University of Houston Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
BigAristotle

Bronze

Re: University of Houston Class of 2012

Post by BigAristotle » Tue May 19, 2009 4:47 pm

jwzp wrote: And I will confirm, from personal experience, that a large portion of the undergrad student body is unsavory. Worse still, the majority of them aren't very bright.
eamonbriggs08 wrote:UH undergrads are not exactly the most professional, well-behaved students around.
In my experience, these are the EXACT type of undergrads I want to hang out with....especially when they're tipsy(or more)....on a late Friday/Saturday night...and female. :twisted:

But, that could be just me :lol:

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Thu May 21, 2009 12:43 pm

BigAristotle wrote:
jwzp wrote: And I will confirm, from personal experience, that a large portion of the undergrad student body is unsavory. Worse still, the majority of them aren't very bright.
eamonbriggs08 wrote:UH undergrads are not exactly the most professional, well-behaved students around.
In my experience, these are the EXACT type of undergrads I want to hang out with....especially when they're tipsy(or more)....on a late Friday/Saturday night...and female. :twisted:

But, that could be just me :lol:
haha, nice....btw, does anyone know when we get a UH e-mail address?

rubies

New

Post by rubies » Sun May 24, 2009 1:56 am

eamonbriggs08 wrote:AWESOME! I just spoke with the housing department and they agreed to let any incoming law students living in the Calhoun Lofts to move in August 13th instead of the 15th to accommodate 1L orientation (14th and 15th). You need to be put on an early move-in list first though by doing the following:

1. Call the Calhoun Lofts office at 832.842.5638
2. Ask to speak to "Teeba"
3. Tell Teeba that you need to be put on the same early move-in list for law students as Eamon. Make sure you have your PeopleSoft # handy because he will ask for this as well.

Teeba asked me to pass along that the construction schedule is going to be right down to the wire, and only people who call well in advance will be sure to have their room cleaned and furniture installed (if you are getting a furnished room) in time for the early move-in.
WHOOT! i'm glad they got back to you. thanks for letting us know! (turns out i'll be living there as well...)

by the way, are you assigned a unit yet? i'm considering what you said about the 1st floor and yeah, you're right. might as well be on the top floor. guess i gotta visit them again to pick one..

thanks again! ;P

health

New

Roommates

Post by health » Sun May 24, 2009 9:25 pm

Has anyone heard back from the admissions office about roommate lists/postings? If I can't find a roommate, I may be consigned to rooming with an unsavory UH undergrad in the lofts.

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Re: Roommates

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Tue May 26, 2009 2:51 pm

health wrote:Has anyone heard back from the admissions office about roommate lists/postings? If I can't find a roommate, I may be consigned to rooming with an unsavory UH undergrad in the lofts.
From what I've heard, they are separating graduate/professional students from the undergraduates. I'd hope that the lofts could help you find another grad student looking for a roommate. Also, the UH Law facebook page has a few roommate search postings, have you check that yet?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:26 pm

People planning to live in the Calhoun Lofts: I've been told that as long as you still call ahead a couple days, you can actually get your keys from the housing office mid-afternoon on the 12th instead of having to find someone on the morning of the 13th.

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:05 am

So I'm in the market for a roommate! Lemme know if anyone is interested via PM!

*Edit* I'll be in Houston all of next week (June 9-14) looking at places. Found a few killer 2 bedroom duplex/townhouse/apartments. From all the reviews I think I'm going to end up trying to avoid most giant apartment complexes, sticking to redesigned houses with fewer tenants.

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:45 pm

I'll be in Houston too next weekend. I'll be touring UHLC with my girlfriend on Friday the 12th, ~noon. Hit me up if you want to grab lunch or something.

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:53 pm

If you head to the Facebook group, you can take the roommate survey if you're looking for roommates.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ChrisCiolko

New

Post by ChrisCiolko » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:55 pm

Hey, I want to join that UHLC Class of 2012 Facebook group, but it says it by "invite only"?
I'm an admitted student, but I don't think I ever receieved the invitation.
Thanks.

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:06 pm

ChrisCiolko wrote:Hey, I want to join that UHLC Class of 2012 Facebook group, but it says it by "invite only"?
I'm an admitted student, but I don't think I ever receieved the invitation.
Thanks.
Email/call Lisa Buentello.

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:15 am

Poll: What laptop brand/model are you probably going to use next year?

ChrisCiolko

New

Post by ChrisCiolko » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:34 pm

Poll: 13.3" Macbook Pro

I was all set to buy a Lenovo Thinkpad when the price drop and new MBP configurations were released.
Apple has some great student specials going on now as well. I got a free iTouch ($229) and a free Printer/Copier/Scanner ($100, Cannon), as well as the $100 discount.
I sold the itouch for $100 and after the student discount I got my computer plus a very nice printer for just a bit over $1000.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:18 pm

ChrisCiolko wrote:Poll: 13.3" Macbook Pro

I was all set to buy a Lenovo Thinkpad when the price drop and new MBP configurations were released.
Apple has some great student specials going on now as well. I got a free iTouch ($229) and a free Printer/Copier/Scanner ($100, Cannon), as well as the $100 discount.
I sold the itouch for $100 and after the student discount I got my computer plus a very nice printer for just a bit over $1000.
Nice, good choice. I had my eye on both but decided to go with a Lenovo Thinkpad today. The model I want doesn't come out for a couple more weeks, but I plan on getting the Thinkpad T400s (s=slim). It is a new version of the current T400 model. I am also holding out for the free Windows 7 upgrade option which starts June 26th.

cdbaldwin

New

Post by cdbaldwin » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:02 pm

Schedule was up as of today... I got Gidi, Mixon, Rachlin and Evans and no classes before 9 (yes!).

Anybody else gotten theirs/heard about any of the professors?

Also, do you know how you figure out what group your in (A,B,C, etc.)?

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:33 pm

My schedule is up as well! Smith, Hoffman, Dow, Sanders.

I don't have any pre 9 AM classes either. Not sure how to figure out section.

Books aren't up yet either on the campus webstore, wondering when that will have that up as well. Need to scour for copies!

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:30 pm

I have:

Legal Research (16486) Merle Morris
Procedure (16570) Robert Ragazzo
Contracts (16678) James Hawkins
Torts (16590) Craig Joyce

[[Subject (Class Number) Instructor]]

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cdbaldwin

New

Post by cdbaldwin » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:09 pm

I went to visit Calhoun on Tuesday (and the reception/preview)...I sent them three emails saying I didn't want a special room, they still gave me one of the special rooms. They also told me incorrect information about parking, so I would suggest actually talking to transportation rather than trusting what you hear from Calhoun.

jjd

New

Post by jjd » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:49 pm

Have any of you guys got 1L books?or planning to get them??

Josh the Goat

New

Post by Josh the Goat » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:16 am

I'm a 2L this year at UH, and a mentor for Section C. If you guys have any questions, feel free to send me a message.

As far as professors, last year I had:
Linzer for Contracts
Sanders for Torts
Crump for Civ Pro
Rachlin for LRW
Turner for Constitutional Law
Thompson for Criminal Law
Burke for Property Law
Alderman for Consumer Law

siddharth.dawar

New

Post by siddharth.dawar » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:03 am

Are these rates per occupant?
eamonbriggs08 wrote:Hey everyone, if you do a keyword search on Yahoo for: "Calhoun Lofts" "prices listed" , the first hit is their old Leasing FAQ page, which has prices on it. You have to click "cached" and not the hyperlinked page header itself, otherwise you will just get the current page. Just in case this goes away, I am copying the prices below:

Unit: Furnished Unfurnished
Efficiency/1 bath: $830 $810
1 Bedroom/1 bath: $1,120 $1,090
2 Bedroom/1 bath: $1,642 $1,602

cdbaldwin said the housing office told him these rates are still applicable, but I thought it would be helpful to have them publicly posted here in the interest of transparency :-)

Also, I just called to get an update on the status of my application, and I was told that I had been approved and was "high on the priority list." I asked what this meant, and the nice lady I spoke with said that it means they have many rooms still available. I asked if I also qualified for the free laundry, and she said yes to that as well.

For those of you who haven't heard, Calhoun Lofts are offering the first 500 lease signers free laundry for a year (2x/week max to prevent 'sharing'). Since there are 744 rooms, I guess that means they have at least 245 left since they still have rooms left in the first 500.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”