Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
phooey182

Bronze

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Post by phooey182 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:48 pm

anacbanana wrote:
phooey182 wrote:
dapoetic1 wrote:Yeah, blanket email. I emailed my immunization to Health Services, and then forwarded the email from them saying I was in compliance.

But since clearly you don't have your immunization stuff done--then yeah...call your doc :D
Stupid doctors! I called around the area, and the doctors wont do immunization and titer testing without me first becoming their 'patient' which means a physical and increased cost. I e-mailed Rutgers Health Services to see if they knew of anyplace that would just do the required testing without a lot of paperwork and exams. It's just a blood test! I really hate the hoops they make you jump through.
Rutgers Health Services will do the titer test for you. You don't really need it in right away, just before grades come out in January, otherwise they block your access to grades. The Health Center is only a couple blocks from the law school, so it's easy to do between classes once you get there.
I found a super nice doctor's office that did the test for me today, I get results next week. No fuss, no muss.

I like the idea of just a walk-in doctor's office where you can get the treatment you need without a lot of trouble. My friend's old classmate is starting sort of a franchise operation for walk-in medical care so you don't have to go to the Emergency Room. I think it's a really interesting concept which might lower the cost of healthcare. They compare it to what Poppa John's did for pizza..

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industrie ... hise_N.htm

bobothecat

New

Post by bobothecat » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:43 pm

Any current students here who would know when actual exam schedule comes out (not the 3 week period they provide us on the calendar)? I need to start thinking about when to take time off from work for study/exam and request accordingly. Thanks in advance!

anacbanana

New

Post by anacbanana » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:52 pm

bobothecat wrote:Any current students here who would know when actual exam schedule comes out (not the 3 week period they provide us on the calendar)? I need to start thinking about when to take time off from work for study/exam and request accordingly. Thanks in advance!
Here's an in-depth chart for all classes

http://law.newark.rutgers.edu/files/u/C ... Fall09.xls

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:17 pm

Hey i got Track II (1).

bobothecat

New

Post by bobothecat » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:22 pm

anacbanana wrote:
bobothecat wrote:Any current students here who would know when actual exam schedule comes out (not the 3 week period they provide us on the calendar)? I need to start thinking about when to take time off from work for study/exam and request accordingly. Thanks in advance!
Here's an in-depth chart for all classes

http://law.newark.rutgers.edu/files/u/C ... Fall09.xls
Thank you so much!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bobothecat

New

Post by bobothecat » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:25 pm

phooey182 wrote:Hey i got Track II (1).
were you able to see the booklist she talked about? I dont see it!

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:33 pm

bobothecat wrote:
Blackboard isn't letting me log in. Was anyone else able to log in?

Yeesh I reformatted and printed out my schedule. It appears we have the following class scheduled (per week)
check my math if you like

Contracts - 6 Hours 15 minutes
Property - 5 Hours
Crim Law - 3 Hours 45 minutes
Torts - 5 Hours
LR&W - 1 Hour 15 minutes
----------------------------
Total (in-class time): 21 hours 15 minutes
Last edited by phooey182 on Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

k.e.l.l.y

New

Post by k.e.l.l.y » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:18 pm

phooey182 wrote:
bobothecat wrote:
I'm not getting into Blackboard either.

On a sidenote to those living on-campus, under your profile at my.rutgers.edu, you'll see that your home address may be updated to reflect your room assignment.

sergris

New

Post by sergris » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:49 pm

I got the track, but there is nothing on my blackboard...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:07 pm

I'm Track VI Section 12
I just looked at the PDF on the entering students website to figure out my schedule
It appears that Section VI does not have contracts or Con Law Fall semester

I can't figure out how to long onto blackboard. It's not taking my netID and password
On the Rutgers portal it shows that I don't have any classes so maybe they're not actually loaded into the computer. I'm sure the process of loading us in for courses and out term bills is all related. I think they just sent us the track/section and the PDF so we didn't have to wait for that to be loaded and we could start figuring out our schedules now.

I'm really excited about my schedule it's perfect for me! I have plenty of time in the mornings to put on a happy face, and get some coffee. You don't want to be with me in Track VI if I don't get my coffee :lol:

I just reread Dean Walton's email and it's says they will begin to pre-register us next week so I'll bet that's when the blackboard will show up.

ATTN TRACKS IV and VI: I think there is a mistake in the schedule. I've sent Dean Walton and email asking her. But it appears where track VI should have Contracts with Saffrin they have that listed as Track IV. But track IV has Property with Ball at that time. I"m pretty sure that Track IV does have property and track VI has contracts because Saffrin is a Track VI professor.
Last edited by dapoetic1 on Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

losjeans

New

Post by losjeans » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:13 pm

Looks like we are in the same class for Torts, Prop, and Crim law
dapoetic1 wrote:I'm Track VI Section 12
I just looked at the PDF on the entering students website to figure out my schedule

I can't figure out how to long onto blackboard. It's not taking my netID and password
On the Rutgers portal it shows that I don't have any classes so maybe they're not actually loaded into the computer. I'm sure the process of loading us in for courses and out term bills is all related. I think they just sent us the track/section and the PDF so we didn't have to wait for that to be loaded and we could start figuring out our schedules now.

I'm really excited about my schedule it's perfect for me! I have plenty of time in the mornings to put on a happy face, and get some coffee. You don't want to be with me in Track VI if I don't get my coffee :lol:

I just reread Dean Walton's email and it's says they will begin to pre-register us next week so I'll bet that's when the blackboard will show up.

nic_john

New

Post by nic_john » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:45 pm

losjeans wrote:Looks like we are in the same class for Torts, Prop, and Crim law
dapoetic1 wrote:I'm Track VI Section 12

I just read the blackboard login page, and it says that you need to be registered for classes and have a netID, so we should be able to log in once we get pre-registered. Im so excited! Everything is finally coming together... Im in track V(8).

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:34 am

Holy Crap!!! :shock:
I was just checking out the Indiana (Bloomington) thread and they were saying that IU is increasing out of state tuition by an additional 7.5% on top of the current increase. It sounds like there's almost a 16% increase planned for the next 2 years. And the in-state tuition is being raised about 20% from what I remember.

I always knew Rutgers was a great school, and it was a great price for in state and out of state and they have very flexible and reasonable measures to get in-state tuition, but compared other public tier 1 law schools Rutgers seems like chump change. And I am SO grateful for that. I am so glad I decided not to attend IU.
I think they're caught up in their own hype about raising so high in the rankings this year. And normally I really try not to talk badly about a school because ultimately that school is the right choice for someone even though it's not for me; but, what in the world is IU thinking? Out of state tuition was more than $36k last year. For what they're charging I could just as soon attend Michigan or Virginia if I'm going to pay private school prices for public school name (and I say name and not education because I don't think there's much of a discrepancy between public and private law schools)
Sorry Indiana--I just don't see it.
At what Rutgers cost to attend for 3 years even if I had to take out loans to cover the amount I am more than comfortable knowing that I would graduate with a manageable amount of debt that would allow me to work in whichever legal path I'm led to. Not so sure that's the case at IU.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bobothecat

New

Post by bobothecat » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:46 am

phooey182 wrote:
bobothecat wrote:

Yeesh I reformatted and printed out my schedule. It appears we have the following class scheduled (per week)

Property - 5 Hours
Torts - 5 Hours
LR&W - 1 Hour 15 minutes
That's odd. For the part time section, Torts and Contracts come up to 4 hours each a week..I thought FT and PT cover the same amount of material per class/semester..

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:24 am

bobothecat wrote:
phooey182 wrote:
bobothecat wrote:

Property - 5 Hours
Torts - 5 Hours
LR&W - 1 Hour 15 minutes
That's odd. For the part time section, Torts and Contracts come up to 4 hours each a week..I thought FT and PT cover the same amount of material per class/semester..
There's some discrepancies on the schedule. I emailed Anita late on Friday, I don't expect an answer until next week. But I pointed out how some of the section have more hours in certain subject than other sections.

anacbanana

New

Post by anacbanana » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:25 pm

Essentially the number of hours you have per class per week is the number of credits. So, Contracts, Torts, Property are 4 hours, Crim is 3 hours. However, each class period is 1:15, so most teachers for the first few week will have class all 4 (or 3 for Crim) days a week to get days in the bank, and then you'll only have each class 3/week. My Crim teacher had us have 1:15 class the first couple weeks 3/week, and then he switched to 1 hour 3/week. Another Crim class only met 2/week after banking some days. It'll depend on your teacher, but the rule of thumb is the number of credits=number of hours/week.

maxima099

New

Post by maxima099 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:01 pm

I'm in section IV and I'm really confused lol

But I don't really care either, I just got my new laptop and I can't wait for the Fall semester!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

afterglow99

New

Post by afterglow99 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:20 pm

dapoetic1 wrote:Holy Crap!!! :shock:
I was just checking out the Indiana (Bloomington) thread and they were saying that IU is increasing out of state tuition by an additional 7.5% on top of the current increase. It sounds like there's almost a 16% increase planned for the next 2 years. And the in-state tuition is being raised about 20% from what I remember.

I always knew Rutgers was a great school, and it was a great price for in state and out of state and they have very flexible and reasonable measures to get in-state tuition, but compared other public Tier 1 law schools Rutgers seems like chump change. And I am SO grateful for that. I am so glad I decided not to attend IU.
I think they're caught up in their own hype about raising so high in the rankings this year. And normally I really try not to talk badly about a school because ultimately that school is the right choice for someone even though it's not for me; but, what in the world is IU thinking? Out of state tuition was more than $36k last year. For what they're charging I could just as soon attend Michigan or Virginia if I'm going to pay private school prices for public school name (and I say name and not education because I don't think there's much of a discrepancy between public and private law schools)
Sorry Indiana--I just don't see it.
At what Rutgers cost to attend for 3 years even if I had to take out loans to cover the amount I am more than comfortable knowing that I would graduate with a manageable amount of debt that would allow me to work in whichever legal path I'm led to. Not so sure that's the case at IU.
I was THIS close to heading to Indiana, but ended up feeling the exact same way. It's hard to pass up Rutgers for half the price. BTW, anyone else in Track V (7)?

nicoolie

New

Post by nicoolie » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:38 pm

Anyone else slightly confused by the schedule? Everything seems to work out okay but then Friday there's 2 II Sections of Property (on w Ball and one w Simmons)? Do we just stick w our professors on track assignments? Property (For me) is Ball every other day.

I'm Track II (2). Anyone else?

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:02 pm

nicoolie wrote:Anyone else slightly confused by the schedule? Everything seems to work out okay but then Friday there's 2 II Sections of Property (on w Ball and one w Simmons)? Do we just stick w our professors on track assignments? Property (For me) is Ball every other day.

In Dean Walton's email did she say something about some tracks following a block schedule? Maybe you have 2 periods of those classes. It looks like on Monday your track also has back to back periods of contracts? IDK that does seem a little confusing although she said it would.
Your schedule doesn't look anything like mine. I've put it on an excel sheet and it makes perfect sense. With one exception being I think there was a typo with track IV and VI when it came to the contracts but based on which professors track VI had it was kind of easy to figure out,

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:21 pm

nicoolie wrote:Anyone else slightly confused by the schedule? Everything seems to work out okay but then Friday there's 2 II Sections of Property (on w Ball and one w Simmons)? Do we just stick w our professors on track assignments? Property (For me) is Ball every other day.

I'm Track II (1)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

instant83

New

Post by instant83 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:38 pm

Yeah I'm also track II (2). I brought up that discrepency and phooey182 said it has been brought to Dean Walton's attention. Hopefully she'll clear it up for us early next week.

losjeans

New

Post by losjeans » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:41 pm

afterglow99 wrote:
dapoetic1 wrote:BTW, anyone else in Track V (7)?
yep.

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:59 pm

Dean Walton's going to think we're the most retarded incoming 1L class ever.
She's going to open up a bunch of emails on monday about how we're all too stupid to read our schedules. :lol:

bayberrymoon

New

Post by bayberrymoon » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:56 am

instant83 wrote:

Yeah I'm also track II (2). I brought up that discrepency and phooey182 said it has been brought to Dean Walton's attention. Hopefully she'll clear it up for us early next week.
Track II (2) also. Hey section mates :D
Last edited by bayberrymoon on Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”