W&M Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
texas08

New

Re: W&M Class of 2012

Post by texas08 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:00 am

Fly wrote:Oh, one quick tip. In law camp, they're going to teach you how to "brief" cases. Do NOT follow their method. Seriously. It is a huge waste of time. They tell you to include a bunch of unnecessary stuff like the citation, the question presented, the dicta, etc. When you brief cases, all you need is a brief summary of the facts and a brief statement of the ruling/reasoning. In civil procedure, you'll want to include procedural history, but that doesn't matter in other classes. For those of you who have Dodson, you'll hear this rant again live, in person, but it's important, dag nabbit!
ooo this is good to know! i really hate it when you spend a bunch of time learning something only to find out you don't really need it :evil:

braun223

New

Post by braun223 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:11 pm

Anyone know if the 500 building of the gradplex is renovated?

Displeased

Bronze

Post by Displeased » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:10 pm

Did we have any required reading for the week of Law Camp? I vaguely remember getting a book list along with the orientation week schedule, but I can't find that e-mail now.....

texas08

New

Post by texas08 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:30 am

Displeased wrote:Did we have any required reading for the week of Law Camp? I vaguely remember getting a book list along with the orientation week schedule, but I can't find that e-mail now.....
I believe they recommended that we read Plain English for Lawyers, and maybe some of the other writing books prior to starting... and I know that they specifically said not to read one of them, but I don't recall which one. If you want another copy of the e-mail just PM me your e-mail address and I'll forward it to you.
braun223 wrote:Anyone know if the 500 building of the gradplex is renovated?
Nope. I'm living in an apartment off-campus. I can't believe I'm so close to moving!

Displeased

Bronze

Post by Displeased » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:57 pm

texas08 wrote:
Displeased wrote:Did we have any required reading for the week of Law Camp? I vaguely remember getting a book list along with the orientation week schedule, but I can't find that e-mail now.....
I believe they recommended that we read Plain English for Lawyers, and maybe some of the other writing books prior to starting... and I know that they specifically said not to read one of them, but I don't recall which one. If you want another copy of the e-mail just PM me your e-mail address and I'll forward it to you.
Thanks for the quick response. I found a copy of the orientation schedule on the my.wm.edu site, but I could have sworn that the e-mail mentioned some recommended reading. If its just a couple of writing books, I'm not that worried.

Methinks I'm starting to get the jitters. I can't wait to start, but there's also a healthy dose of performance anxiety mixed in there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

texas08

New

Post by texas08 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:10 pm

Displeased wrote:Thanks for the quick response. I found a copy of the orientation schedule on the my.wm.edu site, but I could have sworn that the e-mail mentioned some recommended reading. If its just a couple of writing books, I'm not that worried.

Methinks I'm starting to get the jitters. I can't wait to start, but there's also a healthy dose of performance anxiety mixed in there.
I think most of us are at least a little nervous :D . Maybe we can have a get-together for all of us TLS'ers once we get up there. I'll be there about the 10th.

dark

New

Post by dark » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:33 pm

texas08 wrote:Maybe we can have a get-together for all of us TLS'ers once we get up there.
Haha, I'd show up for that. I'm coming on the 15th though...

Don't think there is any required reading for law camp outside of the optional "Plain English for Lawyers"

Has anyone bought books for classes yet? I haven't really gotten any, but several people on the facebook page say they've gotten them despite the schedules not being finalized.

EntertainMeLaw

New

Post by EntertainMeLaw » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:14 pm

dark wrote:
texas08 wrote: Has anyone bought books for classes yet? I haven't really gotten any, but several people on the facebook page say they've gotten them despite the schedules not being finalized.
I am basically holding off on buying books, just as they have suggested us to do(minus that suggested reading for 'camp,' which I am hoping at least to look over before next Monday once I receive it.)

I'll pay premium this first semester to make sure I have just what I need. I'm sure we will all have a better idea for next semester.

texas08

New

Post by texas08 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:03 pm

hey guys! i PM'd most of you who i think have said they are attending for sure, but just so i don't miss anyone... a group of us are going out tomorrow (thursday) night in williamsburg (and possible some other nights this weekend) so if you are here just PM me your number or name and i'll call you/facebook message you with details!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”