George Mason Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
AbsolutLax

New

George Mason Class of 2012

Post by AbsolutLax » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:01 pm

For those who are pretty sure they will be attending GM next fall.

PubIntLawyer

New

Re: George Mason Class of 2012

Post by PubIntLawyer » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:26 pm

I just visited and loved it! Unless I get into George Washington I will definately be here in the fall!!!!

slsklaver

New

Post by slsklaver » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:51 pm

Yay! Me too. Are you guys going to the ASW?

screech

New

Post by screech » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:53 pm

I'm visiting in early March. Not sure about ASW. slsklaver, didn't you start a facebook group? I'm now one of 3 members. :)

slsklaver

New

Post by slsklaver » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:58 pm

The other guy did, but I'm in there. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

spartjdawg

New

Post by spartjdawg » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:30 pm

I'm there....seat deposit already in!!! :D

StCuervo

New

Post by StCuervo » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:06 pm

I may join you all. Still have to decide...

... I have to say there are some Mason-haters on these boards. Y'all need to regulate on that...

pomona

Bronze

Post by pomona » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:08 pm

StCuervo wrote:I may join you all. Still have to decide...

... I have to say there are some Mason-haters on these boards. Y'all need to regulate on that...
Why do you suppose that is?

AbsolutLax

New

Post by AbsolutLax » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:57 pm

Plain and simple; Mason is a new school and is still proving itself- people love to hear their own voice, and in this case, read their own text- I know the haters on TLS and I choose not to respond to fake data and false accusations . Notice it's always people from out of the area.. As long as you do the research and you are happy with it, thats all that matters. A big reason I'm focused on Mason is the price tag. Money talk$

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

darkknight2000

New

Post by darkknight2000 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:07 pm

Congrats guys! While mason was one of my top choices, I ended up choosing another school. But george mason is a great school and I'm sure you all will be very happy with your experience there. Ignore all those haters that rag on it. Best of luck!

PubIntLawyer

New

Post by PubIntLawyer » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:28 am

I'm on top of it! Have you seend the CUA>GMU post? Blasphemy.

PubIntLawyer

New

Post by PubIntLawyer » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:29 am

PubIntLawyer wrote:

I'm on top of it! Have you seend the CUA>GMU post? Blasphemy.
*seen

StCuervo

New

Post by StCuervo » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:14 am

PubIntLawyer wrote:

I'm on top of it! Have you seen the CUA>GMU post? Blasphemy.
This? Ridiculous....

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cavalierHoo

New

Post by cavalierHoo » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:10 pm

I have read and heard that Mason is going to drop big now that it doesn't have the Bush Admin. bringing conservative GM grads into the federal government/DOJ. I can see that happening too.

CUA > GM could be in the near future. New schools can fall as quick as they rise.

Those considering GM - Beware!

badlydrawn

Bronze

Post by badlydrawn » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:11 pm

cavalierHoo wrote:I have read and heard that Mason is going to drop big now that it doesn't have the Bush Admin. bringing conservative GM grads into the federal government/DOJ. I can see that happening too.

CUA > GM could be in the near future. New schools can fall as quick as they rise.

Those considering GM - Beware!
Poppycock.

screech

New

Post by screech » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:19 pm

Absolute Poppycock.

interestedbyestander

New

Post by interestedbyestander » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:21 pm

I'm not a Mason hater but I have heard the same. Don't shoot the messenger.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

screech

New

Post by screech » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:28 pm

Bush didn't put American or GW out of business.

interestedbyestander

New

Post by interestedbyestander » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:30 pm

screech wrote:Bush didn't put American or GW out of business.

Perhaps not, but history may prove he did it to everyone else in this country. :shock:

AbsolutLax

New

Post by AbsolutLax » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:40 pm

People will say anything to get a rise

StCuervo

New

Post by StCuervo » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:22 am

cavalierHoo wrote:I have read and heard that Mason is going to drop big now that it doesn't have the Bush Admin. bringing conservative GM grads into the federal government/DOJ. I can see that happening too.

Those schools are 50 spaces apart! Sure it "might" happen -- anything is possible afterall -- but you might as well predict Syracuse will surpass Hastings in the rankings... Not in the "near future" by any stretch of the imagination. My God. Has anything like that happened in the history of US News?

And, realistically, what part of GMU's rankings are due to the Bush Administration? The peer assessment score? The lawyer/judges assessment score? Selectivity? All of those things will stay about the same regardless of who is in power. 15% of Mason grads go into government and 98% of Mason grads are employed at graduation. So a change in employment prospects for the political appointees (most government employees go in on the civil service track where partisanship doesn't play a role) of a small percentage of Mason grads is going to drive GMU down fifty spaces in the rankings? Preposterous.

cavalierHoo and interestedbyestander, you may have "heard" this but, good God, didn't your mothers teach you not to believe everything you hear.

Someone once told me that evolution didn't happen, that Clinton snorted coke off the dead body of Vince Foster and that America will break up into five nations within the next five years...

... but, hey, don't shoot the messenger

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sugarcat

New

Post by sugarcat » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:13 am

Well put, StCuervo!

Boo and hiss to the naysayers - this thread is for the GMU Law Class of 2012! Represent!

And by the way. If I had a dime for every rumor or tidbit that someone on TLS "heard" was true but turned out to be misinformed malarkey, I'd probably be a bankin' ass gal by now. :wink:

[And yes, I may have a miniscule number of posts but I'm one of those creepy long time lurkers, so I've seen my share of malarkey.]

tchadwick

New

Post by tchadwick » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:14 pm

I just e-mailed Alison Price on Friday, checking on the status of my application at GMU (they had misfiled an addendum that I had sent in earlier, so I didn't feel too guilty about bothering her for an update...) She replied that she was out of the office that day, but would get back to me on Monday. Hope it is good news!!

Here's my (small) problem... GMU would be one of my top 2 picks, definately. However, my husband is not too keen on the idea. Mostly because of housing concerns (cost/safety). Plus, although I do want to work in D.C. someday, moving there from the Midwest without any contacts/family/friends and without much knowledge of the area seems a little intimidating. I've only been there once, in eighth grade...

Anyway, I'm really just spinning my wheels until I hear about a decision. Oh, by the way, I caught the GMU v. VCU game on Saturday. I love watching college hoops... hope they get their groove back! Somewhat on a tangent -- I've been accepted at Wake Forest and have been considering it as well. I watched their game last Wednesday, and they went down in a close game to a lower ranked team, too! I now officially feel like I'm bad luck to prospective school b-ball teams ...

StCuervo

New

Post by StCuervo » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:17 pm

tchadwick wrote:I just e-mailed Alison Price on Friday, checking on the status of my application at GMU (they had misfiled an addendum that I had sent in earlier, so I didn't feel too guilty about bothering her for an update...) She replied that she was out of the office that day, but would get back to me on Monday. Hope it is good news!!

Here's my (small) problem... GMU would be one of my top 2 picks, definately. However, my husband is not too keen on the idea. Mostly because of housing concerns (cost/safety). Plus, although I do want to work in D.C. someday, moving there from the Midwest without any contacts/family/friends and without much knowledge of the area seems a little intimidating. I've only been there once, in eighth grade...

...Somewhat on a tangent -- I've been accepted at Wake Forest and have been considering it as well.
If you know you want to work in DC, you want to go to Mason over Wake -- no question. If you go to Wake, the odds are great that you will be stuck in North Carolina since 82% of Wake grads stay in state. Mason, in contrast, offers lots of opportunities for internships and externships in the DC because it is 5-10 minutes away.

Winston-Salem has about 300,000 people while the DC-metro area has 3,000,000. You didn't say what your husband does but, odds are, he will find more opportunities here than he would if you went to Wake. As for the culture, tell him DC is the city where "Southern efficiency meets Northern charm." He should be right at home -- at least with the Southern efficiency part.

I have a wife and kid (and another on the way) and currently live in the Northern Virginia suburbs of DC (Falls Church). I would not worry about crime at all in NOVA. Cost is an issue but, if you look, you can find a reasonable place to live. The Metro (subway) goes right to Mason so you don't even need to have a car. Feel free to PM me if you have questions about the area.

Good luck on your apps.

slsklaver

New

Post by slsklaver » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:21 am

Is anyone attending the pt program? If so, are you planning on working fulltime?

Could any GMU L1's give some feedback on how difficult it's going to be?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”