summer between college and law school Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
plewis01

New

summer between college and law school

Post by plewis01 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:17 pm

Under the hypothetical scenario of already having gotten into my top choice law school from right out of undergrad, I find myself wondering what to do with the summer between.

I have never had a legit legal internship/job. Would doing this be advantageous to me now or should I do something more for myself?

In a top25 school, how easy is it to get a job for the summer after your first year without any prior relevant experience?

dooder

New

Re: summer between college and law school

Post by dooder » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:53 pm

plewis01 wrote:Under the hypothetical scenario of already having gotten into my top choice law school from right out of undergrad, I find myself wondering what to do with the summer between.

I have never had a legit legal internship/job. Would doing this be advantageous to me now or should I do something more for myself?

In a top25 school, how easy is it to get a job for the summer after your first year without any prior relevant experience?
It's not about prior experience, it's about the fact that you'll only be working for three months. I say get a temp job or something where they won't miss you if you quit after a couple of months...

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:07 pm

Do something you'll enjoy. If you have the means, I suggest traveling.

I think I might quit work a month early and go to Santorini for a few weeks, or perhaps take a cross country road trip. I've never been to the West Coast, so that might be good.

Oblomov

Bronze

Post by Oblomov » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:21 pm

Drink.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:03 am

Do any/everything you want to do, because came Fall, you won't be able to anymore.

P.S. This is my plan.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

art vandelay

Bronze

Post by art vandelay » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:12 am

I plan on having the time of my life here in my remaining months of UG. Then I'll work all summer and take a road trip to the East coast. I've never been to DC or NYC. Growing up my family basically only vacationed in CA or New England, so there's lots I wanna see.

Come August, I don't expect to be having much fun, so I wanna get it all out of my system.

hwmyones

Bronze

Post by hwmyones » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:21 am

I suggest doing nothing the summer between undergrad and law school. It's very difficult/depressing going straight through and you really want to do something that is relaxing, enjoyable and can hold you over for a few years. If I could go back I'd have probably taken a full year off, but if you're set on going straight through make sure you do something that keeps you busy and happy.

chadstew55

Bronze

Post by chadstew55 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:34 pm

This post was complete rubbish anyways. You didn't miss anything.
Last edited by chadstew55 on Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chadstew55

Bronze

Post by chadstew55 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:38 pm

art vandelay wrote:I plan on having the time of my life here in my remaining months of UG. Then I'll work all summer and take a road trip to the East coast. I've never been to DC or NYC. Growing up my family basically only vacationed in CA or New England, so there's lots I wanna see.

Come August, I don't expect to be having much fun, so I wanna get it all out of my system.
vandelay... you are probably going to be in Austin in August. I bet you will be having the time of your life then. All the 1Ls at UT act like they are never wanting for time to party on 6th street.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jawsome

New

Post by jawsome » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:03 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:Do any/everything you want to do, because came Fall, you won't be able to anymore.

P.S. This is my plan.
Mine too. Life is going nowhere but downhill come fall (especially for the next 3-5 years). I'm planning on being completely gluttonous/a waste of life until August whenever possible. By this I mean drinking heavily and performing my job at a bare minimum.

enygma

Bronze

Post by enygma » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:34 pm

traveltraveltraveltraveltraveltraveltraveltravel

aguacaliente

New

Post by aguacaliente » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:50 pm

travel, for sure.

i spent the summer bumming around central america with basically no money. turned out to be the best time ever.

Globetrekker

New

Post by Globetrekker » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:52 pm

Travel...and working at Cold Stone.

Free ice cream and the last time in my life I can go to work at 11am and not use my brain.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

enygma

Bronze

Post by enygma » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:53 pm

aguacaliente wrote:travel, for sure.

i spent the summer bumming around central america with basically no money. turned out to be the best time ever.
hmmm... tell me more. how much is "basically no"?

aguacaliente

New

Post by aguacaliente » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:10 pm

past my plane ticket, i spent about $600 and was there for a month. for an even cheaper trip, i'd suggest hitting just panama or nicaragua. CR is a bit more expensive, (relatively speaking).

all in all, though, if you travel the right way (meaning hostels and public buses, cooking your own food at the hostels that allow it) you can travel for extremely cheap. you'll meet amazing people, both locals and other travelers, and have the time of your life. don't make the mistake of thinking that trips have to be expensive and filled with luxury hotels and meals. skip that, and you'll be better off for it and enjoy it more.

just get a backpack, fit everything in that, and go. i went with only 1 night's reservation in san jose, cr the night i landed. past that, i travelled for a month in CR and Nicaragua just going day by day, planning as i went. if you could work this semester and save up some cash, you wouldn't regret it, even if you can't go for a long period. even 2 or maybe 3 weeks is enough to relax and cut loose for a while.

aguacaliente

New

Post by aguacaliente » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:11 pm

cbarlet, nice avatar.

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:58 pm

aguacaliente wrote:past my plane ticket, i spent about $600 and was there for a month. for an even cheaper trip, i'd suggest hitting just panama or nicaragua. CR is a bit more expensive, (relatively speaking).

all in all, though, if you travel the right way (meaning hostels and public buses, cooking your own food at the hostels that allow it) you can travel for extremely cheap. you'll meet amazing people, both locals and other travelers, and have the time of your life. don't make the mistake of thinking that trips have to be expensive and filled with luxury hotels and meals. skip that, and you'll be better off for it and enjoy it more.

just get a backpack, fit everything in that, and go. i went with only 1 night's reservation in san jose, cr the night i landed. past that, i travelled for a month in CR and Nicaragua just going day by day, planning as i went. if you could work this semester and save up some cash, you wouldn't regret it, even if you can't go for a long period. even 2 or maybe 3 weeks is enough to relax and cut loose for a while.
I think I'm going to do this, but around the US. Bring what food I can, gas is cheapish right now, sleep in the car two out of three nights. It should be a blast.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

aguacaliente

New

Post by aguacaliente » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:11 am

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
aguacaliente wrote:past my plane ticket, i spent about $600 and was there for a month. for an even cheaper trip, i'd suggest hitting just panama or nicaragua. CR is a bit more expensive, (relatively speaking).

I think I'm going to do this, but around the US. Bring what food I can, gas is cheapish right now, sleep in the car two out of three nights. It should be a blast.
i'd take a tent and go for it. sleeping in the car can start to suck really quick, but a tent and sleeping bag pretty much never gets old. also, if you haven't heard of couchsurfing, check it out. it's a great resource and i've met lots of people on it. a great way to see new cities/meet cool people.

enygma

Bronze

Post by enygma » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:23 pm

don't suppose you have any idea how much south america runs relatively speaking do you?

i'm trying to decide between this and biking across the US and it's turning out to be quite a tough choice.

samsocks

New

Post by samsocks » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:19 pm

cbarlet wrote:Travel...and working at Cold Stone.

Free ice cream and the last time in my life I can go to work at 11am and not use my brain.
Good idea! I've been working at Einstein's Bagels for three years [oh fun working full time with bagels!] and I'm just going to do what I do every summer - work there and travel during breaks.

jjr3

New

-

Post by jjr3 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:24 pm

-
Last edited by jjr3 on Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:32 pm

aguacaliente wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:

i'd take a tent and go for it. sleeping in the car can start to suck really quick, but a tent and sleeping bag pretty much never gets old. also, if you haven't heard of couchsurfing, check it out. it's a great resource and i've met lots of people on it. a great way to see new cities/meet cool people.
I've got friends in enough places that I should have enough couches. Also, my car is big enough that I can fit an air mattress in the back. Actually, the last time I went camping I ended up spending the last few nights sleeping in my car across the back seat, and it was great.

My one concern comes from being paranoid. Woman traveling alone, maybe it shouldn't freak me out, but it does a bit.

joefiore

New

Post by joefiore » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:52 am

Is law school really the end of life as you know it? Haha it seems like people think its 3 years of torture. I still plan on having some fun every once in a while :)

With that said, I think I'll live at home, hangout, and maybe apply to teach for Kaplan lol...they pay pretty well.

chitown825

Bronze

Post by chitown825 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:54 am

Start a band, become huge, split up

Lawyered

New

Post by Lawyered » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:14 am

Last edited by Lawyered on Wed May 20, 2009 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”