W&M Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Blindmelon

Gold

Re: W&M Class of 2012

Post by Blindmelon » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:47 pm

galahad85 wrote:
texas08 wrote:
galahad85 wrote:What's so bad about their on-campus housing? That's actually what I was planning on doing.
haha, I left out the most important part. I swore an oath to myself to never ever again sleep on an xl-twin bed. :mrgreen: (or a full for that matter, why are they so dang short?)
Ah, fair enough. Well, as long as they're not dorm-style bunk beds, I think I can deal with it. :P
You know you want W&M... I was waitlisted at GW, and was thinking about staying on it because I really would have liked to be in DC, but with the drop in rankings and the cost being nearly double, I withdrew.
W&M would only be slightly less expensive for me, so the decision is a bit tougher. Still, I really do prefer W&M as a school (size, atmosphere, etc.)... Or at least I think I do; I haven't visited, so it's hard to be sure, lol. I notice that you missed ASW too. Did you at least get to visit at some other point?
Galahad, I feel your pain. I put in my deposit at BU, but every once in a while I think I would like to be at W+M. I love both schools. BU would be an extra 30k for me all said and done (including living expenses, etc). I'm a northern boy, so thats whats been holding me back from W+M.

galahad85

Bronze

Post by galahad85 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:14 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
galahad85 wrote:
texas08 wrote:
galahad85 wrote:What's so bad about their on-campus housing? That's actually what I was planning on doing.
haha, I left out the most important part. I swore an oath to myself to never ever again sleep on an xl-twin bed. :mrgreen: (or a full for that matter, why are they so dang short?)
Ah, fair enough. Well, as long as they're not dorm-style bunk beds, I think I can deal with it. :P
You know you want W&M... I was waitlisted at GW, and was thinking about staying on it because I really would have liked to be in DC, but with the drop in rankings and the cost being nearly double, I withdrew.
W&M would only be slightly less expensive for me, so the decision is a bit tougher. Still, I really do prefer W&M as a school (size, atmosphere, etc.)... Or at least I think I do; I haven't visited, so it's hard to be sure, lol. I notice that you missed ASW too. Did you at least get to visit at some other point?
Galahad, I feel your pain. I put in my deposit at BU, but every once in a while I think I would like to be at W+M. I love both schools. BU would be an extra 30k for me all said and done (including living expenses, etc). I'm a northern boy, so thats whats been holding me back from W+M.
Are you still thinking of depositing at W&M before the 5/1 deadline?

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:19 pm

I might deposit.... unsure. I just wish W+M were in the NE/had more pull in the NE. The atmosphere/climate of the school to me is perfect for studying, etc.

lethe405

New

Post by lethe405 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:34 pm

guypal wrote:stupid question, but..
can we make a seat deposit online (after filling out the statement intention prompt), or do we have to physically send in the check?
As far as I can tell, you need to physically send in a check. Also, there's a form on the admitted students' site that you need to print and send along with it.

Fly

New

Post by Fly » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:03 pm

Blindmelon wrote:I might deposit.... unsure. I just wish W+M were in the NE/had more pull in the NE. The atmosphere/climate of the school to me is perfect for studying, etc.
Where in the NE are you looking to work? I don't know if you've seen my other thread, but I'm a 1L, and I had no problem getting interviews/offers with judges in the Philadelphia area for this summer. I also have a friend who got a decent amount of interviews/offers in NYC; she ended up accepting a gig with the U.S. Attorney's Office (not a very shabby 1L job). So, while W&M won't have the pull of a similarly ranked NY or Boston school in the NE, it certainly has some. If you do well, you won't have a problem getting a job in the NE. Something that might provide you some comfort is to go on NALP and look up alumni in your area. I was surprised how many W&M alums are in the Philadelphia area, to be honest. So, you may be surprised how many are in your area, too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:07 pm

I am not going to W&M, but I went there for undergrad and just wanted to say if anyone has any questions about the area or housing or anything I would be happy to answer questions. I have had a couple people PM me from the other W&M thread so I thought I'd extend the offer over here. Congrats!

dark

New

Post by dark » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:38 pm

Blindmelon wrote:Galahad, I feel your pain. I put in my deposit at BU, but every once in a while I think I would like to be at W+M. I love both schools. BU would be an extra 30k for me all said and done (including living expenses, etc). I'm a northern boy, so thats whats been holding me back from W+M.
I had this exact same quandary (W+M VS BU), and I happen to be from the Northeast (Boston area actually) and am interested in working there. I did visit W+M and found it a better fit for me. I've made my decision and am sending my deposit to W+M, but we should totally compare notes in three years :)
texas08 wrote:galahad85 wrote:
Ah, fair enough. Well, as long as they're not dorm-style bunk beds, I think I can deal with it.

Ugh, sharing bedrooms... another thing I will never ever do again unless it's with an SO. Luckily, at least in most grad schools, you are considered old enough to have your very own bedroom .
I checked out two different graduate dorms. They are more like small apartments, the beds are small but are not bunk beds and you do definately get your own room.

braun223

New

Post by braun223 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:08 pm

When I visited on accepted students day I thought the GradPlex was well received by my entire tour group. From the current students I talked to it seemed that everything was included except a few items - coffee pot, lamp, etc. I am not sure if I remember, but I think one student said they had to bring their own tv.

dark

New

Post by dark » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:53 pm

braun223 wrote:When I visited on accepted students day I thought the GradPlex was well received by my entire tour group. From the current students I talked to it seemed that everything was included except a few items - coffee pot, lamp, etc. I am not sure if I remember, but I think one student said they had to bring their own tv.
I was on one of those tours! I thought it was decent enough. Its a step down from my current 2 bdrm apartment (the units/bedrooms are really small), but its like 100 feet away from the library and the law school and I thought I heard its a little over $2500 per semester including basic utilities, internet, furnishings (couch, table, desk, chair, bed I seem to recall) and cable tv? They don't kick you out over the summer, and for a 10 or 12 month lease, that's like $500/month! I'll take it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Fly

New

Post by Fly » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:31 pm

I live in the Gradplex and will be living there again next year, so let me know if you have any questions.

pj2008

New

Post by pj2008 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:34 pm

Fly wrote:I live in the Gradplex and will be living there again next year, so let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks Fly for answering questions. What percentage of law students live in the Gradplex? Also, is it open year round or does it close like dorms during breaks?

dark

New

Post by dark » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:45 pm

It does not close on breaks, or during the summer if you signed for a 12 month lease (you can change from a 10 to a 12 month lease at any time). I asked while I was there.

I don't know what percentage of students in the law school live there, but I heard anecdotely that the gradplex is predominately law students.

Fly

New

Post by Fly » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:55 pm

I'm hesitant to give you a hard-and-fast percentage, but my guess would be that somewhere around 1/4 to 1/3 of 1L's live in the Gradplex. Not nearly as many 2 or 3L's live in the 'plex, though. So, 1L's are certainly the most well-represented contingent of W&M graduate students in the gradplex.

Although, when you fill out your preference form, you can ask to live with non-law students, which might not be a terrible idea. Too much law is bad for one's health.

And yeah, dark is right about breaks and such.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pj2008

New

Post by pj2008 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:40 am

not much interest in here I see. Sent in my seat deposit yesterday, see y'all this fall.

dark

New

Post by dark » Sat May 02, 2009 1:38 pm

Has anyone gotten a William and Mary Email address yet? (I haven't, but apparently some people might have)

soxfan08

New

Post by soxfan08 » Sat May 02, 2009 1:49 pm

dark wrote:Has anyone gotten a William and Mary Email address yet? (I haven't, but apparently some people might have)
I got mine about 2 weeks ago and set up my account. It came in a letter sent to my permanent address. The e-mail format is just first name middle initial last name @wm.edu. The letter gave a temporary password that is needed to sign up, then you change your password, so it probably is impossible to set up without the letter. I also sent in my deposit around 4/10 if that helps.

dark

New

Post by dark » Sat May 02, 2009 4:48 pm

I just sent in my deposit last Monday so I'll wait another week and see if anything shows up.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

texas08

New

Post by texas08 » Sun May 03, 2009 12:36 am

Blindmelon wrote:galahad85 wrote:
texas08 wrote:
galahad85 wrote:
What's so bad about their on-campus housing? That's actually what I was planning on doing.

haha, I left out the most important part. I swore an oath to myself to never ever again sleep on an xl-twin bed. (or a full for that matter, why are they so dang short?)

Ah, fair enough. Well, as long as they're not dorm-style bunk beds, I think I can deal with it.

Quote:

so... blindmelon, galahad... did you guys deposit at w&m or stick with where you already deposited?

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sun May 03, 2009 1:38 am

I ended up not depositing at W+M. As much as I love the school (its amazing and I really think I would be happy there), I liked BU more, and am more interested in ending up in the north. Hardest decision I had to make all cycle!

braun223

New

Post by braun223 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Wow. This thread has been quiet for long time. Anyways, has anyone else just started looking for housing?

Avocat Blanc

New

Post by Avocat Blanc » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:45 pm

braun223 wrote:Wow. This thread has been quiet for long time. Anyways, has anyone else just started looking for housing?
I'm looking now but so far nothing. Everyone has said to stay away from Merrimac Trail and I'm hoping not to pay the big bucks for New Town/High Street/etc. Doesn't help I'm looking for a 2bd. We'll see, if I'm still in this shape in 3 weeks I'll start worrying.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:11 pm

Avocat Blanc wrote:
braun223 wrote:Wow. This thread has been quiet for long time. Anyways, has anyone else just started looking for housing?
I'm looking now but so far nothing. Everyone has said to stay away from Merrimac Trail and I'm hoping not to pay the big bucks for New Town/High Street/etc. Doesn't help I'm looking for a 2bd. We'll see, if I'm still in this shape in 3 weeks I'll start worrying.
If you don't want to live in one of the self-proclaimed "luxury" developments, try Regency. They aren't the best but they are moderately priced and they are just off of Longhill Road, a couple of minutes from Newtown. The area is much better than Merrimac Trail. I lived a few complexes away at Spotswood which is expensive (as much as newtown) and not all that great.

braun223

New

Post by braun223 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:45 am

Got an email from residence life today saying that all rooms in the gradplex are taken. Anyone else going to be looking for a roommate?

EntertainMeLaw

New

Post by EntertainMeLaw » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:04 pm

I'll be looking for a roommate. Does anyone HAVE a place to live already and looking for people to fill a room? Would love to live walking distance to school and will pay for it...
I guess I should try the Bulletin too!

texas08

New

Post by texas08 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:00 pm

I'm glad to see people are finally posting on here again :D . If you sent in your stuff by July 1st, your schedule should be up; I just got mine! I'm still in the process of looking for housing, and I really just want to find something and not have to worry about it anymore.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”