Texas Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Snooker

Bronze

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Post by Snooker » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:06 pm

Anyone who wants to hang out at the law school would be happy to know that they have a huge board game collection in the 4th floor lounge area on the library, where you're allowed to have snacks. Curiously, they managed to collect around a dozen law-related board games, even an anti-trust version of monopoly...

Snooker

Bronze

Post by Snooker » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:12 pm

Cogito wrote:
lsatismybitchlover wrote:So let me get this straight, is section 3 the only one with no laptop restrictions? Of so, that is awesome.
No laptops in kaden's contract class.

Edit: no laptops in blais' property class either.

Guess we're all in this together.
imo they should lump all these no-computer professors into one big no-computer section and give everyone a right at freshlaw to designate whether they'd prefer a class where nobody uses computers.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:30 pm

Snooker wrote:Anyone who wants to hang out at the law school would be happy to know that they have a huge board game collection in the 4th floor lounge area on the library, where you're allowed to have snacks. Curiously, they managed to collect around a dozen law-related board games, even an anti-trust version of monopoly...
I saw that game. It looks effing hilarious...small business entrepreneurs vs. big business monopolists. Battle to the death! We totally need to play sometime

Oh, and I really love the World War I posters in the lounge, telling you to EAT LESS!

Snooker

Bronze

Post by Snooker » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:31 pm

Esc wrote:Oh, and just to be a downer... --LinkRemoved--
During on-campus interviewing this year, the power is clearly with the recruiters. There are going to be a lot more law students looking for summer internships than employers looking for fresh talent.

We all know this. But do recruiters have to be so damn happy about it? Here's one report from a 2L at UT-Austin Law School:

I am walking up the stairs to get to my OCI appointment. I overhear some interviewers from various firms talking to each other as I hold the door for them and their heavy bags of firm-branded crap. One lady says to another, "Did you get a lot more applicants from UT this year?" Lady 2 says, "No, it was the usual number for us." Lady 1 replies, "I had 200 applicants from UT alone for the 15 total spots we will fill this year." Lady 2 says, "I think it's gonna be a great year for employers!" They all laugh.
:cry:
The operative question here is whether these are summer associate positions or are for 3L hiring. It sounds like the comment above is about 3Ls, since it would be peculiar for a recruiter to make such comments about the flood of applications. The number of people placing summer associate bids is simply 100% of the biglaw bound students every year, and that figure is relatively static from year to year.

Walter Sobchak

New

Post by Walter Sobchak » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:21 pm

It sounds like the comment above is about 3Ls, since it would be peculiar for a recruiter to make such comments about the flood of applications. The number of people placing summer associate bids is simply 100% of the biglaw bound students every year, and that figure is relatively static from year to year.
I don't think this is right. People who place top 10% are bidding on firms lower down the list "just to be safe" as opposed to previous years. So, if the firm in question usually only attracts a certain # of students, and these students are of "median" quality, they're going to be experiencing a rise in applications because those people at the 25% mark are going to be dropping applications to firms they usually wouldn't.

Texas, like all other schools, is experiencing a huge decline in hiring. Things shouldn't be as bad for us IL's but it's still going to suck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:33 pm

Snooker wrote:
During on-campus interviewing this year, the power is clearly with the recruiters. There are going to be a lot more law students looking for summer internships than employers looking for fresh talent.

We all know this. But do recruiters have to be so damn happy about it? Here's one report from a 2L at UT-Austin Law School:

I am walking up the stairs to get to my OCI appointment. I overhear some interviewers from various firms talking to each other as I hold the door for them and their heavy bags of firm-branded crap. One lady says to another, "Did you get a lot more applicants from UT this year?" Lady 2 says, "No, it was the usual number for us." Lady 1 replies, "I had 200 applicants from UT alone for the 15 total spots we will fill this year." Lady 2 says, "I think it's gonna be a great year for employers!" They all laugh.
The operative question here is whether these are summer associate positions or are for 3L hiring. It sounds like the comment above is about 3Ls, since it would be peculiar for a recruiter to make such comments about the flood of applications. The number of people placing summer associate bids is simply 100% of the biglaw bound students every year, and that figure is relatively static from year to year.
The article specifically makes clear that this is referring to rising 2L OCI, not graveyard rising 3L OCI

Snooker

Bronze

Post by Snooker » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:21 pm

Esc wrote:
Snooker wrote:

The article specifically makes clear that this is referring to rising 2L OCI, not graveyard rising 3L OCI
That is indeed astute and lawyerly attention to detail, however the article only makes clear that a 2L observed the exchange. Given what we know about the context of the exchange, it seems unlikely that the anyone overhearing it would be able to discern whether they referred to 2Ls or 3Ls. (Given, the OCI site states: "Employers may recruit 2Ls, 3Ls, LL.M.s, and recent graduates for summer clerkships or postgraduate positions.)

Walter's analysis does make me stop to think, but the recruiter noted 200 applications for 15 spots. That's a lot more than just the top 10% of a class; that sounds more like just under half of the 2L class or 3L class bidding on the same firm. I am still a bit fuzzy on our OCI policies, but it sounds like in Texas OCI you get a maximum of 60 firms to apply to in order of preference (blind to employers). I would imagine Texas-bound applicants would always apply to all the big texas firms, so it'd be unsurprising that 40% or so of the class would do so, with another 30% applying out of state and another 30% looking at government & PI.

bonnieblue

Bronze

Post by bonnieblue » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:07 pm

anyone have Perry for Con Law I? I have him in undergrad for con law and he threatened to kick someone out of class today hahah

1000bmr

New

Post by 1000bmr » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:10 pm

what did they do?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bonnieblue

Bronze

Post by bonnieblue » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:14 pm

they couldn't remember what was in Article 3 of the constitution

Stephanie13

Bronze

Post by Stephanie13 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:28 pm

Since this is such an active board and everyone seems really nice.. I thought I'd post requesting some advice..

I am a Texas resident hoping to get into UT law in 2010. I have a 3.82 LSDAS gpa and ok softs including a year working abroad (fluent in Mandarin) and a current internship at a DA's office. According to LSN, I should have a solid LSAT score of 166 to get into UT but do I have reason to believe that I might be able to get in with something a little lower?

I've already taken the LSAT once and scored several points below what I was practicing. I am retaking in September and hope to do much better but not sure I can hit the magic 166. Any advice or stories of people getting in with a lower LSAT?

Thanks so much in advance!!

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:24 am

bonnieblue wrote:they couldn't remember what was in Article 3 of the constitution
ahaha, this happened yesterday. He misled this one guy in our class as to the contents of Article III to see if he would catch the lie; the guy didn't, and Perry spent the next thirty minutes mocking him

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:33 am

Stephanie13 wrote:Since this is such an active board and everyone seems really nice.. I thought I'd post requesting some advice..

I am a Texas resident hoping to get into UT law in 2010. I have a 3.82 LSDAS gpa and ok softs including a year working abroad (fluent in Mandarin) and a current internship at a DA's office. According to LSN, I should have a solid LSAT score of 166 to get into UT but do I have reason to believe that I might be able to get in with something a little lower?

I've already taken the LSAT once and scored several points below what I was practicing. I am retaking in September and hope to do much better but not sure I can hit the magic 166. Any advice or stories of people getting in with a lower LSAT?

Thanks so much in advance!!
Wassaap

Keep in mind that UT's median numbers for last year's entering class were 167/3.62 (we won't find out this year's numbers for a few more days, but if UT follows the T14's pattern there is a good chance median GPA at least will rise), so a 166 is really the minimum LSAT score that will give you a comfortable chance at getting in, and that is only because of your good GPA. You really want to hit at least a 167 to be sure of getting in (and for extra incentive, keep in mind that with a 168 or 169 you could see scholarship money).

Once you go below 166, your chances are going to drop off dramatically, and you will likely be waitlisted if not outright rejected.

Good luck!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

yournamehere

New

Post by yournamehere » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:04 am

Esc is basically right - 166 is going to give you a great shot, below that and you might have to get lucky.

The softs are decent, but what might give you an extra nudge is if you can get a recommendation from the DA or any lawyer in the office that you're interning in, especially if that happens to be UT Law alum. I'm not sure if you can get in with something below a 166, but I was under the impression that it was slightly easier to get into UT Law if you were an in-state student, because 65% of the class is required to be in-state. I could be wrong though.

Stephanie13

Bronze

Post by Stephanie13 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:22 am

Thanks guys. Yea I was afraid of this answer but I will be studying my butt off for that 166 or higher! Also you're right about the 65% percent having to be in-state although I'm not sure that that translates into allowing for a lower LSAT score either since I imagine there is still quite a demand for UT from in-staters. Also do you really think that getting a recommendation from a lawyer at the DA's office would really help all that much? If so then I will definitely look into getting one!

1000bmr

New

Post by 1000bmr » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:53 am

i wouldn't worry that much about your lsat. it seems a bit dramatic to quibble over a point or two, especially since you're a good .2 gpa above the median. by all means, take the lsat again to try to improve your odds, but don't fret it. just be totally relaxed about it, and whatever happens will happen. if you want to go to ut next year, you should have that opportunity regardless of what happens.

Stephanie13

Bronze

Post by Stephanie13 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:23 pm

1000bmr wrote:i wouldn't worry that much about your lsat. it seems a bit dramatic to quibble over a point or two, especially since you're a good .2 gpa above the median. by all means, take the lsat again to try to improve your odds, but don't fret it. just be totally relaxed about it, and whatever happens will happen. if you want to go to ut next year, you should have that opportunity regardless of what happens.
thanks! this makes me feel much better but i can't help but be anxious about the whole thing..

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:57 pm

Stephanie13 wrote:Thanks guys. Yea I was afraid of this answer but I will be studying my butt off for that 166 or higher! Also you're right about the 65% percent having to be in-state although I'm not sure that that translates into allowing for a lower LSAT score either since I imagine there is still quite a demand for UT from in-staters. Also do you really think that getting a recommendation from a lawyer at the DA's office would really help all that much? If so then I will definitely look into getting one!
I don't know how much such a letter might help you. But I do know you can make a strong case for your candidacy by writing a compelling personal statement. Work on that PS!

Good luck.

Stephanie13

Bronze

Post by Stephanie13 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:28 pm

thanks guys, y'all have been so helpful and supportive! i know i would love UT just knowing that the law students are so great there! (ok that was a little mushy, but i really appreciate it!)

1000bmr

New

Post by 1000bmr » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:35 pm

on that tender note, has anybody really noticed any gunners? section 4 seems as relaxed as can be. of course there are people that like talking in class, but nobody's being a jerk about it.

yournamehere

New

Post by yournamehere » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:45 pm

agreed on section 4 ... only one guy who i would consider obnoxious, but he's obviously not a gunner.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:00 am

1000bmr wrote:on that tender note, has anybody really noticed any gunners? section 4 seems as relaxed as can be. of course there are people that like talking in class, but nobody's being a jerk about it.
Section 4 is pretty sweet. Lots of good discussion, but no gunning. There were several points that people made today that I hadn't thought of until they brought it up. Good stuff.

art vandelay

Bronze

Post by art vandelay » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:29 am

Yo Yo, anyone want to a ticket to the game on Saturday for $20? It's with the law student group. PM me.

penni_rose

Bronze

Post by penni_rose » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:40 pm

Esc wrote:
1000bmr wrote:on that tender note, has anybody really noticed any gunners? section 4 seems as relaxed as can be. of course there are people that like talking in class, but nobody's being a jerk about it.
Section 4 is pretty sweet. Lots of good discussion, but no gunning. There were several points that people made today that I hadn't thought of until they brought it up. Good stuff.
Section 4 gets a lot of love on this forum. I agree as well. There is the one obnoxious guy (if you don't know who I'm talking about, it's probably you). I have a vague theory that he might be on this website.

I also have a theory about who Esc is, but I have yet to confirm it.

I heard there were some serious crazies in one of the other sections, not sure which one, but the phrase "burn book" was mentioned. If that's your section, I want to hear more about it.

jester36

New

Post by jester36 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:52 pm

There's a guy in section 1 that constantly raises his hand, in crim anyways, but the professor never acknowledges him.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”