Fordham Law School Class of 2012 Memories Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
fordham2012

New

Fordham Law School Class of 2012 Memories

Post by fordham2012 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:45 pm

For all those going to Fordham Law in August...
Last edited by fordham2012 on Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

casper00

New

Re: Fordham Law 2012

Post by casper00 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:00 pm

Last edited by casper00 on Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:36 pm

casper00 wrote:Even though no one has yet posted in here - is anyone going to the admitted student event tomorrow?
No. I'm going to the one on March 28.

casper00

New

Post by casper00 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:01 pm

nitsudrx wrote:
casper00 wrote:Even though no one has yet posted in here - is anyone going to the admitted student event tomorrow?
Where did you see that there is one that day also?

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:07 pm

casper00 wrote:
nitsudrx wrote:
Where did you see that there is one that day also?
I e-mailed them saying I couldn't make the one tomorrow and asked if there would be another one later. They replied saying 3/28.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MoMoney

New

Post by MoMoney » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:25 pm

If my boss is ok with me working a half day tomorrow, I'll probably go.

galobi

New

Post by galobi » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:32 pm

I went yesterday. I liked it! The speakers were all engaging and knowledgeable (Dean, then associate deans of this and that). I was particularly impressed with the head of career services.

galobi

New

Post by galobi » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:08 pm

galobi wrote:I went yesterday. I liked it! The speakers were all engaging and knowledgeable (Dean, then associate deans of this and that). I was particularly impressed with the head of career services.
Below is copied and pasted from a PM I wrote to somebody who asked for more specific info about the ASD... figured there might be other curious people:

The ASD was mostly just a series of speakers in a seminar room. First was Dean Treanor, he talked up the Clinic and the focus on ethics, also talked about how every 3L/4L evening class volunteers 100,000 hours.

Then A. Dean Foster (Acadmics) talked. Probably most of this you could find on the website... sections are about 40 ppl each, first year is all requirements then mostly electives.

Then A. Dean Brown gave the financial aid talk because the real finaid dean couldn't make it. It was almost all about loans and loan forgiveness, basically you should be able to pay back your federal loans but if for some reason you can't (i.e., if you're making less than x amount each year) after 10 years the balance is forgiven. He also said that they estimate $2200/mo. in living expenses, which is in the middle of what the other NYC schools estimate.

After that Professor Dan Capra did kind of like a mock class for about a half hour. He was good, funny and engaging. He said that he doesn't use Socratic method and he knows that there are other professors who don't as well.

Finally the Career Planning Lady spoke, Suzanne Endrizzi. She said that the school has put a lot of work into getting an excellent career staff who was recruited from big firms where they had made hiring decisions (she herself had an extensive recruiting resume). She mentioned that half the most recent graduating class was working in firms with more than 100 attorneys. She touted the very very high job placement reporting rate and said that she expects the salary reporting rate to be around 89% this year, also very high. She was asked about the recession and said that she wasn't really worried because, besides the cyclical nature of the economy, a climate such as this often creates the need for lawyers (albeit probably in a different field... e.g. she thinks that there will be a big boom in regulatory work).

At this point we broke into groups for a tour...I thought the facilities were decent. I mean clearly it's not on a gorgeous campus and it ain't gothic architecture, but the building is fine for what it is.

Finally there was a reception where we all milled around and talked.. everybody that spoke as well as professors and current students were also there and making the rounds. The professors and students were all very enthusiastic (to be expected, I guess). One thing that they as well as the main speakers repeatedly touted was the collegiate atmosphere, how nice everyone is and how many people make lifelong friends which is supposedly not a common law school occurrence.

All in all I was pretty impressed and if I do end up choosing Fordham I know I'll feel comfortable with that decision.

Hope this helps!

JessyE

New

Re: Fordham Law School Class of 2012

Post by JessyE » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:38 pm

So I'm starting in August part time-- with intentions of transfering into full time after my first year. I'm going to be working in the city during my first year with the night classes but I want to finish in the three years. I'll be coming strait out of college and am looking to live somewhere pretty close to school. Anyone else know what they're doing yet?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TopCat

Bronze

Post by TopCat » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:40 pm

Tagging this. I am down to BU vs. Fordham as of now. Both have given me similar $$ deals and actually Fordham comes out to be cheaper if I commute an hour everyday from Brooklyn. Tough decision. Still around two more months to go until deposits are due...

SummaWrestler

New

Post by SummaWrestler » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:48 pm

I'm in a similar situation - deciding between BU vs. Fordham vs. Cardozo w/ 18k.

Help!

frost

Bronze

Post by frost » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:11 pm

finally decided on fordham over BU because I can commute and save $. so it's looking like fordham though i'm still hoping for some love from T14 waitlists.

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:43 am

Probably will be attending Fordham next year depending on how BU plays out and the BC waitlist. Pretty excited.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:37 pm

Does anyone know when I can expect access to the admitted students site. I was accepted 3/10. Also does it use the original password they gave you or the one I changed it to? Thanks!

hypo

New

Post by hypo » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:08 pm

geoanthem wrote:Does anyone know when I can expect access to the admitted students site. I was accepted 3/10. Also does it use the original password they gave you or the one I changed it to? Thanks!
It's the same as the status checker, but it took them a couple weeks to give me access. You get an email when you can get in.

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:10 pm

hypo wrote:
geoanthem wrote:Does anyone know when I can expect access to the admitted students site. I was accepted 3/10. Also does it use the original password they gave you or the one I changed it to? Thanks!
It's the same as the status checker, but it took them a couple weeks to give me access. You get an email when you can get in.
Thanks I actually got the email today.

casper00

New

Post by casper00 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:56 pm

Last edited by casper00 on Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

silenziatori

Silver

Post by silenziatori » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:01 pm

casper00 wrote:Just submitted FAFSA and the Fordham Aid App. Anyone know, based on experience or what they heard, how long it takes until a decision is rendered and sent out?
I received my financial aid award letter about 10 days after submitting the Fordham financial aid app.

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:05 pm

silenziatori wrote:
casper00 wrote:Just submitted FAFSA and the Fordham Aid App. Anyone know, based on experience or what they heard, how long it takes until a decision is rendered and sent out?
I received my financial aid award letter about 10 days after submitting the Fordham financial aid app.
+1

casper00

New

Post by casper00 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:13 pm

nitsudrx wrote:
silenziatori wrote:
+1
Great, I'm hoping to at least get it before deposits are due. Were they generous? My EFC is 0, hoping they feel my pain.
Last edited by casper00 on Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silenziatori

Silver

Post by silenziatori » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:07 pm

casper00 wrote:
nitsudrx wrote:
silenziatori wrote:
+1
Great, I'm hoping to at least get it before deposits are due. Were they generous. My EFC is 0, hoping they feel my pain.
I believe financial aid awards may depend on more than just EFC, so it's hard to say how they treat applicants with low EFCs in general. I received a grant award in the teens, which was more than I was expecting.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:13 pm

casper00 wrote:
nitsudrx wrote:
silenziatori wrote:
+1
Great, I'm hoping to at least get it before deposits are due. Were they generous. My EFC is 0, hoping they feel my pain.
They are fairly generous, yes. Probably not as generous as if we were FT, however.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:14 pm

stupid question but does anyone know if they're giving out free stuff at the ASD?

MoMoney

New

Post by MoMoney » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:18 pm

legends159 wrote:stupid question but does anyone know if they're giving out free stuff at the ASD?
At the one last month they gave out something thats like a metal nalgene bottle, which is pretty nice. Also, a pen and a usb thumb drive (don't know how big it is).

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:19 pm

MoMoney wrote:
legends159 wrote:stupid question but does anyone know if they're giving out free stuff at the ASD?
At the one last month they gave out something thats like a metal nalgene bottle, which is pretty nice. Also, a pen and a usb thumb drive (don't know how big it is).
sweet! any t-shirt?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”