Illinois 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Hook 'Em

Bronze

Re: Illinois 2012

Post by Hook 'Em » Thu May 28, 2009 1:45 pm

tbx59 wrote:Just got off the waitlist, so I think I'll be joining you guys -

Thanks for the insight into housing
Congrats, see you in the fall.

tiramisu

New

Post by tiramisu » Fri May 29, 2009 11:17 am

Is anyone living in the ''on campus'' area? I am not bringing a car to Champaign and am looking at apts that are within 10-12 blocks of school.

fightin illini 25

New

Post by fightin illini 25 » Fri May 29, 2009 11:20 am

tiramisu wrote:Is anyone living in the ''on campus'' area? I am not bringing a car to Champaign and am looking at apts that are within 10-12 blocks of school.
I will PM you with some info in a few minutes...

bloomlaw

New

Post by bloomlaw » Fri May 29, 2009 11:31 am

fightin illini 25 wrote:
tiramisu wrote:Is anyone living in the ''on campus'' area? I am not bringing a car to Champaign and am looking at apts that are within 10-12 blocks of school.
Could you PM that to me as well?

Thanks.

Hook 'Em

Bronze

Post by Hook 'Em » Fri May 29, 2009 12:40 pm

bloomlaw wrote:
fightin illini 25 wrote:
Could you PM that to me as well?

Thanks.
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tiramisu

New

Post by tiramisu » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:42 pm

Anyone know someone who has lived here? The apartments look really nice. Newly opened in Nov 2008. in unit washer/dryers, large gym, club room, etc. The rent is $200-300 more per month for the studios than the avg rent in Champaign but the location seems really convenient. I will be visiting on Monday.

any input appreciated!

http://www.burnham310.com/

paranoid android

New

Post by paranoid android » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:31 pm

tiramisu wrote:Anyone know someone who has lived here? The apartments look really nice. Newly opened in Nov 2008. in unit washer/dryers, large gym, club room, etc. The rent is $200-300 more per month for the studios than the avg rent in Champaign but the location seems really convenient. I will be visiting on Monday.

any input appreciated!

+1 Didn't see it on the website but how much were they asking for a studio?

chalis8

New

Post by chalis8 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:21 pm

paranoid android wrote:
tiramisu wrote:Anyone know someone who has lived here? The apartments look really nice. Newly opened in Nov 2008. in unit washer/dryers, large gym, club room, etc. The rent is $200-300 more per month for the studios than the avg rent in Champaign but the location seems really convenient. I will be visiting on Monday.

any input appreciated!

+1 Didn't see it on the website but how much were they asking for a studio?
It's a big new highrise with a grocery store on the ground level (Country Market). Haven't heard any complaints but I only know of two law students who live there. It's 100% guaranteed that it will be full of undergrads so if you're looking for quiet, this is most likely not the place to go. It's probably about a 20 min walk from the law school, but driving would take no time at all, not sure if there's a convenient bus route (especially because they may be changing the bus routes completely so they don't go directly past the law school - still not sure how that will play out)

IlliChica

New

Post by IlliChica » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:35 pm

[/quote]

It's a big new highrise with a grocery store on the ground level (Country Market). Haven't heard any complaints but I only know of two law students who live there. It's 100% guaranteed that it will be full of undergrads so if you're looking for quiet, this is most likely not the place to go. It's probably about a 20 min walk from the law school, but driving would take no time at all, not sure if there's a convenient bus route (especially because they may be changing the bus routes completely so they don't go directly past the law school - still not sure how that will play out)[/quote]

That's stupid and annoying! In the even that I get off the waiting list, I was looking forward to being able to take at least 3 different bus routes that drop off directly in front of the law school, one of which also picks up right on the corner from my future apartment!

(I've got it all planned out! lol)

I wonder why they're changing the routes, though? Are they doing renovations or building something?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chalis8

New

Post by chalis8 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:22 pm

IlliChica wrote:

That's stupid and annoying! In the even that I get off the waiting list, I was looking forward to being able to take at least 3 different bus routes that drop off directly in front of the law school, one of which also picks up right on the corner from my future apartment!

(I've got it all planned out! lol)

I wonder why they're changing the routes, though? Are they doing renovations or building something?
I don't have the whole story, but there is a proposal by the MTD to alter some of the routes, including the one that drops off in front of the law school. I don't know the status of these changes since I don't think a proposed budget increase was approved by the school. Also I know there was a petition circulating to keep the current route. One of the rumors I heard (and I don't know how true this is) is that the re-routing has to do with the street width which is understandable. The buses literally don't fit on Peabody when there are cars parked on either side - although I think they run into that problem with a lot of the streets on campus, not just Peabody. If you're concerned I would recommend keeping an eye on the MTD site for updates http://www.cumtd.com/aboutmtd/ViewNewsA ... spx?id=124 There are also maps of the proposed changes. I mean it's really only a block away, (Fourth and Gregory would be the closest stop) but it's certainly less convenient than the current route.

chitown24

New

Post by chitown24 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:49 pm

I will be putting my deposit down on Monday, and I look forward to meeting everyone in the fall!!

h1yaaaguy

New

Post by h1yaaaguy » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:54 am

Well I just put down my deposit to join all of you next year in Chambana a few days ago, and then today, got into WashU with a little $$. I'm still about 90 percent sure I want to be at UIUC this Fall, as my future plans are to work in Chicago after graduating. Anybody have any biased pro-UIUC opinions for me?

Z'Barron

New

Post by Z'Barron » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:58 am

sfburkhead wrote:Still waiting to hear back from a whole bunch of schools, but as of now Illinois is my top choice (and most likely will remain that way!) as the only schools that could *possibly* sway me are Berkeley, Northwestern, U. Chicago and UCLA. Anyways! Pretty exciting all around. Congrats to all those who have gotten in and good luck to those still waiting!
I still have UIUC, as well, along with Virginia, NU, UCLA, Georgetown, WUSTL, UNC, Wisconsin, Ohio State, and a few other top schools...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chalis8

New

Post by chalis8 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:01 am

Last edited by chalis8 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

l'arte d'arrangiarsi

New

Post by l'arte d'arrangiarsi » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:47 am

if you recently decided to come to Illinois and have not started visiting apartments, don't bother looking at the on campus ones that Roland Realty has. The tenants union told me they have had no complaints, but the apts were so filthy, old, and felt like dorms. It really was horrible. There were even unmentionnalbe things on the kitchen counter. (I just visited these apartments yesterday)

Avoid Roland Realty on-campus apts!

l'arte d'arrangiarsi

New

Post by l'arte d'arrangiarsi » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:02 am

are there bike racks in front of the law school building?

Hook 'Em

Bronze

Post by Hook 'Em » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:10 am

I'm still thinking about purchasing a home in Champaign or Urbana this summer. I know it might be too late to get resident tuition for 1L, but still am interested in buying. Is anyone else considering this option? Also, do any of the 1L's or 2L's have any advice from personal experience with this, or have any friends that have bought a place?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

paranoid android

New

Post by paranoid android » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:53 pm

Hook 'Em wrote:I'm still thinking about purchasing a home in Champaign or Urbana this summer. I know it might be too late to get resident tuition for 1L, but still am interested in buying. Is anyone else considering this option? Also, do any of the 1L's or 2L's have any advice from personal experience with this, or have any friends that have bought a place?
I am not from Champaign nor do I know the real estate market in the area. I do however have experience with home purchases both for primary residence and investment property and would caution against buying a SFR (single family residence) for 3 years. The math can make sense, just make sure you do your homework and work with a qualified lender.

chalis8

New

Post by chalis8 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:08 pm

Last edited by chalis8 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chalis8

New

Post by chalis8 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:09 pm

Last edited by chalis8 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paranoid android

New

Post by paranoid android » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:40 pm

chalis8 wrote:
paranoid android wrote:
Hook 'Em wrote:I'm still thinking about purchasing a home in Champaign or Urbana this summer. I know it might be too late to get resident tuition for 1L, but still am interested in buying. Is anyone else considering this option? Also, do any of the 1L's or 2L's have any advice from personal experience with this, or have any friends that have bought a place?
I am not from Champaign nor do I know the real estate market in the area. I do however have experience with home purchases both for primary residence and investment property and would caution against buying a SFR (single family residence) for 3 years. The math can make sense, just make sure you do your homework and work with a qualified lender.
Keep in mind the difference in tuition though - I think that's why Hook Em is considering buying. Not as a money making venture but a money saving venture...
True, and that will definitely effect the decision as he would in effect be saving $7k a year in tuition. I was looking into this myself but decided it wasn't worth it. Again I don't know the Champaign market very well but it looks (based of craigslist and zillow.com) that you could get a 2BR for around $120k. Interest payments, assuming a 20% down payment, will be around $500 a month, then add another $200 for taxes and insurance and your looking at $700. You could rent a comparable house for $750-$850 a month and not have to worry about the added maintenance, down payment and the closing costs on both ends of the sale. If you think the $14k your saving in tuition is more than the cost of buying then go for it, otherwise just rent and save yourself the stress of home ownership.

Sorry for the rant, but IMO if you want to buy, get a 2-4 unit place, rent the other spots out and you will be cash flow positive. And if you don't want to sell the property right after graduation you have a property that will generate income. Just my $.02.

Would be good to get perspective from someone who actually did this though.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mrs. Patrick Stewart

New

Post by Mrs. Patrick Stewart » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:37 pm

l'arte d'arrangiarsi wrote:if you recently decided to come to Illinois and have not started visiting apartments, don't bother looking at the on campus ones that Roland Realty has. The tenants union told me they have had no complaints, but the apts were so filthy, old, and felt like dorms. It really was horrible. There were even unmentionnalbe things on the kitchen counter. (I just visited these apartments yesterday)

Avoid Roland Realty on-campus apts!
Same... it was disgusting.

I rented with Royce & Brinkmeyer. If anybody else is thinking about renting with them, let me know. If you say I referred you, then I get a $100 rent credit. And I'll take you out for a beer or something. =)

bloomlaw

New

Post by bloomlaw » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:53 am

Hey guys, I'll be going into Champaign for a visit on Thursday, plan on looking at apartments all day long. Anyone have any last minute suggestions on places? I've got a basic list here, but anyone find a gem they didn't get?

Also, if somebody wants/needs me to, I can check out an apartment for them, or check out something else if they want. Just send me a PM.

Hook 'Em

Bronze

Post by Hook 'Em » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:06 am

I'm also a 0L, and I'll be at The Pointe in the fall. They have furnished apartments, are on the campus bus line, and are relatively cheap. A lot of undergraduates live there, but I'll gladly sacrifice quiet for the convenience of a furnished place (I don't want to move a crapload of furniture from Texas).

IlliChica

New

Post by IlliChica » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:39 am

Hook 'Em wrote:I'm also a 0L, and I'll be at The Pointe in the fall. They have furnished apartments, are on the campus bus line, and are relatively cheap. A lot of undergraduates live there, but I'll gladly sacrifice quiet for the convenience of a furnished place (I don't want to move a crapload of furniture from Texas).
The Pointe is a nice complex with furnished apts. If you've committed to living there, I wish you luck.

Almost ALL apartments in Champaign come furnished. Like seriously, its a little more difficult to find an unfurnished apartment than it is to find a furnished one. This is what makes me like Champaign better than most as a college town.
Last edited by IlliChica on Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”