Tulane 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Aqualibrium

Gold

Re: Tulane 2012

Post by Aqualibrium » Sun May 10, 2009 10:17 pm

lsb wrote:I just have a general question for all of you that have decided on Tulane: What made you choose Tulane? I would really like to hear more about this school. By the way, despite what people say about the location having a lot of crime, I think Louisiana would be an awesome place to live for a few years.

I think location is a big factor....beyond the obvious reasons, imo, going to Tulane puts you in a position to work in markets that have not been hit as hard by this slump. It's reputation also creates an opportunity (with good grades and leg work)to work in larger legal markets....it's not a guarantee they you'll be vying for the top jobs in NY or DC, but at least you know your school's name wont hurt your chances.

Young NOLA Baybee

New

Post by Young NOLA Baybee » Mon May 11, 2009 6:15 am

CassieRae wrote: im sorry to bring the bad news but sounds like you probably have a fairly interesting story regarding the hate towards fb?
Oh, it's not a difficult story to tell, really.

Just two words: clingy girls.

Young NOLA Baybee

New

Post by Young NOLA Baybee » Mon May 11, 2009 6:32 am

lsb wrote:I just have a general question for all of you that have decided on Tulane: What made you choose Tulane? I would really like to hear more about this school. By the way, despite what people say about the location having a lot of crime, I think Louisiana would be an awesome place to live for a few years.
I think Louisiana would be an awesome place to live for a few years.
Question asked and answered. 8)

Tulane is sort of a happy medium. Like the dean said, if you can get into Tulane you probably have other options. Schools that accept similar applicants to Tulane include Fordham, Boston U, Boston C, Cardozo, etc.

Like most schools in the 18-50 range, these schools are mostly regional. The problem is that the region they are in is by far the most competitive. This is a generalization, of course, but a graduate from Fordham is stuck in NY forever. Do I want to be stuck competing with every T14 graduate in the only region my JD is viable? Well, I decided "no."

Tulane feels like a bizarre anomaly. As a regional power, it seems to do well for itself. The competition for Louisiana jobs will be fierce, I'm sure, but I'm guessing that will be more of a Tulane/LSU/Loyola battle than anything. For the most part, I don't anticipate worrying about swarms of Columbia and UChicago grads flying down to snatch up jobs in the NOLA market. Tulane benefits from being a regional power in a fairly isolated region.

The school also has a semi-national reach that is completely out of place given its less-than-stellar ranking. I don't know why that is, but with only 30% of its students remaining in Louisiana it looks like it travels way better than most other JDs ranked 20-50. While I don't understand this, it does give some of its graduates options. The lucky bastards (not me) who finish on law review will probably find alumni in NY that are able to place them just as well as the top kids from Fordham or Cardozo. And if they decide they don't want to go to the Mid-Atlantic? Well, they can try the alumni in Cali. Or Wash. Or Atlanta. Or they can just snatch up a NOLA job.

Between their position as the top school in a less competitive legal market and their widely dispersed alumni network, Tulane didn't seem like a bad option. Include the fact that it's located in one of the greatest cities on Earth and you've got yourself a pretty desirable school.
Last edited by Young NOLA Baybee on Mon May 11, 2009 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Young NOLA Baybee

New

Post by Young NOLA Baybee » Mon May 11, 2009 6:42 am

Also this is what I saw when I entered their financial aid office:
--ImageRemoved--

Young NOLA Baybee

New

Post by Young NOLA Baybee » Mon May 11, 2009 6:45 am

And on a related note, Tulane was just named the #2 Party Law School.

Rankings here: --LinkRemoved--

2nd Overall
1st Nights Spent Out
1st Overall Alcohol Consumption
1st Happiest Student Body

We're one point behind Arizona State. You guys better not let me down next year. 8)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lsb

Bronze

Post by lsb » Mon May 11, 2009 12:37 pm

Young NOLA Baybee wrote:Also this is what I saw when I entered their financial aid office:
--ImageRemoved--
:lol:

lsb

Bronze

Post by lsb » Mon May 11, 2009 12:40 pm

According to Wikipedia (great source, right?), Tulane is on a mission to gradually decrease the number of incoming 1Ls. Have you all found that you had to have at least numbers at the median get an acceptance?

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Mon May 11, 2009 12:47 pm

lsb wrote:According to Wikipedia (great source, right?), Tulane is on a mission to gradually decrease the number of incoming 1Ls. Have you all found that you had to have at least numbers at the median get an acceptance?

Yeah the 1L class has been larger in the past.

As far as stats I think you need to be at the median in one or the other (lsat/gpa) to have a good shot.

lsb

Bronze

Post by lsb » Mon May 11, 2009 12:56 pm

One more question: Does Tulane offer ED?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Young NOLA Baybee

New

Post by Young NOLA Baybee » Mon May 11, 2009 1:06 pm

I don't think they offer ED. But they make up for it with no hard deadline!

As for increased selectivity:
25th: 159
75th:163

25th: 3.35
75th: 3.75

The bottom 25% of the class had LSAT scores between 146 and 158, and the top 25% had LSAT scores between 164 and 176.
I'm in the middle 50% on GPA and Top25% on LSAT and I got way too much money, so it doesn't FEEL that much more selective this year. But you might be able to get a better idea of the stats of who is getting in and who isn't based on the waitlist thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... start=1025

Are you looking at Tulane for next year?

lsb

Bronze

Post by lsb » Mon May 11, 2009 1:09 pm

Young NOLA Baybee wrote:I don't think they offer ED. But they make up for it with no hard deadline!

The bottom 25% of the class had LSAT scores between 146 and 158, and the top 25% had LSAT scores between 164 and 176.
I'm in the middle 50% on GPA and Top25% on LSAT and I got way too much money, so it doesn't FEEL that much more selective this year. But you might be able to get a better idea of the stats of who is getting in and who isn't based on the waitlist thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... start=1025

Yes

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Mon May 11, 2009 1:11 pm

Young NOLA Baybee wrote:I don't think they offer ED. But they make up for it with no hard deadline!

I don't think they've gotten more selective...they've just reduced the physical size of incoming classes.

davefromfl

New

Post by davefromfl » Mon May 11, 2009 1:20 pm

Hi. I don't mean to change the topic, but has anyone received a check from Tulane for their visiting day travel stipend? I went to the March 20 date and still have not gotten anything back, and I mailed everything off 6 weeks ago.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bigtex8

New

Post by bigtex8 » Mon May 11, 2009 1:21 pm

#2 party law school? that seems like a challenge to reach #1. im coming from UT, so i can confirm that it takes year long dedication to earn the #1 party school ranking. hopefully some of yall are up for the challenge. my admitted student day was full of people more worried about what time the library closed :(

dholyghozt

New

Post by dholyghozt » Mon May 11, 2009 1:29 pm

davefromfl wrote:Hi. I don't mean to change the topic, but has anyone received a check from Tulane for their visiting day travel stipend? I went to the March 20 date and still have not gotten anything back, and I mailed everything off 6 weeks ago.
nope i am actually about to email them about this...

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Mon May 11, 2009 1:31 pm

dholyghozt wrote:
davefromfl wrote:Hi. I don't mean to change the topic, but has anyone received a check from Tulane for their visiting day travel stipend? I went to the March 20 date and still have not gotten anything back, and I mailed everything off 6 weeks ago.
nope i am actually about to email them about this...

+1

CassieRae

New

Post by CassieRae » Mon May 11, 2009 1:34 pm

Young NOLA Baybee wrote:
CassieRae wrote: im sorry to bring the bad news but sounds like you probably have a fairly interesting story regarding the hate towards fb?
Oh, it's not a difficult story to tell, really.

Just two words: clingy girls.
oh please! lets talk about the guys... within 50 steps of leaving the ASD, a group of undergrad boys whispered to each other, then one brave one shouted a holla and asked me to go to happy hour. please tell me that doesnt work. although of review of this memory, maybe i've proved you right and the girls ARE that easy..... but that alone is odd b/c the ratio is about 45829345 men to 5 females.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CassieRae

New

Post by CassieRae » Mon May 11, 2009 1:42 pm

lsb wrote:According to Wikipedia (great source, right?), Tulane is on a mission to gradually decrease the number of incoming 1Ls. Have you all found that you had to have at least numbers at the median get an acceptance?
The decrease is a good thing; more attn in the battlefield of law school is going to get you much farther.

And as a below the median (lsat) gal, ahem, no. Although I had 3.8 gpa but I got a puny scholarship so ya know, if money is an issue, consider deeply tour $70 app fee before sending it. However, I applied VERY early. Many above the median arent in and they applied "early" as well (my app was complete by mid oct). you'll find though that many will tell you out of anger that you need way over the median to get in b/c they didnt with their relatively stellar scores. It's clear now that they had some mishaps this year with their switch to purely electronic application procedures which left some qualified applicants in the dust (but some lucky few like me snuck in :wink: ). I'm sure things will return to normal next yr (which is when im gathering you are considering to apply) with a probably less than fair chance of sneaking in with below median. And by the way, my gathering from LSN, etc seems to say Tulane rewards LSAT over gpa. a 160 vs my 159 got many MUCH higher scholarhsips despite their below-median GPAs.

CassieRae

New

Post by CassieRae » Mon May 11, 2009 1:45 pm

eek, i got my check about 4 weeks later? i called to verify that they received my request. you might want to do the same

nianlong

New

Post by nianlong » Mon May 11, 2009 1:50 pm

I haven't got my check yet either. Went to april 3 ASD.
Last edited by nianlong on Mon May 11, 2009 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CassieRae

New

Post by CassieRae » Mon May 11, 2009 1:51 pm

bigtex8 wrote:#2 party law school? that seems like a challenge to reach #1. im coming from UT, so i can confirm that it takes year long dedication to earn the #1 party school ranking. hopefully some of yall are up for the challenge. my admitted student day was full of people more worried about what time the library closed :(
challenge accepted +1 (one of my roommates highest priorities is work hard, play harder.... though, we'll see who makes it the bar exam haha)

and what ASD were you at?! cause those people or their friends were at mine "what is there to do if you arent interested in drinking?" (actual quote during the student panel). Yes, I was shocked too.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pappujd

New

Post by pappujd » Mon May 11, 2009 1:51 pm

Anyone got in here after initially being waitlisted? I am on the waitlist at Tulane...waiting..

bigtex8

New

Post by bigtex8 » Mon May 11, 2009 1:52 pm

no check here either. cassierae did you get the full $300?

bigtex8

New

Post by bigtex8 » Mon May 11, 2009 1:54 pm

March 20 is the one I was at. There were a few people who were legit, but I was definitely surprised by the people who were not

nianlong

New

Post by nianlong » Mon May 11, 2009 1:57 pm

"what is there to do if you arent interested in drinking?"

Answer:

You don't have to drink to enjoy art, jazz, good food, and the zoo that's right over St. Charles in the park.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”