Boston University Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
englawyer

Silver

Re: Boston University Class of 2012

Post by englawyer » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:42 am

Any tips on apartment searching? I had friends who went to BU for undergrad who lived in Brookline and Alston. Brookline was really nice, and parts of Alston were as well, although I think I'd prefer an apartment that wasn't previously trashed by undergrads. But it would be really fun to get to play hipster bingo on the T everyday, so there's a plus.
Brookline is good, esp Coolidge Corner area. Stay away from Alston/Brighton as they are filled with undergrads.

Another good option is along the red line: Kendall, Central, Harvard, Porter,Alewife within Cambridge and Davis within Somerville. You can live at any of these places, and take the bus from Central Square to BU (#47). I believe this bus goes right by the law school.

Re: Malden and Medford, I would shy away from there. The commute will be much longer and they don't have nearly as much of a city feel as the places I listed here. They are basically suburbs.

Hope this helps.

MissMiddie

New

Post by MissMiddie » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:34 pm

englawyer wrote:
Any tips on apartment searching? I had friends who went to BU for undergrad who lived in Brookline and Alston. Brookline was really nice, and parts of Alston were as well, although I think I'd prefer an apartment that wasn't previously trashed by undergrads. But it would be really fun to get to play hipster bingo on the T everyday, so there's a plus.
Brookline is good, esp Coolidge Corner area. Stay away from Alston/Brighton as they are filled with undergrads.

Another good option is along the red line: Kendall, Central, Harvard, Porter,Alewife within Cambridge and Davis within Somerville. You can live at any of these places, and take the bus from Central Square to BU (#47). I believe this bus goes right by the law school.

Re: Malden and Medford, I would shy away from there. The commute will be much longer and they don't have nearly as much of a city feel as the places I listed here. They are basically suburbs.

Hope this helps.
I'd be glad to offer advice if you have nuanced questions about locations around campus, if I can help... I'm originally from the Boston area, studied one summer on the BU campus, one summer on the Tufts campus, and have lived in Cambridge (Central Square) for one year and the Financial District of Boston for another since undergrad. I liked all those locales. Right now, I'm not looking to leave Downtown and I'm looking at a 20 minute commute to BU every day from State Street-ish, which seems fine by me--definitely better than finding a place in the BU undergrad territory (although there are FAR fewer friendly/crappy/cheap pizzerias, something the Financial District could definitely benefit from after my long hours of studying next year). My boyfriend lived for the last few years a couple blocks off Coolidge Corner and we LOVED it, so I'd highly recommend the area. Even the interspace between Comm Ave and Beacon is ideal (it's slightly more residential and less student-ish than Allston/Brighton). If you're not looking to stay on campus, I'd also put a plug in for the North End (old, cute, Italian district with really tasty gelaterias...) :) . It might not jump to mind as convenient, but you'd be within a few blocks of North Station (Green Line) and not far from campus (~20 min T ride, which is the same if you were commuting in from Brighton/Cambridge etc). The North End has a very "young professionals" feel, as opposed to "student" feel, which I like. I'd also say that you should stay away from the South End, as it's quaint but relatively inaccessible (not too much convenient public transit).

I'm also with EngLawyer on the whole ixnay-on-Malden/Medford thing. Unnecessarily far outside the city and you definitely don't want to be tempted to drive in. The cost-benefit analysis of a $500/mo. apartment in Malden doesn't seem to favor leaving Boston to me. Feel free to PM me with questions, too. LSN: MiddieMiss

msarick

New

Post by msarick » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:05 pm

Did everyone get invited to the reception tomorrow at the Taj? Is anyone going?

eagleeye12

New

Post by eagleeye12 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:53 pm

msarick wrote:Did everyone get invited to the reception tomorrow at the Taj? Is anyone going?
nope. what did the invite say?

let us know how it was!

goody687

New

Post by goody687 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:30 pm

Any advice on Brookline over Allston/Brighton? I know Brookline is more expensive, but is it worth it? My girlfriend and I have been apartment hunting, but we're from NY and not familiar with the area. Allston seemed to be swarming with undergrads and very loud.

Any thoughts on what areas we should be looking in?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MissMiddie

New

Post by MissMiddie » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:42 am

Goody, Brookline is definitely preferably to Allston/Brighton (at least on the Comm Ave side of things--Brighton on Beacon Street has a far less Animal House feel, if that's what you're looking for). Read above for other locations suggestions. I hope you'll love Boston. Since my bf and I moved here, we couldn't be any more content.

And as for the Taj event, yep, EagleEye, I went. It was fantastic! The invitation was for alums and (Boston-area?) accepted students to celebrate the promotion of Judge Sandra Lynch (BU alum) to the position of Chief on the 1st Circuit CoA. On the rooftop of the Taj Hotel in the Back Bay Friday afternoon. Veeeery nice, on one of the prettiest afternoons all year... Met a few other really nice prospectives, too, as well as a bunch of alums. And hearing Judge Lynch talk about BU and how much we rock made me really psyched to be a part of it all. :D Anyone else go that I might not have bumped into?

msarick

New

Post by msarick » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:30 pm

MissMiddie wrote:Goody, Brookline is definitely preferably to Allston/Brighton (at least on the Comm Ave side of things--Brighton on Beacon Street has a far less Animal House feel, if that's what you're looking for). Read above for other locations suggestions. I hope you'll love Boston. Since my bf and I moved here, we couldn't be any more content.

And as for the Taj event, yep, EagleEye, I went. It was fantastic! The invitation was for alums and (Boston-area?) accepted students to celebrate the promotion of Judge Sandra Lynch (BU alum) to the position of Chief on the 1st Circuit CoA. On the rooftop of the Taj Hotel in the Back Bay Friday afternoon. Veeeery nice, on one of the prettiest afternoons all year... Met a few other really nice prospectives, too, as well as a bunch of alums. And hearing Judge Lynch talk about BU and how much we rock made me really psyched to be a part of it all. :D Anyone else go that I might not have bumped into?
I was there too. Really, as busy I have been this year so far, I haven't had a chance to attend any admitted student days or even tour the campus, so this was my first interaction with BU. I was impressed also. I met a few admitted students (who were easily spot-able thanks to the red-dots on their name tags), but I think the best part was talking to new-ish alumni. They speak alot more at-ease after they've had a few drinks.

GuyNoir, Private Eye

New

Post by GuyNoir, Private Eye » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:13 am

I've heard that broker's fees can be kind of ridiculous...anyone had good/bad experiences with brokers or "from owner" apartments?

Also, does anyone know how often people get off the wait list for BU housing? Like 580 Comm Ave, for example?

mrdal

New

Post by mrdal » Mon May 04, 2009 11:19 pm

I just talked to a buddy of mine in Boston who owns a real estate company. He told me not to tell prospective landlords that I am going to law school. He said he knows it seems crazy, but he has seen this happen a number of times where landlords won't rent for fear of being sued. I, for example, have a child and the whole lead paint issue can be a bit dicey (he also said some people won't rent to families for this reason).

Anyway, it sounded sort of strange to me, but he has lived and worked there his whole life. He said just to say I was going to grad school and leave it at that--make something up if pressed.

I just got off the phone with him so I thought I'd pass this on. Not entirely sure yet if I'll be joining you all this fall. Good luck to everyone trying to find a place that's affordable.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

EJP427

New

Post by EJP427 » Wed May 13, 2009 3:26 pm

Hey guys, I’m starting my apt search with the BU owned properties. But, I hear there is a waiting list and that they are pricy--although 580 Commonwealth looks real nice. It is even worth a look?

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Wed May 13, 2009 3:45 pm

EJP427 wrote:Hey guys, I’m starting my apt search with the BU owned properties. But, I hear there is a waiting list and that they are pricy--although 580 Commonwealth looks real nice. It is even worth a look?
I'm on the WL, and they said to not expect to get off of it. They are EXTREMELY pricey, but the location can't be beat and they are fairly nice. For the 1200 a month, you can just get a 1 bedroom nearby without much of a problem. I'm looking into spending <800 though utilities included.

EJP427

New

Post by EJP427 » Wed May 13, 2009 4:46 pm

Well that sucks. I’m hoping to find a place really close to campus for around 1000 with utilities. I’m from NY, so I’m completely lost in terms of what is a good location. Any suggestions?

BUSL12

New

Post by BUSL12 » Fri May 15, 2009 7:18 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
EJP427 wrote:Hey guys, I’m starting my apt search with the BU owned properties. But, I hear there is a waiting list and that they are pricy--although 580 Commonwealth looks real nice. It is even worth a look?
I'm on the WL, and they said to not expect to get off of it. They are EXTREMELY pricey, but the location can't be beat and they are fairly nice. For the 1200 a month, you can just get a 1 bedroom nearby without much of a problem. I'm looking into spending <800 though utilities included.

I'll be joining you guys this fall. I just got an apartment at 580 Comm Ave. It definitely is pricey. But I think the location is just about perfect.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

EJP427

New

Post by EJP427 » Fri May 22, 2009 9:03 pm

Nice, I heard getting an apartment there was hopeless--lucky. A friend told me to look at apartments in Kenmore Square. Nice studios and close to campus. Hey, anyone have an idea of the professor or direction BU’s new Legislation first-year course will have? Great Harvard copy cat move on their part, really excited to see how it will work.

allenfa

New

Post by allenfa » Sat May 23, 2009 5:30 pm

EJP427 wrote:Hey, anyone have an idea of the professor or direction BU’s new Legislation first-year course will have?
First time I've heard about this, did you learn about this at the ASD?

EJP427

New

Post by EJP427 » Sat May 23, 2009 11:51 pm

I didn't get a chance to attend one of the ASD's, but I have spoken with the Dean and the admissions Dean about curriculum changes. They are adding a new first year course: legislation.

http://www.bu.edu/law/central/jd/academ ... year.shtml.

The international program is expanding, adding new countries and internships possibilities--Hague, ICC and EU antitrust. The first year writing class is 2 credits per semester now, used to be 1. The curve is a firm B+ now also, there were some old school professors not adhering. Students tell me that some still don’t use it, however. A lot of the changes are recent moves by the out-going student government association.

allenfa

New

Post by allenfa » Mon May 25, 2009 1:56 pm

Thanks for the info!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Mon May 25, 2009 2:08 pm

Anyone else who is looking for apartments find that the Realtors in the Brighton/Allston area are horrible? They just try to squeeze every dime out of you and change anything you previously agreed upon at the drop of a hat. After signing all the preliminary forms, my Realtor came back and changed her mind on the price to a higher amount. Seriously? I'm not some stupid undergrad... ugh.... just needed to vent.

CaptainSnuggleBunny

New

Post by CaptainSnuggleBunny » Mon May 25, 2009 2:16 pm

I think what we need is for one of us to buy a building on commonwealth ave and rent it out to fellow incoming 1Ls.

Anyone got a few G's and the credit history to pull this off?

jpaul09

New

Post by jpaul09 » Mon May 25, 2009 9:20 pm

Just to let you guys know, I was up in the BU area last week, and there seemed to be some studios/1-bedrooms on Bay State (lower end of Bay State, not owned by BU) for rent. It might be worth looking into. I knew someone who lived in one during undergrad, and they're pretty quiet, good location, etc. I didn't catch the realty company, but if anyone's in the Boston area, it might be worth a look.

Have fun in August -- BU is in a great area.

allenfa

New

Post by allenfa » Mon May 25, 2009 11:18 pm

Has anyone checked out one of the charles river BU owned rental apartments? If so how do they generally compare to non-BU owned places in the area? Thanks for your help.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Tue May 26, 2009 8:13 am

allenfa wrote:Has anyone checked out one of the charles river BU owned rental apartments? If so how do they generally compare to non-BU owned places in the area? Thanks for your help.
Expensive/small... obviously though the location can't be beat.

djcartier

New

Post by djcartier » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:17 pm

Hey guys,

Just decided that I'll be attending BU this fall!

A few questions for you:

1. Do any of you BU 2012'ers live in NYC? I was thinking about organizing some sort of happy hour/meetup, etc to get to know the class before we all head to Bean Town.

2. Does anyone have any opinions about the grad school housing that I'm assuming BU offers?

Thanks and looking forward to meeting you all soon!

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:22 pm

djcartier wrote:Hey guys,

Just decided that I'll be attending BU this fall!

A few questions for you:

1. Do any of you BU 2012'ers live in NYC? I was thinking about organizing some sort of happy hour/meetup, etc to get to know the class before we all head to Bean Town.

2. Does anyone have any opinions about the grad school housing that I'm assuming BU offers?

Thanks and looking forward to meeting you all soon!
Grad housing has a massive waitlist... I would call up residential life asap if you're interested in it.
I'd be down for a NYC HH. I'm in Jersey, so it'd be an easy/quick train ride for me.

msarick

New

Post by msarick » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:35 pm

BU does offer grad housing, although I'm not sure what the draw is. Cheaper housing is available around the school. Check out the BU Law Class of 2012 FB group or the roommate referral section of the school's website. You can find much better options.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”