Texas Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Esc

Silver

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Post by Esc » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:58 am

JazzOne wrote:
Esc wrote:
Snooker wrote:looking at the recent fresh law schedule, I notice that all of the advanced legal research classes are from 11:30 - 12:20 on some days of the week. For section 3, that means we'd have classes straight into the afternoon to 3:00 with no break for lunch. wtf?
Your first class is at 10:30AM. I just can't feel too sorry for you.

You should feel sorry for ME! All the electives I wanted to take are during my core classes. :x
Me too. I have some prior expertise in biology and bioethics in particular. I am very disappointed that I can't the Bioethics & Law class. I even mentioned that class in my PS.
Sucks, doesn't it? Now we have to wait and hope that our respective interesting classes are offered again before we graduate. For me, the class I wanted to take *usually* seems to be offered every two years, so hopefully I can take it in 3L. If I'm not busy with some other required crap.

Gah. Its brief writing for me this spring :evil:

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:00 pm

Esc wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
Esc wrote:
Snooker wrote:looking at the recent fresh law schedule, I notice that all of the advanced legal research classes are from 11:30 - 12:20 on some days of the week. For section 3, that means we'd have classes straight into the afternoon to 3:00 with no break for lunch. wtf?

You should feel sorry for ME! All the electives I wanted to take are during my core classes. :x
Me too. I have some prior expertise in biology and bioethics in particular. I am very disappointed that I can't the Bioethics & Law class. I even mentioned that class in my PS.
Sucks, doesn't it? Now we have to wait and hope that our respective interesting classes are offered again before we graduate. For me, the class I wanted to take *usually* seems to be offered every two years, so hopefully I can take it in 3L. If I'm not busy with some other required crap.

Gah. Its brief writing for me this spring :evil:
I'm going to try for the brief writing as well. Although, Professor Silver is pretty cool, so I might get that Professional Responsibility course out of the way.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:07 pm

JazzOne wrote: I'm going to try for the brief writing as well. Although, Professor Silver is pretty cool, so I might get that Professional Responsibility course out of the way.
The 2Ls at my society's registration advising session said that Professional Responsibility is death for 1Ls, if I remember correctly. Something about needing to know magic unicorn information that 1Ls aren't privileged to learn about, or something. Regardless, they said that the highest grade a 1L got in their Prof. Resp. class was a B. I think. Or maybe I don't remember anything.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:51 pm

Esc wrote:
JazzOne wrote: I'm going to try for the brief writing as well. Although, Professor Silver is pretty cool, so I might get that Professional Responsibility course out of the way.
The 2Ls at my society's registration advising session said that Professional Responsibility is death for 1Ls, if I remember correctly. Something about needing to know magic unicorn information that 1Ls aren't privileged to learn about, or something. Regardless, they said that the highest grade a 1L got in their Prof. Resp. class was a B. I think. Or maybe I don't remember anything.
Good to know. Thanks. I'll talk to Prof. Silver about it before I decide.

penni_rose

Bronze

Post by penni_rose » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:20 pm

Esc wrote:

That happened to me too. I was planning to take copyright, because my background is publishing and I've taken copyright before. Nope. Same time as contracts. Totally frustrating. I've been obsessing over what I could possibly take all day and I keep changing my selections.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:54 am

Esc wrote:
Interesting. I heard Prof. Resp. is a piece of cake when Diezenkowski(?) teaches it. I can see it being tough with Silver. I'm in his Civ Pro class right now.

penni_rose

Bronze

Post by penni_rose » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:50 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
Esc wrote:
Interesting. I heard Prof. Resp. is a piece of cake when Diezenkowski(?) teaches it. I can see it being tough with Silver. I'm in his Civ Pro class right now.
It was Diezenkowski that said what Esc is talking about. He said that he had to have a separate 1L curve b/c the highest 1L grade in his prof responsibility class was the equivalent of a B on the other curve. This is because it's stuff that 1Ls won't have learned anywhere else. He also warned that not all profs will give 1Ls a separate curve.

reidmacharg

New

Post by reidmacharg » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:00 pm

Does anyone know someone who took antitrust with Joshua Wright last year? If so, could you get your hands on an outline?
Thanks for your help.

nukelaloosh

New

Post by nukelaloosh » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:27 pm

2012-

A question for those students that "commute" to UT for class:

How far away do you live from campus/how far of a drive is feasible during your first year?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:29 pm

nukelaloosh wrote:2012-

How far away do you live from campus/how far of a drive is feasible during your first year?
see pm

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:36 pm

Esc wrote:

see pm
ESC, can you post the answer to the second part of that question here as well? I'm already starting to look up places on craigslist, but i'm afraid to wander too far

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:44 pm

f0bolous wrote:
Esc wrote:

see pm
ESC, can you post the answer to the second part of that question here as well? I'm already starting to look up places on craigslist, but i'm afraid to wander too far
see pm

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:48 pm

I live in Hyde Park. It takes 10 minutes to get to school when my GF drops me off, and it takes me 15 minutes if I ride the bus. My suggestion is to become familiar with the UT Shuttle route and get a place close to a bus stop. There really is no reason to drive and park near campus.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nukelaloosh

New

Post by nukelaloosh » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:12 pm

JazzOne wrote:

I live in Hyde Park. It takes 10 minutes to get to school when my GF drops me off, and it takes me 15 minutes if I ride the bus. My suggestion is to become familiar with the UT Shuttle route and get a place close to a bus stop. There really is no reason to drive and park near campus.
Important information omitted in my last post: I must live north of town b/c the sig other has a job that she cannot leave. I am mainly interested in seeing if anyone lives in Round Rock or Georgetown and how feasible that commute might be.

Thanks.

yournamehere

New

Post by yournamehere » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:21 am

a friend of mine lives around 10 miles north of the UT campus (not sure of the actual location) and takes the shuttle to and from class daily. It's one of those things that is certainly doable, but can require a lot of planning your day and regimenting your time closely. If that's something you do pretty regularly, and is part of your personality, then go for it. Personally, I absolutely suck at planning that kind of thing out, which is why I chose to live extremely close to campus.

EDIT: Just remembered that he said study groups turned into a giant hassle, but that is mainly because he was trying to coordinate with people who were less than responsible.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:49 am

nukelaloosh wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

Important information omitted in my last post: I must live north of town b/c the sig other has a job that she cannot leave. I am mainly interested in seeing if anyone lives in Round Rock or Georgetown and how feasible that commute might be.
Thanks.
Damn, the drive from Round Rock can be brutal during rush hour. I'm sure you can figure out some workable schedule, but you're going to spend a lot of money on gas, and you'll probably spend 2 hours/day in the car.

Walter Sobchak

New

Post by Walter Sobchak » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:17 am

Does anybody know how to calculate top 50/25/10 percent of the class? They have the old grade reports for 2L's and 3L's, but does anyone know what the breakdown is for 1L's this year?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:21 am

Walter Sobchak wrote:Does anybody know how to calculate top 50/25/10 percent of the class? They have the old grade reports for 2L's and 3L's, but does anyone know what the breakdown is for 1L's this year?
Grades haven't been reported for the whole class. I'm no expert in stats, but I think all the grades would have to be reported in order to determine those breakdowns. I mean, it could probably be estimated. What were the numbers for 2Ls and 3Ls.

Snooker

Bronze

Post by Snooker » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:58 am

JazzOne wrote:
nukelaloosh wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

Thanks.
Damn, the drive from Round Rock can be brutal during rush hour. I'm sure you can figure out some workable schedule, but you're going to spend a lot of money on gas, and you'll probably spend 2 hours/day in the car.
best plan would be to work some irregular hours I think, like 7:00 to 3:30. The rest of the time can be spent at home. Definitely get a parking permit, you can get one by buying the SJG permit over the summer and then renewing it for fall.

longhornnyc

New

Post by longhornnyc » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:02 pm

Has anyone had Graglia (Con), Buel (Crim), or Rodriguez (Property)? Could use outlines/advice!

nukelaloosh

New

Post by nukelaloosh » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:56 am

Snooker wrote:
best plan would be to work some irregular hours I think, like 7:00 to 3:30. The rest of the time can be spent at home. Definitely get a parking permit, you can get one by buying the SJG permit over the summer and then renewing it for fall.
Thanks-- pm sent.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:35 pm

longhornnyc wrote:Has anyone had Graglia (Con), Buel (Crim), or Rodriguez (Property)? Could use outlines/advice!
I didn't know you were in section 2.

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:37 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Walter Sobchak wrote:Does anybody know how to calculate top 50/25/10 percent of the class? They have the old grade reports for 2L's and 3L's, but does anyone know what the breakdown is for 1L's this year?
Grades haven't been reported for the whole class. I'm no expert in stats, but I think all the grades would have to be reported in order to determine those breakdowns. I mean, it could probably be estimated. What were the numbers for 2Ls and 3Ls.
If I recall correctly, 3.64 = top 25% for last year's 1L's. That's not bad at all. But I don't know much these quartile numbers vary each year.

Walter Sobchak

New

Post by Walter Sobchak » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:33 pm

The only thing I could find was the grade report for 2L's and 3L's, where a 3.56 was top 25% for 2L's. I'm not sure if that took all of 1L year into account or what the deal was though.

txgirl1229

New

Post by txgirl1229 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:22 am

An older friend told me that the 25th percentile almost always hovers around 3.6 after 1L year is over, so I am guessing it will be right around there when our class' numbers are released. I am wondering how to calculate the top 10th percentile from those numbers (or if that's even possible to do accurately). Any math majors? haha, I am over a 3.6, but just wondering exactly where my GPA puts me. I don't find Texas' whole no-rankings policy helpful at all! I like to know where I stand!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”