Pepperdine 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
lrd

New

Re: Pepperdine 2012

Post by lrd » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:13 am

rainethe wrote:
masondixon wrote: I agree. But...i think living on campus provides much more social opportunity (at least for the first year). I wonder how strongly they enforce that rule.
I heard it really depends on your RA. Also, I believe there's a rule that there can be no overnight guests of the opposite sex if you're living in campus housing.
lrd wrote: Being 5 years out of college, there's no way I can live in campus housing... Something tells me I'll want a beer after a long day of class and the campus is dry (assuming you follow their rules).
This is my problem as well. Not so much the alcohol per se, but I'm very reluctant to go back to a dorm-like living situation. However, like mason dixon mentioned, I am a bit afraid that I won't meet as many people living off-campus. So I'm trying to strike a happy medium and find a few 1Ls to live with off-campus.
For the record it's not just about booze haha. I just generally don't feel up for "dorm" life again. I’m thinking guest house somewhere in Malibu instead!

jibstir13

New

Post by jibstir13 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:42 am

Anyone get the event e-mail about the meet-n-greet at an alumni's house in hollywood?

There were only ten spots and by the time I read the e-mail all ten spots were taken.

Too bad since i really want to go...Anyone here able to get a spot?

masondixon

New

Post by masondixon » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:49 pm

i didn't get the meet and greet, but i got the golf tournament one? which i sadly won't be able to make.

OutofBako

New

Post by OutofBako » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:16 pm

jibstir13 wrote:Anyone get the event e-mail about the meet-n-greet at an alumni's house in hollywood?

There were only ten spots and by the time I read the e-mail all ten spots were taken.

Too bad since i really want to go...Anyone here able to get a spot?
I got the invite. It only went out to admits from within CA. I wanted to go, but I'll be in Huntington Beach that weekend. Ten is a TINY reception anyway.

Mason- I wanted to go to the golf tournament too, but it's during the week and it's not a good time for me to take time off. Hopefully someone will go and let us know how it went!

kbookbinder

New

Post by kbookbinder » Fri May 01, 2009 1:00 pm

I havent been on in a while and i dont think i have been on since I made my decision, but i will be going to pepperdine this fall, and can't be more excited lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

masondixon

New

Post by masondixon » Mon May 04, 2009 2:20 pm

Did anyone get to go to the meet and greet in LA? How'd it go?

joncahill

New

Post by joncahill » Fri May 08, 2009 7:59 pm

Hey guys,
I am about 90% sure I will be attending Pepperdine in the Fall. Still waiting on a decision from UCLA, and have been waitlisted at Hastings, but barring them comming through, I will see you all in Malibu. Still havnt made it out for any events or even a tour, I need to get on that.

Pepperdine was generous with scholorships, but the top 1/3 thing scares me too. I was a little worried about the conservative leanings, but Ive been assured by a couple grads that it doesnt really come up too much.

Housing is my #1 concern right now, will probably end up in Santa Monica/Calabasas but I wonder how that will impact my social life...comming from UC Santa Barbara, it might be a hard shift. On-campus seems a little unrealistic. Maybe the dry campus thing wouldn't bother me (im sure a few beers would go unnoticed)...but not being able to have people spend the night? Thats just cruel.

I might be interested in a large house with a few roomies if anyone is interested, let me know.

Is anyone aware of ANY public transporation going into Malibu? I have a '67 mustang that kills me on gas mileage, so a commute might force me to sell her. A horrible thought for me.

lrd

New

Post by lrd » Fri May 08, 2009 10:38 pm

joncahill wrote:Hey guys,
I am about 90% sure I will be attending Pepperdine in the Fall. Still waiting on a decision from UCLA, and have been waitlisted at Hastings, but barring them comming through, I will see you all in Malibu. Still havnt made it out for any events or even a tour, I need to get on that.

Pepperdine was generous with scholorships, but the top 1/3 thing scares me too. I was a little worried about the conservative leanings, but Ive been assured by a couple grads that it doesnt really come up too much.

Housing is my #1 concern right now, will probably end up in Santa Monica/Calabasas but I wonder how that will impact my social life...comming from UC Santa Barbara, it might be a hard shift. On-campus seems a little unrealistic. Maybe the dry campus thing wouldn't bother me (im sure a few beers would go unnoticed)...but not being able to have people spend the night? Thats just cruel.

I might be interested in a large house with a few roomies if anyone is interested, let me know.

Is anyone aware of ANY public transporation going into Malibu? I have a '67 mustang that kills me on gas mileage, so a commute might force me to sell her. A horrible thought for me.
Similar story for me. I'm not looking at housing until july though... Thinking Santa Monica. Not sure I'm looking for roommates, but would consider car pooling. We'll see once we get closer to August.

joncahill

New

Post by joncahill » Sat May 09, 2009 1:58 am

Yea Im not going to look too seriously for housing until summer, but I have been browsing Craigslist, etc to get an idea of cost, ammenities, etc in the surrounding areas. Im leaning toward living alone, since I currently live with 9 other guys right now in a house...sometimes feels like im in a frat. I would also be interested in carpooling, especially since there seems that there are only a handful of areas that pepperdine students really live. Ive heard that Santa Monica has more nightlife/things to do/has a younger crowd than Calabasas, which is more residential.

Does anyone know if there is any 'prep' needed/suggested before entering law school. Maybe a legal writing course if you have not taken one in college (such as myself)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mr. Costello

New

Post by Mr. Costello » Thu May 14, 2009 1:41 pm

Just curious when Pepperdine's 2nd seat deposit is due... Is it June 15th? Thanks!

sapereaude2012

New

Post by sapereaude2012 » Thu May 14, 2009 1:57 pm

I believe I will be withdrawing from Pepperdine on Monday. I have decided to attend GW. Hopefully one of you on the waitlist gets my seat, and someone also gets my scholarship!!!

Rachyk

New

Post by Rachyk » Thu May 14, 2009 2:08 pm

For some reason I thought that it was due June 30th but I could be mistaken..

cqphan89

New

Post by cqphan89 » Thu May 14, 2009 2:20 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OutofBako

New

Post by OutofBako » Fri May 15, 2009 11:45 pm

Anyone else get the sticker today?? It's already on my car! :)

Ythunder

New

Post by Ythunder » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:18 pm

I'm looking for 1 or 2 females to share a really amazing town house with. Pm me if interested :)

lrd

New

Post by lrd » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:11 pm

Anyone considering living in Santa Monica?

utilitarianjac

Bronze

Post by utilitarianjac » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:29 pm

lrd wrote:Anyone considering living in Santa Monica?
The drive would be a nightmare, but you might find something more reasonably priced.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lrd

New

Post by lrd » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:40 pm

utilitarianjac wrote:
lrd wrote:Anyone considering living in Santa Monica?
The drive would be a nightmare, but you might find something more reasonably priced.
Are you a current student? Twenty minutes going the opposite direction from traffic doesn't sound bad...

utilitarianjac

Bronze

Post by utilitarianjac » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:52 pm

lrd wrote:Are you a current student? Twenty minutes going the opposite direction from traffic doesn't sound bad...
Yes, I am a current student. The drive is about 15 miles, and without traffic, you can make it in about 25 minutes. In traffic, it can take an hour. There are at least a dozen red lights, and you are sure to catch most of them. They always seem to be doing some sort of road work that further slows things down. An accident on the PCH really screws things up. Yu have to keep in mind that while traffic might not be as bad in the morning as you drive to Malibu, things will likely be much different on your way home, especially if you have an class later in the afternoon.

It can be done though. I had a professor that lived near LAX, and there was a student even further away (in Long Beach!). He must have had free housing or something.

lrd

New

Post by lrd » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:24 pm

I appreciate the advice. I went to USC back in undergrad, so I think that's part of the appeal of living that direction (just a lot of friends down there). Still think I'm inclined to live around Santa Monica, traffic or not, but we'll see. Where do you live? What do you think about the majority of students?

utilitarianjac

Bronze

Post by utilitarianjac » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:05 pm

lrd wrote:I appreciate the advice. I went to USC back in undergrad, so I think that's part of the appeal of living that direction (just a lot of friends down there). Still think I'm inclined to live around Santa Monica, traffic or not, but we'll see. Where do you live? What do you think about the majority of students?
I completely understand your reasoning.

I live on campus in married housing. It works out well since I only have to walk across the street to get to school. My wife can walk to her job on campus. Married housing is more like a real apartment. I don't know if I would enjoy living on campus as much if I were a single student. Singles' Housing is more like living in a dorm.

As for most students, I certainly know many who live here. I know a few that live in apartments in Malibu, which are incredibly expensive. I have quite a few friends that live in the huge apartment complex at the end of Las Virgenes in Calabassas. I also know a few who are now in Santa Monica. It seems to me that a lot of 1Ls make a point of living close (like, on campus) their first year and then realize that it isn't quite as essential as they were led to believe. Many move somewhere else before starting their second year. By then, you will likely have found people to split a house or apartment with to make living off campus cheaper.

Since you went to college around here, you are accustomed to California drivers and LA traffic. (It can take some getting used to for those of us from out of state.) Living in Santa Monica shouldn't be too bad for you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lrd

New

Post by lrd » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:15 pm

Can anyone point me to a summer reading list?

OutofBako

New

Post by OutofBako » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:19 pm

So as I was bored at work and checking my student account, I found that our schedules are posted!

Section 1 here, how about YOU?!

arhmcpo

Bronze

Post by arhmcpo » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:28 pm

I'm in Section 2, class schedule doesn't look too bad except for the fact that classes are monday-friday which we already knew going in-

I'm living in Marina Del Rey where the commute is anywhere from 40mins to an hour plus. I chose it because while calabasas is cheapest and nearest, there's also nothing out there, your basically in the middle of nowhere (but it supposed to be getting better). Santa Monica is great but also extremely expensive, so I went with marina which is a little bit cheaper and only a little farther away than santa monica.

A friend recently stayed for a week because he was working in malibu (across from campus) and didn't want to commute from the LBC. He said it took him around 35-40 mins each morning driving up around 7:00a, coming back was not bad either, except one day there was an accident on PCH which made traffic horrific. So he ended up just hanging out in malibu for a few more hours until it cleared up. Generally you are going opposite traffic so its not as bad as it could be.

It sounds like an alright commute if your coming from the south unless theres an accident on PCH. Coming from Calabasas you'll never have a problem unless Malibu Canyon gets closed...in which case your F'd; a Pepperdine student who lives there told me it only happens a few times a year though. But definitely most students live in Calabasas or Santa Monica, with a handful on campus or living in guest houses in malibu.

lrd

New

Post by lrd » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:28 am

Section 3 here

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”