Boston University Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Re: Boston University Class of 2012

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:43 pm

Last edited by Richie Tenenbaum on Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dark

New

Post by dark » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:49 am

mrxismyhro wrote:did anyone go to the March ASD? if so, how was it?
I did, it was ok. There were presentations on career prospects/the career office, financial aid, and student life.

There was also an example class. They made career prospects sound really good for the Boston area, although when I talked to a student he said BU student's get a little shafted for internships and summer opportunities b/c of competition with Harvard and other prestigious schools in the area.

They made living in Boston sound easy and convienient. But when I talked to some students, many of them were doubling up in single bedroom studios to save on rent, which seemed to be between $1000 - $1600 per month depending on where you lived.

The Professor burst into song about a case we were talking about in the example class. That didn't completely jive with my ideas of what law school would be like, but apparently he's a favorite prof at the school.

ZakD

New

Post by ZakD » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:33 am

dark wrote:
mrxismyhro wrote:did anyone go to the March ASD? if so, how was it?
I did, it was ok. There were presentations on career prospects/the career office, financial aid, and student life.

There was also an example class. They made career prospects sound really good for the Boston area, although when I talked to a student he said BU student's get a little shafted for internships and summer opportunities b/c of competition with Harvard and other prestigious schools in the area.

They made living in Boston sound easy and convienient. But when I talked to some students, many of them were doubling up in single bedroom studios to save on rent, which seemed to be between $1000 - $1600 per month depending on where you lived.

The Professor burst into song about a case we were talking about in the example class. That didn't completely jive with my ideas of what law school would be like, but apparently he's a favorite prof at the school.

+1 I remember the admitted student's video mentions something to that effect. "A professor who raps about cases" was how they put it. I agree that this isn't necessarily the most appealing method of instruction for me personally, but everyone on the video really seemed to enjoy it. Of course, they aren't going to include a bunch of griping, bitter students in their admissions video,

tempurabanana

New

Post by tempurabanana » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:54 pm

Any tips on apartment searching? I had friends who went to BU for undergrad who lived in Brookline and Alston. Brookline was really nice, and parts of Alston were as well, although I think I'd prefer an apartment that wasn't previously trashed by undergrads. But it would be really fun to get to play hipster bingo on the T everyday, so there's a plus.

However, I was talking to a friend who lives in Somerville and commutes into the city to work (he works in Cambridge, right across the river from BU) and he said it's really easy to live anywhere in the city and commute to anywhere- even as far away as Malden and Medford. I'll probably have my car with me, but I was planning on using the MBTA to get around for school. Do you all have any opinions on this? Are there places to park the car (oh god, I am going to love this city) near BU? Would I seriously regret living in Malden and taking a 45min to hour long T ride everyday?

reveal98

New

Post by reveal98 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:15 am

I got the call earlier this week and don't know how to log in to the Admitted Students site. I emailed asking for the login info so I can check out the website, but I won't hear until at least Monday, and would like to book last minute travel to ASD before then.

Is it on April 3 or April 4?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

srb

New

Post by srb » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:59 am

Whatever Friday is. 4/3 I think.

mrxismyhro

New

Post by mrxismyhro » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:03 am

it's on april 3rd. the usn and password are the same for everyone, but i forgot what they are and am not anywhere close to my acceptance packet, so i can't exactly help you on that front. however, i will be at ASD next week with ya!

mrxismyhro

New

Post by mrxismyhro » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:07 am

tempurabanana wrote:Any tips on apartment searching? I had friends who went to BU for undergrad who lived in Brookline and Alston. Brookline was really nice, and parts of Alston were as well, although I think I'd prefer an apartment that wasn't previously trashed by undergrads. But it would be really fun to get to play hipster bingo on the T everyday, so there's a plus.

However, I was talking to a friend who lives in Somerville and commutes into the city to work (he works in Cambridge, right across the river from BU) and he said it's really easy to live anywhere in the city and commute to anywhere- even as far away as Malden and Medford. I'll probably have my car with me, but I was planning on using the MBTA to get around for school. Do you all have any opinions on this? Are there places to park the car (oh god, I am going to love this city) near BU? Would I seriously regret living in Malden and taking a 45min to hour long T ride everyday?
from what ive heard from friends who are 1L's, a big convenience of living close by is that you get more time on take-home finals. When you're given 6 hours for a test that can make or break your internship opportunities and 2L interviews, i guess the extra few minutes might be worth it. just something to consider :-)

tempurabanana

New

Post by tempurabanana » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:59 am

mrxismyhro wrote: from what ive heard from friends who are 1L's, a big convenience of living close by is that you get more time on take-home finals. When you're given 6 hours for a test that can make or break your internship opportunities and 2L interviews, i guess the extra few minutes might be worth it. just something to consider :-)
Thanks! That's an excellent point that I would've never even thought to consider. I assume the library would be the first place to fill up, too. Although how close is close? I mean, if you're living in Alston, you can still be looking at a 30 minute subway ride, right? Where do the people you know live?

Also, laptops. I had an Apple Powerbook all throughout undergrad and loved it. I never had problems with Mac compatibility, and that was on a G4. It's on its way out now (5 years, the battery life is dying and it's getting a little slow) and I really want to get a new Apple. I see that under the technology requirement they say not to get an Apple computer because it will not run the test-taking software. But how on earth can that be a problem if you're running windows under Bootcamp or Parallels? Is that just the IT guys not wanting to have to deal with Mac users?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mrdal

New

Post by mrdal » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:42 pm

The question about macs came up at the ASD. Many students do use macs. I'm a mac user and will probably get one. Over my spring break I traveled to 4 different schools and set in on classes. I saw about an even split between mac and pc users. The question also came up on each tour and macs seemed no problem. At BU this was stated by both the student panel and by the 3L that sat at my table at lunch.

Fuser

New

Post by Fuser » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:24 am

Does anyone know why BU estimates so little for living expenses in their student budget?

h_frog_88

New

Post by h_frog_88 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:17 am

Fuser wrote:Does anyone know why BU estimates so little for living expenses in their student budget?
Ya I second this, and I was wondering for those of you who visited... did they mention what % of the class ends up in CA?

Fuser

New

Post by Fuser » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:39 pm

h_frog_88 wrote:
Fuser wrote:Does anyone know why BU estimates so little for living expenses in their student budget?
Ya I second this, and I was wondering for those of you who visited... did they mention what % of the class ends up in CA?

I didn't make it up to ASD, but I remember seeing a statistic that around 10% ended up in CA. Also if you look up that tool for searching lawyers in California that someone posted around here, you can see that there are a lot of BU grads. I also spoke to a 1L and he said that although most people end up in NYC or DC, a lot of people do make their way out to CA, but it takes a little more work, although LA firms do go for OCI apparently.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:31 am

Yea... I called them out on that at ASD. Theres no way you are going to get away with what they budgeted and eat more than ramen.

I am mailing my seat deposit today. I am actually pretty stoked about BU after talking to a family friend who is a recruiter in the fed government.

MissMiddie

New

Post by MissMiddie » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:37 pm

Just sent in my seat deposit. :D

eagleeye12

New

Post by eagleeye12 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:44 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
I am mailing my seat deposit today. I am actually pretty stoked about BU after talking to a family friend who is a recruiter in the fed government.

Can you expand more on this? what did the recruiter say? I'm probably sending my seat deposit in tomorrow to BU, but I'd love to hear more about government opportunities just to reassure myself that I'm making the right decision.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:13 pm

eagleeye12 wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:

Can you expand more on this? what did the recruiter say? I'm probably sending my seat deposit in tomorrow to BU, but I'd love to hear more about government opportunities just to reassure myself that I'm making the right decision.
Well.... he put BU/GW in the same bracket for gov. jobs... that was my big reservation about BU. Although, GW does have more internship opportunities during the school year which can tip an application for any agency. Prestige-wise though, he thought they were interchangeable.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

btrflykss12

New

Post by btrflykss12 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:59 pm

Hand-delivered my deposit today. Also one to BC. Hope I can make up my mind soon!

dk8

Bronze

Post by dk8 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:23 pm

Those of you who received money...did you fill out the scholarship form before you were accepted?

srb

New

Post by srb » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:26 pm

dk8 wrote:Those of you who received money...did you fill out the scholarship form before you were accepted?
No, didn't fill anything out.

Le deposit was delivered today. Looking like BU it is, barring any miracles. Fantastically happy about it!

btrflykss12

New

Post by btrflykss12 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:41 am

This board has been quiet for awhile. Have people made final decisions to attend BU? Anyone looking for apartments or roommates? Where do you want to live?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:50 am

btrflykss12 wrote:This board has been quiet for awhile. Have people made final decisions to attend BU? Anyone looking for apartments or roommates? Where do you want to live?
Seems like thats where I'll definitely be. Looking in the Allston/Brighton area for now. As for roommates, I'm still poking around.... is everyone planning on finding a place soon? I'm thinking I need to fly up and just get a place, then worry about finding roommates afterwords, some of the people I talked to were trying to get a place as cheap as humanly possibly, and for my first year I'd honestly rather pay a little more and be closer/not live in a dump.

btrflykss12

New

Post by btrflykss12 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:18 pm

I'm not looking for a place / roommates just yet. I'm still hoping to get off a WL and don't want to screw anyone else by having them depend on me and then leaving mid-summer.

zizou

New

Post by zizou » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:29 am

I am looking for apartments in Allston and Brookline. Still trying to decide whether to bring two cats up because that complicates the whole room mate issue (long story short don't get cats with a girlfriend who lives in an apartment that doesn't allow animals, you will break up and you will still have the cats).

CaptainSnuggleBunny

New

Post by CaptainSnuggleBunny » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:45 am

I'm still hoping to make it off some wait list, but I expect to be apartment hunting in Boston soon.

I won't live in an apartment with television (well, a TV and a DVD player or something is cool, but no commercial programming)

I'd also rather avoid pets.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”