Tulane 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
jas167

New

Tulane 2012

Post by jas167 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:46 pm

So does anyone know the best housing locations in New Orleans?

midwesterner

New

Re: Tulane 2012

Post by midwesterner » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:58 pm

Sweet! This thread makes attendance in the fall feel "official."

CassieRae

New

Post by CassieRae » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:32 pm

midwesterner wrote:Sweet! This thread makes attendance in the fall feel "official."
Agreed! I am anxiously counting down till ASD too!

jas167

New

Post by jas167 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:12 pm

You guys going to the March 6th ASD? I registered but never received a confirmation email.

midwesterner

New

Post by midwesterner » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:13 pm

jas167 wrote:You guys going to the March 6th ASD? I registered but never received a confirmation email.
No... I'm going to the March 20th :( Seems like everyone is going to the 6th. I wish I could go earlier - the wait is already killing me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nkrienke32

New

Post by nkrienke32 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:18 pm

Going to the March 6th event. I called them yesterday to ask what hotel they recommend...the lady (Erin?) said the International House was where they recommend but she also said she was going to be sending out a mass email that morning telling everyone how to get a discounted rate for ASDs, but I never received it. Did anyone get this email or is maybe a discount not in the cards after all? Either way it kicks ass that they will reimburse your flight and the hotel is two blocks from the French Quarter.

jas167

New

Post by jas167 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:52 pm

I didn't get the email either. In fact, I called Erin today, and she told me she'd resend it to me, and I still didn't get it. So, maybe there's a problem with the email.

ck80

New

Post by ck80 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:27 pm

I live in New Orleans. There is no "good area" to live, its a checkerboard city, and requires you to change your living habits to be here safely - no walking around alone at night, and ideally not at all even in larger groups in some areas.

Areas uptown nearer the school are safer than some others, but that's just relative meaning most of the bodies are found in mid-city. Uptown its more just armed robberies, assaults, and thefts. There's a reason we trumped even Detroit in crime rankings to become #1 in the nation this past year. Its just a question of being smart with what you do and how you do it, and not driving around alone late at night or anything....

Definitely fun, and a good experience, but depending where you come from its a BIG adjustment. Best rentals are found walking around looking for signs on buildings, not so much through craigslist or papers...

nianlong

New

Post by nianlong » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:01 pm

Thanks for sharing, ck80. Do you think Uptown is less safe than commercial parts of other big cities? I was under the impression that the higher-than-most crime rate is primarily due to lawlessness in the "bad" neighborhoods.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CassieRae

New

Post by CassieRae » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:52 pm

ck80 wrote:I live in New Orleans. There is no "good area" to live, its a checkerboard city, and requires you to change your living habits to be here safely - no walking around alone at night, and ideally not at all even in larger groups in some areas.

Definitely fun, and a good experience, but depending where you come from its a BIG adjustment. Best rentals are found walking around looking for signs on buildings, not so much through craigslist or papers...
oh, thanks for that tip! how quickly does the nice housing go? im from FSU and people sign leases before the fall semester even ends so i'm just wondering if after our ASD I should get right on it or if I can wait till maybe april? thanks!

CassieRae

New

Post by CassieRae » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:56 pm

midwesterner wrote:
jas167 wrote:You guys going to the March 6th ASD? I registered but never received a confirmation email.
No... I'm going to the March 20th :( Seems like everyone is going to the 6th. I wish I could go earlier - the wait is already killing me.
no worries, ill fill you in completely so you know what to look forward to!

midwesterner

New

Post by midwesterner » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:08 pm

CassieRae wrote:
midwesterner wrote:
no worries, ill fill you in completely so you know what to look forward to!
Thanks Cassie Rae - you rock!

ck80

New

Post by ck80 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:05 pm

Depends which big city you are talking about. Part of the problem is the roving criminals because the bad and good areas are mixed up block by block, house by house. Its not separated into good and bad neighborhoods like alot of other areas. Uptown is clearly safer than other area of this city, or say Camden in NJ for example.

Here's a useful website that you can use, its from the NOPD.

--LinkRemoved--

you type in an address, broadway, freret, and willow street are all useful to pinpoint areas. If you type in 7120 willow for example, you get the corner which displays a couple mile radius circle that contains the uptown area alot of UG students live in, as well as law students. Down at the bottom you can adjust the dates covered, I think default is for a period of about 1 month. It gives you an idea of what crimes were reported but doesnt cover things that never got sent in to the police....

If you put in say, 8/14/08 through present, pretending you wanted to see what happened since the start of last semester, you'd see that in the "relatively safe" area there were a bit under 450 crimes reported to the NOPD for that area, mostly thefts and break-ins. Alot of that could have been avoided by people if they were a bit smarter about how they moved through the city. Have to remember, overall there are about a quarter million people in Metro New Orleans.

It's not uncommon for the thug types to drive around in a car then pull over and lean out with a gun when they see someone alone or an isolated small group of people.

As far as "nice" housing goes, it all depends how cheap you want, and how close to the school you want. Also on your version of nice. The cheapest decent places go pretty quick. Alot of those have leases that expire in May and they don't say open for long after that. Alot of the landlords do not advertise places in advance, just put up a sign once people are moving out. Right now, there have been a few more open places throughout the year than in previous times, perhaps from the economic situation I can only imagine. I'd think april/may would probably work, but, alot of places dont get a sign put up until people have moved out by the same token.

One thing to remember, this city isn't built for cold weather - buildings are NOT insulated, and you will see electrical wiring/pipes on the outsides of walls on the exterior of buildings. If you go ground floor, your floors will get cold when the brief cold weather rolls through from TX, and if your only heat is one small wall-mounted gas unit it might struggle on high to keep the place around 60* for that brief day or two. Just plan accordingly.

To put a lighter spin on things though, I did catch about 10-15# of beads at one parade last night, and tonight theres a few that start rolling around 5:45... so there are good things about being here as well :lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thucydides

New

Post by thucydides » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:01 pm

ck80 wrote: It's not uncommon for the thug types to drive around in a car then pull over and lean out with a gun when they see someone alone or an isolated small group of people.
Uh... really? That sounds pretty scary. Is it really that bad?

CassieRae

New

Post by CassieRae » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:51 pm

thucydides wrote:
ck80 wrote: It's not uncommon for the thug types to drive around in a car then pull over and lean out with a gun when they see someone alone or an isolated small group of people.
Uh... really? That sounds pretty scary. Is it really that bad?
Well I just feel unsafe now! I think I'll risk it for Tulane though ;)

jas167

New

Post by jas167 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:12 pm

You know what? I've never heard that before. Everyone who has been to New Orleans for school that I've talked to tells me they love it. I have heard of murders ocurring there, but from what I understand 98% are drug related.

CassieRae

New

Post by CassieRae » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:02 am

jas167 wrote:You know what? I've never heard that before. Everyone who has been to New Orleans for school that I've talked to tells me they love it. I have heard of murders ocurring there, but from what I understand 98% are drug related.
Well yes everyone loves it! But that's probably what makes it unsafe. VERY unsafe, it is.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nianlong

New

Post by nianlong » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:29 am

Well yes everyone loves it! But that's probably what makes it unsafe. VERY unsafe, it is.
What do you mean?

And here's another question: If parking in New Orleans, especially around the school, is difficult, the street cars are unreliable, and since it is apparently unsafe to walk around the city alone, how exactly do students travel within the city?

thucydides

New

Post by thucydides » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:37 pm

Is anyone going to be at the March 20 ASD?

CassieRae

New

Post by CassieRae » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:02 pm

nianlong wrote:
What do you mean?

And here's another question: If parking in New Orleans, especially around the school, is difficult, the street cars are unreliable, and since it is apparently unsafe to walk around the city alone, how exactly do students travel within the city?
I meant b/c people flock there for the fun, being careless about their safety.

And I'm not really sure how people travel. I ride the street car when I'm there and it's been fine for me :/ I also recommend finding a place with parking or close to campus. Kinda nervous about that myself.

broadhead

New

Post by broadhead » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:06 pm

nianlong wrote:
What do you mean?

i'm a new orleans native who's lived in some other cities, and i'm happy to answer questions. (i'm also considering joining the tulane class of 2012.)

i just want to say real quick that while i'm all for caution, especially since some people will be coming to town from very different places, my opinion is that this thread's vibe is unnecessarily fear-producing. the only crime my family and i have experienced in 20+ years in the tulane neighborhood is the time my bike got stolen... because i left it unlocked in the park while i flirted with a girl. so.

to answer this particular question, i think new orleans is a good bike city, esp. for tulane students. buses and streetcars work too (i used to ride the bus to my job downtown--if you budget a few extra minutes and use the schedules, you won't have a problem). but a lot of this stuff has to do with what you're used to. if you're coming from nyc, you'll be appalled by the public transportation but pleasantly surprised by the weather/atmosphere/safety. if you're coming from someplace more rural, it might be the reverse.

by all means look at the nopd crime maps - a great tool. but if you find yourself getting freaked out, be sure to check on your current campus's crime stats (if like most people you don't do that regularly). you might be surprised... and i think you'll see that tulane students are very safe and that the crime situation is comparable to (if not better than) most any other major university campus.

edit to add: the nopd found and returned my bike.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

the rural juror

New

Post by the rural juror » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:12 pm

I'm going to register for the March 6th ASW tonight :) I hope to see you guys there!

saar

New

Post by saar » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:17 pm

Anyone for the April ASD??? I think that's when I am coming!

nianlong

New

Post by nianlong » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:52 pm

Thanks for sharing, broadhead. That make me feel a lot better. Could you answer a couple more for me?

1. Doesn't it rain often in New Orleans? If I bike everyday, how often will I get drenched?

2. My wife is a nurse. Which hospitals around town would you recommend? Oschner seems pretty nice, but would it be a pain to drive there from the Tulane area?

broadhead

New

Post by broadhead » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:47 pm

nianlong wrote:Thanks for sharing, broadhead. That make me feel a lot better. Could you answer a couple more for me?

1. Doesn't it rain often in New Orleans? If I bike everyday, how often will I get drenched?

2. My wife is a nurse. Which hospitals around town would you recommend? Oschner seems pretty nice, but would it be a pain to drive there from the Tulane area?
1. i used to bike to school, and i don't remember any major drenchings. actually i think the weather forecasters do pretty well here, so that simplifies things.

2. i think touro and children's are both well-regarded but i'm no expert. worth looking into anyway - and the locations are convenient enough, i would think. i heard something recently about children's merging with another hospital, but i can't remember which one.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”