Minnesota '12 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
ehshornet

New

Re: Minnesota '12

Post by ehshornet » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:27 am

3yearsnoprob wrote:hey any entering 1Ls from Cali?
Check out this thread from last year. In it "worldtraveler" talks about how he moved from MN to Cali and he comments on the quality of life. Also I think "bociferous" is from Cali as well.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 9&start=25

At the end of that thread, there is a link to last year's Minnesota class, and I think they might talk a little about the weather/city/school.

Hope that helps!

jellybean

New

Post by jellybean » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:23 am

i am a california native who will be starting as a 1L at the U in the fall, and looking forward to it!

does anyone have an idea as to when we should start looking for housing/roomates, etc?

Paul

New

Post by Paul » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:35 am

Yeah, the big apartment complexes near the school (the ones from the admitted students site) can probably forecast fall availability and get you set up now. I visited the GrandMarc site and this seemed possible.

It seems many recommend not living near the law school, though. The TLS thread linked above discusses some alternatives, and I have talked to one former law student who said she wishes she hadn't lived close to the school - even for 1L. I don't entirely understand this. I get that the area around the school doesn't offer much to do, but the reason people suggest living close to the entertainment is that the public transit is good and you can get to school so easily. But if the public transit is so good, wouldn't the opposite be true, that you can get from the school to the entertainment easily? I think I would rather deal with a commute going to enjoy myself than trying to get to class. This isn't what people say though. Maybe it's best to trust them.

If looking outside these larger complexes, I don't know if it is possible to get anything arranged yet. Most craigslist ads up now have July 1 or earlier move-in dates.

MidwestJosh

Bronze

Post by MidwestJosh » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:42 pm

Paul wrote:Yeah, the big apartment complexes near the school (the ones from the admitted students site) can probably forecast fall availability and get you set up now. I visited the GrandMarc site and this seemed possible.

It seems many recommend not living near the law school, though. The TLS thread linked above discusses some alternatives, and I have talked to one former law student who said she wishes she hadn't lived close to the school - even for 1L. I don't entirely understand this. I get that the area around the school doesn't offer much to do, but the reason people suggest living close to the entertainment is that the public transit is good and you can get to school so easily. But if the public transit is so good, wouldn't the opposite be true, that you can get from the school to the entertainment easily? I think I would rather deal with a commute going to enjoy myself than trying to get to class. This isn't what people say though. Maybe it's best to trust them.

If looking outside these larger complexes, I don't know if it is possible to get anything arranged yet. Most craigslist ads up now have July 1 or earlier move-in dates.

Paul... Being from Minneapolis I can comment on this..

The public transportation during the day is GREAT. But getting back to school late at night would be a bit more difficult. Granted it wouldn't be THAT bad, I see what they're saying.

Uptown is probably a better overall bet. You're going to be immersed in law school enough.. no need to feel like you're living there.

MidwestJosh

Bronze

Post by MidwestJosh » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:00 pm

Enygma:

You should get a list going in the Opening Post of those who will be attending.

You can add me..

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

milag64

New

Post by milag64 » Sat May 02, 2009 9:51 am

I will be attending as well...deposit going in today!

Hurrah!

DCDeckard

New

Post by DCDeckard » Wed May 06, 2009 9:38 am

Anyone know when UMN will be done evaluating apps? I still haven't received a decision.

3yearsnoprob

New

Post by 3yearsnoprob » Tue May 12, 2009 2:33 am

Last edited by 3yearsnoprob on Wed May 13, 2009 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

badlydrawn

Bronze

Post by badlydrawn » Tue May 12, 2009 11:29 pm

How difficult is this going to be without a car? I'm considering living in Uptown. Which buses can I take to get to and fro? Tell me all you know. Don't bother trying to linking a transit map; I can't read the damn thing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DCDeckard

New

Post by DCDeckard » Wed May 13, 2009 10:33 am

Hey everyone, recent admittee here. I just got a link to the admitted students site but don't have my student ID number to check my financial aid status. Do I have to wait for my packet to arrive to get my ID# or is there somewhere I can find it online? Thanks.

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Wed May 13, 2009 1:56 pm

badlydrawn wrote:How difficult is this going to be without a car? I'm considering living in Uptown. Which buses can I take to get to and fro? Tell me all you know. Don't bother trying to linking a transit map; I can't read the damn thing.
There's a transportation center in Uptown, so there will be tons of buses, including express buses, in to the U.

We're looking in Tangletown and East Harriet, and according to the transit map, from our first choice house, it'll take me about 15 minutes to get to the law school on the express bus. That works for me. I'd much rather live out by the lakes and Uptown and enjoy whatever time I have away from school.

We've been here two weeks tomorrow, and so far, the town seems great.

Paul

New

Post by Paul » Wed May 13, 2009 5:15 pm

As to transportation, the express bus routes are the 114 and 115. They both go directly from the north part of Uptown (or what I understand to be the north part of Uptown) to the Law School via I94. The trip reportedly takes 6 minutes. The departure point in Uptown is Hennepin Ave and Franklin Ave for one and Lyndale Ave and Franklin Ave for the other, I think. The farther south you live in Uptown the longer the commute will obviously be. But that is pretty fantastic either way. I visited this past weekend and have contact info for apt management companies in this area. If anyone would be interested in that.

Imperious

New

Post by Imperious » Wed May 13, 2009 7:54 pm

After being waitlisted for 5 months, I received the phone call yesterday. Not only was I let in, but I was offered a $10,000 scholarship!

What happened? Well about a week ago I submitted general rec letters from my DC internships. Add-ons seemed to do the trick!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

3yearsnoprob

New

Post by 3yearsnoprob » Wed May 13, 2009 8:44 pm

DCDeckard wrote:Hey everyone, recent admittee here. I just got a link to the admitted students site but don't have my student ID number to check my financial aid status. Do I have to wait for my packet to arrive to get my ID# or is there somewhere I can find it online? Thanks.
I received my ID through email a few weeks after I received my letter over the mail.

enygma

Bronze

Post by enygma » Thu May 14, 2009 5:30 pm

MidwestJosh wrote:Enygma:

You should get a list going in the Opening Post of those who will be attending.

You can add me..
since i'm not going, i'm probably not going to be following this thread much. not even sure why i checked in actually...

enygma

Bronze

Post by enygma » Thu May 14, 2009 5:32 pm

badlydrawn wrote:How difficult is this going to be without a car? I'm considering living in Uptown. Which buses can I take to get to and fro? Tell me all you know. Don't bother trying to linking a transit map; I can't read the damn thing.
bussing from uptown to the law school is super easy. there are a ton of different ones that'll get you there. and if you're a biker it's a really great commute as well. http://www.metrotransit.org if you wanna check out possible bus schedules.

DCDeckard

New

Post by DCDeckard » Thu May 14, 2009 6:54 pm

Hi all. Accepted regular decision last Friday, received my admissions envelope today. It only contains my acceptance letter and response form. Was this the case for you guys? Also, how were you informed about financial aid? Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Spaceman_Stiff

New

Post by Spaceman_Stiff » Thu May 14, 2009 6:58 pm

Not sure about financial aid yet, although I was just admitted off the wait list.

I have a feeling they are waiting to see how many people are accepting what aid offers they have out now before issuing anything.

I've never been to Minneapolis, everybody tells me it is fantastic though; I'm in Boston right now and while I like the area I don't LOVE it. How does Minneapolis compare?

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Fri May 15, 2009 12:17 am

Peter0061 wrote:Not sure about financial aid yet, although I was just admitted off the wait list.

I have a feeling they are waiting to see how many people are accepting what aid offers they have out now before issuing anything.

I've never been to Minneapolis, everybody tells me it is fantastic though; I'm in Boston right now and while I like the area I don't LOVE it. How does Minneapolis compare?
I did my UG in Boston, along with a few years post-UG. I liked it well enough when I was there, but looking back, it really wasn't that great.

I'm now in Minneapolis, and absolutely love it. Granted it's only been two weeks, so I'm probably not a reputable source, however, if you like the fact that people actually got out of the buildings in Boston, take that times ten out here. At least where I live (around the lakes) this is the case. The food is good, museums and theater seem very decent, and outdoor activities surpass Beantown.

I'm just amazed at the number of people I see outside. Maybe because they've all been trapped inside all winter. But it really is stunning. I can't wait to move into our house on June 1 and get organized/moving.

milag64

New

Post by milag64 » Fri May 15, 2009 10:57 am

Hey all,
Looking for a roommate or two, male or female doesn't matter (I'm female), just someone who is relatively clean. I'd love to live with someone who has a dog or cat, and I would be happy to help out with walks and feeding and such. Downtown or uptown, i'm ok with either, as long as its no more than a 1 bus trip to the law school.

Hit me up if you are interested.

Thanks!

Spaceman_Stiff

New

Post by Spaceman_Stiff » Sat May 16, 2009 2:29 pm

mbw wrote:
Peter0061 wrote:Not sure about financial aid yet, although I was just admitted off the wait list.

I did my UG in Boston, along with a few years post-UG. I liked it well enough when I was there, but looking back, it really wasn't that great.

I'm now in Minneapolis, and absolutely love it. Granted it's only been two weeks, so I'm probably not a reputable source, however, if you like the fact that people actually got out of the buildings in Boston, take that times ten out here. At least where I live (around the lakes) this is the case. The food is good, museums and theater seem very decent, and outdoor activities surpass Beantown.

I'm just amazed at the number of people I see outside. Maybe because they've all been trapped inside all winter. But it really is stunning. I can't wait to move into our house on June 1 and get organized/moving.
That's good to hear... I was contemplating someplace warm for a while, but I still have yet to hear anything negative about the city.

I'm extremely excited / overwhelmed. I need to find a place to live, roommate(s), figure out a way to move up there, which is a little overwhelming, and I really don't even know where to start with it all... When I moved to Boston from Texas I just packed everything in my car and drove, this time around I have too much furniture.

Damn me for buying a bed, the floor is good enough.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SpAcEmAn SpLiFF

Bronze

Post by SpAcEmAn SpLiFF » Mon May 18, 2009 6:26 pm

just got my acceptance packet today. yiiikes didnt think id get any money at all, but they gave me a good amount. now im sorta looking at going to minnesota. what major cities do the place well in (outside of the twin cities)?

Paul

New

Post by Paul » Mon May 18, 2009 10:20 pm

Spacemanspliff of JDU? Are you goading us to say something stupid?

OldMinnesotan

New

Post by OldMinnesotan » Wed May 20, 2009 4:00 am

I've lived and worked in MPLS for the past 5 years. I got to say that I love the city. While the public trans is not as good as other large cities I've lived in, the fact that MPLS is table flat makes biking it a good deal easier for most folks than it is in say Seattle. As far as housing goes, don't live too close to the school, as you may likely get taken by an unscrupulous landlord for way too much rent. As homes in MPLS proper are generally in the 200-300k do not commit to anything over $1500/ month as you could just buy a house for that money. If you are torn, confused or anything else, you can pm me, and I will try to be of as much assistance as I can render between wrangling the babies.

Good luck and I look forward to meeting all of you. I am the 6'7" graying ex-lineman looking fella, impossible to miss.
Cheers,
OldMinnesotan

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Wed May 20, 2009 2:29 pm

Hey, OldMinnesotan! Glad to see I'm not the only gray-hair in next year's class. I've got young-uns I'm wrangling as well, but fortunately we got up here early and got them into some pretty decent city schools - so my days are free to explore the city (in fact, I just found the Lyndale Farmers' Market - whee!)

See you at orientation.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”