Fordham Law School Class of 2012 Memories Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Bankhead

Silver

Re: Fordham Law School Class of 2012

Post by Bankhead » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:19 am

Is the Morningside Heights area a quick subway ride from Fordham?

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:22 am

yes its a quick, easy ride...but i'd definitely do some research before moving there...thats just me tho

silenziatori

Silver

Post by silenziatori » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:25 am

I applied for on-campus housing. Not up to an apartment search this year.

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:28 am

i live all the way downtown right now. in the FD. i thought of doing campus housing but (a) don't really want to live in campus housing (for a number of reasons, a major one being i have a SO and the whole sign-in business on the weekends sounds just awful), and (b) as I live in NYC, I don't think i'd even be granted on campus housing (?) pretty sure it goes first to those geographically distant who are not able to do an easy housing search.

i'm trying to live, i think, in hell's kitchen or morning side heights. i'd feel fine in either. this is like the absolute first time i've really given it any thought though...

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:31 am

jrock12 wrote:yes its a quick, easy ride...but i'd definitely do some research before moving there...thats just me tho
I would recommend living in the low 100's on the West Side. This area is still a bargain compared to the rest of the UWS, and Morningside Heights has changed so much! I used to live on W 92nd St, which, though far from shopping and nightlife, was pretty idyllic. It was expensive, though. (I paid $1400 for half a two bedroom apt in a doorman, elevator building.) I knew friends living a few blocks north who shaved off $500 a month.

I'm happier living downtown, but when my lease is up, if not compelled to leave New York for law school, I will probably move to Morningside Heights myself.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:33 am

i'm on a bunch of nyc school posts recommending hells kitchen...i lived there for a few years...not that you dont already know, but pretty affordable, close to campus, and very safe

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:38 am

jrock12 wrote:i'm on a bunch of nyc school posts recommending hells kitchen...i lived there for a few years...not that you dont already know, but pretty affordable, close to campus, and very safe
I lived there too, my first year in NYC. I would recommend living in the W50's, rather than further south, since the area is best known for its noise pollution and the throngs of tourists who come to gawk at Times Square. I lived on W43rd, between 8th and 9th, and I would never do that again! That said, it is perfectly safe (even for a girl like me), and as cheap as anything can be in Manhattan.

gavinxdorian

New

Post by gavinxdorian » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:44 pm

If you're not up for a sizeable (read: Approx. 1 hour) commute, ignore this, but I live way the hell out in Brooklyn (all the way out on the F train) in a ridiculously safe and comfortable area, in a GORGEOUS 1 br that I share with my SO, and we only pay 600 each, including everything but electricity and gas for cooking. It's far, I know this, but it's really really cheap for a fantastic apartment (we comfortably had 25-30 people over for a party once).

Just goes to show, if you learn to study/sleep on the train, the outer areas of NY can get you some great deals.

revolution724

Bronze

Post by revolution724 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:50 pm

I just withdrew from Emory, so I think this is as official as it's gonna be until I start signing paperwork and pack up my stuff. Hello, classmates! How in the hell are we going to afford this?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:19 pm

jrock12 wrote:yes its a quick, easy ride...but i'd definitely do some research before moving there...thats just me tho
Thanks for the responses, guys.

Any particular reason why you say this, jrock? Is it not a safe neighborhood?

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:49 pm

nitsudrx wrote:
Thanks for the responses, guys.

Any particular reason why you say this, jrock? Is it not a safe neighborhood?
i'm confident that it is fairly safe, but probably not as safe as living 20 or so blocks to the south in manhattan, or better yet 60 blocks to the south in hells kitchen...but then again, i'd say every 15 blocks lower you go, you're probably talking $100 more in rent/month...columbia is there, so there are quite a few people our age living in the area, a few nice parks/etc....i guess maybe it initially came out the wrong way...i more so meant that i think you need to check out the neighborhood for yourself to weigh it against your other options and balance out what you feel is most important, especially coming from outside of the nyc area

i understand i'm biased, but for me a studio on W. 110th street for $1300/mo doesnt even compare to a studio on W. 52nd street for $1500/mo...but then again, my tastes may vary very differently from yours

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:32 pm

Just an update. My status checker says my first deposit has been received. So I guess barring any waitlist movement I am officially a member of the Fordham Class of 2012!

casper00

New

Post by casper00 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:43 pm

geoanthem wrote:Just an update. My status checker says my first deposit has been received. So I guess barring any waitlist movement I am officially a member of the Fordham Class of 2012!
+1 same!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:44 pm

casper00 wrote:
geoanthem wrote:Just an update. My status checker says my first deposit has been received. So I guess barring any waitlist movement I am officially a member of the Fordham Class of 2012!
+1 same!
Add yourself to the TLS class of 2012 thread. Fordham is pretty lonely.

dingman08

New

Post by dingman08 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:00 pm

NYC, i'm comin back for ya!!

Woodbane77

New

Post by Woodbane77 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:19 pm

silenziatori wrote:I applied for on-campus housing. Not up to an apartment search this year.
+1

As I understand it priority is given to those who are furthest away, given that I'm on the other side of the country, I'm thinking I should be pretty high on the list. Now I just have to cope with not being able to wear sandals 10 months out of the year.

nervousrex

New

Post by nervousrex » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:55 pm

Does anybody know how much Fordham normaly gives out (per student) in need based aid??

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

silenziatori

Silver

Post by silenziatori » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:53 pm

Woodbane77 wrote:
silenziatori wrote:I applied for on-campus housing. Not up to an apartment search this year.
+1

As I understand it priority is given to those who are furthest away, given that I'm on the other side of the country, I'm thinking I should be pretty high on the list. Now I just have to cope with not being able to wear sandals 10 months out of the year.
Fordham's on-campus housing is directly connected to the law school, so if you're just going to class you don't have to step outside.

plewis01

New

Post by plewis01 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:48 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:i live all the way downtown right now. in the FD. i thought of doing campus housing but (a) don't really want to live in campus housing (for a number of reasons, a major one being i have a SO and the whole sign-in business on the weekends sounds just awful), and (b) as I live in NYC, I don't think i'd even be granted on campus housing (?) pretty sure it goes first to those geographically distant who are not able to do an easy housing search.

i'm trying to live, i think, in hell's kitchen or morning side heights. i'd feel fine in either. this is like the absolute first time i've really given it any thought though...
could you be a little more detailed about the sign-in business? or do you know where I'd learn more about this?

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:57 pm

nitsudrx wrote:Is the Morningside Heights area a quick subway ride from Fordham?
about 20 minutes on the 1 train. Hop on at either 125 or 116 (Columbia) and get off at 59th st.

Easy as cake. Of course 125 is sketchier than 116 but the rent gets cheaper every block you go up from 116.

Look into apartments in Bedford Ave. It's in Brooklyn but very up and coming, a tad expensive (but cheaper than Manhattan and you get more bang for your buck). More importantly, it is very convenient. You can hop on the L train line, get to 8th ave and then hop on the A or C train to 59th columbus circle.

I recommend that if you're looking for an apartment in NYC to find a realtor. Otherwise, caveat emptor x100 there are some really shady places listed on craigslist. And apartments that you find with a realtor are usually only found using a realtor.

galobi

New

Post by galobi » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:59 pm

plewis01 wrote: could you be a little more detailed about the sign-in business? or do you know where I'd learn more about this?
guests must be signed in after 10pm and signed out by i think 3:30am. Overnight guest passes can be obtained but only for same-sex guests (usually people get opp-sex friends to secure guest passes for SOs)

edit: my bad, and that's awesome!
Last edited by galobi on Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:02 am

galobi wrote:
plewis01 wrote: could you be a little more detailed about the sign-in business? or do you know where I'd learn more about this?
guests must be signed in after 10pm and signed out by i think 3:30am. Overnight guest passes can be obtained but only for same-sex guests (usually people get opp-sex friends to secure guest passes for SOs)
silenziatori wrote:Fordham's on-campus housing is directly connected to the law school, so if you're just going to class you don't have to step outside.
I don't think this is accurate.

http://origin.web.fordham.edu/audience/ ... p.shtml#lc

On that map, the dorm is building #4 and the law school is #7. Unless there's some underground tunnel I don't know about, you will have to walk outside. Not far though!
No it is very accurate. I lived there before and can vouch that it is true that you'll never have to step foot outside to go from dorm to law school. And yes there is some underground tunnel you don't know about.

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:27 am

just throwing it out there for those who want to stay in manhattan, but dont necessarily want the prices of the UWS...check the eberhart brothers website....no fee apartments on the UES...studios in the $1350-1725 range...in any case, atleast a way to get a look at a few places and a bit of a better understanding of the nyc rental market

crabbycakes

New

Post by crabbycakes » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:40 am

so i have my deposit down at fordham, but am riding out several waitlists. at the same time, i'm beginning to explore where i am going to live if i go to fordham. if i get off of a waitlist, i don't want to be hit with a penalty for breaking a lease or something like that. is there such a penalty on the on-campus housing (i assume there is for private landlords)? or are you just supposed to try to wait until the very last minute to choose where to live and just commit?

DaveDude

New

Post by DaveDude » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:52 am

crabbycakes wrote:so i have my deposit down at fordham, but am riding out several waitlists. at the same time, i'm beginning to explore where i am going to live if i go to fordham. if i get off of a waitlist, i don't want to be hit with a penalty for breaking a lease or something like that. is there such a penalty on the on-campus housing (i assume there is for private landlords)? or are you just supposed to try to wait until the very last minute to choose where to live and just commit?
I think a lot of people are in the same position. Just try to avoid signing the lease until the week before you move in. You'll probably have to eat the cost of whatever you've deposited up to that point, though (first/last/security). If you use a broker, pay attention to precisely when you are obligated to give them their commission.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”