George Mason Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
awaiting

New

Re: George Mason Class of 2012

Post by awaiting » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:14 am

Anyone else concerned by GMU's slow ranking drops in the past two years? What if it slides back to T3???

uknowme

New

Post by uknowme » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:16 am

absolutely. the state of virginia needs to give this school some money!

pomona

Bronze

Post by pomona » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:20 am

uknowme wrote:absolutely. the state of virginia needs to give this school some money!
Alternatively, they need to do more to attract more out-of-staters to bring in more tuition or they need to do a better job in development/fundraising.

MrMet

New

Post by MrMet » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:21 am

Here is a supposed leak of the list. http://i41.tinypic.com/rvalag.jpg

Note: I am not sure (even doubtful) that it is real

It has Mason sliding to 41. Interesting to see how GW and W&L fell back as well. Indiana moved up alot (23) - I know some other people were choosing between Mason/Indiana.

PubIntLawyer

New

Post by PubIntLawyer » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:43 am

I was very surprised by GMU's fall. I really expected them to move up a bit considering how they've been raising their gpa/lsats. Do you think they'll bounce back? However, GW's massive fall more than made up for it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

awaiting

New

Post by awaiting » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:44 am

MrMet wrote:Here is a supposed leak of the list. http://i41.tinypic.com/rvalag.jpg

Note: I am not sure (even doubtful) that it is real

It has Mason sliding to 41. Interesting to see how GW and W&L fell back as well. Indiana moved up alot (23) - I know some other people were choosing between Mason/Indiana.
Sorry to say, MrMet, but you are sooooo behind the times.

awaiting

New

Post by awaiting » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:47 am

PubIntLawyer wrote:I was very surprised by GMU's fall. I really expected them to move up a bit considering how they've been raising their gpa/lsats. Do you think they'll bounce back? However, GW's massive fall more than made up for it.
I sincerely think that next year's rankings will be completely different again, if only because the economy is changing so many past patterns of which schools people picked and applied to. I think GMU's free app and cheap tuition are in its favor.

Did anyone get that alumni magazine where the alumni president was saying he awaited GMU pushing past W&M in the rankings? Never gonna happen now...

MrMet

New

Post by MrMet » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:45 pm

awaiting wrote:Sorry to say, MrMet, but you are sooooo behind the times.
Yes, I know, but nobody posted in this thread so I thought it was worth posting, given the recent conversation about US News.
awaiting wrote:I think GMU's free app and cheap tuition are in its favor.
I think to further that, the low acceptance rate and the smaller class should help. Class os 2012 is going to be almost 100 smaller than 2011, or so they said Saturday at ASW.
awaiting wrote:Did anyone get that alumni magazine where the alumni president was saying he awaited GMU pushing past W&M in the rankings? Never gonna happen now...
I saw that too. It seemed very interesting that there was such a focus on W&M, since W&M is so far away. I think of it more as a southern school then a DC one.

AbsolutLax

New

Post by AbsolutLax » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:38 pm

I sincerely think that next year's rankings will be completely different again, if only because the economy is changing so many past patterns of which schools people picked and applied to. I think GMU's free app and cheap tuition are in its favor.

Did anyone get that alumni magazine where the alumni president was saying he awaited GMU pushing past W&M in the rankings? Never gonna happen now...
I disagree. You say it yourself, "next year's rankings will be completely different again." I don't think there is any way for us to know what is going to happen next, these rankings threw everyone off. Schools were making jumps as large as 15 ranks. I agree that it looks unlikely now, but I wouldn't say never.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

awaiting

New

Post by awaiting » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:38 am

Any word on new scholarships?

texas08

New

Post by texas08 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:57 am

awaiting wrote:Any word on new scholarships?
I heard back from Alison Price yesterday, according to her their scholarship account is actually overdrawn and they aren't currently extending any more offers although they may later. While she offered to keep me under consideration, I had to withdraw. I have an offer of in-state plus a stipend from W&M and I can't afford to double deposit so I had to go with my current best offer.

I have to say that GMU has been one of the best interactions (besides W&M) that I have had with any Admissions office. That alone placed them high on my list. So anyways, good luck to all of you going to GMU; it's a great school!

KristaLyn

New

Post by KristaLyn » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:51 pm

texas08 wrote:
awaiting wrote:Any word on new scholarships?
I heard back from Alison Price yesterday, according to her their scholarship account is actually overdrawn and they aren't currently extending any more offers although they may later. While she offered to keep me under consideration, I had to withdraw. I have an offer of in-state plus a stipend from W&M and I can't afford to double deposit so I had to go with my current best offer.

I have to say that GMU has been one of the best interactions (besides W&M) that I have had with any Admissions office. That alone placed them high on my list. So anyways, good luck to all of you going to GMU; it's a great school!
I got a very similar email, she was very nice but stated they were overdrawn by about $20,000 and there might be more later, but she cant say when. I definately think they will probably go out one at a time rather than a 'second round'.

AbsolutLax

New

Post by AbsolutLax » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:49 pm

Anyone else concerned by GMU's slow ranking drops in the past two years? What if it slides back to T3???
:roll:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DCDeckard

New

Post by DCDeckard » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:42 pm

How are you notified of scholarships (assuming more money rolls in?) I sent in my tax forms over a month ago and didn't hear anything. Granted my LSAT isn't amazing but my GPA is well over their 75% so I figured I would at least get something.

pomona

Bronze

Post by pomona » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:36 am

DCDeckard wrote:How are you notified of scholarships (assuming more money rolls in?) I sent in my tax forms over a month ago and didn't hear anything. Granted my LSAT isn't amazing but my GPA is well over their 75% so I figured I would at least get something.
I got a letter in the mail.

*kiki*

New

Post by *kiki* » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:57 pm

Both scholarship offers and financial aid letters come via snail mail. I know that at least the first round of these has gone out because I have now received both letters. Does anyone remember if they said when our financial aid would come in for law school? I read that tuition is due the first week of school, and I know it wasn't uncommon at my undergrad not to receive our financial aid until a couple of weeks into the semester.

sapereaude2012

New

Post by sapereaude2012 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:40 pm

For those of you concerned about the slight slip in the rankings, take a look at this thread http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =2&t=69832

GW's Dean sent a letter to students that made deposits explaining the change in methodology re: full and part-time programs and how this may have caused GW's ranking to slip.

It could be the case that the same thing is occurring with George Mason. I'm not saying it is, but a 3-spot drop is negligible anyway. I also don't buy into the slow and steady decline idea, and I have to admit that at the ASW I was pretty impressed with the new faculty hires and Arlington II looks like it will be sweet.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mceese31

New

Post by mceese31 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:52 am

pomona

Bronze

Post by pomona » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:21 pm

Very impressed with the USB! So small and 2GB!

sugarcat

New

Post by sugarcat » Fri May 01, 2009 4:35 pm

Has anyone received information about their User ID and Pin # for the Patriot Web? The reason I ask is that it seems my financial aid paperwork has not yet been processed, and I understand you can check the status on the web. I tried to enter my birthdate as a PIN per the instructions on the site but was unsuccessful. Am I missing something or just jumping the gun?

jasica

New

Post by jasica » Wed May 06, 2009 2:00 am

This link seemed pretty informative...

http://masonshoes-fans.com

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sapereaude2012

New

Post by sapereaude2012 » Sat May 09, 2009 3:40 pm

I just got in to GW part-time off of the waitlist, so it's looking like I won't be joining you guys next fall after all. I haven't completely made my decision, but I'm leaning GW right now...

DCDeckard

New

Post by DCDeckard » Wed May 13, 2009 6:51 pm

sugarcat wrote:Has anyone received information about their User ID and Pin # for the Patriot Web? The reason I ask is that it seems my financial aid paperwork has not yet been processed, and I understand you can check the status on the web. I tried to enter my birthdate as a PIN per the instructions on the site but was unsuccessful. Am I missing something or just jumping the gun?
Same problem for me.

hawklaw

New

Post by hawklaw » Wed May 13, 2009 11:10 pm

So did everyone find a place to live? Any good deals? I am looking for apartments but it is pretty frustrating.

jdhead

New

Post by jdhead » Thu May 14, 2009 5:05 am

I really liked Dittmar Company's apartments in and around Arlington. Relatively inexpensive mid to high rises. Moving into "The Amelia" in August.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”