Big Law Transferring Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
narfkarta

Bronze

Big Law Transferring

Post by narfkarta » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:53 pm

Last edited by narfkarta on Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pany1985

Bronze

Re: Big Law Transferring

Post by pany1985 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:00 pm

I don't know. I would imagine that it'd be easier moving between locations in the same firm than moving to another firm entirely, but that's just an assumption.

Supernana

New

Post by Supernana » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:12 pm

Yes, transfering is possible. It might be easier at some firms than others. Some firms might make you wait until there is an opening (ie. they are looking to hire a lateral) or they might make it easier for strong performers and harder for weaker performers. I would imagine it would be harder in this economy. Last year I was working for a big firm and knew several associates who had changed offices. I also knew an associate who wanted to change offices, but the firm said they couldn't accomodate him.

Cole S. Law

Bronze

Post by Cole S. Law » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:15 pm

Depends on the firm. My friend and his wife are both Biglaw at different firms. He was transfered (involuntarily) to DC. Her firm allowed her to transfer to their DC branch no questions asked after she tied off her ongoing work projects. I had a different friend who worked in Tampa and wanted to follow his mentor to the Atlanta office, but his firm wouldn't even consider it. Hope you like anecdotes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”