grand Quincy Commons, Legend Oaks, and Village at Loretto Heights. They all seem to have reasonable rent and are not too far from campus. However, the reviews I've read on apartmentratings.com are very mixed. I really just want a place that's clean, well maintained, safe, and pet friendly. Anyone know anything about these places or have recommendations of places I should check out?
I've never heard of those places. However, there are a couple good apartments within a mile. Check the DU off campus housing website where they have a list. Those are generally good and very close. If you have any questions about any of those let me know and I'll tell you what I know.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”